S Calvin Pryor could return to Jets' injury-plagued secondary

Gas2No99

S Calvin Pryor could return to Jets' injury-plagued secondary

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets' banged-up secondary is getting healthy.

Safety Calvin Pryor, sidelined three games with a high-ankle sprain, said Monday he expects to play Sunday against the Houston Texans. Cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who missed last Thursday night with a deep thigh bruise, is "doing a lot better than last week," Todd Bowles said Monday.

Maybe, just maybe, the Jets' secondary will be at full strength for the first time in a month.

"I'm sure I'm playing," Pryor said.

Bowles wasn't as confident, saying he wants to evaluate Pryor in practice Wednesday and Thursday before making a decision. The Jets, back from their mini-bye, conducted a light practice on Monday.

They weren't required to submit an official injury report, but defensive end Sheldon Richardson (hamstring) didn't practice. He tweaked his hamstring against the Buffalo Bills, but returned after sitting out a few plays. Wide receivers Brandon Marshall (ankle, toe) and Eric Decker(shoulder) also sat out.

The Jets will play the Texans on nine days rest -- a much-needed break for a team with a growing injury report.

In other news, the team reinstated wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, who served a four-game suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. It stemmed from a domestic-violence incident on Aug. 31, 2014. They have a roster exemption for Enunwa, but he will be activated by the end of the week. They can make room by placing running back Zac Stacy (ankle surgery) on injured reserve.

Would be an absolute welcomed addition, although they're going to need to find snaps for Miles to play, because he's certainly earned them. Would rather see Pryor, Miles and Gilchrist out there on than Davis on certain downs. 

I think it was the cardinals last night had a safety playing middle linebacker vs seattle

Pryor will have a huge impact on this defense

The Jets should easily handle the Texans. If he needs the next week to get healthy he should be given it. Get him back 110%.

Yeah the Jets should have easily handled a few teams, but they didn't

Right now I wouldn't look past any team we have still to play.

Last year, I never would have thought that I'd feel relief after hearing, "Pryor could return to the field." His presence is much needed.

I wonder how he's had such a quick turnaround from last year. Is he simply better because of his experience, or is there another factor? Hmmmmm.

Image result for todd bowles

Pryor was having a Pro Bowl type of season until the injury. The D has not been the same without him.

A Pro Bowl season!?!?  Really?  Nobody on defense showed up in Oakland.  The defense played really well without him against Buffalo.  That is as "soft" as I can be on Pryor, Jet Nut.

Incredible how people can watch the same thing and come to entirely different conclusions.  

The Jets should easily handle the Texans. If he needs the next week to get healthy he should be given it. Get him back 110%.

I agree, how many times do guys come back from high ankle sprains too early & get reinjured. 

A Pro Bowl season!?!?  Really?  Nobody on defense showed up in Oakland.  The defense played really well without him against Buffalo.  That is as "soft" as I can be on Pryor, Jet Nut.

Incredible how people can watch the same thing and come to entirely different conclusions.  

WTF?

Pryor didn't play against Oakland.

Pryor didn't play against Oakland.

I know that.  Read the text from jetdawgg I quoted.  I was disputing that Pryor was "missed."  Pryor wasn't missed versus Buffalo or Oakland.  Ronnie Lott couldn't have helped the Jets defense during that Greek tragedy in Oakland. 

Pryor was not missing tackles from his position like Williams who is a CB did in the Oakland game. IMO that makes a difference. Furthermore, it looked as thought Pryor was getting coached up by Todd Bowles personally. 

Finally you should show respect by using the screen name that I present here whether you agree or disagree with me.

Pryor was not missing tackles from his position like Williams who is a CB did in the Oakland game. IMO that makes a difference. Furthermore, it looked as thought Pryor was getting coached up by Todd Bowles personally. 

Finally you should show respect by using the screen name that I present here whether you agree or disagree with me.

Just a stab in the dark, but he was probably referring to the poster, who is in fact referred to as Jetnut and just accidentally quotes your post. It's an Internet forum man, don't be so uptight. 

Thanks Rex. I'm sure that 9th place ranking scared Brady, Bortles and Carr into only shredding us for 1000 yards instead of 1200. That ranking does keep me warm at night though. 

So in review, I say they haven't been a major issue, you say they've been historically bad giving up yards, I point out they're 9th in the league in passing defense, you concede. Yay!!!

So in review, I say they haven't been a major issue, you say they've been historically bad giving up yards, I point out they're 9th in the league in passing defense, you concede. Yay!!!

Right. So allowing 1000 yards in three games is a minor hiccup. C'mon Hess, watching the Browns has destroyed your ability to mentate properly. You're thinking like a Ryan now. 

Right. So allowing 1000 yards in three games is a minor hiccup. C'on Hess, watching the Browns has destroyed your ability to mentate properly. You're thinking like a Ryan now. 

last in the league in sacks, no pass rush. Brady and Carr are pretty good and yeah they made Bortles look pretty good but on 40 attempts. Taylor had like 150 last week. In today's NFL 300 yards isn't too absurd. Geno almost threw for 300 in his one game back without even taking reps with first team for a year.  Watching the games I just don't see them as the major issue. Offense and lack of pass rush without sending people is where the concern is for me. The Browns time is coming. 2020 is their year.

last in the league in sacks, no pass rush. Brady and Carr are pretty good and yeah they made Bortles look pretty good but on 40 attempts. Taylor had like 150 last week. In today's NFL 300 yards isn't too absurd. Geno almost threw for 300 in his one game back without even taking reps with first team for a year.  Watching the games I just don't see them as the major issue. Offense and lack of pass rush without sending people is where the concern is for me. The Browns time is coming. 2020 is their year.

Agreed, lack of speed off the edge has been an issue for a decade now. I don't see it for the Browns unfortunately, but I think the Raiders, and to a lesser extent, the Jags actually have a bright future. 

Agreed, lack of speed off the edge has been an issue for a decade now. I don't see it for the Browns unfortunately, but I think the Raiders, and to a lesser extent, the Jags actually have a bright future. 

just keep in mind too, I said, wasn't a major concern. Didn't call them the bright spot of the team either. Just that guys like Miles have had some good moments learning on the run, there's a lot of decent depth with a hall of famer back there. I don't think of Pryor as a savior to their recent woes. 

And wait til you see the 2018 draft. You will sh*t. 2020 will not only be their year but will be a decade of Brown. Everything will be Brown. Brown this. And Brown that. 

Archived