The Bowles Gameplan

j4jets

It seems like Bowles wants to try to win every game by 3 points in the last drive of the game. Its definitely concerning. I get the injuries, but this has been going on before the injuries, and seems more like the way Bowles wants to play. I love the professionalism he has brought to the team, but I am at least alarmed at the conservative approach he wants to take. Its very hard to win consistently like that, and win big.

You forget, j4,he had a concussion earlier in the year. Might have slowed down his entrance. But it doesn't matter. I proved you wrong

he missed the Indy game and came back the next wk. So no, Mauldin replacing Coples doesn't prove anything. Ivory has run for 84 yards on 55 carries in the last 3 games. He needed a break. If something isn't working, you don't insist on it. Remember Rex Ryan and the Sanchez years? 

Let's see.....  We have a QB that's been on how many teams and doesn't have s strong arm.  We have an aging offensive line.  We have slow LB's who can't cover backs or good TE's.  We have no kick or punt returner.  We actually have two slow WR's.  We have an injury prone RB.   we have a corner that plays 10 yards off the line on 3rd and one and gives up the first down.. Better yet has a 10 yard space and gets burned every game.  

We we have how many wins?  5??  5-3??    I LOVE THE GAME PLAN!!

Statistically, we have had the best QB play since Favre left. Our RB, when healthy, is a top 10 back. Our two "slow WRs" make up the best Jets duo since what, Keyshawn n Chrebet? Cuz Holmes n Edwards certainly weren't as good. They are probably a top 10 duo in the league right now. 

And yes, we have a corner that can't cover on or off the field. That's on our HC who coached him last year but declines to bench him. We do have arguably the best DL in the league that Bowles inherited. The "aging OL" is still a top 10 unit at worst. Our secondary was supposed to be a top 5 in the league with the amount of money spent on it but it's not.

When you spend over $200 mil in an off season while losing no one of value, I expect us to be better and not be ultra conservative with our game plan. Speaking of gameplan, recovering a muffed punt to lick the game wasn't part of the plan. It's called being at the right place at the right time. 

But come on, this is finally a poster who knows less about this team and football than you. You should be happy about this thread.

This poster doesn't look at a statsheet and make an opinion about the team like yourself, so yeah, that's working for me. 

It seems like Bowles wants to try to win every game by 3 points in the last drive of the game. Its definitely concerning. I get the injuries, but this has been going on before the injuries, and seems more like the way Bowles wants to play. I love the professionalism he has brought to the team, but I am at least alarmed at the conservative approach he wants to take. Its very hard to win consistently like that, and win big.

+10

Statistically, we have had the best QB play since Favre left. Our RB, when healthy, is a top 10 back. Our two "slow WRs" make up the best Jets duo since what, Keyshawn n Chrebet? Cuz Holmes n Edwards certainly weren't as good. They are probably a top 10 duo in the league right now. 

And yes, we have a corner that can't cover on or off the field. That's on our HC who coached him last year but declines to bench him. We do have arguably the best DL in the league that Bowles inherited. The "aging OL" is still a top 10 unit at worst. Our secondary was supposed to be a top 5 in the league with the amount of money spent on it but it's not.

When you spend over $200 mil in an off season while losing no one of value, I expect us to be better and not be ultra conservative with our game plan. Speaking of gameplan, recovering a muffed punt to lick the game wasn't part of the plan. It's called being at the right place at the right time. 

So many people love to be coaches every Sunday. Our game plan is to run the ball every week. When they take that away then we have to have Fitz, who is doing a very good job, to throw more than what the game plan wanted. Before the half? We had no kicker and no running game. If We go 3 and out then Jax can get the ball back and they have weapons to move in a minute offense. Not sure why so many people are tripping. For 200 million, and a 5-3 record which includes losses at NE and Oakland, I think we are doing pretty good. It isn't all that pretty but you take a win in the NFL any which way.l it comes.

We are usually never in the right place at the right time. I'm happy that we are getting those breaks that usually go against us.

It just pisses me off that a coach in his first year has to be subjected to such criticism by a fanbase starving to be something that they are not going to get, at least not this year. I really dont know what people want. This is a banged up team with injuries seemingly everywhere and they've already won one more game than last year. This guy talks about money spent. Different sport, but ask the New York Yankees or the Dodgers how their big free agent signings are going.

Money does not equal greatness. 

He talks about Rex Ryan.

