Trade Deadline (Nov 3)

bealeb319

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pac, why are you being such a miserable c*nt lately?  You say we should only be looking at realistic trades, then when someone brings up a relatively capable pass-catching back like Reggie Bush who is currently not being utilized by San Fran and could be had cheap, you sh*t all over it. 

If you can't tell I was smiling as I wrote that I don't know what to tell you..  I was quoting the Ape for christs sake.. helllo??

Pac, why are you being such a miserable c*nt lately?  You say we should only be looking at realistic trades, then when someone brings up a relatively capable pass-catching back like Reggie Bush who is currently not being utilized by San Fran and could be had cheap, you sh*t all over it. 

and as far as the Bush comment I made what I thought was a good point.. It was done sarcastically but not mean-spirited.  That's kinda my thing.

I find it more entertaining to make a cute little analogy then say "well Reggie Bush is hurt more often then Ivory so I'm not sure that's a wise move".  There's plenty of people on the site that will answer that way if that's what you're looking for.

I don't think it's automatic that Forte (or keeping Chris Johnson like some are now wishing we did in hindsight) means that we have a consistent running game. Some games holes are there, some games they're not. Some games a back is on his A-game some games he is not. If you want to ask if, all other things being equal, does it improve our roster to pick up Forte and have him take Ridley's place, then you are ultimately asking a rhetorical question since all things are not equal.

Further, the #2 "feature back" on the team is Ridley, or a Ridley/Powell tandem anyway. Last week neither was healthy enough to make the gameday roster so, with what appeared to be an Ivory injury on the first play, it was a perfect storm of crappy luck. It is an outlier, and one that could just as easily occur if Forte was here (nothing preventing Forte from sustaining an injury like Powell did). These are things that are unknown, not absolutes known to be better with someone else.

My point is there are no automatic "only-upside" scenarios with picking him up.  If Forte gets hurt does he help us? No. If Forte has an only ok game (or a bad one) it is wishful thinking that it will coincide with an otherwise great game from Ivory; that we won't lose a game we'd have otherwise won if Ivory wasn't splitting those carries in the first place.  Sure, it can go the other way, but you're only looking at it from the upside-only side.

To your 2nd question, that depends on whether or not Ivory is out. If Ivory is out, then a significant upgrade to his replacement would leave that potential intact. If Ivory is in there it is not a given that splitting carries with Forte automatically makes the offense better in any given game.

I like Forte a lot. I don't necessarily object to bringing him in (i.e. I would see what Chicago wants before saying yes or no). But I wouldn't give up higher future draft pick(s), and extend/guarantee someone we wanted to cut (or give a pay cut to) for a chance at half a season of Forte. Off the top of my head, I'd rather trade a conditional 7th rounder for Reggie Bush than a 2nd rounder + more for Matt Forte AND the necessary roster extensions/guarantees to make him fit (extensions/guarantees the team did not make to date for good reasons).

Ivory is all about burst and drive with some quick changes of direction to set that up.  It seems to me that if he is even a little "off" with a pull then his effectiveness drops off a cliff.  More so than with other backs.  The problem is and has been that he is a little bit off fairly often during his time with the Jets.

I don't know what happened to Bilal Powell but he has shown nothing whatsoever this year and Stacey just looks slow and lumbering.

Until we see Ridley that leaves us in a really bad place IMO.

It is Stacy, a quality RB with an admitted fumbling issue.  But he can run it 15 times a game

It's hilarious, Fitz plays better for us than he has in his career and he's the lynchpin to everything wrong. Stacy plays like he's running in quicksand, can't break tackles and he's fine, no problem at all.

It's hilarious, Fitz plays better for us than he has in his career and he's the lynchpin to everything wrong. Stacy plays like he's running in quicksand, can't break tackles and he's fine, no problem at all.

Yes.  I actually meant to say Ridley. Old age creeping in.  I think Stacy is slow and blah.

If you can't tell I was smiling as I wrote that I don't know what to tell you..  I was quoting the Ape for christs sake.. helllo??

and as far as the Bush comment I made what I thought was a good point.. It was done sarcastically but not mean-spirited.  That's kinda my thing.

I find it more entertaining to make a cute little analogy then say "well Reggie Bush is hurt more often then Ivory so I'm not sure that's a wise move".  There's plenty of people on the site that will answer that way if that's what you're looking for.

So you were totes kidding but also made a good point.  lol.

Ivory is all about burst and drive with some quick changes of direction to set that up.  It seems to me that if he is even a little "off" with a pull then his effectiveness drops off a cliff.  More so than with other backs.  The problem is and has been that he is a little bit off fairly often during his time with the Jets.

I don't know what happened to Bilal Powell but he has shown nothing whatsoever this year and Stacey just looks slow and lumbering.

Powell got hurt early against the Dolphins.  He has been dealing with a groin injury since.   He was pretty limited against Washington and not even active this week.  He ran real well against Cleveland.  His rushing stats were fairly weak against Indy and Philly, but he was getting plenty of catches.

My post was more that it's not a given that adding him isn't a slam-dunk thing we must do. Nobody contends he isn't better than Powell, Ridley, or Stacy.

Agree on Powell. He was never really fast, per se, but neither is Ivory and one looks like he's getting shot out of a cannon (yes, when healthy) and the other looks like he needs a walking start just to get a running start. But prior to this year he also would have a very quick first step or 2 and could make a first guy miss or break through a weak arm tackle (not a given for all RBs, particularly backups, as we've seen). 

I really knew little about Stacy before he got here other than his one good (good, but hardly great) season in 2013. I think we've all seen why the Rams were so eager to move on from him, drafting Tre Mason in the top half of round 3 in 2014 and then the next draft using the 10th overall pick on Gurley. If they had any real hopes for Stacy as a long-term starter they likely do neither of these things, starting immediately after Stacy's comparatively-good rookie season. Lost his starting job to a 21 year-old, 3rd-round rookie, and lost it barely a month into the very next season. Then again, they gave up on Richardson after 1 season before Stacy, and drafted Isaiah Pead with a top 50 pick the season before that. I know we've had some facepalms of our own in recent years, but what a freaking hot mess.

I would have felt better about it if Ridley was healthy last week, but hopefully he'll be good once he's cleared to actually get into a game. He was a good RB for NE, even if inconsistent. I think his fumbling was overblown because BB couldn't figure how anyone could cough up the deflated NE footballs. Fumbling 4x in 300 touches in 2012, then 4x in 200 touches in 2013: it isn't amazing, but I've seen worse. As I recall, the reason we even know about the "problem" was because 2 happened in the same game and Belichick benched him the following week. My memory's hazy (feel free to correct me; I'm not looking it up), but I thought it went down something like that.

Anyway, it's not like every RB doesn't have meh games, Forte included. And again, it's not as simple as saying why wouldn't you want to swap one of our 3 backups for Forte. There are other costs involved beyond the roster spot.

Archived