Could Jets trade for Matt Stafford in the offseason?

Villain The Foe

I was on NFL.com and noticed that the Lions fired their GM Martin Mayhew and President Tom Lewand this week. This more than likely means that the coach will be fired as well at the end of th season and the new GM will bring in his own coaching staff. It looks like the Lions are on their way to having a top 3/top 5 pick in the draft given their 1 win on the season. Tennessee also has 1 win but they're not going to draft a QB given Mariota. 

This draft will have Connor Cook, Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch all expected at this point in time to be top 5/top 10 draft picks. The Lions have an opportunity to have the first crack at a QB even if they dont hold the #1 pick in the draft (if Tennessee holds the 1st pick). And if the Lions get on a winning streak late in the season they may end up with a better record than the 49er's who also need a QB. Either way by the looks of it the Lions will have a choice of the top 3 QB's in next years draft. 

The Jets will be cutting Cro next year freeing up cash. D'Brick will not be making 14/15 million a year for the Jets next year. He will either restructure or be let go. Point being here is that the Jets will again have some spending cash this offseason. What do you guys think of possibly trading for Matt Stafford if the Lions new front office/coaching staff decides to go in a new direction at QB? 

I dont know much about Matt Stafford from the standpoint of watching him, I only know his stats and a few highlights here and there so I cant really comment on the guy's ability with confidence, so Im not saying that we should/shouldnt try to trade. I would like to know you guys opinion, especially the opinion from people who've watched a good amount of his games. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to say so far. Wisdom or feasibility of the move aside, I would agree that fitting him under the cap isn't the issue. Keep in mind Fitzpatrick is a FA as well and it's unlikely we'd be able to re-sign him for the $3M he's costing this season. The real cost would be the trade compensation. 

Hard to say so far. Wisdom or feasibility of the move aside, I would agree that fitting him under the cap isn't the issue. Keep in mind Fitzpatrick is a FA as well and it's unlikely we'd be able to re-sign him for the $3M he's costing this season. The real cost would be the trade compensation. 

No worries.  We can trade Geno and the value we receive in return will make us whole.

In the end teams are so desperate for QB's in this league that that chances are DET is going to keep him. I mean, where's the real sure upgrade coming from? If they draft a guy they could go into camp with both and maybe let the rookie sit for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A top 10 QB still in his 20s - yes, we make that deal and allowPetty to sit for two more years.

Matthew Stafford is not a top ten QB. He's actually fairly overrated and the asking price would probably be prohibitive. If you want a QB that can hold the Jets over until Petty, he's already on the roster and his name is Fitzmagic.

A top 10 QB still in his 20s - yes, we make that deal and allowPetty to sit for two more years.

he's not a top 10 QB and never has been despite what his #s say, he's been in a great situation offensively almost since day 1 and cannot get it done.

w/ that said I'd take a chance on him but NOT if the compensation was too high.  I heard 2 1st rounders, that would be insane.  1 1st rounder would be insane but if the price was right I'd take a chance.

DET has turned themselves into a expansion franchise with all of their firings.  Once they

hire a President/GM they'll probably fire Caldwell and start all over again.  It's still hard for me

to think they would get rid of a talented QB and go with a #1 draft pick

Matthew Stafford is not a top ten QB. He's actually fairly overrated and the asking price would probably be prohibitive. If you want a QB that can hold the Jets over until Petty, he's already on the roster and his name is Fitzmagic.

I more or less agree that given the differential cost it's not a given we're worse off re-signing Fitzpanic. Stafford has rare arm strength that is sometimes amazing to watch, but after this many years his upside is still the dreamy NFL combine potential of what might be if he could put it all together. 

We've had endless discussions here about our young QBs' lack of wepponz, and a lot of it is justified, but I sometimes wonder if having the other extreme in Johnson hurt Stafford's growth as a passer. Few can routinely turn terrible prayer passes into gains the way he did - in fact, pretty much no one can - and it may have made Stafford lazy from a decision-making standpoint. 