Rex Ryan is in Buffalo with, at the moment, A WORSE RECORD THAN WE HAVE.

The plan is working. Ride it until it doesn't work consistently

Not sure what you guys want.  The team still has plenty of holes on offense.  We have a rookie HC without a franchise QB, a weak OL with 2 of the 3 best players out, an ineffective running game, a make shift secondary and having to change the game plan after loosing your FG kicker.  The D got burned on a few plays, but came up big with 3 turnovers (the other was a gift).  Our QB (called terrible by many here) played well with a bum hand.  And, finally, we beat a team last week beat the Bills (who just embarrassed Miami).

We are 5-3.  Be happy :-)

Let's open it up...have a turnover and then criticize the play calling for that too.

Or we can run it three times n punt it for sure. That conservative approach couldn't protect the lead against the Pats in the 4th quarter, but I guess it was the Pats so it's doesn't count. 

But come on, this is finally a poster who knows less about this team and football than you. You should be happy about this thread.

says the most clueless fan from JI, the Hampur and any other site he shins with his presence. Stop following me, stop obsessing.  Someone who knows so little should just read and learn.

Why don't people realize that Bowles is doing a lot, changing the culture and trying to get us to play consist football all the while dealing with injuries to all the offensive skill players, and OL; and folks wonder why the offense might not be effective.

This isn't fantasy football.

Come on Guys!!!!!!!!

Watching the Jets this year is a pleasure compared to the last few years, and I don't think it's  just the talent upgrade. On defense, maybe we're a tad better, but on offense, I see the big difference. Firstly, there seem to be a lot less three and outs, it seems that when we need a completion, we actually get one - I"m just not used to that.  Less penalties all around, very few mistakes, and just a crisper offensive scheme. It's not just Fitz, but our OC knows what he's doing.

I don't think Bowles should be criticized too much for this game, but you mooks have to be fair.  If a prior coach had a team sh*t the bed like that at the end of both halves you guys would never shut up.  Funny thing is, a bunch of it is from the exact same sh*t.  People want to complain about blitzing too much - but it is Cromartie playing off and biting short with poor safety play.  Basically, the same issue since 2011 with a brief break for high school level CBs.  .

I don't kill a coach for being 5-3 with all these injuries.  5-3 ain't bad.

Of course not, and especially when he is a rookie head coach who will have to learn. Overall I am very happy with Bowles, but I don't think you can ignore what looks to be an incredibly conservative approach either. Honestly, in games against the Jags, Redskins, etc., I kind of understand it, but the somewhat concerning thing to me is that was his approach against the Pats too, so its not like he seems to be doing it selectively based on opponent, it seems to just be the way he wants to coach, almost coaching scared. Again, 5-3 with the injuries is NOT something to complain about, but there are things to observe and we will need to see how it plays out.

This coaching staff needs to ask themselves a few questions when it comes to strategy; how do you finish out the first half, are you using the right personnel (Cro vs. Williams, OL back ups, find a back up RB, get the TE's more involved), conservative play calling, run to set up the pass vs. pass to set up the run, when to abandon a game plan (sticking with 28 run attempts at 1.1 a clip), etc.  It's my opinion, a lot of with what is going on is how they're calling the game.  This team is very talented, they shouldnt be letting the Jags hang around when you've forced 4 turnovers.

This coaching staff needs to ask themselves a few questions when it comes to strategy; how do you finish out the first half, are you using the right personnel (Cro vs. Williams, OL back ups, find a back up RB, get the TE's more involved), conservative play calling, run to set up the pass vs. pass to set up the run, when to abandon a game plan (sticking with 28 run attempts at 1.1 a clip), etc.  It's my opinion, a lot of with what is going on is how they're calling the game.  This team is very talented, they shouldnt be letting the Jags hang around when you've forced 4 turnovers.

This is where Bowles will either separate himself and elevate himself from Rex or become just another coach who had potential. Rex was especially loyal to his guys, hopefully Bowles wants to win more than placate veterans egos.

I don't kill a coach for being 5-3 with all these injuries.  5-3 ain't bad.

Browns (2-7): W 10-31
@ Colts (4-5): W 20-7
Eagles (4-4): L 24-17
Dolphins (3-5): W 27-14
Redskins(3-5): W 20-34
@Patriots (8-0): L 23-30
@Raiders (4-4): L 20-34
Jaguars (2-6): W 28-23

The best team we've defeated so far is the Colts, and they've been struggling all year long, save for yesterday. And they are still below .500. Interesting to note that we've defeated all below .500 teams and lost to every team with .500 or above winning percentage. If we don't start defeating .500 and above teams (starting Thursday), we are not going to win more than 9 games, which probably won't be enough to sneak in to the playoffs n play the Broncos (currently #3).

