Trade Deadline (Nov 3)

bealeb319

Trade Deadline is less than a week away was wondering who everyone thinks the Jets could or should trade for to improve our roster?

My opinions are

RB pretty clear we need a running back to relieve Ivory as he is getting beat down from carrying to much of the load three possibilities I could see. I know we have Ridley but we have not seen him play and with the trade deadline creeping up we might not have time to take chances if we want to remain a contender.

Matt Forte - (yes he is old and this would be a short term thing but he is still very talented and at the very least more than talented enough to play a backup role behind Ivory) we could probably land Forte cheap also as the Bears are clearly getting ready to rebuild.

Alfred Morris - The Redskins are unlikely to be looking to trade Morris however his production has been steadily declining since his rookie season and he might become expendable with the rise of Matt Jones.

CJ Anderson - Anderson had a strong finish to last season but this year he is slacking which could be due to a new offensive system (Peyton is also struggling a bit) if the Broncos were willing to deal him he could be a good compliment to Ivory.

TE maybe next season Amaro will come back and step up but right now we could use help at tight end. Vernon Davis and Gates could probably be dealt away at the right price but they might both be passed their prime. There is only one tight end I personally would be interested in trading for and it might be a bit of a longshot.

Zach Ertz - The kid has the physical tools to be a great tight end but he hasn't really done anything for the Eagles. Chip Kelly is very particular about what type of players he wants on his roster and has obviously been known to make some trades that leave people scratching their heads. For the right price I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Ertz.

that's my short list I am sure many of you will disagree with the whole thing or want to trade for an LB and I would love to hear who everyone else thinks we should try and target before the trade deadline.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Deadline is less than a week away was wondering who everyone thinks the Jets could or should trade for to improve our roster?

My opinions are

RB pretty clear we need a running back to relieve Ivory as he is getting beat down from carrying to much of the load three possibilities I could see. I know we have Ridley but we have not seen him play and with the trade deadline creeping up we might not have time to take chances if we want to remain a contender.

Matt Forte - (yes he is old and this would be a short term thing but he is still very talented and at the very least more than talented enough to play a backup role behind Ivory) we could probably land Forte cheap also as the Bears are clearly getting ready to rebuild.

Alfred Morris - The Redskins are unlikely to be looking to trade Morris however his production has been steadily declining since his rookie season and he might become expendable with the rise of Matt Jones.

CJ Anderson - Anderson had a strong finish to last season but this year he is slacking which could be due to a new offensive system (Peyton is also struggling a bit) if the Broncos were willing to deal him he could be a good compliment to Ivory.

TE maybe next season Amaro will come back and step up but right now we could use help at tight end. Vernon Davis and Gates could probably be dealt away at the right price but they might both be passed their prime. There is only one tight end I personally would be interested in trading for and it might be a bit of a longshot.

Zach Ertz - The kid has the physical tools to be a great tight end but he hasn't really done anything for the Eagles. Chip Kelly is very particular about what type of players he wants on his roster and has obviously been known to make some trades that leave people scratching their heads. For the right price I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Ertz.

that's my short list I am sure many of you will disagree with the whole thing or want to trade for an LB and I would love to hear who everyone else thinks we should try and target before the trade deadline.

no and no.

both bad ideas.

We do not need a rb. Ivory is fine and ridley-stacy are very solid back ups.  

We do need a tight end though. I doubt gates or ertz get traded. If ertz can't get open in Martz system. .  

I think martellus Bennett makes more sense.  

Forgot about Bennett he has been mostly quiet this season also and he is a pretty good talent

My opinions are

Good thread, glad you started it. Hopefully it doesn't become Fitz Flailing.

I think Forte would be a really interesting guy to target. He's playing in the last year of his deal right now (I think), and I don't believe the Bears could get too much for him. That said, we've got Ivory and I'm not sure Forte's cost constitutes what I'd pay a part-time player. Looking around the league, I believe what we really need is something more like the Jeremy Hill/Gio Bernard backfield. A guy I would love to see us make a play for would be Jerrick McKinnon in Minny. I couldn't speculate as to how available he'd be, but with AD they don't really give anyone else touches. I think he'd be an excellent complement to Ivory, and worth finding a role for in our offense.

I also like Tre Mason. I'm not sure what he'd be worth in a trade, but he showed well last year (with no QB) and could pair well with Ivory. Tampa is garbage, and they seem fully invested in Doug Martin and Charles Sims, so a guy that may be had cheap there could be Bobby Rainey

My logic on acquiring a back would be to get a guy with stand-alone promise, but who is ideal for a committee that would be designed to get Ivory 18-20 carries and whoever we pair him with about 10 touches, maybe half of those as receptions. I'm not a believer in Alf Morris or CJ Anderson, both are plodders and don't look like they perform at the level of their reputations.

