Could Jets trade for Matt Stafford in the offseason?

Villain The Foe

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can say the same thing about Andrew Luck if thats the case, in which statistically Matt Stafford is having a better year up to this point than Luck. 

Yet know one will say that Luck sucks. 

do you reall think luck sucks?  Does your eyes, knowledge of his background and work ethic point to luck really sucks, or is he playing hurt with a piss poor offensive line?

As for stafford, when he's known for more tHan being an alcoholic partier, dating an alcoholic wife with a bottle of vodka in every instagram photo, wake me up...

do you reall think luck sucks?  Does your eyes, knowledge of his background and work ethic point to luck really sucks, or is he playing hurt with a piss poor offensive line?

As for stafford, when he's known for more tHan being an alcoholic partier, dating an alcoholic wife with a bottle of vodka in every instagram photo, wake me up...

What my eyes show me is that Luck isnt as good, or should I say great, as the hype surrounding him. The man gets excuses for everything, which is another thing I see. Im not sure if that is in an effort to actually defend "him" or people defending their overhyping of him. 

Either way, he's not as great as you hear all the time. Andrew Luck is a good QB, but the hype-train on that guy.....seriously. 

What my eyes show me is that Luck isnt as good, or should I say great, as the hype surrounding him. The man gets excuses for everything, which is another thing I see. Im not sure if that is in an effort to actually defend "him" or people defending their overhyping of him. 

Either way, he's not as great as you hear all the time. Andrew Luck is a good QB, but the hype-train on that guy.....seriously. 

Andrew Luck should never have been starting and playing in the postseason. He should have started his first game in 2019, then he'd be the perfectly ready like a brisket of beef coming out of your grandma's oven. Now he's all tough and chewy. He should have been braised.

Andrew Luck should never have been starting and playing in the postseason. He should have started his first game in 2019, then he'd be the perfectly ready like a brisket of beef coming out of your grandma's oven. Now he's all tough and chewy. He should have been braised.

Not sure if you're being funny but either way you have a point. The only reason why the guy plays in the postseason is because he plays in the AFC north, aka "the worst division in football since Luck's been in the league". 

I looked it up before and if I remember Luck has like 2 total losses in his division for his career and hasnt lost a division game in like 2 years. He's had two good games in the postseason, 1 to the Bengals (go figure) and the other against the Chiefs, which I should say he only had a good half because the Chiefs were destroying that team and literally stopped playing and lost the game. Every other playoff game Luck hasnt reflected the hype he seems to garner every year. 

At this point he's literally Matt Stafford just with a hype train behind him. Numbers dont lie, the man throws INT's like they're going out of style. Stafford does it he sucks, Luck does it the excuse is he has no Oline or running game. I dont recall the Lions having an running game or an Oline worth noting. 

The Lions were ranked to have the worst Oline in the league most of the season and just up'd it a notch. This came out 2 days ago from PFF yet you dont hear a soul talking about Matt Staffords Oline, probably because his last name isnt "Luck". 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/04/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-9/

While you're at, look at where the Colts are ranked. Andrew Luck is an extremely overhyped good QB. 

Not sure if you're being funny but either way you have a point. The only reason why the guy plays in the postseason is because he plays in the AFC north, aka "the worst division in football since Luck's been in the league". 

I looked it up before and if I remember Luck has like 2 total losses in his division for his career and hasnt lost a division game in like 2 years. He's had two good games in the postseason, 1 to the Bengals (go figure) and the other against the Chiefs, which I should say he only had a good half because the Chiefs were destroying that team and literally stopped playing and lost the game. Every other playoff game Luck hasnt reflected the hype he seems to garner every year. 

At this point he's literally Matt Stafford just with a hype train behind him. Numbers dont lie, the man throws INT's like they're going out of style. Stafford does it he sucks, Luck does it the excuse is he has no Oline or running game. I dont recall the Lions having an running game or an Oline worth noting. 

The Lions were ranked to have the worst Oline in the league most of the season and just up'd it a notch. This came out 2 days ago from PFF yet you dont hear a soul talking about Matt Staffords Oline, probably because his last name isnt "Luck". 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/04/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-9/

While you're at, look at where the Colts are ranked. Andrew Luck is an extremely overhyped good QB. 

