MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

Morrissey

I really can't believe that LA nickel and dimed him. That roster is still built to win now, just pointless with the way they spend.

They are said to have signed Iwakuma and are rumored to be discussing Chapman with the Reds. I'd call that a pretty nice start to the off season if both turn out to be true....plus they got rid of Mattingly.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giants will turn him around. Doesn't hurt he's in NL West with those giant ballparks. If he was a free agent a year ago he would of gotten at least $50 million more.

It just...

I can't get over it.  He's 31.   He has peaked athletically.  He lead the league in hits allowed. 

And...  he is getting 90 million.  It's not even a terrible deal, but it's 90 million.

Jose Fernandez being linked to the Yankees. Deal still unlikely. Source told Olney about 40% chance and rising though. (Of him being dealt in general, d backs and Dodgers listed as suitors too) What would you give up? I'd give up Judge, Sanchez, Matteo.... I really don't want to give up Severino or Bird. I don't think the package I came up with gets the job done though. Fun to think about though. Fernandez, Tanaka, Severino, Pineda and Eovaldi. Wowza. 

can't get Fernandez without giving up Severino.

As good as he is, I wouldn't empty our farm for him.

Haven't heard anything about it but what about a 3 way trade? Yankees send Miller to Houston for pitching prospects, flip those prospects with Judge, Sanchez, etc. to Miami ? Huge stretch, just fun to think about at this point. 

• The Astros “have remained interested” in Yankees closer Andrew Miller, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports on Twitter. It remains far from clear, of course, whether any team will be willing to offer enough to get New York to part with the outstanding lefty, though Houston certainly has the young starting pitching coveted by the Yanks.

^Too complicated to consider. I guess anything is possible though.

Anways.. Looks like the Reds-Dodgers trade with Aroldis Chapman is off or at least held up after an alleged domestic incident at Chapman's home.

Maybe this leads to the Dodgers turning their attention to another sought after closer who could be available via trade. José Peraza and Jose De Leon would be nice. Corey Seager and Julio Urias are likely untouchable. Frankly I don't have a good feel for what we could actually obtain for Miller. Feel like players have cost a lot via free agency and trade.

I like Castro if he can revert back to pre 2015 form. He's still young, I see some untapped potential there. Don't wanna get ahead of myself, since we have no idea what we would be giving up, but I'm a fan of moves like this. Similar type trade like Didi, Eovaldi..

6:08pm: Brett Gardner is not part of the current Starlin Castro talks with the Cubs. The Cubbies don’t want Jacoby Ellsbury either. Chicago is said to be working on all sorts of stuff — they’re after Ben Zobrist, discussing Javier Baez with the Braves and Rays, etc. — so this is part of some master plan for them. [Joel Sherman]

Zobrist to Cubs, 4 year/ $56 million isn't a terrible deal in this market. Would prefer to go 3 years, but the $$ isn't awful. Wonder what the Mets offered. Early reports of $80 million would of scared me off initially.

Anyways so Castro trade next shoe to drop?

Ben Zobrist‘s free agency has reached its conclusion, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the infielder will sign with the Cubs (Twitter link). The contract will reunite Zobrist with former Rays manager Joe Maddon, who is now the skipper of the Cubs. Zobrist is represented by Octagon. All indications earlier this afternoon were that Zobrist would receive a four-year contract, and Rosenthal tweets that the exact guarantee on that four-year deal will be $56MM.

Castro is better than Zobrist, younger, and cheaper. Not sure what the Cubs are thinking. And where does Castro play for the Yanks?

I'd have to imagine 2nd base? I'm nervous as to what we're giving up. I like Castro and his upside but at a low cost. He's been pretty bad 2 of the past 3 years. 

Archived