### Jets \ Bills --- The Official Game Thread ###

Maxman

Yeah...I hate playing armchair but whatever happened to play action? But bottom line they couldn't outwit Rex. Guessing game or not they didn't get it done. 

And Kellen Davis needs to be cut pronto.  

I agree...if you're not going to run it..at least lock up the LB's with play action.  Just F-in amazing.

And we got some favorable ref calls in the 2nd half that he couldn't challenge because he used those up as well.

It would have been so deflating for them to blow that game. It would have been perfect.

It would have probably my favorite non playoff (or game to put you in the playoffs) win...in a very long time.

Edited by FidelioJet

What a goofball game.  Sorry but they deserved to lose.  So many stupid mistakes by the players, so many bad coaching decisions,  so many blown opportunities, so many times they needed to make plays and just failed to execute.  If they won this game, it would have been anti-climatic.  Better to have lost this game.  maybe it wakes up this coaching staff because they have been mediocre.  We should be 8-1 with a good coaching staff.  Instead we are a pedestrian 5-4 and have lost any semblance of developing as a team.  This entire team and organization needs to step up.

I think Davis f'd up his route on 4th and goal.  He was supposed to run a fade and you can tell it was Fitz's only progression on that play.

not having a decent TE on the roster is really working out great for us.  

I thought more that Davis got caught up/bumped in traffic and Fitz threw it anyway (or threw it to the spot he would have been in if he was able to run a clean route). Couldn't say for sure now, and I'm in no mood to re-watch it so I'll take your word for it if I'm wrong. What the hell kind of play is that to throw to him anyway -- or to even have him on the field? 

Huh, that's weird. It struck me as a very well drawn-up, highly practiced play. Clearly what a capable and prepared guy would call in a clutch situation, and obviously the player that should be expecting the ball.

decker ran the pick for him.  seriously wtf

I must say, I do not enjoy this particular iteration of the Jets. I like the blue-collar aesthetic and the no-nonsense attitude around the team, but it's so joyless to watch week in and week out. You don't get the sense that there's much to look forward to, either. Devin Smith has shown zero, Bryce Petty can't get on the field, Calvin Pryor and Sheldon are huge a-holes, and there's no young skill player or pass rusher that excites anyone. It's a boring, mediocre team right now which isn't necessarily bad, but it ain't good either. 

What a goofball game.  Sorry but they deserved to lose.  So many stupid mistakes by the players, so many bad coaching decisions,  so many blown opportunities, so many times they needed to make plays and just failed to execute.  If they won this game, it would have been anti-climatic.  Better to have lost this game.  maybe it wakes up this coaching staff because they have been mediocre.  We should be 8-1 with a good coaching staff.  Instead we are a pedestrian 5-4 and have lost any semblance of developing as a team.  This entire team and organization needs to step up.

Sometimes I tell myself things like that. That if he keeps getting lucky despite bad judgment then he'll never attempt to re-evaluate himself and those decisions.

Then I remind myself Bowles has been playing and coaching this game for 40 years and if he doesn't know what to do by now he isn't going to next year either. So I'm not so sure there's a means to an end there. 

I may just be bitter because of another loss that shouldn't have been, but in hindsight (again) if we were going to take a shot on a first time NFL HC that's ok but he shouldn't also have been a first time anywhere head coach (and no, his 3 meaningless/no-pressure games in Miami doesn't count). Like an NFL coordinator with college HC experience or something. And no I don't have anyone in mind because I couldn't name 5 college head coaches right now or last year either, good or bad. 

But this repetition of history of handing a playoff roster to a guy learning on the job is infuriating. 

I must say, I do not enjoy this particular iteration of the Jets. I like the blue-collar aesthetic and the no-nonsense attitude around the team, but it's so joyless to watch week in and week out. You don't get the sense that there's much to look forward to, either. Devin Smith has shown zero, Bryce Petty can't get on the field, Calvin Pryor and Sheldon are huge a-holes, and there's no young skill player or pass rusher that excites anyone. It's a boring, mediocre team right now which isn't necessarily bad, but it ain't good either. 

I accept your apology.

I need someone to explain these two things to me that I just can't seem to understand: 

1.  Why did Devin Smith take that ball out of the end zone ? Did he actually think he was going anywhere ? And who's decision is it to let him return kicks ? 

2.  We get the ball on the 20 and can't score at all....?

Huh, that's weird. It struck me as a very well drawn-up, highly practiced play. Clearly what a capable and prepared guy would call in a clutch situation, and obviously the player that should be expecting the ball.

Gailey said in the post game it worked every time when Wilfred Brimley ran it for him last year in sunshine retirement league.

• Upvote 3

One wonders if all these players are inherently this way or that's just the version we're seeing. 

Sometimes I tell myself things like that. That if he keeps getting lucky despite bad judgment then he'll never attempt to re-evaluate himself and those decisions.

Then I remind myself Bowles has been playing and coaching this game for 40 years and if he doesn't know what to do by now he isn't going to next year either. So I'm not so sure there's a means to an end there. 

