Could Jets trade for Matt Stafford in the offseason?

Villain The Foe

I do compare him to Cutler.  I never mentioned Jeff George. 

As for Pryor, admittedly, he has shown some improvement.  However, he still takes many bad angles, blows coverages,  and still prefers to lower his shoulder while failing to wrap up resulting in missed tackles. Let's not pretend Pryor is Ronnie Lott....  he has a long way to go to be Victor Green.  if he gets there, I will admit I was wrong...especially if Brandin Cooks doesn't pan out.

yeah, compare a,second year player to Lott.  Makes as much sense as comparing Stafford to Cutler.  Stevie Wonder wouldn't make that comparison or see the cliche comments you made about Pryor.  

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think when you watch and analyze a quarterback too much, they always stink (except Brady and Rodgers). This is why Roadfan doesn't like Stafford. You will always see boneheaded decisions (OK, Geno makes more of them...), but there are so few elite qb's, and it's such a tough position, dependent on things the qb has no control of (offensive line blocking especially), that they all look bad a lot of the times. I'm no Sanchez fan by any means, but he was getting KILLED out there when he was with us; don't know how many qb's could take the beating he took. Romo is a helluva qb, but people think he's a loser and interception machine... than who IS good, besides Brady and Rodges? Now you guys are saying that Luck is overrated? 

For those blaming Luck's O line for his struggles, check out the article on nfl.com, where they quoted that he's getting something like the fourth longest time to throw by his 'porous' line

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It would be nice to have a guy who could get you up and down the field real quick. Those kinds of guys can throw an INT or two without having you chuck up your lunch.  They also loosen up opposing Ds for your running game---if you have one. I have seen almost nothing of Stafford's career, though.  Just nice to think about those tools

I think when you watch and analyze a quarterback too much, they always stink (except Brady and Rodgers). This is why Roadfan doesn't like Stafford. You will always see boneheaded decisions (OK, Geno makes more of them...), but there are so few elite qb's, and it's such a tough position, dependent on things the qb has no control of (offensive line blocking especially), that they all look bad a lot of the times. I'm no Sanchez fan by any means, but he was getting KILLED out there when he was with us; don't know how many qb's could take the beating he took. Romo is a helluva qb, but people think he's a loser and interception machine... than who IS good, besides Brady and Rodges? Now you guys are saying that Luck is overrated? 

Good post.  Logical and an interesting take.  Besides Brady and Rodg...  I would be content or happy with Romo, Flacco, Rivers, Brees, Newton, Ryan, Luck, Wilson... I am optimistic about Carr and Mariota but their book is only in Chapter one.  BTW, my #3 ranked QB is Roeth who I am a big fan of.

However, I have seen less of some of those guys than Stafford so your point is taken.

All Sanchez needed was a fourth Pro Bowler on the offensive line and he would've been straight. A fifth would have been overkill.

I'm talking about his last year with us, when the protection was abysmal. In his first few seasons, he had great blocking (and our running game was working too)

For those blaming Luck's O line for his struggles, check out the article on nfl.com, where they quoted that he's getting something like the fourth longest time to throw by his 'porous' line

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Precisely. Im not saying that Luck's oline is great, but it surely isnt the worst in the league. Atleast Stafford could make such an excuse and it be legit. 

People do realize Luck has been playing with an injury most of this season, right?

And for all his sucking he's on a pace for 39 or so TDs, 4200 yards and a QB rating of 85?  On a team with holes, a so-so coaching staff at best and hes going to put up numbers that better any QB we've ever had.  With a bad shoulder.

Kind of like that shltty season Stafford is having while getting beat up. 

I wish we had a QB that sucked like these two bottom feeders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000574851/article/stafford-never-bought-into-lions-exoc-joe-lombardi

The future of every coach and player in the Detroit Lions' facility is on notice after owner Martha Firestone Ford cleared out president Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew this week.

That includes the future of quarterback Matthew Stafford.Per Rapoport, the Lions are considering options to replace Stafford and his $17 million salary in 2016 -- $22 million salary cap hit -- especially if they have an early draft pick.NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network's GameDay Morning that the former No. 1 overall pick's future is was very much in doubt even before the recent front office firings and the dismissal of offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi.

Perhaps more interesting to Rapoport's reporting is the notion that the 27-year-old quarterback never invested in Lombardi's offense.

"Stafford never really bought in to offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi," Rapoport said. "He was essentially nursing a hangover from the loss of Scott Linehan, his preferred offensive coordinator. (Stafford and Lombardi) were never on the same page. The hope now is with new offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, that Stafford will get back to what he was doing two years ago."

In Stafford's last three seasons under Linehan -- currently the Dallas Cowboys' offensive coordinator -- the quarterback averaged 4,885 yards passing, but suffered from bouts of turnover troubles, something the new staff was hired to correct.

In a year and a half under Lombardi, Stafford never looked comfortable. While the offensive line has been a problem, the quarterback regressed in how he handles blitzes and his mechanics never improved. He reduced his interceptions in 2014, more so due to the conservative play calling than any substantial improvement from the quarterback.

Rapoport's report makes sense in watching Stafford the past two seasons. The signal-caller has been at his best at the end of games in a hurry-up offense when he was allowed to go back to his gunslinger ways, which is how Linehan coached the quarterback for years.

In the end, the Lions' next general manager will have to decide if a new coordinator can salvage Stafford. It's highly unlikely any franchise would give up a proven quarterback -- the scarcest commodity in sports -- until they have an obvious replacement in the building.

Archived