Start Geno

drdetroit

Cool. Did Fitz ever take a sack instead of throwing the ball away in key situations twice in the same game?

This is the NFL. Get hot at the right time that's all that matter. I'm on the fence on whether they can actually do it, but it's been done before and there is no reason it can't be done now. There's enough talent to get in. The last 6 games will go a long way to seeing what this new coach is made of. 

So when Fitzy does something stupid like not sliding repeatedly, its totally glossed over. Do you think he was all there for our last drive Sunday after getting whacked in the head on his TD run.  But everyone will laud his toughness and smarts when in reality his education has nothing to do with his football IQ. IMO neither of our QB's have a high football intelligence its just that the fanbase hates one so much they overlook the miscues of the other.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets can easily make the playoffs and with either QB, all that has to happen is that the real culprits of the slide, that being receivers dropping the ball and a very disappointment defense have to get their act together.

We will not make or miss the playoffs due to Fitz or Geno it is on the two other areas I just mentioned, especially the massively overrated Defense.

Absolutely agree that the Oline , Wr's , D have been the biggest issues in our losses. Problem is even if those problems are resolved quickly it puts the spotlight back on the 800lb gorilla in the room - Do we truly believe any QB on our roster right now can lead this team to a playoff run. History and the eye test tell me that answer is probably not.

What part of Geno's history says he's going to all of a sudden produce at a higher level than Fitz? He's never done it before and every time he shows a little improvement, he regresses back to being awful. The coaching staff has zero confidence in him, his teammates have no confidence in him, and the majority of the fan base has no confidence in him. I'm not sure why you do.

There is literally nothing to be gained by starting Geno. 

the fact that he cut his INTs down to only 13?  That after he was benched as everyone screamed, he came back and finished the last 5 games with over a 100 QB rating and a great INT to TD ratio.  Came won the praises of the CS, players and media.

but hey, means he can't be decent.  Which all it would take to be better than Fitz.  

No offense, the dumbest thing anyone could say is that there is nothing to be gained by starting Geno.  You may stroke yourself into believing that bit of silliness but on every level it makes sense and if not for a huge turnaround will happen.  They need to know what they have, need to know how hard they should go for Ftizs replacement because there's no chance he starts barring injuries,and what do they have to lose.  On a bad day there's little to no difference based on their pasts.  They both suck up to now.  Fitz has just sucked much longer

Absolutely agree that the Oline , Wr's , D have been the biggest issues in our losses. Problem is even if those problems are resolved quickly it puts the spotlight back on the 800lb gorilla in the room - Do we truly believe any QB on our roster right now can lead this team to a playoff run. History and the eye test tell me that answer is probably not.

Agreed but I felt this before the season started, the Qb who ends up doing anything really good for this team is in all likelihood not on the roster, and even petty is a long shot.  We have what we have, if the D and WR's play up to potential the team should be good enough to squeak in.  We look once again for that QB next year, and the year after if necessary, never stop looking.

This team was built in the offseason to be focused on the running game and defense. Both have gone missing on this 1-4 slide. Have to get better play in the trenches. The offensive line needs to block better and the defensive line needs to generate a pass rush without massive blitzes. Games are being won and lost in those trenches. 

Fitz's #1 responsibility is to not turn the ball over period. Having a QB with limited skills means the offense has to be very conservative  because the team is no threat to score from outside of the red zone. INT's are inexcusable 

Houston has a REALLY good defense and Mangold getting knocked out of the game hurt some.  Lets see what Fitz does vs Miami first 

After 11 seasons in the NFL ,don't we all know what Fitz can and can't do by now. If you want a QB to not lose you a game against inferior competition then Fitz is our guy. History portends that Fitz falters against better teams as the seasons change from fall to winter. On the flipside many here "know" what Geno can do based on a compartively much smaller sample of games. In addition when Geno racked up wins late in season it was written off as meaningless games, yet when Fitz historically won early season games against lower echelon teams no such qualifier was attached. 

After 11 seasons in the NFL ,don't we all know what Fitz can and can't do by now. If you want a QB to not lose you a game against inferior competition then Fitz is our guy. History portends that Fitz falters against better teams as the seasons change from fall to winter. On the flipside many here "know" what Geno can do based on a compartively much smaller sample of games. In addition when Geno racked up wins late in season it was written off as meaningless games, yet when Fitz historically won early season games against lower echelon teams no such qualifier was attached. 

the two are criticized using entire different set of standards.  

My favorite is we up know what Geno will do.  Even while year 2 Geno was an improved Geno in many ways.  Still they know.  But somehow they want to sell us year 11 Fitz will be dramatically different than what he's been over 10 seasons.  Logic at work

Overall Geno did okay against Oakland, he brought us back.  As for expecting something different from a young QB in his third year, are you kidding?  Terry Bradshaw stunk his first two years, then won four Super Bowls.  Jim Plunkett stunk his first two years, then won two Super Bowls.  Joe Flacco stunk his first two years, then won a Super Bowl and is still going.  Got any lists of QBs who stunk their first 10 years and then got better?

