Todd Bowles says Jets had some 'loafs' on defense

Jetfan13

Agreed with the horrible lack of holding calls - particulary in the NE game which was just disgusting. However I don't accept it as a given that our personnel are so incapable of getting to the QB simply because we aren't getting to them under Bowles. Just because he's not getting it out of the defense doesn't therefore mean the defense wouldn't otherwise be capable. While blitzing less, we were sacking the QB 3x a game just last season without the current trio of legitimate, starting CBs to aid in coverage sacks (and without another new "best player in the draft" toy for the DL). 

For all my past (justified) past criticism of Harris and his lack of speed, he's usually been a pretty decent pass rusher when blitzing, and he definitely looks faster this year than he has in years. Davis stinks, but speed isn't his problem. He's plenty fast. Coples also isn't a sloth; he was a sub-4.7 40 guy back when he was north of 280 lbs; he should only be faster now, playing at 15-20 lbs lighter. He's having a terrible season and/or Bowles just wants him off the field. Reilly also can move enough to be an effective situational pass rusher. Further, they have better inside penetrators than most to boot. The lack of speed excuse is just that. 

Some disgusting non-calls aside, there isn't some new league mandate to allow holding, that suddenly started this season.

Disagree, holding on the inside has never been this bad before. It is IMPOSSIBLE to go 4 games with Mo, Shel (3 games) Williams, Snacks and have 1 holding call vs our line. Even the 1 call on the Pats was when we got Brady moving so the holds are more out in the open & obvious. Inside the Oline just grabs a hold & hangs on until the ball is gone. Joe Klecko would be Devito in this new NFL.

Disagree, holding on the inside has never been this bad before. It is IMPOSSIBLE to go 4 games with Mo, Shel (3 games) Williams, Snacks and have 1 holding call vs our line. Even the 1 call on the Pats was when we got Brady moving so the holds are more out in the open & obvious. Inside the Oline just grabs a hold & hangs on until the ball is gone. Joe Klecko would be Devito in this new NFL.

Every season I hear that. Every year I hear "this is the worst ______ I've ever seen" for one thing or another.  Among our opponents, it was really only SO pronounced in the one Patriots game. Refs miss holding calls here or there plenty throughout all games all season long, but it was only that game where it was more than half of Brady's dropbacks.

Some guys get the benefit of the doubt and some don't. Like Hochuli (allegedly) alluded to in his comment to Cam, more proven guys get more calls their way and vice versa. Like you alluded to yourself, what are the odds there wouldn't be a single roughing the passer penalty if Brady was the recipient of getting tagged in the pocket like Geno was vs Oakland?

I watched that Oakland game and the reason they didn't get to Carr was not simply because of holding. An individual exception here or there notwithstanding, our guys just got blocked. It was nothing like the NE game.

Why didn't the interviewer ask Bowles about how his high end defense got the crap kicked out of them by some good old fashion run blocking?

That was the initial issue that gave a lot of those guys enough steam to become open field missed tackles.

The whiffs by known pussies like Cromartie weren't any surprise.    

Archived