Start Petty Next Week. Throw him in the deep end and set him on fire.

CobraVerde

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO and based on what little info I have, I truly believe that Petty is better than a hurt or wounded Geno Smith...

That's not hard to accomplish.  lol

The offense is stupid easy too.  It's the most pathetic vanilla garbage scripted game plan that is perfect for a rookie.  He wont be asked to make too many decisions.  Just get the ball out fast on one reads, which he did very well in college.  There is nothing complicated about running this offense. Tons of motion, creating specific matchups where the ball is designed to go to quickly.  

I dont see how this is anything like David Carr.  He was the immediate, no competition, day 1 starter, for an expansion team with literally zero talent in front of him or around him.  That's not the case with Petty.  It's week 8 and the Jets have given up the fewest sacks in the league (and 3 of them are because Geno's a ******* moron).  He's probably not ready, but what choice do the Jets have if both QB's cant play?

And again, this is a short term fix till the other guys get healthy.  It's not like the Jets are going hand him the keys and turn the offense over to him for good.  Who knows, maybe he's more ready than you think.  And if he's not, then you put him down when the other guys get back and in the very least, he's got some film of himself vs. NFL talent to study and use to improve for the future. 

I'd prefer this to some POS off the street who has no familiarity with the team or system.  If Fitz or Geno were projected to miss the season, I'd agree...lets find a vet...but for a few games?  I see literally zero harm in playing Petty.

I just don't see how getting zero first team reps and playing with third stringers all season will have furthered his readiness to lead an NFL offense.  He looked terrible against nobodies in pre-season and I just don't think it's wise to rush him out there.  There's a reason Arians said he will never start a QB until he's ready, regardless of the team's need for one. It just never seems to be a good answer. 

If he's ready, or almost ready, put him in. Bunch of 1-read plays and heavy doses of Ivory. If it's predictable then it's predictable. He shouldn't be so terrible he can't even do limited-playbook spot duty for a week, after being coached here for 6 months (the last 2 standing on the sidelines of regular games). 

What's the worst that can happen?

He completes 5 of 18 and throws 4 interceptions while getting sacked 7x? Fine. If that happens then he sits for the rest of his rookie season. Or bench him at halftime if he's totally melting out there. Some are being a bit overly dramatic and silly with the "ruined" fears. Serious physical injury aside, a QB doesn't get permanently ruined by playing 1 mid-season game, no matter how badly he performs. If he's so horrid, getting pummeled every other dropback, and they still keep him out there for the rest of the season, that could be a different matter (long-term). But Geno doesn't appear to be so hurt that such a scenario would be necessary anyway. 

If Bowles is saying they think it's even a borderline/maybe call then that's good enough. At some point you have to be reasonable; This isn't week 1 of his rookie season on a last-place team, where all the rest of the players on the offense are still trying to fully figure out their responsibilities and correct errors. If he's so unready and behind where he needs to be, that he can't even start 1 game in November (against Jacksonville's pass defense no less), then he probably isn't going to be ready to start next season either. 

Butt fumble part Deux?

I don't even know how things snowballed so fast. 8 days ago, we were 4-1 and up on the Pats in the 4th quarter by 4. 8 days later, we are 4-3, the defense looks like a disaster, the coach is saying that the starting QB for the rest of the year probably isn't on the roster, and the fanbase is calling for Bryce Petty.

http://media.giphy.com/media/usvE1JIvuPXd6/giphy.gif

I just don't see how getting zero first team reps and playing with third stringers all season will have furthered his readiness to lead an NFL offense.  He looked terrible against nobodies in pre-season and I just don't think it's wise to rush him out there.  There's a reason Arians said he will never start a QB until he's ready, regardless of the team's need for one. It just never seems to be a good answer. 

I thought he improved tremendously from his first preseason action to his last.  He had some big boy throws with some great reads.  It's preseason so whatever but still.

If both Fitz and Geno are injured, what do you think the Jets should do? 

I don't even know how things snowballed so fast. 8 days ago, we were 4-1 and up on the Pats in the 4th quarter by 4. 8 days later, we are 4-3, the defense looks like a disaster, the coach is saying that the starting QB for the rest of the year probably isn't on the roster, and the fanbase is calling for Bryce Petty.

http://media.giphy.com/media/usvE1JIvuPXd6/giphy.gif

Being a Jet fan is like being the best tap dancer on a frozen lake in February.  Everybody claps and cheers but eventually your going to fucking drown.

I thought he improved tremendously from his first preseason action to his last.  He had some big boy throws with some great reads.  It's preseason so whatever but still.

