MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

Morrissey

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ref is 24.   Bring him up now or do him the favor of  a trade.  I'd rather a rookie hit 240 with average ish defense who has a future than have a 36 year old who has done nothing in years.

Refsnyder should be the starting 2b next season.  

Btw I hope the Cubs get Price.

It's gonna be frustrating but the Yankees aren't really gonna be able to do much this off season. I wish we could be flexible in what direction we could go in, but the contracts and age of the players on our roster make that impossible.

C. McCann

1B. Teixeira 

2B. Ackley/Refsnyder

SS. Didi

3B. Headley

LF. Gardner

CF. Ellsbury

RF. Beltran

DH. ARod

That is what we are working with. And unless Teixeira gets hurt again, Bird will likely be in AAA playing everyday. A lineup that will greatly depend on players who are another year older.

It's gonna be frustrating but the Yankees aren't really gonna be able to do much this off season. I wish we could be flexible in what direction we could go in, but the contracts and age of the players on our roster make that impossible.

C. McCann

1B. Teixeira 

2B. Ackley/Refsnyder

SS. Didi

3B. Headley

LF. Gardner

CF. Ellsbury

RF. Beltran

DH. ARod

That is what we are working with. And unless Teixeira gets hurt again, Bird will likely be in AAA playing everyday. A lineup that will greatly depend on players who are another year older.

Whose contracts are up after this year?

Tex?   With Beltran, Gardner and A Rod up the year after that?   It's hard to get younger with all those still there.

Tex?   With Beltran, Gardner and A Rod up the year after that?   It's hard to get younger with all those still there.

After 2016: Teixeira ('16:$22.5M), Beltran ('16:$15M)

After 2017: A-Rod ('16 $20M, '17:$20M) , Sabathia ('16:$25M, 17:$25M)

After 2018: Gardner ('15:$12M, '16:$13M, '17:$12M, '18:$11M, '19:$12.5M club option), Headley ('16:$13M, '17:$13M, '18:$13M), Miller ('15-'18:$9M annually)

After 2016: Teixeira, Beltran

After 2017: A-Rod, Sabathia

After 2018: Gardner, Headley, Miller

Tex and Beltran, it's good to clear space.  Unfortunately they are 2 of our best RH hitters, with Tex slated to be replaced by a left handed replacement.  (I like Bird, it's just the team is sooooo left handed heavy)

Tex and Beltran, it's good to clear space.  Unfortunately they are 2 of our best RH hitters, with Tex slated to be replaced by a left handed replacement.  (I like Bird, it's just the team is sooooo left handed heavy)

We really really really really need Aaron Judge to be good. We need that right handed power in the middle of the lineup badly. Also, Gary Sanchez (also right handed) though he probably doesn't have a position.

the Mets were after him during the year.  A little long in the tooth, but in good shape and healthy.  He could be a good addition.  The kind of hitter they really need

Think they went after him for the season that just ended. Dilson Herrera is probably their second baseman moving forward. Think they are more likely to be in the market for a SS, unless they think Flores made strides with his defense.

Think they went after him for the season that just ended. Dilson Herrera is probably their second baseman moving forward. Think they are more likely to be in the market for a SS, unless they think Flores made strides with his defense.

They have a good SS prospect maybe a half or a year away, and a better prospect 2 years away.  I see Flores eventually as a backup for Wright and for the other positions.

We really really really really need Aaron Judge to be good. We need that right handed power in the middle of the lineup badly. Also, Gary Sanchez (also right handed) though he probably doesn't have a position.

Looking at Judge's #s.  He really needs to cut down on strikeouts.  But yeah, they need to develop some actual players themselves.

Looking at Judge's #s.  He really needs to cut down on strikeouts.  But yeah, they need to develop some actual players themselves.

Some think he was playing hurt in the 2nd half last year. He hurt his back and was out 4 games and when he came back he wasn't the same.

The Mariners and Rays have announced a three-for-three trade that sends infielder/outfielder Brad Miller, first baseman Logan Morrison, and reliever Danny Farquhar from Seattle to Tampa in exchange for righty Nate Karns, lefty C.J. Riefenhauser, and minor league outfielder Boog Powell.

The Mariners and Rays have announced a three-for-three trade that sends infielder/outfielder Brad Miller, first baseman Logan Morrison, and reliever Danny Farquhar from Seattle to Tampa in exchange for righty Nate Karns, lefty C.J. Riefenhauser, and minor league outfielder Boog Powell.

Boog Powell isw still clanking around? That is pretty impressive.

I don't ever want to see Stephen Drew play again for the Yankees.

What they don't need is a 412 year old man hitting 180 for months at a time.

The funniest part was listening to Sterling and Waldman tell listeners how he really was productive and always on the cusp of coming around.

