Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

That is exactly it.  He didn't do anything so different, but he is treated differently because nobody likes him.

OK, this topic is getting wayyyy off course.

A-Rod is not liked because he has such an odd personality, and because there is so much resentment towards the amount of money he has made.  The personality is his fault.  The money, hey, Tom Hicks offered it to him, it's not his fault he signed the contract.

Interesting.

Andrew Miller cost less money than Dave Robertson, plus letting Robertson go got us an extra draft pick

Miller, 36 saves, 2 Blown, ERA of 2.04

Robertson 34 saves, 7 Blown, ERA of 3.41.  You can easily argue with Robinson instead of Millar the Yankees lose 4 more games and miss the playoffs.

Interesting.

Andrew Miller cost less money than Dave Robertson, plus letting Robertson go got us an extra draft pick

Miller, 36 saves, 2 Blown, ERA of 2.04

Robertson 34 saves, 7 Blown, ERA of 3.41.  You can easily argue with Robinson instead of Millar the Yankees lose 4 more games and miss the playoffs.

So I would have missed that thrilling night listening to them lose to a National League team on my clock radio because the new house didn't have cable yet?

So I would have missed that thrilling night listening to them lose to a National League team on my clock radio because the new house didn't have cable yet?

Nailed it!

Yankees' general manager Brian Cashman met with reporters at a charity event in Manhattan Thursday night and said he was fielding calls about his team not long before he arrived. "I'm getting a lot of action on a lot of guys," Cashman said. Like...? Cashman wouldn't say, but repeated his line of the last few weeks: he's open to anything. OK, but any deals close? "There there are some things in play that if some teams say 'Yay' to the positions I've taken, then yeah," Cashman said.

"There's been some time that's developed between the last deal and the current status. But as I've said, I can honestly tell you I was on the phone with a general manager as I was pulling in to the parking garage. So, you never know."

12:00pm: According to Mark Feinsand, the Yankees and Cubs have discussed a trade that would send Brett Gardner to Chicago for infielder Starlin Castro. The Yankees talked to the Mariners about Gardner earlier this offseason — George King says they asked for Taijuan Walker in return — and Feinsand says they’ve discussed Gardner with “many teams.”

The Cardinals are interested in first baseman Chris Davis and have spoken to agent Scott Boras about the slugger since the onset of free agency, reports Jon Morosi of FOX Sports

12:00pm: According to Mark Feinsand, the Yankees and Cubs have discussed a trade that would send Brett Gardner to Chicago for infielder Starlin Castro. The Yankees talked to the Mariners about Gardner earlier this offseason — George King says they asked for Taijuan Walker in return — and Feinsand says they’ve discussed Gardner with “many teams.”

Starlin Castro?   I admit, I've never seen him play.  But he's signed for 4 more years, and 2 of the last 3 has an OBP under 300, while walking a solid 30 times a year.

They must really not like Refsnyder.

Starlin Castro?   I admit, I've never seen him play.  But he's signed for 4 more years, and 2 of the last 3 has an OBP under 300, while walking a solid 30 times a year.

didn't believe the initial report this morning and now..

https://twitter.com/feinsandnydn/status/667801604284780545

Edited by Tyler Durden

update from heyman denies the report, says yanks want pitching in return

The Astros are “hell-bent” on acquiring a closer, sources tell ESPN’s Jayson Stark. The Astros have made calls on Aroldis Chapmanof the Reds, Andrew Miller of the Yankees, and Brad Boxberger of the Rays, as well as potential free agent possibilities. They’ve also spoken with the Phillies about Ken Gilesas had previously been reported.

Remember, the Astros offered Andrew Miller more money last offseason but joined the Yankees for less dollars. Sounds like he's their guy, interested to see what they're willing to give up to get him. I'm up to trading both him and Gardner if it helps get younger and gives us more flexibility. 

OK, this topic is getting wayyyy off course.

A-Rod is not liked because he has such an odd personality, and because there is so much resentment towards the amount of money he has made.  The personality is his fault.  The money, hey, Tom Hicks offered it to him, it's not his fault he signed the contract.

I actually know a couple mlb players and Arod is universally disliked.  A lot is just haterade because of the contract - a lot of these players are also fans like us also succeptible to the manufactured outrage by the fans especially the Red Sox fans at ESPN.

Remember, the Astros offered Andrew Miller more money last offseason but joined the Yankees for less dollars. Sounds like he's their guy, interested to see what they're willing to give up to get him. I'm up to trading both him and Gardner if it helps get younger and gives us more flexibility. 

you only trade miller if you can get rid of ellsbury or CC's contract (not happening)

Otherwise keep him.  

you only trade miller if you can get rid of ellsbury or CC's contract (not happening)

Otherwise keep him.  

Disagree, if you can get a Kimbrel package you do it. 

I actually know a couple mlb players and Arod is universally disliked.  A lot is just haterade because of the contract - a lot of these players are also fans like us also succeptible to the manufactured outrage by the fans especially the Red Sox fans at ESPN.

Hi AEC

• Upvote 1

The Dodgers are expected to hire Dave Roberts as the team’s next manager on Monday, sources tell Dylan Hernandez, Bill Plaschke and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. Ew

The Dodgers are expected to hire Dave Roberts as the team’s next manager on Monday, sources tell Dylan Hernandez, Bill Plaschke and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. Ew

Good for him. 

Disagree, if you can get a Kimbrel package you do it. 

rather just stick with miller and betances

and keep our prospects for once

Edited by drdetroit

Robby Cano tired of Seattle

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/robinson-cano-wants-out-of-seattle-back-to-new-york-112315

I'm sorry.  If I was Seattle I'd be pissed.  You are getting paid a Quarter of a Billion Dollars.  Shut the F up and play ball.  You didn't have to take the money, you did, shut up and play.

Robby Cano tired of Seattle

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/robinson-cano-wants-out-of-seattle-back-to-new-york-112315

I'm sorry.  If I was Seattle I'd be pissed.  You are getting paid a Quarter of a Billion Dollars.  Shut the F up and play ball.  You didn't have to take the money, you did, shut up and play.

some "friend" of Cano told this reporter that Cano is privately telling people he wants out. It's at best lazy stupid story, at worst straight up lies to generate some buzz before free agency heats up. A story that is sure to get a lot of buzz but with absolutely no shot of happening.

Edited by Tyler Durden

The Yanks didn't want Cano's contract then, they won't want it now. 

I'll never understand why the Yankees signed Ellsbury who is just a slightly better Gardner when they could have just used that money for Cano. Made them worse, which always makes me smile.

I'll never understand why the Yankees signed Ellsbury who is just a slightly better Gardner when they could have just used that money for Cano. Made them worse, which always makes me smile.

I get saying no to Cano, I don't get the Ellsbury deal. I don't think anyone did lol sometimes the money best spent is the money not spent at all. Cano is declining and is signed through his age 41 season. 

I get saying no to Cano, I don't get the Ellsbury deal. I don't think anyone did lol sometimes the money best spent is the money not spent at all. Cano is declining and is signed through his age 41 season. 

Not much difference than Ellsbury through 38 and he's already declining. Cashman is crazy sometimes.