Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

I'm excited to see how the Red Sox go out and bring in guys (and get rid of Hanley) to supplement all of the young talent they have. Also need to rebuild the bullpen, but exciting times in Boston this offseason with Dombroski.

Lots of Twitter chatter about the Yankees moving Gardner. I suspect that Yankees fans would hate that.

Mariners, Royals, Cubs have interest in Jackie Bradley Jr.

@CrazyCarl40 If I'm Boston I'm selling high on him and would try to move him. 

For sure. Betts and Bogaerts are untouchable. Bradley is a solid player but he is expendable.

Not knowing much about the prospects they gave, thats awesome for them. Top 3 closer in the game. Sox bullpen struggled last year, he should undoubtedly improve that. 

It was a solid package but one was a CF who is blocked by Betts and one was a SS blocked by Bogaerts. I now expect them to drop serious coin on a FA pitcher. 

Kimbrel is 28 has 3 years left on his deal and slides into the 9th inning easy. Really helps a battered pen. 

You don't trade two top 50 prospects for a closer. The fact they are blocked doesn't diminish their actual value and shouldn't play into what you receive for them. For comparison if the Yankees traded Aaron Judge and Jorge Mateo for Kimbrel I would be furious.

This deal makes me wonder what the Yankees could get for Andrew Miller, but I doubt anyone else would give us a similar package.

The Red Sox have one of the best minor league systems in baseball. Those guys are a small drop in a big lake. Kimbrel is worth it. 

Hooray the Sux now have a closer now all they need is like 4-5 starting pitchers.  

Probably just the one. It'll be a big one, but they need a #1 and then the rest will fall into place. Buchholz, Rodriguez, Porcello, Miley is a pretty solid 2-5. 

my guess is Cueto

I wouldn't hate it. Depends on the numbers. I'd rather Price. But then who wouldn't?

The Mutts are going to come to Bostons rescue.  They better get both Bogaerts and Betts for Harvey otherwise that's rape.

Cubs are going after Price.  I heard Giants are in the mix for Greinke.

Betts and Bogaerts are going nowhere. And your use of the R word is inappropriate. 

TODAY: Ortiz announced via Twitter that he’ll call it quits after the coming year. “Life is based on different chapters,” said Ortiz, “and I think I am ready to experience the next one in my life.”

Can't say I'm sad to see him go

I am. One of the most important sports figures in Boston history. They don't break the curse without him. 

or Manny and Ortiz's drug dealer.

ARod is a pariah, while Ortiz gets a pass because he's Dominican Shrek. Media is shameful.

The way ARod and Ortiz handled their situations was completely different. Also, ARod got caught after the rules were implemented. Ortiz' name, in actuality, should have never been released. Also, you have no idea what he took. There's a lot more to it than "shameful" media. 

Ortiz completely denied it... and still does. Baseball media continues to give him a pass.

I'm not going to have the same old argument again. Media did not give him a pass. 

Sammy Sosa failed the exact same test as Ortiz, Sosa has been black balled from the game and no one will ever consider him for the Hall of Fame despite hitting over 600 home runs.

He also sat there and lied to congress. So. Yeah. Good example. 

and Ortiz has been lying to everyone for a decade.

No. He hasn't. This isn't the right thread for this. Let's not derail it with your unneeded witch hunt. 

I was hoping maybe the Tigers get involved but they just got K-Rod. If we could get some major prospects id deal him. 

I was only saying that they wouldn't get a Kimbrel like package for Miller because of the age and contract differences.

The Dodgers are expected to hire Dave Roberts as the team’s next manager on Monday, sources tell Dylan Hernandez, Bill Plaschke and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. Ew

Good for him. 

The Yanks didn't want Cano's contract then, they won't want it now. 

I'll never understand why the Yankees signed Ellsbury who is just a slightly better Gardner when they could have just used that money for Cano. Made them worse, which always makes me smile.

I get saying no to Cano, I don't get the Ellsbury deal. I don't think anyone did lol sometimes the money best spent is the money not spent at all. Cano is declining and is signed through his age 41 season. 

Not much difference than Ellsbury through 38 and he's already declining. Cashman is crazy sometimes.

Sawx sign Chris young to multi year deal, idk about that. Personally wouldn't go beyond a one year deal. 

I'll wait to judge until I see the details. Should be a solid 4th outfielder and abuse that wall in left. 

Yeah I am curious to see how much they spent, I just feel like the one thing the sox are set on is righty hitting outfielders. Do you think a platoon with JBJ is possible? Or maybe a JBJ trade looming? 

I think it's JBJ insurance. Young isn't an every day starter. I don't think a trade is looming. As for the roster spot, I'm sure they'll figure it out. 

Like the move for the Red Sox, thought Chris Young would of turned his Yankee gig into a starting gig, surprised he went to the Sox where he'll probably have a similar role he had here. Red Sox have already stated Hanley Ramirez is their starting 1B, so Red Sox fans, correct me if I'm wrong.. Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr, Rusney Castillo are the starting outfielders? with Young getting most of his at bats vs LHP in place of Bradley. Unless the Sox have an OF prospect knocking on the door, I don't see why this would mean a trade is coming..

It comes down to what David Price does. If Price signs, the Sox hold onto their youth and move on. If he doesn't they trade JBJ for a young pitcher (Mets?) and take the money they saved on Price and throw it at Alex Gordon or someone like that. David Price is going to set the market for a lot of FAs. 

Yeah I am curious to see how much they spent, I just feel like the one thing the sox are set on is righty hitting outfielders. Do you think a platoon with JBJ is possible? Or maybe a JBJ trade looming? 

2 years 13 million. That's chump change.

Price is exactly what the Sox needed. Should have just resigned Lester. Comparing Price to CC is apples and 300 pound apples. 

CC had a rubber arm and threw a lot of innings for a long time.  Price has thrown a lot of innings in MLB, and will be 30 next season (August).  No way he stays good for that contract.  2-3 years, sure, but those last 3 at 93 million or so will be awful.

There's an opt out after 3 years so..

I doubt Price will ever use that opt out, 30 million a year is something he won't get again in 3 years. 

You don't know how the market is going to be then. No one thought A Rod would opt out. And then the Yankees paid him anyway. 

Lets be honest, any talk of money in an uncapped league is fruitless. Everyone has a chance to spend that money. We'll see how it works out. Bottom line is that the Red Sox are now a favorite in the AL. 

you have every right to be excited and happy Carl, not trying to ruin your parade. We'll see how it turns out. Personally don't think he'll opt out, that could end up working in your favor anyway. 

Have to remember Ortiz off the books next year. Buchholz too. That's 29 million right there. Most of their core is on relatively cheap contracts. 

Price has AL East experience, a great track record in Fenway, and is one of the best in the game. Money aside its a great deal. Price, Buchholz, Porcello, Rodriguez, and Miley/Owens/Kelly is a solid five. Bullpen is better with Kimbrel and they're going to hit just fine. 

I could see them spinning off Miley and putting Kelly in the pen. His arm could be well suited there. 

Career ERA for David Price in AL East parks: Fenway 1.95, the Trop 2.89, Camden Yards 3.24, Yankee Stadium 3.27, Rogers Centre 3.34

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company