Trade Deadline (Nov 3)

bealeb319

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Deadline is less than a week away was wondering who everyone thinks the Jets could or should trade for to improve our roster?

My opinions are

RB pretty clear we need a running back to relieve Ivory as he is getting beat down from carrying to much of the load three possibilities I could see. I know we have Ridley but we have not seen him play and with the trade deadline creeping up we might not have time to take chances if we want to remain a contender.

Matt Forte - (yes he is old and this would be a short term thing but he is still very talented and at the very least more than talented enough to play a backup role behind Ivory) we could probably land Forte cheap also as the Bears are clearly getting ready to rebuild.

Alfred Morris - The Redskins are unlikely to be looking to trade Morris however his production has been steadily declining since his rookie season and he might become expendable with the rise of Matt Jones.

CJ Anderson - Anderson had a strong finish to last season but this year he is slacking which could be due to a new offensive system (Peyton is also struggling a bit) if the Broncos were willing to deal him he could be a good compliment to Ivory.

TE maybe next season Amaro will come back and step up but right now we could use help at tight end. Vernon Davis and Gates could probably be dealt away at the right price but they might both be passed their prime. There is only one tight end I personally would be interested in trading for and it might be a bit of a longshot.

Zach Ertz - The kid has the physical tools to be a great tight end but he hasn't really done anything for the Eagles. Chip Kelly is very particular about what type of players he wants on his roster and has obviously been known to make some trades that leave people scratching their heads. For the right price I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Ertz.

that's my short list I am sure many of you will disagree with the whole thing or want to trade for an LB and I would love to hear who everyone else thinks we should try and target before the trade deadline.

Forte is too expensive for the Jets. We have very little cap space remaining (maybe $3M max) and Forte would cost more than that. Things can always be moved around in an emergency, but we're not in an emergency and will still need at least a little flexibility going forward: the current roster has zero chance of needing absolutely no other transactions for the rest of the season.

If there's one thing the Jets need to back up Ivory, it is a backup RB with pass-catching skills superior to that of Ivory. I don't see how Alfred Morris fills that hole. He is also nominally the Redskins' starting RB and they are 1 game out of first place in their division. He's having a garbage season & it isn't all on his OL. Veteran pass blocking that will help keep Cousins upright is probably the only reason he's still starting over the rookie. Better chance of picking up their 3rd string guy Thompson. Reality is the only player they're likely interested in moving is RGIII.

Ertz is a pipe dream. Philadelphia, like Washington, is still very much in the playoff hunt. Knowing that, and with Kelly's job in question should they finish with a losing record, he's not going to dump a dirt-cheap young talent he hand-picked for a mid-round pick next year that he may not be around to use. Celek may be the nominal starter there, but when they want to throw to a TE they throw to Ertz 5:1 over Celek. We have a better chance of prying Celek loose than Ertz (not that getting Celek is on the trading block in the first place).

Making trades for starters, at this point in the season, means looking only to teams that are all but mathematically knocked out. Chicago probably qualifies, as they've put out hints that this or that player may be available (like Forte). But Washington and Philadelphia are 1 game out of first place in their division. They're not giving up starters for draft picks. You want a starter from them you have to give up a right-now starter they might covet, who we can still succeed without (e.g. Coples). Otherwise look at the 49ers, Detroit, and other teams who are already too far behind to have a prayer.

Forte is too expensive for the Jets. We have very little cap space remaining (maybe $3M max) and Forte would cost more than that. Things can always be moved around in an emergency, but we're not in an emergency and will still need at least a little flexibility going forward: the current roster has zero chance of needing absolutely no other transactions for the rest of the season.

If there's one thing the Jets need to back up Ivory, it is a backup RB with pass-catching skills superior to that of Ivory. I don't see how Alfred Morris fills that hole. He is also nominally the Redskins' starting RB and they are 1 game out of first place in their division. He's having a garbage season & it isn't all on his OL. Veteran pass blocking that will help keep Cousins upright is probably the only reason he's still starting over the rookie. Better chance of picking up their 3rd string guy Thompson. Reality is the only player they're likely interested in moving is RGIII.

