Maxman

Quinton Coples Waived

Cheap, easy way to send a message to the team.  He was gonna be a free agent anyway and wasn't playing enough to justify a roster spot.  He'll find a job as a 4-3 backup somewhere, or Rex will pick him up

Edited by jetscrazey
  • Upvote 3

I just always thought his reaction time was really slow. ... strong athlete ... slow recognition

• Upvote 1

Is there anything more to this story, like did something happen?  Even if he doesn't play, isn't he worth keeping around as a backup for the rest of the season, i.e Kerley?

Seems very surprising to waive him now...

Is there anything more to this story, like did something happen?  Even if he doesn't play, isn't he worth keeping around as a backup for the rest of the season, i.e Kerley?

Bowles is attempting to send a message. Coples is an easy guy to scapegoat. He has name value... was a former #1 pick.. But he hasn't been on the field, and wasn't going to be resigned.

If we didn't exercise his option, and he was picked up by someone else for more than the league minimum (which would surely happen) wouldn't we have received a compensatory pick?

Whats the message? "I'm cutting a player that has never done anything and barely plays"   If thats the case then there is no message.

You want to send a message then you bench a Cromartie or some other player that is under performing.

he's never been suspended ... so I don't think it's anything like that

I'm thinking more like complaining about playing time, or late to meetings, or something like that.

• Upvote 1

Kerley returns punts (for better or worse), what does Coples do on special teams?  Nada

Not sure I completely understand this. It was coming in the off-season no matter what The guy had some skill when played in a position he was actually good at. More time for Mauldin though.

next year

That doesn't make sense. You cut him after this season to make room for next season, not with 6 games left this season to make room for next season.

If that's the reason, then I think we just pissed away a compensatory pick.

Cutting him to send a message to others now, or if something happened after the game (that we're not aware of yet), is another - and unrelated - matter.

in the NFL, if you're not gonna start, you need to contribute on special teams, which Coples can't do.  He can't play interior DL anymore because he dropped weight to convert to OLB.  So he's useless to the team.

I blame Rex for this...Square peg round hole, good luck Quinton!

some smart team will pick him up before the days end, all the while getting a good laugh at the jets for trying to make him something he is not. put your weight back on, Quinton, and get back on the d-line where you belong