Colin Kaepernick to IR, ends his season, likely time with 49ers

Jetman55

Colin Kaepernick to IR, ends his season, likely time with 49ers

Colin KaepernickAP

Colin Kaepernick will not play again this season. And may not ever again play for San Francisco.

The 49ers announced today that Kaepernick has been placed on season-ending injured reserve. That means Blaine Gabbert is the starter the rest of the way, and he’ll be backed up by Dylan Thompson, who was called up from the 49ers’ practice squad.

It’s a stunning end for Kaepernick, who just a couple years ago was widely regarded as not just a franchise quarterback but perhaps a player who could redefine the quarterback position in the NFL. This year he was so ineffective that the 49ers benched him, and now they’ve shut him down for the year.

The injury is to Kaepernick’s non-throwing shoulder and is not believed to be serious enough to prevent him from passing a physical next year. The 49ers are off the hook from having to pay Kaepernick anything beyond this season if they cut him, as long as he’s healthy enough to pass a physical.

One of the major offseason stories next year will be whether the 49ers can find a new franchise quarterback, and whether Kaepernick can find some team that can turn him into a star again.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We talked in another thread about upside. This guy definitely has more upside than any of the guys currently on the team.  That said, his style of play isn't conducive to being successful in today's NFL and I don't think he'd command a locker room like Fitz could. He's more Geno than Fitz. Maybe that's a product of being in San Fran. I'm not sure. Wouldn't hurt to kick the tires. 

I say trade for ASAP!!!

He is the Guy we have been looking for!! 

He is the answer to our QB woes!!

He may suck but he can be coached up!! 

Look he is a difference maker. 

He can handle the big time!  It is just a matter of time before he turns the corner on his career!!

More UPSIDE than Joe Willy!! And on and on it goes

Ok I'm just joking but you all know that those are coming and one came before I could even finish...:) :):)

On the real.. IMO the guy has more upside than Geno and Fitz so he is definitely worth a look..... 

We talked in another thread about upside. This guy definitely has more upside than any of the guys currently on the team.  That said, his style of play isn't conducive to being successful in today's NFL and I don't think he'd command a locker room like Fitz could. He's more Geno than Fitz. Maybe that's a product of being in San Fran. I'm not sure. Wouldn't hurt to kick the tires. 

If Gaily liked what he saw, I agree.  I actually like the way he plays (mobile with a strong arm) for our division based on the weather.  You have to look at 60% career comp 56 TDs and 26 INTs and think what you said, he'd instantly be the most talented QB on the roster.  However, my concern is his mental ability to pick up what our QB needs to do.  My understanding is he struggles to read defenses and progress through reads...that doesn't excite me...

I say trade for ASAP!!!

He is the Guy we have been looking for!! 

He is the answer to our QB woes!!

He may suck but he can be coached up!! 

Look he is a difference maker. 

He can handle the big time!  It is just a matter of time before he turns the corner on his career!!

More UPSIDE than Joe Willy!! And on and on it goes

Ok I'm just joking but you all know that those are coming and one came before I could even finish...:) :):)

On the real.. IMO the guy has more upside than Geno and Fitz so he is definitely worth a look..... 

Rex liked him but maybe he's needs a offensive minded HC not many HC's around that were NFL QB's like Harbaugh was..

Rams - likely new HC

Texans - O'Brien

Clevelend - likely new HC

Jets - Bowles

Bears - Fox

Eagles - Kelly

Most logical fit is Philly with Bradford a free agent, pending who likely replaced Pettine and Fisher....These are my thoughts on the teams that would at least kick the tires.

Rex liked him but maybe he's needs a offensive minded HC not many HC's around that were NFL QB's like Harbaugh was..

My original post was just being silly...

But the key is a guy like Chan took Kordell Stewart and made that guy a passable NFL QB and Kapernick IMO is light years better than Stewart ever was....

Hey if you can get him cheap why not??

I think that you might have to give up at least multiple picks including giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get him...... So I am not sure he is oh so cheap.

I say it might cost that much because the recent swap between the Rams and Eagles included starting QBs in the deal and then either 3rd or 4th rounders and even included on the Eagles side a 2nd rounder in 2016.

That is big and we don't have anyone the caliber of Bradford and Foles going forward with which to swap.......

I think that you might have to give up at least multiple picks including giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get him...... So I am not sure he is oh so cheap.

I say it might be that cost much because the recent swap between the Rams and Eagles included starting QBs in the deal and then either 3rd or 4th rounders and even included on the Eagles side a 2nd rounder in 2016.

That is big and we don't have anyone the caliber of Bradford and Foles going forward with which to swap.......

Hey Geno can take a licking and keep on ticking that must be worth something??LOL

The style of game didn't hurt him until he was forced to play a different style.  No one says Wilson can't run this type of offense.

Theres always the mythical locker conversation, where we imagine what teammates think about QBs we don't like 

I say it might cost that much because the recent swap between the Rams and Eagles included starting QBs in the deal and then either 3rd or 4th rounders and even included on the Eagles side a 2nd rounder in 2016.

Depends on how many teams are interested.  There's no chance they want him and his contract back, they have to move him or cut him.  Could get lucky. 

Rams - likely new HC

Texans - O'Brien

Clevelend - likely new HC

Jets - Bowles

Bears - Fox

Eagles - Kelly

Most logical fit is Philly with Bradford a free agent, pending who likely replaced Pettine and Fisher....These are my thoughts on the teams that would at least kick the tires.

Philly would have to let Bradford go.  I'd jump on Bradford as a FA if this played out. 

Why trade for him? Wait until he's cut.

Theres always the mythical locker conversation, where we imagine what teammates think about QBs we don't like 

I have it on good authority that I believe, that some people believe, that the Jet's players think that Geno applies deodorant like a bitch.

fitz is also injury prone and significantly less talented than bradford

Significantly? No. We're talking about a hold the fort QB. Bradford is probably looking for a multiple year deal for decent money. Bradford is not a QB that you can count on to be your franchise. Neither is Fitz, but at least with Fitz you know because of his age and disposition that he'll be fine with transitioning to a younger QB at some point. Bradford likely gets hurt and forces your hand to the younger guy not on your own terms. And Bradford is not impressive when healthy. At all. 

Significantly? No. We're talking about a hold the fort QB. Bradford is probably looking for a multiple year deal for decent money. Bradford is not a QB that you can count on to be your franchise. Neither is Fitz, but at least with Fitz you know because of his age and disposition that he'll be fine with transitioning to a younger QB at some point. Bradford likely gets hurt and forces your hand to the younger guy not on your own terms. And Bradford is not impressive when healthy. At all. 

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/59518511.jpg

Archived