The Importance (again) in drafting well

CanadaSteve

This team will not be going anywhere in the next decade unless Maccagnan drafts well over the next five years.

We ALL know the disaster which has been the Jets for decades in drafting, but you can't just keep whiffing on so many draft picks year-in-and-year-out and expect to fill all the positions via high-priced free agents.

Realistically speaking, a player within ten picks of your own is reasonable to think the alternative could have happened.  Imagine if the Jets pick Gronkowski instead of Kyle Wilson? Then Brandon Spikes instead of Vladimir Ducasse.  Geno Atkins went a few picks later than Joe McKnight.  ALL in 2010

If you have Geno Atkins, do you pick Mo then in 2011 with the first pick?  That could have given them the option of drafting Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick.  Clint Boling instead of Kenrick Ellis

Imagine if our lineup, after drafting better even since 2010, would look:

QB-Andy Dalton

RB: Bilal Powell/Le'veon Bell

WR1: Alshon Jeffrey

WR2: Martavis Bryant

WR3: Mohamed Sanu

TE: Rob Gronkowski/Amaro (doubtful though)

OL: Ferguson/Gabe Jackson/Mangold/Clint Bowling/Terron Armstead

DL: Chandler Jones/Geno Atkins/Richardson/MAYBE Leonard Williams

LB'S: David Harris/Brandon Spikes/Mauldin

DB's: Pryor/Tre Boston

Sure, this is being perfect in every round with every pick.  It's obviously idealistic, but lets say you hit on half of those picks.  This cannot be emphasized enough that the future for this team will first off lie in Maccagnan doing his job properly over the next five years.  Leonard Williams, Lorenzo Mauldin look like great picks.  Jarvis Harrison could wind up being one of our guards.  The jury is out on Devin Smith. 

Lets hope the rest of the season shows some promise, and Maccagnan knocks another one out of the park next season in April.

Again this is just showing the importance of drafting well.  It does not take that long to rebuild a franchise for the long haul.  The key is drafting consistently, and always taking the best player you can without over-reaching on a position of need.

Bit harsh to call Devin Smith a bust when his career is barely a few months old.

agree, but the ONE THING, ONE THING HE SUPPOSEDLY COULD DO WAS TRACE AND CATCH THE DEEP BALL. RUN IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND BE ABLE TO CATCH IT. The fact he can't even do that, is really frustrating. He has cost us one game and blew any opportunity to have the fans' trust after those two horrible drops in Houston.

Jets has a history of mucking up the draft. Blair Thomas over Junior Seau, Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp.

The year they drafted Abraham, Ellis, Pennington, Becht and Coles was the exception, yet nothing came out of that great draft.

That's because Pennington, Coles and Becht SUCKED

It's not just drafting, but overall scouting. Draft picks will always be hit or miss. But there are plenty of talented players outside the draft; guys you can find w/o a ton of effort - how often do we see UDFAs coming out of nowhere and making an impression? How do they keep missing those guys?

Seattle loses Marshawn Lynch today, and they replace him with some undrafted rookie. Kid rushes for 200 yards and scores 2 touchdowns. This is why good teams stay good and mediocre teams stay mediocre.

Devin Smith sucks. We could have had Mathieu, Alshon, and Burfict for pretty low cost. I will never let those go.

not sure Rex had a good environment here to help Alshon and his weight issues and Mathieu who was just one big tragic issue be successful.  Some players slip for a reason and need a team with a good support system to get them turned around.    Some players being referenced I'm not sure would have been as successful as a jet...

How many of the players mentioned would have turned out as good if we picked them?

You don't simply draft a player, put him on the field and that's it ... player development is key, and it's something we do pretty badly at, on a consistent basis.

Bit harsh to call Devin Smith a bust when his career is barely a few months old.

Disagree, and here's why.  A rookie who runs solid routes, understands defenses, well rounded with speed but drops a lot of passes I can understand.  Devin Smith runs terrible routes.  In fact he hardly runs routes at all.  If you lined him up with a tree route option and expected him to make the right decision you'd be sorely mistaken.  Smith is one of those players who has immense physical gifts and used them to his advantage against weak competition in college.  His athleticism in the NFL is useless if he has no skill to pair with it, and right now he doesn't.  So he's a one trick pony that can't even catch the ball using his one trick.  I hate to say it but I see a ton of NFL physical talent, but zero NFL skill in this kid. 

yeah but this is overreaction Mondays after a loss. Everyone sucks, including the first year coach  and the rookie GM. Fire and release everyone. 

/s

Watch us go DT again in the draft.

I dont mind as long as it is without a high pick.

Caporoso gets it. The fast start fooled everybody. Once the NFL began to adjust, the rookie head coach has been unable to adjust back, whether it be to injuries or lack of talent.

1 year is not going to do away with 6 years of horrible drafting. Mac's first draft so far has been okay. Mauldin and Williams are keepers.

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/11/initial-reaction-jets-are-not-good/

I dont mind as long as it is without a high pick.

Caporoso gets it. The fast start fooled everybody. Once the NFL began to adjust, the rookie head coach has been unable to adjust back, whether it be to injuries or lack of talent.

1 year is not going to do away with 6 years of horrible drafting.

http://turnonthejets.com/2015/11/initial-reaction-jets-are-not-good/

I agree- the talent here isnt strong. Depth is terrible...but the defensive line love has got to stop. There's only so much impact an interior DL can have on the game- we've maxed out.

