Westhoff On Bowles: Doesn't Adjust Well Mid Game

SoFlaJets

Someone can check the math, but it appears as though the Jets have out scored their opponents 116-63 in the second half. As ever, Westhoff is a doddering old fool who will be forever embittered by never getting a sniff of anything beyond ST coach, which is a trainee job populated by 36 year-olds.

By my tally it's 109-64. Broken down by game, 2nd half scoring looks like this:

Jets     Opponents
Wk1  17        0  (Browns)
Wk2  10        7  (Colts)
Wk3  10        0  (Eagles)
Wk4  7          7  (Dolphins)
Wk6  24        7  (Redskins)
Wk7  13        17 (Patriots)
Wk8  14        13 (Raiders)
Wk9  14        13 (Jaguars)

As you can see, there's a sharp contrast between the first 5 weeks and the last 3, but even then, only the Patriots have managed to outscore us in the 2nd half, and only by a small margin.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets     Opponents

As you can see, there's a sharp contrast between the first 5 weeks and the last 3, but even then, only the Patriots have managed to outscore us in the 2nd half, and only by a small margin.

True, but all of those first 5 opponents sucked balls. And if you have the temperament to get through even 10 words of my post above, I go into some detail. Excruciatingly boring detail.

True, but all of those first 5 opponents sucked balls. And if you have the temperament to get through even 10 words of my post above, I go into some detail. Excruciatingly boring detail.

I did. And I immediately felt post envy.

Me: "Ah, I did a nice little break down of 2nd half scoring with a little chart and all! I feel good! I contributed! I'm important!" :)

*Sperm posts novel*

Me: "Goddammit."

One serious concern-in the 3 losses the Jets fell behind 2 scores. And then kept huddling,took their time getting the play in  ran running plays, didn't call 2 plays on clock stoppages. That is total crap. And for 2 weeks Ivory is clearly hurt, and still they ran him as if it worked and it did not. I HATE plays that get called to "establish the run" or simply to un a play. That night have worked 2 decades ago, now it's really dumb. You have to  score points, and I'm really at a loss hit they were thinking in each of these cases.

Jets     Opponents

Well damn, so his normally weekly gameplanning may be the issue.  Cause based off those numbers, we're fine in 2nd halves.

I think gailey is part of the problem, last week he was running right into run blitzes even with a gimpy RB and a back up guard in the game

**** it, it worked a month ago......

They did throw a few dump offs to Ivory later in the game. But at a loss how if Ridley was active he didn't get some carrees. 

They did throw a few dump offs to Ivory later in the game. But at a loss how if Ridley was active he didn't get some carrees. 

I liked that a lot and hope to see more tonight.  I think this bills team is going to be flying around and very vulnerable to mis-direction and chicanery.  I just want to see gailey start the game better, especially the first drive

Well damn, so his normally weekly gameplanning may be the issue.  Cause based off those numbers, we're fine in 2nd halves.

Yeah, I don't know whether it's his initial gameplan, or the player execution, or what, but something seems to be different in the 2nd half.

One serious concern-in the 3 losses the Jets fell behind 2 scores. And then kept huddling,took their time getting the play in  ran running plays, didn't call 2 plays on clock stoppages. That is total crap. And for 2 weeks Ivory is clearly hurt, and still they ran him as if it worked and it did not. I HATE plays that get called to "establish the run" or simply to un a play. That night have worked 2 decades ago, now it's really dumb. You have to  score points, and I'm really at a loss hit they were thinking in each of these cases.

Yeah, the nonchalant clock management and lack of urgency has really pissed me off. Was not expecting to see any of that this season. Not happy with the stubborn force-feedings to Ivory when the run game isn't working. Look at New England. They couldn't run on us so they pretty much completely gave up on it and simply beat us with the pass. I don't know, maybe Bowles and/or Gailey don't trust Fitz to be able to do that.

I think gailey is part of the problem, last week he was running right into run blitzes even with a gimpy RB and a back up guard in the game

**** it, it worked a month ago......

It's like Schotty all over again.