:)

Lets see where we are in this debate in 2 years.  This is pretty funny though.  he's an INT machine is he?

Peyton Manning through his first 54 NFL starts: 98 TDs and 67 INTs

Andrew Luck through his first 54 career starts: 99 TDs and 55 INTs

Matthew Stafford through his first 54 career starts: 104 TDs and 61 INTs

Yeah, Luck is the INT machine in this group... good analysis...

Lets see where we are in this debate in 2 years.  This is pretty funny though.  he's an INT machine is he?

And Luck has played 20 of those 54 games against the outstanding defenses of Texans, Jags and Titans. In other words, he was lucky enough to have the opportunity to pad his stats. I agree with the other poster calling him an "overly hyped good QB".

And Luck has played 20 of those 54 games against the outstanding defenses of Texans, Jags and Titans. In other words, he was lucky enough to have the opportunity to pad his stats. I agree with the other poster calling him an "overly hyped good QB".

Did everyone on this board forget we're jets fans?  Our best QB the last 10 years is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Enough said.  I think it's safe to stop pissing on Andrew Luck when he'd be the #1 QB this team ever had already just based on what he's already accomplished...just saying...

Dont twist my words. I never said that he was an INT machine of the "group" I said he throws INT's like they're going out of style, which is a fact. Luck is projected to throw 32 INT's this year, and while Stafford isnt too far off, my actual point here was that you'll hear the "he sucks" when its Stafford, yet you get the usual "twisting of words" and excuses when it comes to Luck. 

So Luck throws 6 less INT's in his first 54 games and you somehow call that a victory? Peyton Manning is considered one of the greatest of all time Yet Stafford has thrown 6 more TD's in his first 54 games and 5 more than Luck, should I now say "lets debate in 2 years because Stafford is going to be a legend because he's the TD machine of the group"? 

Good analysis.

lol. exactly. 

how much better was the division when Manning played in it?

do you think the rest of the NFL universe outside the AFC east fans feel Brady has had any struggles Navigating easily through the bills, jets, and Miami?

i would say most fans feel the pats have a consistent walk to a playoff bye with little resistance...

luck is playing with a line that is grading out far higher than Detroit OL. #11 vs. #31 PFF

We can say the same thing about Andrew Luck if thats the case, in which statistically Matt Stafford is having a better year up to this point than Luck. 

Yet know one will say that Luck sucks. 

I don't quite understand the position you're trying to take here.. I can accept someone making a case for why Stafford is better than nothing (barely, lately) but are you trying to actually talk as though there's some mystery there? Like Stafford's a winner? ...Why do you think his departure from Detroit is even a topic?

There's nothing left under that rock, but an overpaid band-aide for the next team in line.

do you think the rest of the NFL universe outside the AFC east fans feel Brady has had any struggles Navigating easily through the bills, jets, and Miami?

i would say most fans feel the pats have a consistent walk to a playoff bye with little resistance...

I would say most fans outside of the AFC east feel that Brady/Belicheat and the Patriots have cheated in some way or another throughout their careers together as well. 

I don't quite understand the position you're trying to take here.. I can accept someone making a case for why Stafford is better than nothing (barely, lately) but are you trying to actually talk as though there's some mystery there? Like Stafford's a winner? ...Why do you think his departure from Detroit is even a topic?

There's nothing left under that rock, but an overpaid band-aide for the next team in line.

The position that im taking is that both Stafford and Luck have very similar stats. 

Though Stafford has slightly better stats this year, you and I have both heard every excuse possible for Luck's "wayyyyyy below the hypetrain" play and why this guy is struggling. Lucks offense line is to blame, well, why dont we hear that about Stafford then is the position im taking? The Lions have arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL, while the Colts are somewhere around the middle of the pack. Yet with this fact Stafford (the guy with the worst oline but better stats) is considered an overpaid guy with nothing left but Luck is infallible. 

And where did I say or give indication that Stafford is a "winner"? I surely cant find it. I even stated in the topic that I havent watched alot of his games. Im just saying, I've watched more Andrew Luck and Im not really impressed when it comes to all the overhype and MVP talk year after year with this dude. Especially when you compare a guy who supposedly sucks to Andrew Luck and statistically love very similar. 

