Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

so Mets are saying Ben Zobrist is apparently too rich for our blood? rut roh...

Did you expect them to say "There is not an amount that Ben Zobrist and his agent that can submit, that would be too high for us"?

• Upvote 1

Did you expect them to say "There is not an amount that Ben Zobrist and his agent that can submit, that would be too high for us"?

this isn't a negotiating ploy by us…we reached out and were spooked by his # and bailed, which I agree with JF80 above is fine with me as long as they spend the money at some point and don't hoard it.

this isn't a negotiating ploy by us…we reached out and were spooked by his # and bailed, which I agree with JF80 above is fine with me as long as they spend the money at some point and don't hoard it.

I am not saying the Mets will or won't sign Zobrist, BUT Alderson initially balked at signing Cuddyer last winter, also.

Just because a GM throws things out for public consumption, does not make it so.

The Tigers have officially acquired reliever Francisco Rodriguez from the Brewers. Infielder Javier Betancourt will head to Milwaukee in the swap.

TODAY: Ortiz announced via Twitter that he’ll call it quits after the coming year. “Life is based on different chapters,” said Ortiz, “and I think I am ready to experience the next one in my life.”

Can't say I'm sad to see him go

TODAY: Ortiz announced via Twitter that he’ll call it quits after the coming year. “Life is based on different chapters,” said Ortiz, “and I think I am ready to experience the next one in my life.”

Can't say I'm sad to see him go

I am. One of the most important sports figures in Boston history. They don't break the curse without him. 

For...?

Not sure exactly what it would take, Gardner and likely a pretty good prospect.

I am. One of the most important sports figures in Boston history. They don't break the curse without him. 

or Manny and Ortiz's drug dealer.

ARod is a pariah, while Ortiz gets a pass because he's Dominican Shrek. Media is shameful.

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Downvote 1

Not sure exactly what it would take, Gardner and likely a pretty good prospect.

it would take a hell of a lot more than that to be honest

• Upvote 1

or Manny and Ortiz's drug dealer.

ARod is a pariah, while Ortiz gets a pass because he's Dominican Shrek. Media is shameful.

The way ARod and Ortiz handled their situations was completely different. Also, ARod got caught after the rules were implemented. Ortiz' name, in actuality, should have never been released. Also, you have no idea what he took. There's a lot more to it than "shameful" media. 

The way ARod and Ortiz handled their situations was completely different. Also, ARod got caught after the rules were implemented. Ortiz' name, in actuality, should have never been released. Also, you have no idea what he took. There's a lot more to it than "shameful" media. 

Ortiz completely denied it... and still does. Baseball media continues to give him a pass.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Ortiz completely denied it... and still does. Baseball media continues to give him a pass.

I'm not going to have the same old argument again. Media did not give him a pass. 

Sammy Sosa failed the exact same test as Ortiz, Sosa has been black balled from the game and no one will ever consider him for the Hall of Fame despite hitting over 600 home runs.

Sammy Sosa failed the exact same test as Ortiz, Sosa has been black balled from the game and no one will ever consider him for the Hall of Fame despite hitting over 600 home runs.

He also sat there and lied to congress. So. Yeah. Good example. 

He also sat there and lied to congress. So. Yeah. Good example. 

and Ortiz has been lying to everyone for a decade.

Edited by Tyler Durden

and Ortiz has been lying to everyone for a decade.

No. He hasn't. This isn't the right thread for this. Let's not derail it with your unneeded witch hunt. 

No. He hasn't. This isn't the right thread for this. Let's not derail it with your unneeded witch hunt. 

Man.. the double standards with Ortiz sure runs deep.

I've said my piece.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Yeah. That's not happening. 

I was hoping maybe the Tigers get involved but they just got K-Rod. If we could get some major prospects id deal him. 

And avoiding that train wreck that is A-Rod.

Really? 

Boston media either loves him or hates him.  Buster Olney said while he would vote for him, but he has no chance of getting in to the Hall due to others blocking him.  Dan Shaughnessy said he would not vote for him.

How exactly is he getting a pass?

I was hoping maybe the Tigers get involved but they just got K-Rod. If we could get some major prospects id deal him. 

I was only saying that they wouldn't get a Kimbrel like package for Miller because of the age and contract differences.

Well... there was also the cork.

Well... there was also the cork.

And didn't he go in front of congress and deny taking tests?

And how is this Ortiz's fault?

And didn't he go in front of congress and deny taking tests?

And how is this Ortiz's fault?

I think A-Rod gets a bit of a raw deal because IMO so many of them are juicing it is silly to single a few guys out and make them the poster boys.  Football is worse.  At least baseball can theoretically be played clean.

The Orioles and Pirates discussed a trade that would’ve sent Neil Walker to Baltimore at last week’s GM Meetings, reports Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com.

asking price was too high so talks fell through. I like Neil Walker he could be a nice piece wonder if the Yanks would get involved if they continued to shop him. 

I think A-Rod gets a bit of a raw deal because IMO so many of them are juicing it is silly to single a few guys out and make them the poster boys.  Football is worse.  At least baseball can theoretically be played clean.

Is A-Rod getting a raw deal for the PEDs?  Or because he is a bit of an ass?   I think it is more the latter.

Is A-Rod getting a raw deal for the PEDs?  Or because he is a bit of an ass?   I think it is more the latter.

That is exactly it.  He didn't do anything so different, but he is treated differently because nobody likes him.

That is exactly it.  He didn't do anything so different, but he is treated differently because nobody likes him.

That is it in a nutshell. 

While it might be unfair, his issues, for the most part, are self inflicted.