Cam Newton & NFL Network

Smashmouth

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I must admit when I wrote this Thread I stand by my assessment that Cam was not the NFL MVP at the time. Since that time Cam has really turned up his game by a very large amount. I have continued to watch him play and I think he should not be considered for the MVP award with 3 or 4 other players. I'm not crowning him just yet but at this stage he very well might be the front runner. My intension for this thread was not to knock Cam's talent it was simply to point out that at the time he was not the NFL MVP now I think hes very much in the conversation and I think he's leading the pack as well.

Cam Newton

Carson Palmer

Tom Brady

And Ryan Fitzpatrick

Why do I say Fitz ? Because if you look at the Jets Offensive situation for the past 10 + years its been pretty dismal in more ways than one areas we were weak we are now strong. The trade that seems to have made the biggest change is the change at QB and with that change the Jets offense is now in the top of the NFL in many categories including the most Important Red zone efficiency . Call me a homer but he has been the difference. So if he can't be considered for the NFL MVP (which we all know he wont be) he's certainly the Jets MVP running away and that's why I put him here because we are Jets fans. He will probably finish in the 30 + TD category with 2 rushing TD's at this stage (possibly more) and some of the best clutch runs I have seen by a Jets QB ever.  If Cam Newton had Fitz' stats at this stage guess what ? he would still be the guy for MVP by most of the people out there because he's an amazing athlete, has fantastic charisma and he loves the Camera. Also keep in mind with Fitz the Jets were running more of a ball control offense relying a lot on the running game early in the season when they decided to open it up (probably after the new offense started to gel) Fitz has been lighting it up ever since and miraculously the turnovers have dropped as well, why ? because you now have a QB who is not leading a run at all cost offense and he's getting in rhythm early rather than just asking him to turn it on in the 4th quarter or second half.

As I mentioned above I have watched Cam Newton all year and while I think he was a bit over hyped in the beginning of the season he certainly has turned it up. I would like to, however, put some bullsh*t stories to bed. I read how Cam has nothing around him yet when  I watch the games I see they have a very formidable running game which helps with Play action ...of course Cam's running and the need for the defense to employ a spy has a lot to do with this but the facts are Cam's so called terrible receivers are running absolutely wide open all over the field. So I'm going to dismiss that crap because the entire team is playing at another level which is why they are undefeated. Cam just didn't turn this on over night he's still the same QB he was last year but his supporting cast is just damn good.

Carson Palmer has a lot of weapons but other QB's have not been able to run that offense and as soon as he came back they are the best offense in the NFL can't ignore that.

I hate Tom Brady but lets face it the guy is probably in the same discussion as Joe Montana .... I will NEVER put him above Joe but hes right there.

I think the reason you hear so much about him is because there are those in the NFL who feel he can be their next big mega-star that sort of transcends football and they are pushing him

The 2 guys you would probably consider mega stars currently in the NFL are Manning and Brady, both of those guys are close to being on their way out, so the NFL need new guys to be the face of the NFL going forward after those guys leave

It was Luck for a while, but he has been injured this year, so no point in talking him up. Now the 2 guys they seem focused on imo are Cam and OBJ and I feeel they both deserve. Both very talented on the football field and  charismatic off it and are both marketable. Yeah they will do some things that some would consider douchey, but I don't feel it's a big deal and I feel it's more of generational thing. Although OBJ might have hurt his chance with his actions last week. Everybody will forget about that by the end of the Superbowl anyway

I must admit when I wrote this Thread I stand by my assessment that Cam was not the NFL MVP at the time. Since that time Cam has really turned up his game by a very large amount. I have continued to watch him play and I think he should not be considered for the MVP award with 3 or 4 other players. I'm not crowning him just yet but at this stage he very well might be the front runner. My intension for this thread was not to knock Cam's talent it was simply to point out that at the time he was not the NFL MVP now I think hes very much in the conversation and I think he's leading the pack as well.

Cam Newton

Carson Palmer

Tom Brady

And Ryan Fitzpatrick

Why do I say Fitz ? Because if you look at the Jets Offensive situation for the past 10 + years its been pretty dismal in more ways than one areas we were weak we are now strong. The trade that seems to have made the biggest change is the change at QB and with that change the Jets offense is now in the top of the NFL in many categories including the most Important Red zone efficiency . Call me a homer but he has been the difference. So if he can't be considered for the NFL MVP (which we all know he wont be) he's certainly the Jets MVP running away and that's why I put him here because we are Jets fans. He will probably finish in the 30 + TD category with 2 rushing TD's at this stage (possibly more) and some of the best clutch runs I have seen by a Jets QB ever.  If Cam Newton had Fitz' stats at this stage guess what ? he would still be the guy for MVP by most of the people out there because he's an amazing athlete, has fantastic charisma and he loves the Camera. Also keep in mind with Fitz the Jets were running more of a ball control offense relying a lot on the running game early in the season when they decided to open it up (probably after the new offense started to gel) Fitz has been lighting it up ever since and miraculously the turnovers have dropped as well, why ? because you now have a QB who is not leading a run at all cost offense and he's getting in rhythm early rather than just asking him to turn it on in the 4th quarter or second half.

As I mentioned above I have watched Cam Newton all year and while I think he was a bit over hyped in the beginning of the season he certainly has turned it up. I would like to, however, put some bullsh*t stories to bed. I read how Cam has nothing around him yet when  I watch the games I see they have a very formidable running game which helps with Play action ...of course Cam's running and the need for the defense to employ a spy has a lot to do with this but the facts are Cam's so called terrible receivers are running absolutely wide open all over the field. So I'm going to dismiss that crap because the entire team is playing at another level which is why they are undefeated. Cam just didn't turn this on over night he's still the same QB he was last year but his supporting cast is just damn good.

