Why not Petty?

southparkcpa

Havent we learned from starting Sanchez and Geno too early. 

Seems to be forgotten but Petty flashed in preseason and played well, getting better each game. But he needs time and especially needs a full offseason to continue to develop. Next year we can consider him competing for starter depending on how offseason goes.

Not now. Give Geno his last shot.

The Jets gotta do what the Jets gotta do.

If Fitz & Smith can't play, they have to go with Petty or better get someone else quick.

Even though Tebo never looked great, he was never played for a shot at anything.

I say we see what Petty can di. Not like there's much other choice.

If he has to lie to motivate this team.  Yes.  I want him to be a liar.  Again, look how it worked for the Titans (the Jets were once Titans too, ya know).

BB is a cheater and everyone says he the bestest.  What's the difference?  Lying isnt worse than cheating or at least in my distorted mind it isnt. 

I rather prefer Geno so that he can give a good audition to this new regime. I like Petty and I believe if he is molded correctly. he can be a great QB for us down the road but let's roll with Geno if Fitz can't go. 

Fitzpatrick - according to NFL Insiders - will miss 4-6 weeks after surgery on thumb. That's 4-6 losses with Geno in there, but this was a retooling year anyway. No one realistically expected a playoff run and it will definitely NOT happen now. Jets depend too much on fragile guys who do dumb things like not sliding. That's how he got hurt last year also, scrambling out of the pocket and not sliding down to protect himself. For a Hahvahd guy not too smart.

Fitzpatrick - according to NFL Insiders - will miss 4-6 weeks after surgery on thumb. That's 4-6 losses with Geno in there, but this was a retooling year anyway. No one realistically expected a playoff run and it will definitely NOT happen now. Jets depend too much on fragile guys who do dumb things like not sliding. That's how he got hurt last year also, scrambling out of the pocket and not sliding down to protect himself. For a Hahvahd guy not too smart.

Um. Fitz won't probably have surgery until the off-season. Right now he is day to day. Nothing has been said about him actually having the surgery any time soon.

How do you know he's not ready?

How would any of us know anything?

How does the Staff, even, know if a guy is ready?

They don't, don't let anyone fool you.  They can only go on what they see, and with petty, it's very little thus far because he's a rookie inactive #3.

Petty is a greenhorn rookie who lacks the knowledge and experience to run a Pro offense in a real season #1 spot.

I have a moderate amount of faith he can become that guy, but you simply do not go from being vastly unready to ready in one preseason and few practice squad regular season snaps.

I reject wholesale the idea that petty is ready, because it was obvious in preseason he wasn't even close to ready.  He showed potential vs NFL #3's and Future Meat Cutters.  Potential is not being ready to start in the NFL.

The kid needs time to season, to watch, to learn, to be taught by Vets whats what, to learn the intricacies of a Pro offense.

Rushing him does what?  save our season.

**** sake, the stink of desperation among Jets Fandom today is horrid.  Petty will not "save" 2015 any more then Glennon or anyone else at this point.

You're setting yourself up for avoidable hearbreak if you think otherwise.

They don't, don't let anyone fool you.  They can only go on what they see, and with petty, it's very little thus far because he's a rookie inactive #3.

Petty is a greenhorn rookie who lacks the knowledge and experience to run a Pro offense in a real season #1 spot.

I have a moderate amount of faith he can become that guy, but you simply do not go from being vastly unready to ready in one preseason and few practice squad regular season snaps.

I reject wholesale the idea that petty is ready, because it was obvious in preseason he wasn't even close to ready.  He showed potential vs NFL #3's and Future Meat Cutters.  Potential is not being ready to start in the NFL.

The kid needs time to season, to watch, to learn, to be taught by Vets whats what, to learn the intricacies of a Pro offense.

