Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

World Series is over. So let the hot stove talk begin.

Trade Ellsbury!

good luck with that

Ref is 24.   Bring him up now or do him the favor of  a trade.  I'd rather a rookie hit 240 with average ish defense who has a future than have a 36 year old who has done nothing in years.

Refsnyder should be the starting 2b next season.  

Btw I hope the Cubs get Price.

• Upvote 1

Whose contracts are up after this year?

Tex?   With Beltran, Gardner and A Rod up the year after that?   It's hard to get younger with all those still there.

only thing the Yankees can do is ride out these current contracts then go on a crazy spending spree in two years

the only significant move I can see us doing is the kid Maeda from Japan

We really really really really need Aaron Judge to be good. We need that right handed power in the middle of the lineup badly. Also, Gary Sanchez (also right handed) though he probably doesn't have a position.

supposedly Judge hasn't looked good in the minors which is why he didn't get called up last year

outfuelders are a dime dozen however.  Ref is the more critical prospect because he played 2nd.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are very active on the trade market early this offseason. At the very least, it appears they are gauging interest in all their players. “Sounds like the Yankees are shopping everyone,” said one executive to Rosenthal, “with the exception of (Luis) Severino.” Jon Heyman hears Andrew Miller‘s name is being circulated, though it’s unclear how serious the Yankees are about moving him.

@Tyler Durden , Seems like Cash has something up his sleeve. Still too early to tell but looks like anything can happen. 

yankees must be offering Miller as a throw in for any team willing to take Arod or Tex's contract.  Ellsbury's contract is a whale especially with way better outfielders available in free agency.

i would just leave the team as is and go on a wild spending spree in two years.

Hooray the Sux now have a closer now all they need is like 4-5 starting pitchers.  

The Mutts are going to come to Bostons rescue.  They better get both Bogaerts and Betts for Harvey otherwise that's rape.

Cubs are going after Price.  I heard Giants are in the mix for Greinke.

Edited by drdetroit

OK, this topic is getting wayyyy off course.

A-Rod is not liked because he has such an odd personality, and because there is so much resentment towards the amount of money he has made.  The personality is his fault.  The money, hey, Tom Hicks offered it to him, it's not his fault he signed the contract.

I actually know a couple mlb players and Arod is universally disliked.  A lot is just haterade because of the contract - a lot of these players are also fans like us also succeptible to the manufactured outrage by the fans especially the Red Sox fans at ESPN.

Remember, the Astros offered Andrew Miller more money last offseason but joined the Yankees for less dollars. Sounds like he's their guy, interested to see what they're willing to give up to get him. I'm up to trading both him and Gardner if it helps get younger and gives us more flexibility. 

you only trade miller if you can get rid of ellsbury or CC's contract (not happening)

Otherwise keep him.  

Disagree, if you can get a Kimbrel package you do it. 

rather just stick with miller and betances

and keep our prospects for once

Edited by drdetroit

7 years for a pitcher and 200 million-with no post season victories

it was a no brainer for the Sux.  They get a legit ace and don't have to give up Betts or Bogaerts like they would have for Harvey

Hey, who better to learn from those mistakes.

Thing is Boston was on the hook for some bad contracts, and the Dodgers kind of helped them out.  Now they have signed the Panda, Ramirez and Price to huge deals. 

Price is excellent.  No argument.  But 30+ million a year for 7 years for a starter is nuts. 

that's what an ace costs now in free agency.  They're talking about Greinke getting an even bigger deal.

Tanaka for $155mil looks like a bargain now.

How many of those mega contracts actually work out?  At least CC was big in helping get a ring.  But almost all of those huge deals for guys 28 and older are bad.

and tanaka is 27 without the mileage a Price or Greinke have with $60 million less owed

but ya, 

Edited by drdetroit
  • Upvote 1

Exactly.

The Sox needed an ace.  If you do not want to spend that money, then you end up with Rick Porcello.  Who had his moments, but he is what he is....a few notches above JAG.

the move screws the mets which I like because they won't get a real package in exchange for Harvey when they have to trade him in about a year

Tanaka pitched a ton in Japan (http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=tanaka003mas) the mileage on his arm is a great concern.

And he's yet to prove he's as good as Price or Greinke. Health matters.

Give me a break Tanaka's time in Japan is nothing compared to Price pitching 6 years and Greinke over 10 years in the MLB. 

If he's not as good as Price or Greinke he's basically almost there.  Why the hate?

Edited by drdetroit

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company