Our QB is limited... Best we have, but limited...

aec4

Looking from a different point of view last night, inside the stadium, it became more obvious to me that we have a limited QB.  I'm not suggesting we replace him.  He's the best we have.  However, teams know he is limited and don't really fear the deep ball.  It took teams a few weeks to figure that out, but now sledding is tough for Ivory.  He got off a couple big runs last night, but he had a lot of 0-1 yard gains too, especially on those runs where he'd bang out a couple yards a few weeks ago.  Maybe he's not 100% healthy but I think the lack of fear of the QB is part of it?

What other reason would it be that we kept calling 1-2 yard plays on 3rd and 3?  We don't trust his arm.  We tried a couple deep balls and they weren't close last night (except for the one Marshall dropped).  

Now did Fitzpatrick lose us the game?  No....  I don't think so.  I discount his 2nd pick because it was the end of the game, and the first pick was off Marshall's hands.  The bills really scored in 2 spirts.  They had the FG in the 1st half followed by the fumble/td and in the 3rd they had their TD drive followed by an FG after a 1 play drive fumble.

Until we get a QB, we aren't going to go too far.  I think I'm stating the obvious here.  I know Geno Smith isn't the answer.  I'm not sure if Petty is.  At this point, we have to continue with Fitzpatrick and hopefully we can beat the weaker teams on our schedule and knock off Buffalo to end the season.  

The way I see it, we should beat the Texans, Dolphins and Titans.  That's 8 wins.  We'll probably lose to the Pats.  That's 5 losses.  How we do against the Giants, Cowboys (with Romo back by then) and Bills will determine the season.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was "anti-Fitz" early in the season, looked like the same guy I had seen for years but the last month he has played like a guy I think we can win playoff games with.  He missed some plays last night but played much better than the #s indicate and he actually overthrew Marshall on a deep ball(better to overthrow than underthrow) and then placed a perfect deep ball to Marshall that was dropped.   I have no concerns about our offense at this point, it is all w/ the D and STs.

His first half was really bad Quarterbacking.  Really bad.

He got it together in the 2nd half and started making some plays.  They missed opportunities and Chan Gailey is the worst play caller in the business.  So he also had some stuff working against him.

This was bound to happen.  You cant rely on Ftizpatrick to carry an offense, game in, game out. 

Chan Gailey didn't help him out last night & neither did Marshall. Where was the slant to the single covered receiver? Decker & Marshall are both too big to cover a 3/4 yard slant & most likely you get a PI. He had zero creativity on those HUGE 3rd & 4th down calls? You'd think he learned his lesson with Marshall, throwing to him 3 yards behind the sticks on the 1st failed 4th but he does the SAME SH*T with Decker on the 3rd & 2 at the end of the game! Just f*cking horrible play calling! I know it's easy to second guess but f*ck it! after watching the Super Bowl, on 3rd & 2 knowing it was 4th down territory, I'm saying spread them our & inside handoffs to Ivory. If Buffalo can stop Ivory three times for 2 yards than god bless them. I think the odds of Ivory getting 2 yards running the ball are WAY BETTER than a pass to Decker BEHIND THE LOS, and throwing to a f*cking NOBODY TE on 4th down. God, I can't STAND OCs that get CUTE in big spots. By the way, that series shows you why Brick needs to take a huge pay cut. You can't run behind him! He gets zero push in the run game & he kills you, teams don't even worry about runs coming behind him. That 2nd & 2 was run left & he had nowhere to go.

I was "anti-Fitz" early in the season, looked like the same guy I had seen for years but the last month he has played like a guy I think we can win playoff games with.  He missed some plays last night but played much better than the #s indicate and he actually overthrew Marshall on a deep ball(better to overthrow than underthrow) and then placed a perfect deep ball to Marshall that was dropped.   I have no concerns about our offense at this point, it is all w/ the D and STs.

The D let up 10 points last night.  The other 12 were scored by a fumble return (no XP, so that's 6) and 2 FGs after the offense turned the ball over in FG range...

Fitz is the best Qb we've had since Chad. I don't see Geno making those plays he did to Decker. It's possible but not probable. As a fan I like the guy a lot. He's a very serviceable game manager and even better than that. And his teammates seem to play for him because he's a good competitor.  

