Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

How do the Sox dump Hanley?  How do the Yanks dump Ellsbury?  (Unless they pay 75% of his contract)

My guess is it's wishful thinking. Ellsbury just never made sense from the get go. Gardner and him are just far to similar. Would be nice if at least one of them were right handed.

Having 2 left handed fast guys who don't run...   what could work better than that?

I've been pretty frugal when it comes to the purse the last few seasons, but this year I'd like to see the Yankees pick up one of these starters, and trade Ivan Nova. In no particular order. 

Johnny Cueto (30)
Yovani Gallardo (30)
Zack Greinke (32)
David Price (30)
Jeff Samardzija (31) 

Doug Fister (32)
Jordan Zimmermann (30)

Man, they are all older.   If they want a 4-5 year deal, maybe.  But those guys are going to want between 6 and 150 to 8 and 200.  No way I do that for any of them. 

Wouldn't bring back any of them. Chris Young's role should be taken over by Slade Heathcott or Mason Williams. Would be an interesting spring training competition.

Edit: Hmm, just dawned on me that both Williams and Heathcott are left handed hitters. Really doesn't work. Because of the way the roster is setup, the 4th outfielder on this team should really be a right handed hitter.

That team is sooo left handed.

Worst part is, the 2 best hitting right handers are TEX and Arod, a DH and a 1B.  Both are old and you'd want to replace.

No problem with this. One the best defenders in the game. Ryan can play every position in the infield if need be. Bye bye Stephen Drew.

I don't ever want to see Stephen Drew play again for the Yankees.

What they don't need is a 412 year old man hitting 180 for months at a time.

I think theres a better chance the Yanks bring him back rather than not. Cash gets fascinated with these guys, Cairo for example. 

Ref is 24.   Bring him up now or do him the favor of  a trade.  I'd rather a rookie hit 240 with average ish defense who has a future than have a 36 year old who has done nothing in years.

It's gonna be frustrating but the Yankees aren't really gonna be able to do much this off season. I wish we could be flexible in what direction we could go in, but the contracts and age of the players on our roster make that impossible.

C. McCann

1B. Teixeira 

2B. Ackley/Refsnyder

SS. Didi

3B. Headley

LF. Gardner

CF. Ellsbury

RF. Beltran

DH. ARod

That is what we are working with. And unless Teixeira gets hurt again, Bird will likely be in AAA playing everyday. A lineup that will greatly depend on players who are another year older.

Whose contracts are up after this year?

Tex?   With Beltran, Gardner and A Rod up the year after that?   It's hard to get younger with all those still there.

After 2016: Teixeira, Beltran

After 2017: A-Rod, Sabathia

After 2018: Gardner, Headley, Miller

Tex and Beltran, it's good to clear space.  Unfortunately they are 2 of our best RH hitters, with Tex slated to be replaced by a left handed replacement.  (I like Bird, it's just the team is sooooo left handed heavy)

We really really really really need Aaron Judge to be good. We need that right handed power in the middle of the lineup badly. Also, Gary Sanchez (also right handed) though he probably doesn't have a position.

Looking at Judge's #s.  He really needs to cut down on strikeouts.  But yeah, they need to develop some actual players themselves.

judge looked great until the last month, like i said he had a back injury.  hes a far superior prospect than refsnyder whos borderline starter.

Can he be called up next year?  Be a 4th outfielder, spelling Gardner and Ellsbury?  (I know he's not a CF, play him in left and slide Gardner to center for a day)

I haven't heard anything out here about the Rangers wanting to move him. (I live 30 minutes from Arlington).

Ranger fans also hate the Yankees, so from a PR standpoint, they would want a lot back.  I don't know what the Yankees have that they would want.

yankees must be offering Miller as a throw in for any team willing to take Arod or Tex's contract.  Ellsbury's contract is a whale especially with way better outfielders available in free agency.

i would just leave the team as is and go on a wild spending spree in two years.

Tex and Arod are both 10 and 5 guys, they won't go unless they want to.

The Yankees “could make a serious run” at left-hander Wei-Yin Chenreports Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News. A source tells Feinsand that the Yankees will be one of the many teams involved in talks for the Scott Boras client, and in an ideal world, the Yanks would love to add a left-handed starter.

He is decent, but he is the literal definition of a 6 inning pitcher

and would lost our first round draft pick. Unless we go all in and sign one of the top 3 starters available, I hope we trade for a starter.

I so worry about those top 3.  They are going to want 6-8 years @25 per.  Just seems like a bad idea.   I don't know what Greinke will want, maybe a little shorter but bigger money.

which Dembrowski had nothing to do with. Now he's eating away at that lake with trades like this. I guess he's just using the Sox resources to do what he was  incapable of doing in Detroit, build a bullpen. Next move. Spend $170 million on a starter.

Dembroski did not do a good job with the Tigers over the last few years.  And that really seems like a lot to give up for a closer.  I love having Miller and Betances back there, but for 4 good prospects, absolutely trading Miller.  Really for 1 Legit RH hitting prospect and a couple decent ones, I'm moving him.

A closer that lead the NL in saves for four straight seasons until last year.

The have a proven player for two players that are projected to be every day players for whatever that is worth and addressed a clear weakness.    

Will Middlebrooks was projected as an every day player and that did not exactly pan out.

Boston got a quality player, no 2 ways.  They gave up some assets to get him.  You never know with prospects, but it was a steep price for a closer.