Ertz is a pipe dream. Philadelphia, like Washington, is still very much in the playoff hunt. Knowing that, and with Kelly's job in question should they finish with a losing record, he's not going to dump a dirt-cheap young talent he hand-picked for a mid-round pick next year that he may not be around to use. Celek may be the nominal starter there, but when they want to throw to a TE they throw to Ertz 5:1 over Celek. We have a better chance of prying Celek loose than Ertz (not that getting Celek is on the trading block in the first place).

Making trades for starters, at this point in the season, means looking only to teams that are all but mathematically knocked out. Chicago probably qualifies, as they've put out hints that this or that player may be available (like Forte). But Washington and Philadelphia are 1 game out of first place in their division. They're not giving up starters for draft picks. You want a starter from them you have to give up a right-now starter they might covet, who we can still succeed without (e.g. Coples). Otherwise look at the 49ers, Detroit, and other teams who are already too far behind to have a prayer.

Hmmmm...Reggie Bush would be a nice pick-up....

I think we should inquire on the price for Forte because in my opinion we are a consistent running game away from being a very serious contender.  I am almost always against all trade proposals but occasionally these things work out and this might just be one of those times.

Worst to first or near worst to first almost never happens in the NFL but I really do not think the gap between us and New England is that large.  If the GM feels the same way maybe this is one of those rare occasions where you make that kind of a deal.

On a side note some posters are making almost every single thread almost unreadable with their Fitzpatrick nonsense.

What young RB and TE do we have on the roster to develop right now?

I totally agree with you, as a generalization, but regarding these two particular positions on year's team... it doesn't apply, the "youth" isn't there. So, rather than watching a whole season with glaring needs at these positions, can't the fans have a "wouldn't it be nice if...." conversation?

I am fine with the "what if?"  I am not too good with the "why don't we?"  "we have to"  The team is doing pretty well.  They are actually stacked at RB, but are dealing with 3 guys being injured at the same time.  TE is pretty barren right now, but Gailey does not seem to want one. If he did they probably would have made a move during the off-season.  They have Amaro and he seemed to be a complete afterthought.  You guys all hate on Zac Stacy - he is 24 years old.  I am not in love with the kid, but he is pretty good for a #3 or #4 RB. 

Hmmmm...Reggie Bush would be a nice pick-up....

Actually I think that's a good idea (at least on paper). He's a FA after this season, he costs like $800K the rest of the way, isn't going to command anything serious in trade to SF, and whatever he is or isn't anymore as a 15+ touch RB, he can certainly catch a football and by now knows how to pick up a blitz.

I know he's done a lot of nothing this season, but I don't know how much of that is him not having any gas left, how not-injured he is, or how much of it is just a no-win situation. He's not old-old. He's 30, an hasn't been hit much since the 2013 season (116 touches last year, 12 touches this year). Hard to say since he's barely touched the ball in his 4 active games and it's not like I'm glued to all things 49ers this year anyway.

Actually I think that's a good idea (at least on paper). He's a FA after this season, he costs like $800K the rest of the way, isn't going to command anything serious in trade to SF, and whatever he is or isn't anymore as a 15+ touch RB, he can certainly catch a football and by now knows how to pick up a blitz.

I know he's done a lot of nothing this season, but I don't know how much of that is him not having any gas left, how not-injured he is, or how much of it is just a no-win situation. He's not old-old. He's 30, an hasn't been hit much since the 2013 season (116 touches last year, 12 touches this year). Hard to say since he's barely touched the ball in his 4 active games and it's not like I'm glued to all things 49ers this year anyway.

Two questions Sperm.

(1) Do you see the lack of a consistent running game as a concern or a serious concern for this team? (looks like famine or feast to me so far)

(2) Do you think we are one significant offensive upgrade away from the potential to do serious damage this year? (yes, yes, even with some of our other known weaknesses)

If yes/yes then somehow some way we need to look at Forte.

I will say that Tre Mason would be a very interesting prospect to target. Now that Gurley is back, has established himself & is ripping it up, Mason will be an after thought. Gurley is just too good & young to not ride him hard.