You are dead wrong about top 10.  Stafford is lazy, as shown by his footwork which has not improved one iota since day 1 in Detroit.  He is also careless, often throwing off his back foot and sidearm when the pocket has NOT broken down resulting in unnecessarily inaccurate throws.   He is also sorely lacking in charisma and leadership as shown by how his teammates interact with him.  They consider him a coworker, not "their" quarterback. Fitz inspires teammates better and generates more respect.

Stafford is a slightly less douchey version of Cutler.  All talent, no heart.

I realize this could be interpreted as obnoxious, but my opinion IS the right one.

Thats about as wrong a description of Stafford as humanly possible.  

And where did I say or give indication that Stafford is a "winner"? I surely cant find it. I even stated in the topic that I havent watched alot of his games. Im just saying, I've watched more Andrew Luck and Im not really impressed when it comes to all the overhype and MVP talk year after year with this dude. Especially when you compare a guy who supposedly sucks to Andrew Luck and statistically love very similar. 

I'm not interested in comparing him to Luck. Numbers may harmonize here and there, but we've watched both QBs play. 

So are you in favor of pursuing Stafford? That's all that this topic is good for exploring. 

I'm not interested in comparing him to Luck. Numbers may harmonize here and there, but we've watched both QBs play. 

So are you in favor of pursuing Stafford? That's all that this topic is good for exploring. 

I havent really seen Stafford play. I've seen Luck and I'm not overly impressed. He has great tools no doubt, but I dont think he's a great QB. But if this topic is only good for exploring Matt without the comparison I can respect that. I only responded to you. 

Did everyone on this board forget we're jets fans?  Our best QB the last 10 years is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Enough said.  I think it's safe to stop pissing on Andrew Luck when he'd be the #1 QB this team ever had already just based on what he's already accomplished...just saying...

Well I guess we can't have a debate about who's the better QB between Manning n Brady either then. 

Luck neing overhyped has nothing to do with Jets QBs. 

Jets Bill and Dolphins have had good defenses in the past. Neither team has had a franchise QB in the last 15 years and most of their cap has been allocated to the D. So no, it hasn't been a walk in the park type deal for 

I more or less agree that given the differential cost it's not a given we're worse off re-signing Fitzpanic. Stafford has rare arm strength that is sometimes amazing to watch, but after this many years his upside is still the dreamy NFL combine potential of what might be if he could put it all together. 

We've had endless discussions here about our young QBs' lack of wepponz, and a lot of it is justified, but I sometimes wonder if having the other extreme in Johnson hurt Stafford's growth as a passer. Few can routinely turn terrible prayer passes into gains the way he did - in fact, pretty much no one can - and it may have made Stafford lazy from a decision-making standpoint. 

Like the relative difference between what (some) hot girls and fat girls will & won't do to please their men. One doesn't need to try very hard; the other has to do everything & more. And they get the chances to practice because guys are generally easy and many will go home with a walrus if it's late enough.

That last paragraph????  From a mod no less.  ;)

Attn: Jet Nut.  My quote failed for some reason.

I've probably only seen him play start to finish about 50 or 60 times more then you have while living in Michigan.... but I'm sure you have a better grasp on Stafford than me. (Eyeroll)

Attn: Jet Nut.  My quote failed for some reason.

I've probably only seen him play start to finish about 50 or 60 times more then you have while living in Michigan.... but I'm sure you have a better grasp on Stafford than me. (Eyeroll)

I don't give a shlt how many times you've seen him.  You've compared him to Cutler and George.  You're out of your mind if you actually believe this.  You also have been saying all season that Pryor sucks, still is a bust and needs to go so.....

I don't give a shlt how many times you've seen him.  You've compared him to Cutler and George.  You're out of your mind if you actually believe this.  You also have been saying all season that Pryor sucks, still is a bust and needs to go so.....

I do compare him to Cutler.  I never mentioned Jeff George. 

As for Pryor, admittedly, he has shown some improvement.  However, he still takes many bad angles, blows coverages,  and still prefers to lower his shoulder while failing to wrap up resulting in missed tackles. Let's not pretend Pryor is Ronnie Lott....  he has a long way to go to be Victor Green.  if he gets there, I will admit I was wrong...especially if Brandin Cooks doesn't pan out.

Archived