That is exactly it.  He didn't do anything so different, but he is treated differently because nobody likes him.

OK, this topic is getting wayyyy off course.

A-Rod is not liked because he has such an odd personality, and because there is so much resentment towards the amount of money he has made.  The personality is his fault.  The money, hey, Tom Hicks offered it to him, it's not his fault he signed the contract.

Interesting.

Andrew Miller cost less money than Dave Robertson, plus letting Robertson go got us an extra draft pick

Miller, 36 saves, 2 Blown, ERA of 2.04

Robertson 34 saves, 7 Blown, ERA of 3.41.  You can easily argue with Robinson instead of Millar the Yankees lose 4 more games and miss the playoffs.

So I would have missed that thrilling night listening to them lose to a National League team on my clock radio because the new house didn't have cable yet?

Nailed it!

12:00pm: According to Mark Feinsand, the Yankees and Cubs have discussed a trade that would send Brett Gardner to Chicago for infielder Starlin Castro. The Yankees talked to the Mariners about Gardner earlier this offseason — George King says they asked for Taijuan Walker in return — and Feinsand says they’ve discussed Gardner with “many teams.”

Starlin Castro?   I admit, I've never seen him play.  But he's signed for 4 more years, and 2 of the last 3 has an OBP under 300, while walking a solid 30 times a year.

They must really not like Refsnyder.

I get saying no to Cano, I don't get the Ellsbury deal. I don't think anyone did lol sometimes the money best spent is the money not spent at all. Cano is declining and is signed through his age 41 season. 

The Ellsbury contract is really bad.   Tyler called that one at the time, but that is crazy money for a good outfielder.  Not elite, just a good player.

Those mega contracts NEVER work out for clubs.  Ever.  And without PEDs, players age normally again.  No more 35 year old HR champs, no more 38 year old CY Youngs.  When someone is 30, they will start to decline.  You don't pay them for what they did, especially what they did on another team.

I just wanna ignore this topic because it's a waste of time to even discuss. But here it goes.

Cano always has and always will be the better player. Also believe he is going to age better than Ellsbury and be useful into his late 30's. I see no reason why he later in his career he can't sacrifice a few points on his BA and hit 35 home runs, and maybe DH maybe play some 1B. With  that said, he's 33 and has 8 years and $192 million freaking dollars left on his deal. Think about that. I love Cano. He was my guy ever since Bernie left the scene. But that is an insane contract.

Cano is way better, an MVP type player.  Ellsbury had one good year. 

But like you said, he still has 8 years on that awful contract.  8

Side note, I also LOVED Bernie. 

Cueto reportedly rejected an offer from the D-Backs. 

Wonder how much he is wanting.

he rejected 6 years 120 million, so we know more than that, how much more I'm not sure. 

That's.... Maybe a little more per year, but no way I'd go 6 years.  Course, I wouldn't sign any of the big FA pitchers this year to a mega deal.  Course, I'm also not a GM, and am totally unqualified.

Want Shelby Miller, but not for Severino. Pass

No, no way I would do that.   I think maybe Atlanta said that just to see what would happen, but they really don't want to move him.

That is going to be an AWFUL contract.   Same guy who gave Verlander that fabulous deal.

Edited by chirorob

Baseball contracts never cease to amaze me.

What are the Sox up to payroll wise?

Price is exactly what the Sox needed. Should have just resigned Lester. Comparing Price to CC is apples and 300 pound apples. 

CC had a rubber arm and threw a lot of innings for a long time.  Price has thrown a lot of innings in MLB, and will be 30 next season (August).  No way he stays good for that contract.  2-3 years, sure, but those last 3 at 93 million or so will be awful.

There's an opt out after 3 years so..

For Price, or for Boston? 

Nice signing. He was getting his money.

Love the Yankee fans raising an eyebrow over contracts. If the Yanks did not already have some of the worst contracts in baseball they would have been all in on Price.

Hey, who better to learn from those mistakes.

Thing is Boston was on the hook for some bad contracts, and the Dodgers kind of helped them out.  Now they have signed the Panda, Ramirez and Price to huge deals. 

Price is excellent.  No argument.  But 30+ million a year for 7 years for a starter is nuts. 

that's what an ace costs now in free agency.  They're talking about Greinke getting an even bigger deal.

Tanaka for $155mil looks like a bargain now.

How many of those mega contracts actually work out?  At least CC was big in helping get a ring.  But almost all of those huge deals for guys 28 and older are bad.

Did they win the World Series? Did they even get to the World Series? No? So what exactly did they accomplish that  my team didn't? Every time one of these trades happen there is a debate whether they should have sacrificed the future for 2 months. Blue Jays new president reportedly scolded the Blue Jays GM for those moves, he's since resigned. If Daniel Norris goes on to be a Cy Young candidate type pitcher you can all but guarantee this trade will be brought up frequently.

That's another thing.  How many times does a team give up multiple prospects for a 2 month rental, and that rental actually puts the team over the top for a ring?

Cubs sign Lackey, 2 years 32 million. 

2 year deal, not bad.  

Greinke 6 years for a 32 year old...  like they said earlier, that's what it takes now.   Still seems like the potential to blow up on you in a few years.

I know he was bad last year, but I could see that being a bargain in this market

or, it could just be almost 100 million dollars thrown away. 

He led the league in hits allowed, and I think in runs allowed.  So he got almost 100 million dollars. 

Side note, I be he's glad he gave up football for baseball.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company