I agree- the talent here isnt strong. Depth is terrible...but the defensive line love has got to stop. There's only so much impact an interior DL can have on the game- we've maxed out.

And looking at Houston yesterday has to be very encouraging because Mac helped to build that team.

Plus Wilkerson has to stop with the money asking. Watt showed why he is paid so much yesterday

He can't really look any worse. His hands have to hold onto a football at some point.

I hope he has an Alshon Jeffery bounce back. Though Jeffery didnt have as bad a rookie year as Smith it was looking bleak initially, then he turned it on the following years. I think Smith can do it. The guys I liked alot was Stefon Diggs and Devin Smith, I thought smith had the edge playing against greater competition and not being injured all the time. But Smith is most definitely off to a slow start while Diggs is making a bit of a name for himself out in Minnesota. 

If Smith gets it together he could be a steal, I just think that he's super nervous and is trying to do everything at once trying to impress. He just needs to play his game one play at a time. 

I hope he has an Alshon Jeffery bounce back. Though Jeffery didnt have as bad a rookie year as Smith it was looking bleak initially, then he turned it on the following years. I think Smith can do it. The guys I liked alot was Stefon Diggs and Devin Smith, I thought smith had the edge playing against greater competition and not being injured all the time. But Smith is most definitely off to a slow start while Diggs is making a bit of a name for himself out in Minnesota. 

If Smith gets it together he could be a steal, I just think that he's super nervous and is trying to do everything at once trying to impress. He just needs to play his game one play at a time. 

he's getting open and fitz is looking for him so i'll assume they're working on these deep routes in practice and he's catching them.  smith right now is basically late august in terms of development, finally getting the routes down but the whole thing isn't there.  problem is this actually counts.

Disagree, and here's why.  A rookie who runs solid routes, understands defenses, well rounded with speed but drops a lot of passes I can understand.  Devin Smith runs terrible routes.  In fact he hardly runs routes at all.  If you lined him up with a tree route option and expected him to make the right decision you'd be sorely mistaken.  Smith is one of those players who has immense physical gifts and used them to his advantage against weak competition in college.  His athleticism in the NFL is useless if he has no skill to pair with it, and right now he doesn't.  So he's a one trick pony that can't even catch the ball using his one trick.  I hate to say it but I see a ton of NFL physical talent, but zero NFL skill in this kid. 

well, he spent his whole college career running curl and fade routes, we knew he was a one trick pony coming in. That's not a bad thing either. I wouldn't mind a desean jackson or mike Wallace type player (minus the diva attitude), those guys can hurt defenses. I bet if Palmer was our QB, he would be having a much better season. 

Unfortunately, this offense doesn't have a QB that can utilize him. The drops are a surprise tho, I'd say that was more lapse in concentration. A guy like this really needs more snaps, he is still stuck in training camp mode

he's getting open and fitz is looking for him so i'll assume they're working on these deep routes in practice and he's catching them.  smith right now is basically late august in terms of development, finally getting the routes down but the whole thing isn't there.  problem is this actually counts.

Though Smith isnt really helping the situation, Fitz isnt a great fit for what Smith brings to the offense. Fitz is not an accurate passer. Yes, we've seen Smith drop a pass or not really give the QB a good chance on 50/50 balls, but I've also seen Fitz target Smith and miss him by like 3 or 4 yards yet he was WIDE open. 

Smith needs to step it up, but anything outside of a 7 yard slant route im really not confident in when it comes to Fitz. With all of the crap Geno gets, one thing we can say is that he was one of the better deep ball throwers in the league statistically during portions of his career. 

Though Smith isnt really helping the situation, Fitz isnt a great fit for what Smith brings to the offense. Fitz is not an accurate passer. Yes, we've seen Smith drop a pass or not really give the QB a good chance on 50/50 balls, but I've also seen Fitz target Smith and miss him by like 3 or 4 yards yet he was WIDE open. 

Smith needs to step it up, but anything outside of a 7 yard slant route im really not confident in when it comes to Fitz. With all of the crap Geno gets, one thing we can say is that he was one of the better deep ball throwers in the league statistically during portions of his career. 

even though the deep ball isn't fitz's strength he threw a few nice ones yesterday that smith and marshall messed up.  with marshall this is a year long thing where he's cost the jets dearly.  with smith you're talking about a rookie who's finally starting to get opportunities week 10.  smith's gaffes are more forgivable than marshall's but the result is they lost games they could have won.  fitz isn't a good enough qb where he'll keep throwing the ball in the right spot - these wrs have to catch the balls that hit them in the hands or else the jets are going to lose.

even though the deep ball isn't fitz's strength he threw a few nice ones yesterday that smith and marshall messed up.  with marshall this is a year long thing where he's cost the jets dearly.  with smith you're talking about a rookie who's finally starting to get opportunities week 10.  smith's gaffes are more forgivable than marshall's but the result is they lost games they could have won.  fitz isn't a good enough qb where he'll keep throwing the ball in the right spot - these wrs have to catch the balls that hit them in the hands or else the jets are going to lose.

I agree. 

Nice take! I hope you are right. I am not going to act like I know all that much about him, other than the little I have NOT seen from him this year, and his highlight real. I am hoping its just about having a different quarterback lob him the old pigskin in stride, over his shoulder..or something. 

Archived