Bills (4-4)
Texans (3-5)
Dolphins (3-5)
Giants (5-4)
Titans (2-6)
Cowboys (2-6)
Pats (8-0)
Bills (4-4)

what kills me is running into run blitzes.  they need to mix it up on first down with screens, roll out passes, and please involve the tight ends more chan.

they are not opening any holes.  Ivory knows how to run.  He also still might be suffering from th hamstring.  He is not busting to the outside at all.

Powell is injured.

Gailey's system uses TEs primarily for blocking. Why would we bring in a catching TE?

Gailey is an idiot for using Kellen with the game on the line. And then we claim "Gailey's system doesn't use TE". Well then the system is bullsh*t. 

We are lucky to have Bowles as our HC.  He is a rookie HC who will grow but already has brought professionalism back to this team.  Isn't it great that today was not the Jets at their best but we won anyway!

I was a huge Bowels supporter and so far he hasn't been quite the coach I thought he would be. He seems to be lacking at the one and only thing Rex excelled at and that is keeping his players motivated. That being said I agree fully that this is the first time he has ever been a head coach and just like the players he will need time to develop and learn (not that most of our fanbase understands that?)

I was a huge Bowels supporter and so far he hasn't been quite the coach I thought he would be. He seems to be lacking at the one and only thing Rex excelled at and that is keeping his players motivated. That being said I agree fully that this is the first time he has ever been a head coach and just like the players he will need time to develop and learn (not that most of our fanbase understands that?)

Good thing our FO understands that and barely spent just $200 mil in the off season. Im so proud to have this gem of a stubborn coach. His team hasn't defeated a single team with a .500 record or above. Let's hope we get to play Miami and Washington every week. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/8/2015 at 5:43 PM, j4jets said:

Following points that have been pretty consistent throughout the season:

1. About 2 minutes till half time, 14-3 lead, 3 time outs left. Lets run it three times and see if we can move the ball more than 3 yards. I don't think I've seen anyone chicken out as much as we have in such situations under Bowles. Ultra conservative to say the least and whats worse is that we already know whats going to happen. Thats called consistency.

2. Fair enough, he wanted to keep the lead intact and not take a chance at #1. But then he puts his D in a position with no safeties up top when the entire stadium knows Jags will take a shot deep sooner than later right after the 3 and out. Disappointing call with 20 seconds to go. The entire momentum shifted towards the Jags there.

3. Whats up with Bowles sticking with the highly ineffective Ivory in recent weeks? There's a reason why we traded for Stacy and there's a reason why we have Bilal Powell. They are not your garbage time RBs. They are there to take over if/when your starter gets injured or is ineffective. 23 rushes including a fumble?? Bowles has been employing the "hope policy" lately. If Ivory laid an egg the last two wks, and ran for 10 yards on 10 carries, you shut him down before the D does. Rookie HC mistake.

4. Same as #3, except now its about Cro. Its time we use him as our primary KR cuz our FO/CS thought it was a great idea to not keep a KR/PR. And Cro should move to the nickel package while receiving safety help. He's garbage at this time. He keeps pulling the "I got hurt, mommy" card all the time. If you're so damn hurt, sit your ass down. Don't be a liability.

5. There are times when you have to abandon the run game. Today was it. You take your chances passing the ball. 3 and outs don't help. You have Brandon Marshall. Keep feeding him. 15+ targets a game for him will get you good results in general. We ignored him today. I understand he was hurt, but he looked pretty healthy to me hustling for the ball today. You don't ignore your playmaker and continue feeding a half legged, ineffective RB 23 times a game.

6. No TE and no effort to bring a catching TE. Very disappointing knowing our TE is only there as a blocker. I'd rather see our TE go 5 catches for 44 yards than one catch for 44 yards.

7. What the hell was up with the D just before the 2 minute warning in the 2nd half? 25 seconds to give up a TD? What vanilla D!

Lots of negatives in this game. They only positive was that Quigley can kick it longer than Nick Folk on kickoffs. Mauldin also showed promise. Calvin Pace may still be our best pass rushing LB.

-----End of rant-----

I see Bowles is pretty consistent with his nonsense. 

Archived