Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

You don't trade two top 50 prospects for a closer. The fact they are blocked doesn't diminish their actual value and shouldn't play into what you receive for them. For comparison if the Yankees traded Aaron Judge and Jorge Mateo for Kimbrel I would be furious.

This deal makes me wonder what the Yankees could get for Andrew Miller, but I doubt anyone else would give us a similar package.

The top two (Magot and Guerra) were rated anywhere from JAG to first division all stars.

Could they be Bagwells?  Maybe, but chances are they are going to be a little more than JAGs.

Come on man, JAGS? Put down the koolaid. They are at the very least consensus top 100 prospects. And many talent valuations had top Margot and Guerra top 50 and higher.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/padres-get-a-haul-for-craig-kimbrel/

JAGs might be a bit harsh, but they are prospects.

They are projecting as everyday regulars.  Not All-Time greats.  Maybe they develop into a Jeff Bagwell HofFer types, but until they do...they are closer to JAGs than great.

You can say that for every prospect ever. I guess you would of been okay trading Boagarts and Betts a few years ago before they performed in the big leagues, because they were just prospects. No one is ever projected as all-time greats, projecting a prospect as everyday player makes them pretty damn valuable. If these two players are everyday players that means you traded a starting CFer and SS  for a closer (who's getting paid a lot of money)

A closer that lead the NL in saves for four straight seasons until last year.

The have a proven player for two players that are projected to be every day players for whatever that is worth and addressed a clear weakness.    

Will Middlebrooks was projected as an every day player and that did not exactly pan out.

Boston got a quality player, no 2 ways.  They gave up some assets to get him.  You never know with prospects, but it was a steep price for a closer.

Again, I think we are talking semantics. 

The Sox needed a closer.  Koji is old and has broken down or been injured the last two seasons. 

While Guerra and Margot might eventually be valuable, they are not right now and had little chance to play.

I find it surprising that people are downplaying the roles of relief pitchers when the Royals have shown what a strong core of relief pitchers can do for a team.

• Upvote 1

"Saves" meaningless stat. He's a great closer, but like with all closers he's a 1 inning guy who's  thrown 70 innings in a season once, last time 5 years ago.   Everyday players hold more value. I sure as heck wouldn't of traded Didi Gregorius and Brett Gardner for Craig Kimbell. And those two aren't exactly the best starters in baseball at their respected positions.

That is a totally different trade.

Didi is entering his prime.  I would not trade Didi straight up for Kimbrel either.  As far as Gardner, you need to throw something in with him.  He is old and the epitome of a JAG.

And avoiding that train wreck that is A-Rod.

Ortiz completely denied it... and still does. Baseball media continues to give him a pass.

Really? 

Boston media either loves him or hates him.  Buster Olney said while he would vote for him, but he has no chance of getting in to the Hall due to others blocking him.  Dan Shaughnessy said he would not vote for him.

How exactly is he getting a pass?

Well... there was also the cork.

And didn't he go in front of congress and deny taking tests?

And how is this Ortiz's fault?

I think A-Rod gets a bit of a raw deal because IMO so many of them are juicing it is silly to single a few guys out and make them the poster boys.  Football is worse.  At least baseball can theoretically be played clean.

Is A-Rod getting a raw deal for the PEDs?  Or because he is a bit of an ass?   I think it is more the latter.

That is exactly it.  He didn't do anything so different, but he is treated differently because nobody likes him.

That is it in a nutshell. 

While it might be unfair, his issues, for the most part, are self inflicted. 

Boston the Jekyl an Hyde team in baseball- one year they spend like crazy then they do not spend and them they spend like crazy again

The home grown way was not exactly working.  :)

Plus, after three last place finishes in four years, they needed to spend.  Can't charge high price tickets, rake in money hand over fist through your cable channel and run out Porcello as your ace.

it was a no brainer for the Sux.  They get a legit ace and don't have to give up Betts or Bogaerts like they would have for Harvey

Exactly.

The Sox needed an ace.  If you do not want to spend that money, then you end up with Rick Porcello.  Who had his moments, but he is what he is....a few notches above JAG.

According to some around here....only if it's the Yankees who sign him.

Or Dodgers.

While I doubt he gets 500 (unless the contract is real long), I could see him getting 400.  Especially, if they lock him up early.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company