As for TE, I'd avoid guys like Vernon Davis and Gates. San Diego is going to keep Gates a Charger for life. He's one of the great "out of nowhere" stories in the history of the league. We might try and pry a guy like Garrett Graham away from Houston. He proved he can be a pass catcher and capable blocker in the run game in the Kubiak offense, but O'brien isn't utilizing him in the mess he's making there. If we wanted to go big or go home, the Martellus Bennett

It's rare high-profile guys get moved at the deadline... but some "do your job well" mid-roster guys would go a long way for this team.

Good thread, glad you started it. Hopefully it doesn't become Fitz Flailing.

I think Forte would be a really interesting guy to target. He's playing in the last year of his deal right now (I think), and I don't believe the Bears could get too much for him. That said, we've got Ivory and I'm not sure Forte's cost constitutes what I'd pay a part-time player. Looking around the league, I believe what we really need is something more like the Jeremy Hill/Gio Bernard backfield. A guy I would love to see us make a play for would be Jerrick McKinnon in Minny. I couldn't speculate as to how available he'd be, but with AD they don't really give anyone else touches. I think he'd be an excellent complement to Ivory, and worth finding a role for in our offense.

I also like Tre Mason. I'm not sure what he'd be worth in a trade, but he showed well last year (with no QB) and could pair well with Ivory. Tampa is garbage, and they seem fully invested in Doug Martin and Charles Sims, so a guy that may be had cheap there could be Bobby Rainey

My logic on acquiring a back would be to get a guy with stand-alone promise, but who is ideal for a committee that would be designed to get Ivory 18-20 carries and whoever we pair him with about 10 touches, maybe half of those as receptions. I'm not a believer in Alf Morris or CJ Anderson, both are plodders and don't look like they perform at the level of their reputations.

As for TE, I'd avoid guys like Vernon Davis and Gates. San Diego is going to keep Gates a Charger for life. He's one of the great "out of nowhere" stories in the history of the league. We might try and pry a guy like Garrett Graham away from Houston. He proved he can be a pass catcher and capable blocker in the run game in the Kubiak offense, but O'brien isn't utilizing him in the mess he's making there. If we wanted to go big or go home, the Martellus Bennett

It's rare high-profile guys get moved at the deadline... but some "do your job well" mid-roster guys would go a long way for this team.

Tre Mason would be a good target also though if we got him I would be complaining every week that he needs more snaps I really liked that kid last season and thought he could have really put up great numbers if the Rams weren't trying to use three backs.

lol you guys want to trade for an RB when we have ivory. QB is by far the biggest hole on this team

lol, the NFL is a 2 RB league.

Nobody is talking about replacing Ivory. The conversation is about having higher-caliber talent to pair with him.

It's a hypothetical conversation... one that doesn't involve conclusions drawn from make-believe things that didn't happen to support benching the starting QB on a 4-2 team.

As much as I love ivory he is not the type of back who can stay healthy for a full season simply because he runs so damn hard. if we do not get an insurance policy for him like a MAtt Forte who would be a great fit we might find ourselves without a back for the playoff run and through the playoffs and that would stop our run on a dime vs playoff caliber defenses..

Forte and Ivory could split time and Forte is a monster out of the backfield so he would be a great 3rd down option. He is the only back we know for a fact is available and if our organization is truly built to win now based on recent FA signings Forte makes total sense for a SB run

We do not need a rb. Ivory is fine and ridley-stacy are very solid back ups.  

We do need a tight end though. I doubt gates or ertz get traded. If ertz can't get open in Martz system. .  

I think martellus Bennett makes more sense.  

they aren't solid backups.  a 2nd RB is a must.  don't see us making any moves though.

no need to make a move for a TE, it's not a part of the offense.

Definitely should be perusing the teams with 1-6 records. Like someone else said Elvis Dumerville would be an absolute stud playing with these guys. Don't go crazy! Hypothetical talk. Interesting topic though. Scan the 1-6 teams & give me some guys that you'd like to trade for, for our playoff run. We do have CBs available.

As much as I love ivory he is not the type of back who can stay healthy for a full season simply because he runs so damn hard. if we do not get an insurance policy for him like a MAtt Forte who would be a great fit we might find ourselves without a back for the playoff run and through the playoffs and that would stop our run on a dime vs playoff caliber defenses..

Forte and Ivory could split time and Forte is a monster out of the backfield so he would be a great 3rd down option. He is the only back we know for a fact is available and if our organization is truly built to win now based on recent FA signings Forte makes total sense for a SB run

LOL Matt forte??? Great idea, let's also trade for Peyton manning to be our backup QB

lol, the NFL is a 2 RB league.

Nobody is talking about replacing Ivory. The conversation is about having higher-caliber talent to pair with him.