Tre Mason is a BETTER Bilal Powell. Because Powell is a known commodity you could trade a 5th & Powell to the Rams for Mason. It's a great deal for Rams as they get a guy that can contribute, pass block ect. , plus a draft pick for a RB, which is unusual nowadays. Jets get a pass catching shifty guy to compliment Ivory & the plod horse Stacy. Ok kill me! Lol.

so when the jets do not make any of the trades you suggested what then? Or will you be too busy posing in the mirror with a Fitzpatrick jersey on and pretending you're the jets QB?

I don't expect them to make any of the trades. We're having a hypothetical conversation, playing armchair GM so-to-speak. Like when we do our mock drafts, or anything else, where we speculate as fans about what might make the team better. Why are you having such a hard time with this? 

Why are you having such a hard time with everything? 

Also, I am surrounded by sexy women that tell me how good I look, why would I need a mirror?

It seems to me that if the NFL wanted to encourage in season trades, it should move the deadline out at least 2-3 weeks.  At this point, there are very few teams that are really 'out' of the running for a playoff spot, but come the end of November, the reality for many teams will become more evident.

I am fine with the "what if?"  I am not too good with the "why don't we?"  "we have to"  The team is doing pretty well.  They are actually stacked at RB, but are dealing with 3 guys being injured at the same time.  TE is pretty barren right now, but Gailey does not seem to want one. If he did they probably would have made a move during the off-season.  They have Amaro and he seemed to be a complete afterthought.  You guys all hate on Zac Stacy - he is 24 years old.  I am not in love with the kid, but he is pretty good for a #3 or #4 RB. 

lol, seems to me most of your hang ups are with semantics.

I know the team is doing well. However, earlier in the week I made the point about the offense needed more dimension beyond the top 2 pass catchers. I would hope that what Gailey thought we needed/had in the off-season has evolved as he's seen more reps from the offense. I hope beyond hope that his evaluation in August isn't going to trump his evaluation in November.

I agree, Stacy is pretty good for a #3 or #4 RB, which is why we're talking about adding a better #2. 

I think this team is still lacking role-players, and that all I was pointing out. I'm not sure why that is so jarring for some people.

lol, seems to me most of your hang ups are with semantics.

I know the team is doing well. However, earlier in the week I made the point about the offense needed more dimension beyond the top 2 pass catchers. I would hope that what Gailey thought we needed/had in the off-season has evolved as he's seen more reps from the offense. I hope beyond hope that his evaluation in August isn't going to trump his evaluation in November.

I agree, Stacy is pretty good for a #3 or #4 RB, which is why we're talking about adding a better #2. 

I think this team is still lacking role-players, and that all I was pointing out. I'm not sure why that is so jarring for some people.

Semantics?  lol is right.  We can discuss moves that might help, but making no move will probably turn out to be the smart move.   Contrary to your usual hypothesis, my post was not directed to you.  Probably more toward Joe Willie and Ray Rice, but there are plenty of others.

Stacy is the #3 or #4 RB.  Ridley is coming back.  Despite Dr. Detroit's astute analysis, he has pretty good credentials for a #2 back.  Powell is probably the #2 right now, but he is hurt.  I think we are on the same page that we should be looking for a scat back type.  I'm not sure why they didn't seem to look for one.  Maybe it is like WR where they appear to like big slots. I have been one of the guys expecting to draft a Dri Archer or De'Anthony Thomas.

Role players are nice and needed.  Most of the time when we have a role player he is derided as a JAG and useless.  See Quincy Enunwa who did a pretty good job blocking IMO.  The thread should carry on and I agree that a guy like Bush would be nice.  Just voicing my complaint so that later when we don't end up with Ertz you know that I don't want to read that we are idiots for not getting him.  Tired of reading about non-deals two years later for guys that probably were not even available.

Semantics?  lol is right.  We can discuss moves that might help, but making no move will probably turn out to be the smart move.   Contrary to your usual hypothesis, my post was not directed to you.  Probably more toward Joe Willie and Ray Rice, but there are plenty of others.

Stacy is the #3 or #4 RB.  Ridley is coming back.  Despite Dr. Detroit's astute analysis, he has pretty good credentials for a #2 back.  Powell is probably the #2 right now, but he is hurt.  I think we are on the same page that we should be looking for a scat back type.  I'm not sure why they didn't seem to look for one.  Maybe it is like WR where they appear to like big slots. I have been one of the guys expecting to draft a Dri Archer or De'Anthony Thomas.