"Up the middle, they'll never see it coming!"

Yeah, the nonchalant clock management and lack of urgency has really pissed me off. Was not expecting to see any of that this season. Not happy with the stubborn force-feedings to Ivory when the run game isn't working. Look at New England. They couldn't run on us so they pretty much completely gave up on it and simply beat us with the pass. I don't know, maybe Bowles and/or Gailey don't trust Fitz to be able to do that.

imo, the entire offensive philosophy is to work around the gimp arm of Fitzpatrick. I don't think they (Bowles or Gailey) have a great deal of confidence in the offense's ability to get down the field in anything less than 8-10 plays, so there really is no way to open things up, per se. If they get down two scores, they still run the same plays as when they're up one. 

imo, the entire offensive philosophy is to work around the gimp arm of Fitzpatrick. I don't think they (Bowles or Gailey) have a great deal of confidence in the offense's ability to get down the field in anything less than 8-10 plays, so there really is no way to open things up, per se. If they get down two scores, they still run the same plays as when they're up one. 

That's probably true. The big equalizer for us has been Ivory and the run game. When that was going well for us, we were pretty dominant (as much as a Jets team has been dominant in recent years). They probably feel like that's our path to success this season, and even when it starts to fail, they don't think they have a viable back-up plan. If Fitz is forced to sling it, then he'll inevitably begin hemorrhaging turnovers.

I thought he has been hit or miss with adjustments. Did well adjusting to CLE,IND and JAG. didn't do well with the games we lost obviously enough.

I was at the skins game.  His half time adjustments were monster.  We went from down 13-10 at half to up 34-13.

Many of you guys out here are nothing more than self-hating Jets Fans and it is sadl!!!

Here is what Westy said right after the Jets last game concerning the Jets and the coaching staff adjustments!! 

Westy speaks at 150 of the tape and he specifically states the opposite from the quote in question which was made early in the season....

http://web.sny.tv/media/video.jsp?content_id=528685683&topic_id=21533122&c_id=sny

Good Grief!!!

I think he lacks a basic understanding of how the game is played in the AFC East with the never say die or never say we scored enough because the Patriots will try to score TD's up by 35 points with :41 seconds left and the ball on their own 22 yard line. Todd Bowles seems to think that there is some gentleman's game being played out on the turnpikes and it's going to cost this team games if he doesn't wise up. You can NOT sit on a lead just like Herman Edwards had to learn the hard way that playing not to lose is only good for 1 thing: losing.  

The league office had nothing to do with this hire.  Or the last hire or the one before.  Woody hired two highly regard GMs to help hire this GM and HC.

You do sit on leads when you have as many injuries as he had a week ago.  That was it.  Lets not make it a philosophy at this point

I was at the skins game.  His half time adjustments were monster.  We went from down 13-10 at half to up 34-13.

Eagels were shut out in the 2nd half, the new fangled, state of the art 22nd century Eagle offense.  If he could have adjusted Fitz aim we would have won that game

Many of you guys out here are nothing more than self-hating Jets Fans and it is sadl!!!

Good Grief!!!

Your handle is one of the most depressing cartoon characters in cartoon history. Second maybe to Eeyore.

So I'm not going to listen to the outdated 2-dimensional drawing version of a sad loser. You blockhead.

:) 

Whose, Westhoff's candidate? It wasn't his job to choose a head coach for the Jets. in fact he may have even been considered at on point. I would have liked to know who was Woody Johnson's first choice.

The guy he hired and pays? 

He got the info from consultants and Macc but makes the ultimate decision.  I know that kills fans

Your handle is one of the most depressing cartoon characters in cartoon history. Second maybe to Eeyore.

So I'm not going to listen to the outdated 2-dimensional drawing version of a sad loser. You blockhead.

:) 

You see my friend I know defeatism...... And his name is Charlie Brown!!!

And by the way, come out with the family and enjoy the NEW MOVIE... I might add!!!

Archived