What part of Geno's history says he's going to all of a sudden produce at a higher level than Fitz? He's never done it before and every time he shows a little improvement,

I think my post above answered your question posted afterward.  What about the first two years of Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett and Joe Flacco would lead you to believe that they would improve?  Yet they won four, two and one, (so far), Super Bowl respectively.  Oh yeah, you can throw in Drew Brees and Steve Young as well. 

I think my post above answered your question posted afterward.  What about the first two years of Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett and Joe Flacco would lead you to believe that they would improve?  Yet they won four, two and one, (so far), Super Bowl respectively.  Oh yeah, you can throw in Drew Brees and Steve Young as well. 

You have your opinion, I have mine. Bowles is the only one that matters. He's made the decision, let's see how it plays out. 

I'm rooting for Fitz and resigned to the fact he is the Qb the rest of the season.  That said I am concerned he can basically make only 4 throws.

defenses have caught up to what we're doing

They always seem to.  Early in the season I had resigned myself to Fitz being the starter the rest of the season too, but then I realized this is Fitz' act.  Great locker room personality, decent success early in the season, then a bad second half, then the team lets him go.  This has been going on since forever.

Look, Geno is a knucklehead and we all hate him.  Further, we've got a gimpy OL and Geno will probably get killed out there.  None the less, I'd have given him the start this week.  Fitz is not good enough to get us into the playoffs from here with this record and these remaining opponents.  I'd go with Geno to once and for all see what he's got, and to improve our draft position if he hasn't got anything.  

OK, so Bowles is sticking with Fitz, I get it.  But one more loss and it should be Geno time, IMHO. 

I'm rooting for Fitz and resigned to the fact he is the Qb the rest of the season.  That said I am concerned he can basically make only 4 throws.

defenses have caught up to what we're doing

I'm resigned to it too.  There's even a side of me that understands leaving him in at QB.  Geno's past makes him a question, I get and agree with that and Fitz has played well enough that he can't be benched after one bad or horrible game.  

But I don't get the Geno haters constant rant about how bad Geno has been when he's been on a par with their guy and at least gives the hope that he has a upside to him.  

Fitz is in 2015 what he's always been.  A less than mediocre QB who can keep you in games but over an extended period of time will cost you games.   He has limitations which can't be overcome.  He's the perfect backup

I'm resigned to it too.  There's even a side of me that understands leaving him in at QB.  Geno's past makes him a question, I get and agree with that and Fitz has played well enough that he can't be benched after one bad or horrible game.  

But I don't get the Geno haters constant rant about how bad Geno has been when he's been on a par with their guy and at least gives the hope that he has a upside to him.  

Fitz is in 2015 what he's always been.  A less than mediocre QB who can keep you in games but over an extended period of time will cost you games.   He has limitations which can't be overcome.  He's the perfect backup

From a pure football perspective, your right, but most people who "hate" Geno, are looking at leadership, the way the players seem to not like him, and the fact that he does not seem to lift anyone around him. Throw in the fact that he seems to be a smug d!ck, and there have been several off the field issues as well, all of which make most people think he will never be a legit starting QB. If he was liked by his teammates, and had less off the field issues, I think the overwhelming majority of fans would be pulling for him, but I don't think you can ignore the rest of those things and their impact on his ability to be a starting QB. This is not Madden, nor fantasy football. He makes many dumb football mistakes, but I think if that was it, most people would be able to chalk that up to experience, but when combined with everything else, it does not look like a legit starting QB.

From a pure football perspective, your right, but most people who "hate" Geno, are looking at leadership, the way the players seem to not like him, and the fact that he does not seem to lift anyone around him. Throw in the fact that he seems to be a smug d!ck, and there have been several off the field issues as well, all of which make most people think he will never be a legit starting QB. If he was liked by his teammates, and had less off the field issues, I think the overwhelming majority of fans would be pulling for him, but I don't think you can ignore the rest of those things and their impact on his ability to be a starting QB. This is not Madden, nor fantasy football. He makes many dumb football mistakes, but I think if that was it, most people would be able to chalk that up to experience, but when combined with everything else, it does not look like a legit starting QB.

the only problem I have with all of this is we have not one shred of proof that any of this is true.  We assume because Fitz is affable that he's a better leader.  I not saying I know, not saying any of this is wrong.  Just saying people think because one player punched him and added in a whole lot of assumptions afterwards that he couldn't lead this team.  