Carson Palmer has a lot of weapons but other QB's have not been able to run that offense and as soon as he came back they are the best offense in the NFL can't ignore that.

I hate Tom Brady but lets face it the guy is probably in the same discussion as Joe Montana .... I will NEVER put him above Joe but hes right there.

yeah man, totes, good save

I think the reason you hear so much about him is because there are those in the NFL who feel he can be their next big mega-star that sort of transcends football and they are pushing him

The 2 guys you would probably consider mega stars currently in the NFL are Manning and Brady, both of those guys are close to being on their way out, so the NFL need new guys to be the face of the NFL going forward after those guys leave

It was Luck for a while, but he has been injured this year, so no point in talking him up. Now the 2 guys they seem focused on imo are Cam and OBJ and I feeel they both deserve. Both very talented on the football field and  charismatic off it and are both marketable. Yeah they will do some things that some would consider douchey, but I don't feel it's a big deal and I feel it's more of generational thing. Although OBJ might have hurt his chance with his actions last week. Everybody will forget about that by the end of the Superbowl anyway

You hear about him so much because his team is 14-0.  He deserves the praise.

Yup, he's a really good QB on an undefeated team. 

Its not hard to figure out, unless you're clueless and don't see that he's a stud QB.

whats shocking is that he got NO LOVE here in Charlotte past 3 years or so.  Cams antics Thursday night 2 years ago in a blowout loss to the Giants helped that but they dont realize how good he is. Top 5?  No but moving in that direction.

They have NO CLUE what its like to have a below average QB.  I LOVE it here in Charlotte, its electric now as well but..

Heck the bank tellers are in Panthers jerseys on Fridays now.

Panther fans are in some ways  "band wagon types". Half were fans of other teams and they converted to the Panthers.

whats shocking is that he got NO LOVE here in Charlotte past 3 years or so.  Cams antics Thursday night 2 years ago in a blowout loss to the Giants helped that but they dont realize how good he is. Top 5?  No but moving in that direction.

They have NO CLUE what its like to have a below average QB.  I LOVE it here in Charlotte, its electric now as well but..

Heck the bank tellers are in Panthers jerseys on Fridays now.

Panther fans are in some ways  "band wagon types". Half were fans of other teams and they converted to the Panthers.

I'm surprised, it's always my experience that places like Charlotte are over the top in their love of team and players, ignore all the warts and are diehards no matter what.  

Youre right, he's close to top 5.  Interesting part is with his athleticism and as a thrower.  He's been both.  Don't get where the shock was in the coverage he rightfully gets

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really getting sick of hearing about this guy. He does make the good play from time to time but he makes a ton of bad plays and his team is winning in spite of the bad.

The NFL network refuses to point out any of the bad. A few weeks ago he had 1 TD and 3 Ints yet they were gushing all over him because he had a rushing TD from I think was the one yard line .

Today I'm watching highlights as he was having a pretty good game against the Packers yet threw what most would consider a completely moronic INT in the 4th quarter with 2 min left on own 30 yard line. When NFL network was describing the Play they Said "The Panthers" threw the Interception. I'm like WTF ? The Panthers ?? Its as if they are instructed not to say anything negative about Cam since they are all up his ass. Another problem with the throw was it was thrown to the sideline ??? Why when trying to move the ball and run out clock would you throw to the sideline ?

I remember a few years back When Sanchez was our QB and the Jets were 9-2 all they could do to bash Sanchez at every turn and it really is the same situation. We knew Sanchez was not the reason for being 9-2. And I think most people understand the Panthers are not undefeated simply because Cam Newton is doing it all by himself. Hes Not

Cam Newton will put his head down and try to run over Defenders.... and ya know what ? That's great as well even though the rest of the world knows its mind bogglingly stupid. Its reported as the great Cam Newton ...Superman ... Have we not seen this before over and over and have we not seen it end well at all. Actually when has it ever ended well ?

Cam Newton has a completion percentage of 53 % he has 14 TD's and 9 Ints and his rating is 81.

Who's he throwing to, Mr. Weaponz?

I'd die to have Cam Newton on this team.  Kid is a beast!  He deserves all the accolades he gets this season.  His offense is horrible and that team is undefeated. 

They've won 12 straight regular season games but I just dont get why people keep talking about them and their undefeated season led by their charismatic uber athletic monster of a man at QB.  Makes no sense. 

Yay!!!  I was on the right side of a necro'd thread!!!!!!!!!

Smash the QB whisperer, not so much. 

Alex Smith would have dropped 70 on the Cardinals, and been classier about it to boot

He would hand the ball to the ref, not some stinky kid in the crowd after hiphop dancing and say, "thank you sir for all your hard work in our game, here is the ball from the TD that our team worked so hard to get, we appreciate you and would like the opportunity to do this again today, god bless you and your loved ones".

I'd like everyone to notice that I neg repped the OP on the day it was posted. 

Smashmouth continues his unblemished record of being wrong about every quarterback. 

oh shut it klecko.... I was taking plenty of beatings when I posted early in the year Fitz would throw 30 TD's I don't see anyone necro'ing that thread.

The fact is early in the year Cam Newton was playing good not great then in the second half of the season he turned it up and played great. The talk early in the year of Cam Winning the MVP was ridiculous not so much at the end and I said as much a few posts above.

Archived