The D let up 10 points last night.  The other 12 were scored by a fumble return (no XP, so that's 6) and 2 FGs after the offense turned the ball over in FG range...

yep and when we needed the D most they basically allowed Buffalo to run out the clock.  the D has been struggling in recent weeks, they were better last night but we aren't going anywhere unless they play like they did earlier in the season.

Not really get him work the next 10 days with the starters we've see enough of Fitz.

Geno will get the practice reps with Fitz getting surgery, but make no mistake about it, this season will make or break with Fizt as the starter because he is the best quarterback the Jets have on the roster. Period. Any other discussion is a fool's errand.

yep and when we needed the D most they basically allowed Buffalo to run out the clock.  the D has been struggling in recent weeks, they were better last night but we aren't going anywhere unless they play like they did earlier in the season.

Struggling or dog ass tired from being on the field most of the game. 

Geno will get the practice reps with Fitz getting surgery, but make no mistake about it, this season will make or break with Fizt as the starter because he is the best quarterback the Jets have on the roster. Period. Any other discussion is a fool's errand.

Fitz is not the best QB on the roster 

Fitzpatrick is a "hold the fort" QB. He is the best we have right now, I'm sure long term, Bowles and Mac will address the QB situation.

I agree a 110%.  What is it getting you though?  Not a top 10 pick.  Not that it is a guarantee to get a QB of the future.

He is good enough to keep you relevant, but little else.  If the D plays outstanding, he could pull an upset in the playoffs, but inevitably, he will have a game like last night were he plays a bad half and the Jets are in a hole.

Struggling or dog ass tired from being on the field most of the game. 

I remember the "tired" excuse from the rex D's, they were on the field for 11 mins in the 2nd half to that point.  Our O was on the field longer in the 2nd half.  they had a nice rest at halftime and allowed Buf to go right down the field and score a TD.  I am not buying that excuse.

Seeing Fitz in person last night he sucks really bad he overthrows,under throws,skips balls of the turf. 

Throwing to Davis in the end zone UGHHHHHHHH

In the first half he made a lot of bad throws, it was raining hard, key receiver hurt, against a good team. You must not have watched Geno much when he played.

It's a huge mistake to blame the loss of that game on the defense.  They let up 10 points.  By time that last drive came around, they were on the field a ton.   Also, if they did stop them., do you really think we were going to score?!?    We had the ball on the 13 with a chance to score, got to the 5 on 1st down and couldn't score....  That's ALL you need to know.

It's a huge mistake to blame the loss of that game on the defense.  They let up 10 points.  By time that last drive came around, they were on the field a ton.   Also, if they did stop them., do you really think we were going to score?!?    We had the ball on the 13 with a chance to score, got to the 5 on 1st down and couldn't score....  That's ALL you need to know.

I did not blame the defense.

Fitzpatrick is about exactly the player I thought he was and would be.  His physical shot comings negate any thoughts of great team success but he is smart, tough and the team plays hard for him.  Yet another int last night that the Wr could not just drop but instead had to volleyball into the air.

Fitzpatrick is about exactly the player I thought he was and would be.  His physical shot comings negate any thoughts of great team success but he is smart, tough and the team plays hard for him.  Yet another int last night that the Wr could not just drop but instead had to volleyball into the air.

we got lucky the defender dropped the easy pick 6 on the first pass of the game

When camp opened Smith was the starter barring injury.  Clearly Bowles wanted to see Smith the first 4 weeks of the season.  Injury happened.   I assume Bowles has seen as much of Smith as he wants to in practice, and the locker room.    If there was still any interest in smith, the Jax game was the time to make the change.  Fitz injured, needs surgery would have been real easy to sit Fitz down, and see what smith has without upsetting team chemistry.

They didn't.  They are also going through everything they can to keep Fitz on the field and smith off it.  No, Fitz isn't a very talented QB, but clearly the CS thinks he is by far the Jets best option.  Doesn't bode well for smith's future with the Jets .

I am in the exact same camp. Fitz's ceiling is higher than I thought. He isn't perfect but they have a lot of other problems to fix first.

Archived