Role players are nice and needed.  Most of the time when we have a role player he is derided as a JAG and useless.  See Quincy Enunwa who did a pretty good job blocking IMO.  The thread should carry on and I agree that a guy like Bush would be nice.  Just voicing my complaint so that later when we don't end up with Ertz you know that I don't want to read that we are idiots for not getting him.  Tired of reading about non-deals two years later for guys that probably were not even available.

I know who you were mocking with your initial post. I agree with your sentiment in the last paragraph... that's why my approach to the thread was to talk about reasonable targets within the context of knowing not to overpay. As you can see, the thread just became more of the same bad posting that has become the new norm here.

Two questions Sperm.

(1) Do you see the lack of a consistent running game as a concern or a serious concern for this team? (looks like famine or feast to me so far)

(2) Do you think we are one significant offensive upgrade away from the potential to do serious damage this year? (yes, yes, even with some of our other known weaknesses)

If yes/yes then somehow some way we need to look at Forte.

I don't think it's automatic that Forte (or keeping Chris Johnson like some are now wishing we did in hindsight) means that we have a consistent running game. Some games holes are there, some games they're not. Some games a back is on his A-game some games he is not. If you want to ask if, all other things being equal, does it improve our roster to pick up Forte and have him take Ridley's place, then you are ultimately asking a rhetorical question since all things are not equal.

Further, the #2 "feature back" on the team is Ridley, or a Ridley/Powell tandem anyway. Last week neither was healthy enough to make the gameday roster so, with what appeared to be an Ivory injury on the first play, it was a perfect storm of crappy luck. It is an outlier, and one that could just as easily occur if Forte was here (nothing preventing Forte from sustaining an injury like Powell did). These are things that are unknown, not absolutes known to be better with someone else.

My point is there are no automatic "only-upside" scenarios with picking him up.  If Forte gets hurt does he help us? No. If Forte has an only ok game (or a bad one) it is wishful thinking that it will coincide with an otherwise great game from Ivory; that we won't lose a game we'd have otherwise won if Ivory wasn't splitting those carries in the first place.  Sure, it can go the other way, but you're only looking at it from the upside-only side.

To your 2nd question, that depends on whether or not Ivory is out. If Ivory is out, then a significant upgrade to his replacement would leave that potential intact. If Ivory is in there it is not a given that splitting carries with Forte automatically makes the offense better in any given game.

I like Forte a lot. I don't necessarily object to bringing him in (i.e. I would see what Chicago wants before saying yes or no). But I wouldn't give up higher future draft pick(s), and extend/guarantee someone we wanted to cut (or give a pay cut to) for a chance at half a season of Forte. Off the top of my head, I'd rather trade a conditional 7th rounder for Reggie Bush than a 2nd rounder + more for Matt Forte AND the necessary roster extensions/guarantees to make him fit (extensions/guarantees the team did not make to date for good reasons).

Free agent RB Ray Rice is still hopeful of playing in the NFL again.

"Fitness is my life," Rice said. "I'm doing what I've got to do to get another shot." Rice has not been seriously linked with any team since the Browns declined to deny interest in August. His playing days are likely finished.

I don't expect them to make any of the trades. We're having a hypothetical conversation, playing armchair GM so-to-speak. Like when we do our mock drafts, or anything else, where we speculate as fans about what might make the team better. Why are you having such a hard time with this? 

Why are you having such a hard time with everything? 

Also, I am surrounded by sexy women that tell me how good I look, why would I need a mirror?

Personally I find it silly to talk about it because it's never going to happen.  Like the Drew Brees nonsense a couple months ago.

If you're going to have a good game of make believe why not go for Aaron Rodgers and Julio Jones?  

No team is trading a high pick(s) for a 30 yr old RB, mid way through the season, who is due for a new contract, and has a history of feeling underpaid.  

Forte and Ivory are 2 bellcow RB studs.  You don't just bring in a #1 stud RB and tell your #1 stud RB that half his reps are evaporating.  There is no team that has 2 top 15 RBs. 

