Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's pretty crazy.  Certainly can't say it's some sort of awful move, considering how little he's done this year, and clearly the new regime was not a fan, but certainly wouldn't expect something like this mid-season.  I'm sure there's a combination of factors involved there, including the recent addition of another DL and the play of Mauldin, but you still wouldn't expect that.  Interesting to see who takes his spot.

If we didn't exercise his option, and he was picked up by someone else for more than the league minimum (which would surely happen) wouldn't we have received a compensatory pick?

I was about to bitch that we should have at least traded him for a 6th or 7th rounder... but if this is true, then there is probably no difference between trading him or getting a comp pick. Maybe the comp pick could end up being more.

I cannot get over how one team can **** up the draft so badly for so long.

Thanks for nothing, Q. 

q's rookie year, playing sparingly on the d-line. he gets 5.5 sacks. mo wilks gets injured and coples fills in. didn't miss a beat. at 265 pounds. rex was retarded for trying to convert coples to olb. the new front office is just as dumb for not seeing him for what he is. a d-lineman. no place to play him? I can buy that, but to cut him outright sounds like a knee jerk reaction for the entire jets team playing like crap. not good

If we didn't exercise his option, and he was picked up by someone else for more than the league minimum (which would surely happen) wouldn't we have received a compensatory pick?

Teams need to exercise the player's 5th year option prior to the start of their 4th year, which the Jets did for Coples this past offseason.  So I'm fairly certain even if not retained for next year, it would still be a matter of cutting Coples, and therefore not eligible for a comp pick.

Stupid use of resources by this team.  He will go to a true 4-3 team and look much better.  They should have held on to him the rest of the year and maybe got a comp pick for him.  One thing I have noticed with bowles/Mag, once you are in the dog house for whatever reason you seem to stay here.

His option had already been exercised this off-season.

Teams need to exercise the player's 5th year option prior to the start of their 4th year, which the Jets did for Coples this past offseason.  So I'm fairly certain even if not retained for next year, it would still be a matter of cutting Coples, and therefore not eligible for a comp pick.

Right, right, now I remember. Then this is fine. If he got injured badly in these last 6 games we'd be stuck with him for $8M or something next season.

Shocking move but it sends a message to the entire team from the new regime, produce or

get cut.  It doesn't matter where he goes or who picks him up yesterday's performance

needed a drastic response

Right, right, now I remember. Then this is fine. If he got injured badly in these last 6 games we'd be stuck with him for $8M or something next season.

If I had to speculate, this is half injury avoidance and half message to the team.  This dude lollygags half the plays he's on the field.  I'm betting something came to a head with him behind the scenes. 

If I had to speculate, this is half injury avoidance and half message to the team.  This dude lollygags half the plays he's on the field.  I'm betting something came to a head with him behind the scenes. 

yea, coples probably said something like " why do you keep playing me at olb? i suck at it. I am a defensive lineman"

Also, like last year, I'd expect the Jets to sign more free agents than they let go, making the whole comp pick thing moot, anyway. 

These type of 'messages' never work.  Cut or get rid of a guy who was already obviously out of favor with the team.

Want to 'send a message'?  Mauldin take starting reps from pace, Taiwan jones gets early week staring reps instead of Harris or Davis, Cromarite is benched in favour of Williams.

Even if go back to some of these guys later in the week make them wear the practice jerseys for a few days.

You people are still going with the square peg round hole excuses?  The guy barely did anything.  His upside is Calvin Pace.  Downside is Gholston.  They weren't going to pay him $7M next year and Mauldin is filing his position pretty capably.  No reason to have him taking up a roster spot.

his 2 stints on the d-line in 4 years produced results. his stint at olb did not. kind of the definition of square peg, round hole,no?

I'm thinking the Jets didn't want to risk a serious injury with him that would potentially guarantee the 5th year option. Lot of work to be done at LB next off-season (not that I feel he was a LB anyway). 

Serious injury? What, a splinter in his ass? You have to play to get hurt. I think.

Also, like last year, I'd expect the Jets to sign more free agents than they let go, making the whole comp pick thing moot, anyway. 

Well, what makes it moot is he's not eligible anyway.

They could still sign free agents that don't count against the formula. Just have to sign other teams' Coples players who were cut rather than having their contract expire on schedule, or options that weren't exercised.

we really couldn't have dealt him to buffalo or someone for a mid to late rounder 2 weeks ago?

They very well could have talked to some teams about it, but consider that every team out there already knew there was no way the Jets would be keeping Coples around next year.  Plus, I doubt any team would see him as worth the 5th year option amount he would be due next year.  So the only way a team would have been willing to make that offer is if they saw worth trading a pick for him, solely to have him as an asset for the stretch run of this year and.... yeah, I don't think so.

The Quinton Coples draft will go down as a pretty weak one, league wide.  These busts, Gholston, D Rob, Coples all came from very weak drafts.

Except of course the good team in our division landed two defensive starters(and good players) after us.

Archived