I may just be bitter because of another loss that shouldn't have been, but in hindsight (again) if we were going to take a shot on a first time NFL HC that's ok but he shouldn't also have been a first time anywhere head coach (and no, his 3 meaningless/no-pressure games in Miami doesn't count). Like an NFL coordinator with college HC experience or something. And no I don't have anyone in mind because I couldn't name 5 college head coaches right now or last year either, good or bad. 

But this repetition of history of handing a playoff roster to a guy learning on the job is infuriating. 

Keep in mind however, that Woody was directed into hiring Bowles by that brainiac committee's suggestion.  Bowles was one of their top choices.  Who's to say anyone else would have been doing a better job or worse for that matter?  This team has shown signs of elite play but continue to shoot themselves in the foot.  The defense has been stellar and that has to be credited to Bowels and Big Mac.  The offense, on the other hand, has been offensive.  Our OL has terrible depth, special teams SUCK and Gailey is just an enigma.  Of course, Bowles has final responsibility.  This team lacks focus.  It has poor depth throughout the roster and Bowles is learning on the job.  There is promise here BUT these mistakes and taking teams for granted has to stop.     

I need someone to explain these two things to me that I just can't seem to understand: 

1.  Why did Devin Smith take that ball out of the end zone ? Did he actually think he was going anywhere ? And who's decision is it to let him return kicks ? 

2.  We get the ball on the 20 and can't score at all....?

He is a football player who is explosive. He wanted to try. I don't blame him. I blame the special teams coach not coaching him to not bring that kick out. Bowles said that he was the only healthy guy who took reps at returner. 

Nope. We can't.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind however, that Woody was directed into hiring Bowles by that brainiac committee's suggestion.  Bowles was one of their top choices.  Who's to say anyone else would have been doing a better job or worse for that matter?  This team has shown signs of elite play but continue to shoot themselves in the foot.  The defense has been stellar and that has to be credited to Bowels and Big Mac.  The offense, on the other hand, has been offensive.  Our OL has terrible depth, special teams SUCK and Gailey is just an enigma.  Of course, Bowles has final responsibility.  This team lacks focus.  It has poor depth throughout the roster and Bowles is learning on the job.  There is promise here BUT these mistakes and taking teams for granted has to stop.     

I guarantee there are coaches who would be doing worse. Bowles was their 2nd choice, though even their first choice had no more experience. Less, in fact. 

I'm just discouraged by another coach learning on the job, after another GM maxed out the salary cap for him to do so. Also I don't think the defense has been stellar. Their stats are better than they are, and a lot of that is aided by a pretty favorable schedule. We've only played 3 teams with real offenses and they all put up points and yards against us. Luckily one of them - Jacksonville - also has a sieve of a defense themselves and Bortles made some unforced errors. The run defense is what's been stellar, as it should be with all those 1st round DT-body linemen, and bigger linebackers. But the pass defense has been very inconsistent. Even tonight we got lucky. A slightly off pass and mis-timed jump are what kept Revis from surrendering a long TD. They didn't get it, but that was no thanks to the defense. 

The issues with Gailey are problematic also because Bowles doesn't know enough to overrule him. By their own admission, he meets with Gailey on like Monday or Tuesday briefly to go over the gameplan on offense for the upcoming game (and that's most likely Gailey telling Bowles what he wants to do and Bowles saying "ok sounds good"), and then Bowles doesn't touch the offense again until the following week's meeting with Gailey again. It has a familiar feeling.

• Upvote 1

I think Davis f'd up his route on 4th and goal.  He was supposed to run a fade and you can tell it was Fitz's only progression on that play.

not having a decent TE on the roster is really working out great for us.  

My problem is why is Fitz even throwing to Davis and Cumberland in these spots?

I just want us to find a legit QB and move on from the "NFL best Back-up QB," and our 8-8 Fitzmagic some buffoons are so excited about.  

Taylor looked very below average yesterday...but all he did was not sh!t the bed...ie the opposite of our 4 TO team.

We can try to blame this on bowles, but he isn't the idiot that turned the ball over 4 times... 

I just want us to find a legit QB and move on from the "NFL best Back-up QB," and our 8-8 Fitzmagic some buffoons are so excited about.  

Taylor looked very below average yesterday...but all he did was not sh!t the bed...ie the opposite of our 4 TO team.

We can try to blame this on bowles, but he isn't the idiot that turned the ball over 4 times... 

Yep this team needs a real QB, fitzy is ok as a backup, as hardly any team has a good one.  He tries and has passion, just doesnt have the arm

Good morning guys after a bad loss of a very winnable game. 

My thoughts 

The play calling was horrendous it seems we use the same playbook regardless of the offensive coordinators. 

Fitzpatrick was horrible overthrowing, throwing behind WRs and skipping balls off the turf all night. 

The running game stinks Ivory won't last the season he's making it happen we need another RB (any updates on Stacey) 

We need a kick returner field position is so damn important on kicks that can be brought out. 

Rex handed the game the miscue on the punt should have resulted in a TD but the damn play calling again.

I enjoyed the game my seats were great but a loss hurts worse the morning after.