If both Fitz and Geno are injured, what do you think the Jets should do? 

lol pray? In all honesty, probably Matt Flynn. Can handle more of the playbook and has experience doing just this. I just would like Petty to sit and learn for one full year. No idea if it would hurt him, but we've see how in recent history of starting Sanchez and Geno too early didn't help. Could be moot, but this kid reminds me too much of Sanchez on the sidelines goofing around and laughing while he's talking to the recent injured Fitz and his team is getting its sh*t pushed in. One would think karma would afford the jets a franchise QB eventually. 

Being a Jet fan is like being the best tap dancer on a frozen lake in February.  Everybody claps and cheers but eventually your going to ******* drown.

See, the fair question here is how would you even fall through the ice? Wouldn't the tap dancing squad have scouted the ice to make sure it was solid? But the answer to that is: Dunno, you just would. You'd find a way.

Teams seems to be cursed post playing NE

Week 1: Pitt - loses its QB and spirals downward. Just lost Bell.

Week 2: Buffalo  - Need I say more?

Week 3: Jags - Were 1-1 after beating Miami and since NE game are 1 - 4 with the sole win over the aforementioned Bills.

Week 4: Cowboys - Yet to win and actually started Cassel and benched the better QB in Weeden.

Week 5: Colts - Have not won since that game losing to the Saints and Panthers. Prior to facing NE had won 3 in a row.

Week 6: Jets - Lost to the Raiders

Week 7: Miami - Blown out and time will tell.

Tell me I am wrong.

lol pray? In all honesty, probably Matt Flynn. Can handle more of the playbook and has experience doing just this. I just would like Petty to sit and learn for one full year. No idea if it would hurt him, but we've see how in recent history of starting Sanchez and Geno too early didn't help. Could be moot, but this kid reminds me too much of Sanchez on the sidelines goofing around and laughing while he's talking to the recent injured Fitz and his team is getting its sh*t pushed in. One would think karma would afford the jets a franchise QB eventually. 

Sanchez and Geno started from week 1/game 1, and stayed in for the full season no matter how badly each played (Sanchez did sit out 1 game due to injury, but that's it). 

Petty isn't jumping in until week 9 (game 8), and surely was in the film room with his veteran starter, watching and learning. Those other 2 learned from no one and learned behind no one. It was 100% trial by fire for each.

If he has a terrible game it's not going to scar him for the rest of his career. Geno's injury isn't that bad; if Petty looks (and is) totally lost out there Geno (or Flynn or another) will take over before long. 

Butt fumble part Deux?

Still not a tragedy. Didn't you know Sanchez was awesome in his next live action when he went to the Eagles? 

And check my earlier post on the risk. Buttfumble wouldn't happen again. It might be Scrotal Fumble, or something like that, but you never do the same gag twice. Comedy no-no.

Sanchez and Geno started from week 1/game 1, and stayed in for the full season no matter how badly each played (Sanchez did sit out 1 game due to injury, but that's it). 

Petty isn't jumping in until week 9 (game 8), and surely was in the film room with his veteran starter, watching and learning. Those other 2 learned from no one and learned behind no one. It was 100% trial by fire for each.

If he has a terrible game it's not going to scar him for the rest of his career. Geno's injury isn't that bad; if Petty looks (and is) totally lost out there Geno (or Flynn or another) will take over before long. 

I get it, I just would like to try going the route or not playing guys before they are ready. I can't tell you all the reasons it's not good, but I trust guys like Arians and when they say it can hurt them, even though not irreparably, I still would err on the side of caution. all I know is if he were even close to being ready, they would have given him a shot at the beginning of the year. No way does he nature in eight weeks of zero first team reps and any meaningful snaps. I sit him and start Flynn or some other vet. Again, that's just me. 

I get it, I just would like to try going the route or not playing guys before they are ready. I can't tell you all the reasons it's not good, but I trust guys like Arians and when they say it can hurt them, even though not irreparably, I still would err on the side of caution. all I know is if he were even close to being ready, they would have given him a shot at the beginning of the year. No way does he nature in eight weeks of zero first team reps and any meaningful snaps. I sit him and start Flynn or some other vet. Again, that's just me. 

I think he can mature some. I also think months of passive experience in a pro film room with a 10+ year veteran QB - while also working on his own mechanics & such with his QBC, without the burden of week to week strategy - is dramatically different than throwing him in there week 1 of his rookie season, which affords the time for none of this.

How long is necessary? That depends on the individual. For some it could be half a season, for others a full season, and for still others it takes multiple seasons. I wouldn't paint him with any brush without first-hand knowledge of where he's at, and none of us really know what that is. The only clue has been Bowles saying maybe he would start this week. If the answer was a definite "NO" then Flynn would have been in Florham Park before the team plane returned from California.

Archived