Morrissey

MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

I get saying no to Cano, I don't get the Ellsbury deal. I don't think anyone did lol sometimes the money best spent is the money not spent at all. Cano is declining and is signed through his age 41 season. 

The Ellsbury contract is really bad.   Tyler called that one at the time, but that is crazy money for a good outfielder.  Not elite, just a good player.

Those mega contracts NEVER work out for clubs.  Ever.  And without PEDs, players age normally again.  No more 35 year old HR champs, no more 38 year old CY Youngs.  When someone is 30, they will start to decline.  You don't pay them for what they did, especially what they did on another team.

I just wanna ignore this topic because it's a waste of time to even discuss. But here it goes.

Cano always has and always will be the better player. Also believe he is going to age better than Ellsbury and be useful into his late 30's. I see no reason why he later in his career he can't sacrifice a few points on his BA and hit 35 home runs, and maybe DH maybe play some 1B. With  that said, he's 33 and has 8 years and $192 million freaking dollars left on his deal. Think about that. I love Cano. He was my guy ever since Bernie left the scene. But that is an insane contract.

I just wanna ignore this topic because it's a waste of time to even discuss. But here it goes.

Cano always has and always will be the better player. Also believe he is going to age better than Ellsbury and be useful into his late 30's. I see no reason why he later in his career he can't sacrifice a few points on his BA and hit 35 home runs, and maybe DH maybe play some 1B. With  that said, he's 33 and has 8 years and $192 million freaking dollars left on his deal. Think about that. I love Cano. He was my guy ever since Bernie left the scene. But that is an insane contract.

Cano is way better, an MVP type player.  Ellsbury had one good year. 

But like you said, he still has 8 years on that awful contract.  8

Side note, I also LOVED Bernie. 

The Red Sox are emerging as a big spender in the chase for David Price, but Buster Olney hopes they're ready to open the purse: Last winter, they were hesitant to offer Jon Lester $135M -- and that'll be far less than what Price can command.

some "friend" of Cano told this reporter that Cano is privately telling people he wants out. It's at best lazy stupid story, at worst straight up lies to generate some buzz before free agency heats up. A story that is sure to get a lot of buzz but with absolutely no shot of happening.

Agree.  Cano played through a double hernia last season and was his old self and then some in the second half putting up great numbers.

The Dipoto hiring signals the Mariners are a win now team so Cano will likely be staying in Seattle.

The Tigers are in talks with free agent starting pitcher Jordan Zimmermann, tweets Jon Morosi of FOX Sports. Sources tell Morosi and Ken Rosenthal that talks have become serious. The Dodgers and Cubs have also been tied to Zimmermann.

he rejected 6 years 120 million, so we know more than that, how much more I'm not sure. 

That's.... Maybe a little more per year, but no way I'd go 6 years.  Course, I wouldn't sign any of the big FA pitchers this year to a mega deal.  Course, I'm also not a GM, and am totally unqualified.

Sawx sign Chris young to multi year deal, idk about that. Personally wouldn't go beyond a one year deal. 

I'll wait to judge until I see the details. Should be a solid 4th outfielder and abuse that wall in left. 

I'll wait to judge until I see the details. Should be a solid 4th outfielder and abuse that wall in left. 

Yeah I am curious to see how much they spent, I just feel like the one thing the sox are set on is righty hitting outfielders. Do you think a platoon with JBJ is possible? Or maybe a JBJ trade looming? 

Yeah I am curious to see how much they spent, I just feel like the one thing the sox are set on is righty hitting outfielders. Do you think a platoon with JBJ is possible? Or maybe a JBJ trade looming? 

I think it's JBJ insurance. Young isn't an every day starter. I don't think a trade is looming. As for the roster spot, I'm sure they'll figure it out. 

Want Shelby Miller, but not for Severino. Pass

No, no way I would do that.   I think maybe Atlanta said that just to see what would happen, but they really don't want to move him.

Like the move for the Red Sox, thought Chris Young would of turned his Yankee gig into a starting gig, surprised he went to the Sox where he'll probably have a similar role he had here. Red Sox have already stated Hanley Ramirez is their starting 1B, so Red Sox fans, correct me if I'm wrong.. Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr, Rusney Castillo are the starting outfielders? with Young getting most of his at bats vs LHP in place of Bradley. Unless the Sox have an OF prospect knocking on the door, I don't see why this would mean a trade is coming..

Edited by Tyler Durden

Like the move for the Red Sox, thought Chris Young would of turned his Yankee gig into a starting gig, surprised he went to the Sox where he'll probably have a similar role he had here. Red Sox have already stated Hanley Ramirez is their starting 1B, so Red Sox fans, correct me if I'm wrong.. Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr, Rusney Castillo are the starting outfielders? with Young getting most of his at bats vs LHP in place of Bradley. Unless the Sox have an OF prospect knocking on the door, I don't see why this would mean a trade is coming..

It comes down to what David Price does. If Price signs, the Sox hold onto their youth and move on. If he doesn't they trade JBJ for a young pitcher (Mets?) and take the money they saved on Price and throw it at Alex Gordon or someone like that. David Price is going to set the market for a lot of FAs. 

2 years 13 million. That's chump change.

per Pete Abraham 

Red Sox in agreement with David Price. 7 years and $217 million.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Baseball contracts never cease to amaze me.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Wow I was wrong! Thought the Cubbies would get involved and end up with him. Sox got their guy, dombrowski is in love with price. 

That is going to be an AWFUL contract.   Same guy who gave Verlander that fabulous deal.

Edited by chirorob