That and "Headley deserves the Gold Glove" were two of the biggest homer statements Yankee radio repeatedly made.

only thing the Yankees can do is ride out these current contracts then go on a crazy spending spree in two years

the only significant move I can see us doing is the kid Maeda from Japan

supposedly Judge hasn't looked good in the minors which is why he didn't get called up last year

outfuelders are a dime dozen however.  Ref is the more critical prospect because he played 2nd.

supposedly Judge hasn't looked good in the minors which is why he didn't get called up last year

outfuelders are a dime dozen however.  Ref is the more critical prospect because he played 2nd.

judge looked great until the last month, like i said he had a back injury.  hes a far superior prospect than refsnyder whos borderline starter.

judge looked great until the last month, like i said he had a back injury.  hes a far superior prospect than refsnyder whos borderline starter.

Can he be called up next year?  Be a 4th outfielder, spelling Gardner and Ellsbury?  (I know he's not a CF, play him in left and slide Gardner to center for a day)

Can he be called up next year?  Be a 4th outfielder, spelling Gardner and Ellsbury?  (I know he's not a CF, play him in left and slide Gardner to center for a day)

Dont think theyll call him up unless hes gonna play almost everyday. He will be in AAA, so if he gets off to a quick start buzz will start about a callup, especially of Beltran isnt performing, but h has has to earn it. 

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are very active on the trade market early this offseason. At the very least, it appears they are gauging interest in all their players. “Sounds like the Yankees are shopping everyone,” said one executive to Rosenthal, “with the exception of (Luis) Severino.” Jon Heyman hears Andrew Miller‘s name is being circulated, though it’s unclear how serious the Yankees are about moving him.

@Tyler Durden , Seems like Cash has something up his sleeve. Still too early to tell but looks like anything can happen. 

Cashman has to be pretty creative to make any  significant changes, he's really handcuffed by the age/contracts, especially in our lineup. Just don't see any flexibility there. Gardner is the only player in the everyday lineup I can actually see someone willing to trade for.

MLB's Player's Choice Award winners

15h

• Player of the year: TOR 3B Josh Donaldson
  • AL outstanding player: TOR 3B Josh Donaldson
  • NL outstanding player: WSH OF Bryce Harper
  • AL outstanding pitcher: HOU Dallas Keuchel
  • NL outstanding pitcher: LAD Zack Greinke

I haven't heard anything out here about the Rangers wanting to move him. (I live 30 minutes from Arlington).

Ranger fans also hate the Yankees, so from a PR standpoint, they would want a lot back.  I don't know what the Yankees have that they would want.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are very active on the trade market early this offseason. At the very least, it appears they are gauging interest in all their players. “Sounds like the Yankees are shopping everyone,” said one executive to Rosenthal, “with the exception of (Luis) Severino.” Jon Heyman hears Andrew Miller‘s name is being circulated, though it’s unclear how serious the Yankees are about moving him.

@Tyler Durden , Seems like Cash has something up his sleeve. Still too early to tell but looks like anything can happen. 

yankees must be offering Miller as a throw in for any team willing to take Arod or Tex's contract.  Ellsbury's contract is a whale especially with way better outfielders available in free agency.

i would just leave the team as is and go on a wild spending spree in two years.

yankees must be offering Miller as a throw in for any team willing to take Arod or Tex's contract.  Ellsbury's contract is a whale especially with way better outfielders available in free agency.

Andrew Miller for Stephen Strasburg rumors are circulating, no concrete evidence yet but that's being thrown around. 

Lots of Twitter chatter about the Yankees moving Gardner. I suspect that Yankees fans would hate that.

he's definitely a fan favorite, homegrown all star. It would suck, but if it improves the team and gives us flexibility to make us better I can't go against it. He's not an untouchable player.

Tex and Arod are both 10 and 5 guys, they won't go unless they want to.

Andrew Miller for Stephen Strasburg rumors are circulating, no concrete evidence yet but that's being thrown around. 

pipe dream

he's definitely a fan favorite, homegrown all star. It would suck, but if it improves the team and gives us flexibility to make us better I can't go against it. He's not an untouchable player.

agree with this, I'd much rather deal Ellsbury, but his contract makes that impossible.  I hate being so damn inflexible. We gotta stop giving contracts more than 5 years to players over 30, and no trade clauses.

pipe dream

agree with this, I'd much rather deal Ellsbury, but his contract makes that impossible.  I hate being so damn inflexible. We gotta stop giving contracts more than 5 years to players over 30, and no trade clauses.

The Padres have struck a deal to acquire infielder Jose Pirela from the Yankees, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports on Twitter. New York will add minor league righty Ronald Herrera in return.

Herrera made it to the Double-A level last year at just 20 years of age. The Venezuelan native came to San Diego as the player to be named later in the trade that sent Kyle Blanks to the A’s. He worked 145 2/3 innings this year, split between High-A and Double-A, with a 4.08 ERA and 6.4 K/9 against 2.6 BB/9. Herrera is known as a polished but undersized hurler who could eventually find a place in a big league rotation.

YESTERDAY: The market for free-agent right-hander Darren O’Day is moving quickly, reports ESPN’s Buster Olney (links to Twitter). The Beverly Hills Sports Council client already has offers in hand, according to Olney, and he’s planning to meet with the managers of some of those teams in the coming week. Olney lists the Tigers, Red Sox and Giants as three clubs to have shown interest in O’Day, though it’s not known if any of those three are among the teams to have extended a formal offer.

Archived