All I'm saying is if you're going to click your heels and make wishes at least do it for the best. 

Rodgers to Marshall, Julio Jones, and Hopkins with Gurley and Lev Bell.  That's who I think we should trade for.

Pac, why are you being such a miserable c*nt lately?  You say we should only be looking at realistic trades, then when someone brings up a relatively capable pass-catching back like Reggie Bush who is currently not being utilized by San Fran and could be had cheap, you sh*t all over it. 

Joseph Randle Dallas Cowboys RB might be available 

Garrett then decided to make the change to McFadden as the Cowboys' lead back Wednesday, which pushed Randle to leave the team's facilities. According to David Helman of the Cowboys' official site, Randle remains away from the team Thursday due to a "personal issue," meaning this strange tale has yet to play itself out.

Garrett then decided to make the change to McFadden as the Cowboys' lead back Wednesday, which pushed Randle to leave the team's facilities. According to David Helman of the Cowboys' official site, Randle remains away from the team Thursday due to a "personal issue," meaning this strange tale has yet to play itself out.

**** me. 

I drafted DMC in three of my leagues at the start of the year thinking at some point he'd overtake Randle. Then over the past 2-3 weeks, I've dropped him for bye week fillers, and other ppl picked him up thinking the same way I did. And now he's the unquestioned starter with Randle probably being done in Dallas. 

**** **** **** **** me. 

**** me. 

I drafted DMC in three of my leagues at the start of the year thinking at some point he'd overtake Randle. Then over the past 2-3 weeks, I've dropped him for bye week fillers, and other ppl picked him up thinking the same way I did. And now he's the unquestioned starter with Randle probably being done in Dallas. 

**** **** **** **** me. 

Same here LOL I had DMC cut him then actually traded for Randle 

Personally I find it silly to talk about it because it's never going to happen.  Like the Drew Brees nonsense a couple months ago.

If you're going to have a good game of make believe why not go for Aaron Rodgers and Julio Jones?  

No team is trading a high pick(s) for a 30 yr old RB, mid way through the season, who is due for a new contract, and has a history of feeling underpaid.  

Forte and Ivory are 2 bellcow RB studs.  You don't just bring in a #1 stud RB and tell your #1 stud RB that half his reps are evaporating.  There is no team that has 2 top 15 RBs. 

All I'm saying is if you're going to click your heels and make wishes at least do it for the best. 

Rodgers to Marshall, Julio Jones, and Hopkins with Gurley and Lev Bell.  That's who I think we should trade for.

When has JN been above "silly" things to talk about?

When have you ever been above "silly" things to talk about?

Right.

I wouldn't give up higher future draft pick(s), and extend/guarantee someone we wanted to cut (or give a pay cut to) for a chance at half a season

Good post Sperm. Maybe it's my fault for not stating things like this... I usually assume qualifiers like this are a given, but based on the childish reactions to the thread maybe it's not. Maybe it needs to be S-P-E-L-L-E-D out for everyone.

Another clipping, with more direct quotes from Gailey. The bold is alarming, because it's a reflection of the entire brain trust's outlook:

Jets OC Chan Gailey says second-round WR Devin Smith has "struggled" to pick up the offense.

"It's been a longer process than anyone thought it would be," Gailey said of his rookie wideout. "He's got a lot to learn." He won't do any learning in Week 8, as he'll sit with an ankle injury. Smith is an end-of-bench type in Dynasty leagues.

So, you're saying that all I need for Christine Michal to finally blow up is for DMC to get hurt... YES.

lol, the NFL is a 2 RB league.

Nobody is talking about replacing Ivory. The conversation is about having higher-caliber talent to pair with him.

It's a hypothetical conversation... one that doesn't involve conclusions drawn from make-believe things that didn't happen to support benching the starting QB on a 4-2 team.

It is Stacy, a quality RB with an admitted fumbling issue.  But he can run it 15 times a game

"**** me. 

**** **** **** **** me. "

I drafted randle ran with him and then just this week dumped him and picked up DMC, mindbogglingly no one took him off the waiver wire before me, I think i was 7th or 9th in line.

Archived