Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

I know he was bad last year, but I could see that being a bargain in this market

Yankee fans take note, what the Reds get for Chapman will give us a good idea what we could possibly get for Miller if we decide to trade him. 

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Upvote 1

or, it could just be almost 100 million dollars thrown away. 

He led the league in hits allowed, and I think in runs allowed.  So he got almost 100 million dollars. 

Side note, I be he's glad he gave up football for baseball.

Giants will turn him around. Doesn't hurt he's in NL West with those giant ballparks. If he was a free agent a year ago he would of gotten at least $50 million more.

Edited by Tyler Durden

can't get Fernandez without giving up Severino.

As good as he is, I wouldn't empty our farm for him.

^Too complicated to consider. I guess anything is possible though.

Anways.. Looks like the Reds-Dodgers trade with Aroldis Chapman is off or at least held up after an alleged domestic incident at Chapman's home.

Maybe this leads to the Dodgers turning their attention to another sought after closer who could be available via trade. José Peraza and Jose De Leon would be nice. Corey Seager and Julio Urias are likely untouchable. Frankly I don't have a good feel for what we could actually obtain for Miller. Feel like players have cost a lot via free agency and trade.

Edited by Tyler Durden

it looks like this is what needs to come together...

I like Castro if he can revert back to pre 2015 form. He's still young, I see some untapped potential there. Don't wanna get ahead of myself, since we have no idea what we would be giving up, but I'm a fan of moves like this. Similar type trade like Didi, Eovaldi..

Zobrist to Cubs, 4 year/ $56 million isn't a terrible deal in this market. Would prefer to go 3 years, but the $$ isn't awful. Wonder what the Mets offered. Early reports of $80 million would of scared me off initially.

Anyways so Castro trade next shoe to drop?

Edited by Tyler Durden

Have to think the $38 million Castro is still owed would dictate the return Cubs get for him.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Castro is better than Zobrist, younger, and cheaper. Not sure what the Cubs are thinking. And where does Castro play for the Yanks?

everyday 2B, backup SS

Hopefully it's for Nova. I like Castro's upside. He played a good 2B and really hit well down the stretch  last season. Clear upgrade at 2B. Refsnyder has no future with this team, Cashman couldn't get past his defense.

Trading Warren stings a bit. Would of prefered to deal Nova, but to me... this is a no brainer.

Well 2014 was a really good year for him, but that was sandwiched in-between 2 pretty bad years. Change of scenery might help, also the fact he's only 25 years old. With age might come more consistency. 

He came on strong last year, particularly when Cubs moved him to 2B

Starlin Castro has hit LHP over his career: .295/.344/.415 in 903 PA.

• Upvote 1

Castro after move to second base last season: .353/.373/.588 slash line the final 47 games.

• Upvote 1

Obviously I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could trade a pick for at least a year after drafting him.

they got rid of that rule within the last year. I remember a trade being made last off season where the best prospect in the deal was "Player to be named later" They had to wait until June for them to actually trade him. The player was twiddling his thumbs for 5 months until he could go to his new teams facilities. But at least it led to the policy change.

Edited by Tyler Durden

What you are looking for with Castro is a .280-300 avg, 15 home runs with solid defense at 2B.

• Upvote 1

Yankees continue to add youth with high upside Aaron Hicks (26) and Starlin Castro (25). After doing so last year with Didi and Eovaldi. Cashman does have a plan it seems. Really puts us in better shape and makes us more felixble moving forward until these terrible contracts expire.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Castro is 25. In 3 major league seasons he has hit .300 with .340 OBP. He led NL in hits one season. A lot of upside here.

When he cares and pays attention.

Worth the gamble. Risk is higher than Didi, Eovaldi, Hicks trades because of the dollars involved, but this trade still falls inline with those kinda of high upside acquisitions Cashman has made last two off-seasons. He's done well with those.

Meanwhile how much $$ are the Mets now going to have to pay to beg Murphy to come back after they lost out on their 1st choice?

Edited by Tyler Durden

They really do.  For the life of me, I don't know why.

Because he's really not a second basemen. Transition from RF to 2B has been pretty much a failure.

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Upvote 1

Scouts must like those two prospects, minor league numbers aren't great.

You guys will get that from him. He has hit for avg and up till this year, obp - but his runs accounted for stat was disproportionately low.

I'm sad to see him go as I think his best is in front of him and is already only 9 shy of 1000 hits.

Maddon went on record more than once saying how he shows up daily with a thirst to learn and improve. Not just when he was benched last season. 

9 hits shy of 1,000 before he's 26, that's pretty amazing if you think about.

According to some around here....only if it's the Yankees who sign him.

Give it a rest. If you can't handle a little criticism of your team, then go post on a Cubs forum.

I know he was bad last year, but I could see that being a bargain in this market

Giants will turn him around. Doesn't hurt he's in NL West with those giant ballparks. If he was a free agent a year ago he would of gotten at least $50 million more.

Zobrist to Cubs, 4 year/ $56 million isn't a terrible deal in this market. Would prefer to go 3 years, but the $$ isn't awful. Wonder what the Mets offered. Early reports of $80 million would of scared me off initially.

Anyways so Castro trade next shoe to drop?

Holy sh-t? You mean I'm capable of actually thinking a deal another team made is not bad? Wow. Does that mean GimmeShelter doesn't know what he's talking about? Wow.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Not a particularity good fit for the Nats. You got Zimmerman at 1B, Rendon at 2B, Turner/Esponosa at SS. Starting Murphy at 2B everyday is just dumb. He's proven to be one of the worst defensive 2B in the game. He should be a 3B/1B/DH.

Some Mets fans will cry about losing Murphy to the Nats, but they made out well with Neil Walker over Murphy.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Murphy’s -40 defensive runs saved at second base over the last four seasons rank second-worst in baseball (Rickie Weeks is at -62). He’ll be a defensive downgrade for the Nationals, who got more defensive runs saved from their second basemen last season ( 8 ) than any other team in the National League.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company