Like the relative difference between what (some) hot girls and fat girls will & won't do to please their men. One doesn't need to try very hard; the other has to do everything & more. And they get the chances to practice because guys are generally easy and many will go home with a walrus if it's late enough.

I more or less agree that given the differential cost it's not a given we're worse off re-signing Fitzpanic. Stafford has rare arm strength that is sometimes amazing to watch, but after this many years his upside is still the dreamy NFL combine potential of what might be if he could put it all together. 

We've had endless discussions here about our young QBs' lack of wepponz, and a lot of it is justified, but I sometimes wonder if having the other extreme in Johnson hurt Stafford's growth as a passer. Few can routinely turn terrible prayer passes into gains the way he did - in fact, pretty much no one can - and it may have made Stafford lazy from a decision-making standpoint. 

Like the relative difference between what (some) hot girls and fat girls will & won't do to please their men. One doesn't need to try very hard; the other has to do everything & more. And they get the chances to practice because guys are generally easy and many will go home with a walrus if it's late enough.

So what are you saying here, roll Stafford in the sand and then look for the wet spot?

I dont really follow the Lions.  Can someone explain to me what happened?  They won 11 games and made the playoffs last year with basically the same team.  I know they're down Suh but they replaced him with Ngata and Suh isnt the difference just look at Miami.  So wtf happened?

I'd take Stafford in a heartbeat.  This is a guy who's thrown for over 5k and 41 TD's in a single season.  That's like 4 years worth of production for Jets QB's.  

I dont really follow the Lions.  Can someone explain to me what happened?  They won 11 games and made the playoffs last year with basically the same team.  I know they're down Suh but they replaced him with Ngata and Suh isnt the difference just look at Miami.  So wtf happened?

I'd take Stafford in a heartbeat.  This is a guy who's thrown for over 5k and 41 TD's in a single season.  That's like 4 years worth of production for Jets QB's.  

And I'm sure you would love the 22 million he's due in 2016 as much as the Lions would love the cap hit.. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford/

And I'm sure you would love the 22 million he's due in 2016 as much as the Lions would love the cap hit.. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford/

Franchise QB's arent cheap. If you think you have one in Stafford, who cares what he costs?  It's not my money and you're nothing going nowhere without one. 

In the end teams are so desperate for QB's in this league that that chances are DET is going to keep him. I mean, where's the real sure upgrade coming from? If they draft a guy they could go into camp with both and maybe let the rookie sit for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if they draft a QB in the draft and they get really lucky, lucky beyond belief they may get a guy almost as good as Stafford.

No. Can't afford him and no reason to want to afford him. He has never been a great QB and looking at the quality of receivers he has this year there is very little excuse for his terrible performance. Can't sell the farm to buy another team's trash.

trash? lol the jets haven't come close to sniffing that kind of trash for ages

No. Can't afford him and no reason to want to afford him. He has never been a great QB and looking at the quality of receivers he has this year there is very little excuse for his terrible performance. Can't sell the farm to buy another team's trash.

Great QB's are usually not traded away. No one would be looking at the trade market for a great QB. I see your point though. 

Two Matt Stafford threads? 

This one at least has a non-mysterious thread title. 

"Stafford". Yeah, what about him? He sucks? He's gonna turn it around? Got injured? Is gay? Is guilty of Deflategate? Died in a car crash? Most of those thoughts Coke to mind when u see a thread titled with just the players name. 

This one at least has a non-mysterious thread title. 

"Stafford". Yeah, what about him? He sucks? He's gonna turn it around? Got injured? Is gay? Is guilty of Deflategate? Died in a car crash? Most of those thoughts Coke to mind when u see a thread titled with just the players name. 

I believe that there should be some mystery in life.

Just pay Sam Bradford, no compensation needed.

I've been thinking about this too, especially with Fitz as a free agent....but I think from a comfort zone, they're going to stick with Fitz, even if just as an invaluable #2.

i assume Fitz and Petty will be on next year's roster.

the question for me comes down to: do you want Bradford as you final QB on the roster, and likely #1, or do we draft one of next year's QBs to compete with petty long term for the #1 spot?

Archived