Does Bowles understand how football games work?

InstantClassic

I think he does. And outside of a few mistakes he's made he's done an outstanding job. I agree with the punt because if we went for it and failed the Raiders were already in scoring range and a FG literally puts the game away. Punting allows the defense to stop the Raiders and keep them from scoring, which they did, and we got the ball back. Marshall dropped a TD pass and with no time outs and a chance to kick an onside (because of the dropped TD) we lost the game. 

If you really think about the punt it was a good idea, especially if we went for it and didnt convert. 

It was actually. Which is why he shouldn't be reprimanded for it. The sluggishness of the defense in the first half is questionable

If Fitz is out for the year the season is over anyways. I do get the sense that this staff isnt overly innovative, which sucks. Most staffs arent, but with the Pats in the division you have to be,

Yeah, it would be nice to have someone like Payton here, but I'll happily settle for traditional, as long as it makes sense. The playcalls at the end of 2Q last week, the punts in the 2nd half today--just nonsensical. Coaches, like players, don't arrive in the league as finished products, and managing on the fly is one of the hardest parts of the job, so hopefully Bowles learns from all of this. But man, it has been frustrating as hell to watch.

Not to mention they looked totally flat. I give the offense a pass because of the Fitzpatrick injury, but the defense didn't even bother getting off the bus. Playing the Pats tough in their building then getting blown out by a mediocre opponent the next week is like page 1 in the SOJ playbook. Can't speak for anyone else, and I know this is a crazy overreaction, but I have to admit I'm getting a really anxious here-we-go-again kind of feeling.

Of course you have that feeling, you're a Jets fan.  They do seem to come out flat a lot and that's an issue but then they've had a couple of quick starts to follow.  I think they matched up pretty bad today and had some key injuries that forced them him use guys in different ways and it all back fired, badly. Mangold out and then losing Fitz killed the offense.  And if Fitz was the back up and able to play, why wasnt he playing?

The biggest questions/concerns I have that seem to me be reoccurring:

Urgency when down.  There isnt any.

Zach Stacy in the slot, reminiscent of TRich in the Shotty days,

The use of offensive personnel (Stacy, Kerley, TE's).

Calling run plays just to call run plays.

Going long on 3rd and short, constantly.

Poor tackling.

Cromartie. 

Zero pass rush.

Going conservative with play calling on both sides.

It was actually. Which is why he shouldn't be reprimanded for it. The sluggishness of the defense in the first half is questionable

Yup. It was an ugly game and an unusual (though smart) call. It'll take a minute for Jet fans to get over the loss and realize that Bowles made a pretty good decision under immediate pressure and eventual criticism from people who never had to be on the field making unusual decisions on the fly. 

Of course you have that feeling, you're a Jets fan.  They do seem to come out flat a lot and that's an issue but then they've had a couple of quick starts to follow.  I think they matched up pretty bad today and had some key injuries that forced them him use guys in different ways and it all back fired, badly. Mangold out and then losing Fitz killed the offense.  And if Fitz was the back up and able to play, why wasnt he playing?

The biggest questions/concerns I have that seem to me be reoccurring:

Urgency when down.  There isnt any.

Zach Stacy in the slot, reminiscent of TRich in the Shotty days,

The use of offensive personnel (Stacy, Kerley, TE's).

Calling run plays just to call run plays.

Going long on 3rd and short, constantly.

Poor tackling.

Cromartie. 

Zero pass rush.

Going conservative with play calling on both sides.

The bolded bothers me the most, only because it reflects more on Bowles than anyone else. Gailey was never going to be here long-term, so I kind of just shrug at his bullsh*t.

If Fitz is out for the year the season is over anyways. I do get the sense that this staff isnt overly innovative, which sucks. Most staffs arent, but with the Pats in the division you have to be,

Don't understand how in each loss late in the game trailing by 2 scores at least  the Jets' offense wasted tons of clock and didn't seem in any rush to get up the field and score. Doesn't appear they're even conscious of the clock. You're allowed to run a play with huddling, hike it quickly without calling 15-20 seconds of signaling, call 2 plays on a clock stoppage. The idea is to score points to win, not indulge what ever the eff Chan Gailey wants to do. What we've seen one each of those occasions is scared dumb PussyBall. And would like to see a HC that grasp that. So far...

The bolded bothers me the most, only because it reflects more on Bowles than anyone else. Gailey was never going to be here long-term, so I kind of just shrug at his bullsh*t.

It's even down to the little details.  Like running the ball, down 2 scores.  I get it.  I understand trying to pick up a 2nd and short on the ground and maybe you get lucky and bounce one.  However, if that's your philosophy, that play should be run in 12-15seconds flat.  There is no need for a huddle, a slow approach to the LOS, a long cadence and then the snap running off 30+ seconds.  It should be a quick signal, fly to the LOS and snap the ball.  And assuming you come up short, you should have your favorite 3rd and short play already dialed up and read to go.  

It's even down to the little details.  Like running the ball, down 2 scores.  I get it.  I understand trying to pick up a 2nd and short on the ground and maybe you get lucky and bounce one.  However, if that's your philosophy, that play should be run in 12-15seconds flat.  There is no need for a huddle, a slow approach to the LOS, a long cadence and then the snap running off 30+ seconds.  It should be a quick signal, fly to the LOS and snap the ball.  And assuming you come up short, you should have your favorite 3rd and short play already dialed up and read to go.  

Yeah. This happened in the Eagles game, too. Bugged the sh*t out of me. Just no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Bowles honeymoon is ending quickly.  Rex got 2 1/2 years but earned that.  Bowles has been getting progressively worse.

From a handful of clueless SOJFs on a internet message board.  

Yeah, that would worry anyone.  Clueless and an over inflated view of their importance 

So why was he fired?

Okay, so same old normal stuff here.  Rex was fired cause:

1.  Jets have to sell tickets.  Most fans don't understand the game.  Even though the team left like $50mil unspent last season, fans felt Rex (and Geno) should have won with high school caliber WRs and DBs.

2.  Smart media choice.

3.  These all basically come back to the same reason, but ...  tough to fire multiple GMs and keep the same coach.. Media and fans will cry.  When you have to sell tickets, tough to piss 'em off.

I thought the punt with 3 minutes left in the 3rd was silly...not to be outdone by the punt with 3 minutes left in the game. Stop giving the ball back to the other team when your defense has been terrible all day. Drives me crazy. 4th and short, Raiders secondary sucks...go for it. Nothing to lose.

It is way beyond silly.  More like brain dead.

Archived