For all the bullshlt analysis we fans rely on there's one undeniable fact.  If you're winning, if you're contributing and pulling you're weight, you're 90% of the way towards being a team leader.  

the only problem I have with all of this is we have not one shred of proof that any of this is true.  We assume because Fitz is affable that he's a better leader.  I not saying I know, not saying any of this is wrong.  Just saying people think because one player punched him and added in a whole lot of assumptions afterwards that he couldn't lead this team.  

For all the bullshlt analysis we fans rely on there's one undeniable fact.  If you're winning, if you're contributing and pulling you're weight, you're 90% of the way towards being a team leader.  

I completely disagree. We have plenty of proof. We watched him sulk at the draft, miss team meetings, flip off fans, have an incident with IK, which takes at least 2 to tango, and you can listen to how his teammates responded to the IK incident. Those are all shreds of proof, good shreds of proof. When Cutler acts like a douche he can somewhat get away with it because he is far more talented than Geno, but even he wears out his welcomes.

Seems to me a pretty good football man used to say, "Winning isn't everything-it's the only thing".  Geno's off-the-field issues are small potatoes compared to what is going on in the rest of the league.  The airline ended up apologizing to Geno, (after Geno wanted to see the employee's boss, usually a sign of someone trying to be rational), and a guy who was just celebrated on national television on Thanksgiving as an inspiration to us all used to send dick pics. 

We all know we aren't going to win anymore with Fitz.  Put in Geno and let's see what he can do.

I'm rooting for Fitz and understand leaving him in but he is so limited in what he can do and our package on offense is limited.  CB's are cheating on routes in obvious passing situations every friggin game.

I'm rooting for Fitz and understand leaving him in but he is so limited in what he can do and our package on offense is limited.  CB's are cheating on routes in obvious passing situations every friggin game.

Fitz is limited. Of course. He's no more limited than Geno is. You're basically trading out one player for another because of age and perceived ability. And that's all it is. Perception and a dream.

If Fitz was a real leader, he'd definitely have dick pictures leaked online. 

Last night Brett Favre was celebrated on national TV as an inspiring example to us all.  Brett Favre sent dick pics.  Just win, baby.

Sure he did. After his career was already Hall of Fame was cemented. Not in the offseason of a terrible rookie year.

Seems your moral compass is strongly affected by won-loss record.  Geno can't be our QB because of dick pics, but Favre is all right with them.  You can be anti-Geno if you want, but spare us the selective  "moral objections".

Seems your moral compass is strongly affected by won-loss record.  Geno can't be our QB because of dick pics, but Favre is all right with them.  You can be anti-Geno if you want, but spare us the selective  "moral objections".

Where did I say anything about my moral objections? You're reading way too much into my comments. Geno doesn't deserve to be the QB because of his play. He's not a leader because of the dick pics and getting slugged in the face. 

Fitz's #1 responsibility is to not turn the ball over period. Having a QB with limited skills means the offense has to be very conservative  because the team is no threat to score from outside of the red zone. INT's are inexcusable 

You keep saying this, but the stats say otherwise. He is 13th in TD's this year, if his #1 responsibility is not turning the ball over, why the hell is he in the top 10 in the league in TD's?

Again, Fitz is limited, but your arguments are constantly wrong.

Its funny, Russell Wilson's job has been handing the ball off and not throwing interceptions for years now, and Jet fans act like he is the next coming. He has 4 less TD passes than Fitzpatrick does, and did not miss a game due to injury.

Russell Wilson is good, but if he were the Jet QB for the past few years Jet fans would have wanted him on the bench and would be screaming about how much he hurts our offense.

Where did I say anything about my moral objections? You're reading way too much into my comments. Geno doesn't deserve to be the QB because of his play. He's not a leader because of the dick pics and getting slugged in the face. 

If there's no moral dimension, I don't get what dick pics have to do with leadership.  You think the other players on the team are saying to themselves, "I'm not going to block hard for this guy, he sends dick pics over his phone"?

If there's no moral dimension, I don't get what dick pics have to do with leadership.  You think the other players on the team are saying to themselves, "I'm not going to block hard for this guy, he sends dick pics over his phone"?

Maybe you should just take the joke at surface level and stop spelunking. 

I completely disagree. We have plenty of proof. We watched him sulk at the draft, miss team meetings, flip off fans, have an incident with IK, which takes at least 2 to tango, and you can listen to how his teammates responded to the IK incident. Those are all shreds of proof, good shreds of proof. When Cutler acts like a douche he can somewhat get away with it because he is far more talented than Geno, but even he wears out his welcomes.

You imagine that a guy who sulked at the draft proves he isn't a team leader.  Once again, if he leads the team to wins they could,care less about anything you listed.  His teammates responded the same way after IK as they would have if Fitz were punched.  They said it should have been avoided, not that Geno sucks and deserves it.  

We see and hear what we want to see and hear

Archived