It's a hypothetical conversation... one that doesn't involve conclusions drawn from make-believe things that didn't happen to support benching the starting QB on a 4-2 team.

a backup RB isn't going to make the jets a contender. Tannenbaum isn't running the show anymore so no more treating draft picks like funny money when we have a fundamentally flawed team. We need all the ammo we have to get that QB and possibly even to replace ivory if we can't sign him for the right price

a backup RB isn't going to make the jets a contender. Tannenbaum isn't running the show anymore so no more treating draft picks like funny money when we have a fundamentally flawed team. We need all the ammo we have to get that QB and possibly even to replace ivory if we can't sign him for the right price

besides I want to see what Ridley looks like this week

Where did anyone say anything about it "making the Jets a contender"? 

Where did anyone say anything about flitting away draft picks for blockbuster trades?

The post I made was about acquiring low-cost (meaning trade cost) players to filling the glaring holes that are hindering our offense now. Garret Graham isn't going to cost us the draft picks that prohibit us from trading up for a QB. Neither is anyone like Rainey or Mason. Brandon Marshall cost us a 5th rounder. These guys, I would expect, could be acquired for far less.

Your reaction is no commensurate with the discussion points. Like usual.

Also, you're rebutting the idea of trading for a RB, because... wait for it... we may need to eventually replace Ivory.

Stick to neg repping everything, Sally.

I want all the players and I didn't want to cut Woodhead or Walt Powell either. 90 man roster!  Or Babin.  Or Chris Johnson.  Why can't we ever develop young players?

What young RB and TE do we have on the roster to develop right now?

I totally agree with you, as a generalization, but regarding these two particular positions on year's team... it doesn't apply, the "youth" isn't there. So, rather than watching a whole season with glaring needs at these positions, can't the fans have a "wouldn't it be nice if...." conversation?

Where did anyone say anything about it "making the Jets a contender"? 

Where did anyone say anything about flitting away draft picks for blockbuster trades?

The post I made was about acquiring low-cost (meaning trade cost) players to filling the glaring holes that are hindering our offense now. Garret Graham isn't going to cost us the draft picks that prohibit us from trading up for a QB. Neither is anyone like Rainey or Mason. Brandon Marshall cost us a 5th rounder. These guys, I would expect, could be acquired for far less.

Your reaction is no commensurate with the discussion points. Like usual.

Also, you're rebutting the idea of trading for a RB, because... wait for it... we may need to eventually replace Ivory.

Stick to neg repping everything, Sally.

how's your Fitzpatrick beard looking LOL? But yeah those ideas are moronic, tre mason was a 3rd round pick a year ago what makes you think the jets are going to get him for peanuts? Other than your delusional homerism

how's your Fitzpatrick beard looking LOL? But yeah those ideas are moronic, tre mason was a 3rd round pick a year ago what makes you think the jets are going to get him for peanuts? Other than your delusional homerism

My beard is glorious. I'm literally fighting half-naked women off everywhere I go... I'm like the Most Interesting Man in the World but instead of drinking sh*tty beer, I bathe in naked chicks.

How is your thin skin?

You offer some strong support of your argument here... comments about my beard and calling my ideas "moronic". 

I never said the Jets "are going to get him for peanuts", I said they are guys I would try and target that would be lower cost compared to a Forte. Context is a wonderful thing.

You are arguing against a hypothetical conversation AND against things that weren't actually said... this is going to go well for you. Obviously.

My beard is glorious. I'm literally fighting half-naked women off everywhere I go... I'm like the Most Interesting Man in the World but instead of drinking sh*tty beer, I bathe in naked chicks.

How is your thin skin?

You offer some strong support of your argument here... comments about my beard and calling my ideas "moronic". 

I never said the Jets "are going to get him for peanuts", I said they are guys I would try and target that would be lower cost compared to a Forte. Context is a wonderful thing.

You are arguing against a hypothetical conversation AND against things that weren't actually said... this is going to go well for you. Obviously.

so when the jets do not make any of the trades you suggested what then? Or will you be too busy posing in the mirror with a Fitzpatrick jersey on and pretending you're the jets QB?

I want all the players and I didn't want to cut Woodhead or Walt Powell either. 90 man roster!  Or Babin.  Or Chris Johnson.  Why can't we ever develop young players?

because we haven't been able to draft hardly any good ones Dom. Here, I have you hooked up with the Jets draftees starting from when Woody took over the team in 2000 and right underneath where it says 2000 New York Jets there is the "next season" link-click them and take a look at the sorry state of drafting affairs that this team's owner has presided over. It really helps to have an owner who actually has some knowledge of professional football instead of it being a way too rich man's hobby. Anybody remember that documentary on HBO some years ago about heirs to zillionaires and one of the kids was a Johnson family kid? His father (Woody's brother) made him find a "hobby" to spend his time and money on-the kid chose old maps-what a life, to be so focking loaded that your old man MAKES you find something to spend his money (that you were given) on

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2000_draft.htm

Archived