Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

Here is what many don't understand. He's a 4-3 DT not DE...His JR year in college he played 4-3 DT and was unreal. Many had him going in the top 5. His SR year they moved him to DE in the 4-3 and his play slipped big time..He dropped in the draft and rest is history. If a team claims him and sticks him at DT in a 4-3, you will see a totally different player..

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea, coples probably said something like " why do you keep playing me at olb? i suck at it. I am a defensive lineman"

Did you watch the gamer last night?  Larry Fitzgerald was asked about his significantly increased role as a blocker.  His answer?  "We're all asked to sacrifice and do the best at our jobs for the betterment of the team, because ultimately when we all do what we're asked to the best of our abilities the team wins".

Coples isn't just sucking, he's not trying.  And it's blatantly apparent.  He's a physical freak of nature, if he embraced his role and dedicated himself to being the best at it, he'd be a beast.  But I suspect he doesn't like his role, and just half asses it.  I don't care what position you put him in, that's not a guy you want on the team. 

his 2 stints on the d-line in 4 years produced results. his stint at olb did not. kind of the definition of square peg, round hole,no?

That is subject to debate.  I really do not remember these results.  He has been capable at best.  People are talking him up at DL, while claiming that Williams hasn't flashed.  I do not understand it.  I think it is more that Coples has some dog in him. 

Did you watch the gamer last night?  Larry Fitzgerald was asked about his significantly increased role as a blocker.  His answer?  "We're all asked to sacrifice and do the best at our jobs for the betterment of the team, because ultimately when we all do what we're asked to the best of our abilities the team wins".

Coples isn't just sucking, he's not trying.  And it's blatantly apparent.  He's a physical freak of nature, if he embraced his role and dedicated himself to being the best at it, he'd be a beast.  But I suspect he doesn't like his role, and just half asses it.  I don't care what position you put him in, that's not a guy you want on the team. 

How is he a "physical freak of nature"?

your talking about a wide receiver asked to do other wide receiver tasks other than catch the ball. coples is asked to play a position that he has no business playing. period. its the equivalent of asking fitzgerald to play half back. just because you suspect coples of half assing it, doesn't mean its blatantly apparent, as you stated. asking coples to play olb in no way, shape, or form benefits the team

He has always had very good speed and quickness.  When he actually shows up in a play he's incredibly strong and quick, why do you think he was drafted so high?  Problem is he has zero self motivation.

Its the NFL. Everyone is a physical freak. He has shown nothing to warrant that title that many give him. Zero self motivation. I am sure he doesn't try, want to play, or get paid. You're right. 

That is subject to debate.  I really do not remember these results.  He has been capable at best.  People are talking him up at DL, while claiming that Williams hasn't flashed.  I do not understand it.  I think it is more that Coples has some dog in him. 

Williams will be fine. he needs to gain some nfl strength to go with his massive size. and while coples has some dog in him, the results of coples playing the d-line are not debatable. results were there. maybe not jj watt results, but hardly results that lead him to be sh*t canned

your talking about a wide receiver asked to do other wide receiver tasks other than catch the ball. coples is asked to play a position that he has no business playing. period. its the equivalent of asking fitzgerald to play half back. just because you suspect coples of half assing it, doesn't mean its blatantly apparent, as you stated. asking coples to play olb in no way, shape, or form benefits the team

Well he obviously wasn't good enough to sdupplant anyone on our DLine, regardless of what front we played.  Dude just got cut midseason, that move screams of doggin it. 

Well he obviously wasn't good enough to sdupplant anyone on our DLine, regardless of what front we played.  Dude just got cut midseason, that move screams of doggin it. 

Agreed. There is more to the story than meets the eye. You don't think Mac knows that Wilkerson could be lost to a season ending injury next week? This team has been hit by so many injuries, they KNOW the importance of depth. 

That doesn't make sense. You cut him after this season to make room for next season, not with 6 games left this season to make room for next season.

If that's the reason, then I think we just pissed away a compensatory pick.

Cutting him to send a message to others now, or if something happened after the game (that we're not aware of yet), is another - and unrelated - matter.

Wonder if it's because somethign happened.  I was sitting behind the Jets bench and was hoping they'd sedn this message to Cromartie too... who was dancing to the music playing in NRG stadium while down 14.  Pathetic.

you never hear his name called during the game.  he is invisible.  he's just another big guy who can't shed a block.

Not all games, most yes but not all.  I do think the playing totally out of position was totally applicable with this guy, I really do and I rarely would endorse that as an excuse.

you do realize all the d-line in front of him are all 300+ pounds. coples is playing at 265. and he was good enough to man wilks position when he was injured at said weight

which, to me anyways, screams knee jerk, throw someone under the bus because the jets are playing like sh*t, reaction.

which, to me anyways, screams knee jerk, throw someone under the bus because the jets are playing like sh*t, reaction.

yea I don't see how they did this now. Couldn't they wait to find a trade partner? I mean the guy was a No.1 pick and has made some plays.  He will be scooped up by the end of the week by some team that has a poor DL - that's half the NFL. 

you never hear his name called during the game.  he is invisible.  he's just another big guy who can't shed a block.

not to sound like a wise azz, but how many times do you think you would hear mo wilks and richardsons name if they were asked to shed weight and play olb? rex's olb experiment failed. new front office is just as blind in that regard.

Coples is a lazy POS who doesn't like football. You should all be happy about this move. I'd imagine you'll see a few more moves just like this one over the next two months as Bowles tosses Rex's trash out the front door. Cro needs to be next, if Bowles is serious about sending messages.

Coples is a lazy POS who doesn't like football. You should all be happy about this move. I'd imagine you'll see a few more moves just like this one over the next two months as Bowles tosses Rex's trash out the front door. Cro needs to be next, if Bowles is serious about sending messages.

I doubt they cut Cro because he's apparently well-liked in the locker room and is good abou mentoring younger guys. He shouldn't be on the field though.

And to top it off, he'll go to New England, be a 4-3 DE and be perfectly solid.

He'd have to go unclaimed by every other team before NE could claim him ... in that case NE might as well wait and sign him as a FA, meaning they can get him on better terms.

bowles has all phases of the jets playing uninspired football. bowles needs to send himself a message,imo

I doubt they cut Cro because he's apparently well-liked in the locker room and is good abou mentoring younger guys. He shouldn't be on the field though.

Yeah, I meant that if Bowles was cutting Coples to send a message, he has to also address Cromartie at the same time. Discipline only works when it's consistent. If Cro starts next week, they may as well have given Coples an extension.

Williams will be fine. he needs to gain some nfl strength to go with his massive size. and while coples has some dog in him, the results of coples playing the d-line are not debatable. results were there. maybe not jj watt results, but hardly results that lead him to be sh*t canned

What were these results? Not totally sucking?  People act like he was playing DE as a rookie, but I think he has mostly played OLB his entire career and I think most of his plays were made while lined up at OLB.  Sure he was coming forward and not dropping, but I think he was used like Pace and Bryan Thomas and that is where he fits on these Ds. 

+1

An escape goat move through and through by Bunny Colvin. 

Sheep go to heaven.  Escape goats go to hell!

Archived