The hidden points

Armyjet

When the Jets were competitive within the last 15 years there was always one staple that helped lead to points.  The punt return / kick return game.  Now I know the kick return game has largely been marginalized by the NFL rules but thinking back to the days of leon washington, justin miller, brad smith, santana moss returning kicks and giving us either great field position or ST's TD's is something that really hurts this teams ability to get cheap points and turn the tides of a game.  With an average offense it is pretty important to have a solid if not great ST unit and since Mike Westhoff left it has been awful.  The problem is I cant think of one person on the roster who is capable of being a good PR/KR.  Is there one?

In yesterday's game, we didn't force an Oakland punt until midway through the 4th quarter.

Hard to say a punt returner would have made a jot of difference.

not having Zac Stacy stumbling out to the 15 yard line every time he returns the ball would've though

not having Zac Stacy stumbling out to the 15 yard line every time he returns the ball would've though

Agreed - most of the time I just wanted him to take the touchback, at least that guarantees (a) 20 yards and (b) no risk of a turnover

However, given that Oakland's first three drives went 70+ yards and ended in TD's, I don't really see that field position was that much of a factor. Terrible defense was what lost the game yesterday.

as you mentioned KRs have been affected by the rules.  Kerley is averaging 8.6, in our last few playoff years:

2004: 7.6

2006: 8.4

2009: 9.1

2010: 9.4

we haven't had a  big time PR game since Santana Moss(before he became a key contributor as a WR)

Agreed - most of the time I just wanted him to take the touchback, at least that guarantees (a) 20 yards and (b) no risk of a turnover

However, given that Oakland's first three drives went 70+ yards and ended in TD's, I don't really see that field position was that much of a factor. Terrible defense was what lost the game yesterday.

I totally agree, our defense was porous yesterday and even a stellar ST's day might not win the game.  But literally having zero faith and excitement when the team is receiving a kick or punt return is pretty bad.  If our offense had a short field once in a while it would make this team a whole lot more dangerous.  The way I see it were going into most games conceding 1/3 of the phases of football.  ST's matter.

I totally agree, our defense was porous yesterday and even a stellar ST's day might not win the game.  But literally having zero faith and excitement when the team is receiving a kick or punt return is pretty bad.  If our offense had a short field once in a while it would make this team a whole lot more dangerous.  The way I see it were going into most games conceding 1/3 of the phases of football.  ST's matter.

As long as they dont fumble the ball, I don't care.

Archived