**** sake, the stink of desperation among Jets Fandom today is horrid.  Petty will not "save" 2015 any more then Glennon or anyone else at this point.

every rookie lacks the experience . None of them are a sure bet no matter how highly touted. This is the perfect time for Petty to play a game or two not in hopes he lights up the world but for him to get some idea on what the NFL game is like so he can apply that to his learning of the game and the system. Obviously he's not going to make a fool of himself because we didn't see any of that in the pre season. There is also the possibility of a pleasant surprise . This wont be a throwing him to the wolves scenario like having the weight of the team on his shoulders from day one like we did with Sanchez and Idiot Geno both of whom did not have the mental capacity to play the position effectively without making bone headed plays. The key here is does Petty have that mental capacity ? We will never know until he plays in live game action. Red shirting it in practice tells you nothing unfortunately

The book on Petty is that he is not ready and won't be for a year or two, if ever. So give Geno his last chance, with a mostly solid defense and some good receivers. He'll probably still be Geno and then we'll reassess in the off-season.

Did you watch yesterdays game? To me, this is exactly why this defense sucks. People telling them they are great, telling them they are ranked #1 or 2 in the league, them listening and thinking they are better than they really are, and believing they can simply show up while opponents cower at the thought of playing against them. Um, wrong. We were 1-7 last year, and who was the 1 against? Yup, the team that raced by us yesterday and left us eating their dust.

The point I'm trying to make is that nobody here knows whether Petty is ready or not, so to definitively state that he is or isn't ready is foolhardy. I don't know, you don't know, and the Jets staff doesn't know. Is it really a stretch to think that Petty - who's been in the playbook since May - couldn't perform better than a Matt Fynn/Brandon Weeden type player, who will have had less than a week to prep? That's a week of no chemistry, knowing what, maybe 30% of the playbook? 

If you want to sign and start Matt Flynn, then I'm all for it. But the idea that Petty can't play for a week or two is silly. It's not like the Jets offensive line is the Texans' from 1997. They'd at least be able to keep him upright and with the weapons we have (Ivory, Marshall, Decker), it's not like the guy wouldn't have a fighter's chance.

Is starting Petty for the next 9 weeks a smart move? No. Does starting him for a week or two give us a better chance than some schmuk off the street? In my opinion, 100% yes.

Did you watch yesterdays game? To me, this is exactly why this defense sucks. People telling them they are great, telling them they are ranked #1 or 2 in the league, them listening and thinking they are better than they really are, and believing they can simply show up while opponents cower at the thought of playing against them. Um, wrong. We were 1-7 last year, and who was the 1 against? Yup, the team that raced by us yesterday and left us eating their dust.

Yes I watched yesterday's game. I'm almost positive the defense doesn't suck because people tell them they're good. That doesn't seem like a valid argument. 

Knowing he was the only available QB, I don't understand why he just didn't go out of bounds a yard or two before the defender. He already had a great run and the first down. 

Well, uh, that is simple.  You only run out of bounds when you are scrambling around looking for a receiver, and after you run backwards 5 yards before you go out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away.  

Actually we were 1-8 and then beat Pitt that was on a roll with Big Ben lighting it up..

I can only agree with the posters that have said no one knows if Petty can play.   I do know that you guys that are saying you know he is not ready, you don't have a clue.   "I watched him in college and the preseason and he can't play".  Yea, you know anything about the QB position. Give me a break. You ain't got a clue. 

If if the choice is Petty of a guy off the street you play Petty.  

The truth is if Fitz and Geno can't go Petty maybe next on deck!!!

Check this out:

http://nypost.com/2015/11/02/bryce-petty-among-number-of-jets-starting-qb-possibilities/

"Petty was the team’s fourth-round pick this spring. He had some good moments during the preseason, but is considered a year away from being able to play as he learns an NFL-style offense. He has not played at all in the regular season, but was the backup to Fitzpatrick for the first two games while Smith was out with a broken jaw.

Bowles said Petty will take snaps with the first team this week to prepare him.

“I have confidence in Bryce,” Bowles said. “Obviously, he doesn’t know what Ryan knows. He doesn’t know what Geno knows. But he knows a good portion of our offense. He can function and go in there and play a game.”

So what we all may be saying could be moot.. Petty maybe next man on deck!!!!

Archived