MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

Morrissey

When he cares and pays attention.

Worth the gamble. Risk is higher than Didi, Eovaldi, Hicks trades because of the dollars involved, but this trade still falls inline with those kinda of high upside acquisitions Cashman has made last two off-seasons. He's done well with those.

Meanwhile how much $$ are the Mets now going to have to pay to beg Murphy to come back after they lost out on their 1st choice?

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth the gamble. Risk is higher than Didi, Eovaldi, Hicks trades because of the dollars involved, but this trade still falls inline with those kinda of high upside acquisitions Cashman has made last two off-seasons. He's done well with those.

Meanwhile how much $$ are the Mets now going to have to pay to beg Murphy to come back after they lost out on their 1st choice?

The Mets have their second baseman of the future on their roster in Dilson Herrera, so they do not need to panic. They have a lot of options.

Again, Castro has bouts of inattention and indifference.

The Mets have their second baseman of the future on their roster in Dilson Herrera, so they do not need to panic. They have a lot of options.

Again, Castro has bouts of inattention and indifference.

name starting to be thrown around the mets is Ian Desmond. Pure speculation though no evidence yet. 

name starting to be thrown around the mets is Ian Desmond. Pure speculation though no evidence yet. 

If the Mets could get Desmond on the cheap for a 1 year in order to prove his worth again, I would be fine.

At one time, I wanted Castro, too. If he can have a long career, he is a 3,000 hit candidate. But, if you thought Murphy had bouts of boneheaded play that defies description, Castro takes the cake. Maybe a change of scenario does him good.

Wanna get away? ;)

What you are looking for with Castro is a .280-300 avg, 15 home runs with solid defense at 2B.

You guys will get that from him. He has hit for avg and up till this year, obp - but his runs accounted for stat was disproportionately low.

I'm sad to see him go as I think his best is in front of him and is already only 9 shy of 1000 hits.

Maddon went on record more than once saying how he shows up daily with a thirst to learn and improve. Not just when he was benched last season. 

You guys will get that from him. He has hit for avg and up till this year, obp - but his runs accounted for stat was disproportionately low.

I'm sad to see him go as I think his best is in front of him and is already only 9 shy of 1000 hits.

Maddon went on record more than once saying how he shows up daily with a thirst to learn and improve. Not just when he was benched last season. 

9 hits shy of 1,000 before he's 26, that's pretty amazing if you think about.

I know he was bad last year, but I could see that being a bargain in this market

Giants will turn him around. Doesn't hurt he's in NL West with those giant ballparks. If he was a free agent a year ago he would of gotten at least $50 million more.

Zobrist to Cubs, 4 year/ $56 million isn't a terrible deal in this market. Would prefer to go 3 years, but the $$ isn't awful. Wonder what the Mets offered. Early reports of $80 million would of scared me off initially.

Anyways so Castro trade next shoe to drop?

Holy sh-t? You mean I'm capable of actually thinking a deal another team made is not bad? Wow. Does that mean GimmeShelter doesn't know what he's talking about? Wow.

Mets fan sport and multiple posters have seen your same style no matter what team it is about....Red Sox, Cubs or Mets

We are kind of getting away from the point of the topic.

He has always killed the Yanks on Ellsbury, so it's not like loves everything the Yanks do.  I don't really like the Heyward signing either, I think it's too much.  But they didn't ask me so it doesn't matter what I think.

I was the one who does not like the Szamardhjaaugfna;ug however you spell his name signing, Tyler thinks it's good, and he likes the Zobrist signing.  I think it's too much to give to a 34 year old.

According to some around here....only if it's the Yankees who sign him.

Or Dodgers.

While I doubt he gets 500 (unless the contract is real long), I could see him getting 400.  Especially, if they lock him up early.

Todd Frazier has slugged 64 home runs the last two seasons. (Photo: Charles LeClaire, USA TODAY Sports)

All-Star third baseman Todd Frazier has been traded to the Chicago White Sox in a three-team deal that also involves the Los Angeles Dodgers, the White Sox announced on Wednesday.

Frazier's trade will accelerate the Cincinnati Reds' rebuilding program that gained steam with the July trade of ace Johnny Cueto and the attempted trade of closer Aroldis Chapman, whose trade to the Dodgers fell through after details of an alleged domestic violence incident emerged. Frazier, 29, is under club control through 2018 and his reasonable salary - he'll make $7.5 million in 2016 - and power-hitting ability (64 home runs the past two seasons) made him one of the game's most marketable trade assets.

In return, the Reds will receive infielder Jose Peraza, outfielder Scott Schebler and infielder Brandon Dixon from the Dodgers, who acquired Peraza from the Braves in July.

Now, they will flip Peraza and receive three prospects from the White Sox, all with major league experience: Pitcher Frankie Montas, center fielder Trayce Thompson and second baseman Micah Johnson. Montas is expected to the prize of the bunch - he reached the majors after posting a 2.94 ERA and striking out 108 in 112 innings at Class AA Birmingham.

Wow. It sounds like Minnesota really soured on Hicks. Reports from within the last 2 years stating that he was lazy to the point where he didn't know the opposing teams starting pitchers that were scheduled to pitch that day. Hope he's turned it around. 

He was a big prospect in the Twins organization 3-4 years ago that has not yet panned out at the Major League level. His numbers against lefties are from a very small sample size but did show some pop and ability to hit for average against them last season.  He hasn't hit righties at all.  I like this deal anyway as the Yanks dealt from a position of excess to get him.  Hopefully like Castro he is one of those young kids who just needs a change of scenery. I would be surprised if he is their everyday CF to open the season.

Not a particularity good fit for the Nats. You got Zimmerman at 1B, Rendon at 2B, Turner/Esponosa at SS. Starting Murphy at 2B everyday is just dumb. He's proven to be one of the worst defensive 2B in the game. He should be a 3B/1B/DH.

Some Mets fans will cry about losing Murphy to the Nats, but they made out well with Neil Walker over Murphy.

Archived