Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

bowles has all phases of the jets playing uninspired football. bowles needs to send himself a message,imo

True, but I see Dan Quinn going through the same sh*t in Atlanta. Both teams flew out to hot starts, both teams have imploded. Newb coaches trying to manage success is difficult. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I meant that if Bowles was cutting Coples to send a message, he has to also address Cromartie at the same time. Discipline only works when it's consistent. If Cro starts next week, they may as well have given Coples an extension.

this isn't about disciplining all that need to tighten up their games.  It's to send a message that if you don't put out, don't contribute you may be next. Reminds me of when One of the Giants HCs, thinking Reeves, cut Pepper Johnson immediately.  Didn't deserve to be cut but the message was sent to the team

Wonder if it's because somethign happened.  I was sitting behind the Jets bench and was hoping they'd sedn this message to Cromartie too... who was dancing to the music playing in NRG stadium while down 14.  Pathetic.

Not happening. Cromartie is here because of Bowles, as opposed to Coples, who he inherited. 

But being truthful, if the true goal was to send a message, yeah I agree with you he should cut Cromartie. I think it's being painted as more of a message than it really was intended to be. This is a GM move not a HC move. Copies wasn't in on that many snaps as it is. If he's healthy, we're cutting him because he isn't worth $8M next year healthy. If he busts his ACL then we must retain him for that huge nut while not healthy. Basically I think this was a risk-aversion move and is getting more play as a "message" even though that may be a distant 2nd reason why he was cut. But the "message" part is a nice freebie for the coach.

Washington is kind of doing the same thing with RGIII, but they can justify the "wasted" roster spot for a #3 QB who never sees the field because only 1 QB ever sees the field, and only 2 dress, even when 3 are on the roster. On defense, every player rotates in & out, and with Coples it was increasingly more out than in anyway.

True, but I see Dan Quinn going through the same sh*t in Atlanta. Both teams flew out to hot starts, both teams have imploded. Newb coaches trying to manage success is difficult. 

yes, newb coaches are a risky hire. great vet coaches don't come along that often. as a jets fan, all we can do is hope that bowles learns from his rookie mistakes. or its back to the drawing board.

Whats the message? "I'm cutting a player that has never done anything and barely plays"   If thats the case then there is no message.

You want to send a message then you bench a Cromartie or some other player that is under performing.

No, the message is, take it easy and don't wear yourself out, and you can escape this moribund organization....

lol. I kid, I kid.....?

Coples is a lazy POS who doesn't like football. You should all be happy about this move. I'd imagine you'll see a few more moves just like this one over the next two months as Bowles tosses Rex's trash out the front door. Cro needs to be next, if Bowles is serious about sending messages.

This isnt a message.  He wasnt even getting run.  This is tard level sh*t.  Richardson is on the sidelines right now and could possibly be suspended for 8+ game next year.

He'd have to go unclaimed by every other team before NE could claim him ... in that case NE might as well wait and sign him as a FA, meaning they can get him on better terms.

He is cheap as sh*t.  He gets like $1.5M, so he is due like $500k.  They exercised his option for next year, but I'm not even sure how that works for the next team. If somebody is considering him, they would be wise to snatch him up and see what they have before they renegotiate.  Make sure you want him for 2016 before giving him any money.

this isn't about disciplining all that need to tighten up their games.  It's to send a message that if you don't put out, don't contribute you may be next. Reminds me of when One of the Giants HCs, thinking Reeves, cut Pepper Johnson immediately.  Didn't deserve to be cut but the message was sent to the team

It's an old coaching tactic. Remember Parcells exiling Hugh Douglas? I definitely think Bowles is chopping Coples to send a message about effort, and Cromartie has played the laziest CB in the league this season. If he gets preferential treatment because he's Bowles' homey, then Bowles deserves to watch Cro give up his inevitable 8 TDs over the next six weeks. 

Like I said earlier, what is the message when you cut someone who doesn't play and was never productive?  We are stuck on the fact that he was a high draft pick years ago but in the scheme of things him being cut  is about the same as if we cut Bowen. Bowen who???   EXACTLY  Someone that has had no impact on this team other than practice.

What were these results? Not totally sucking?  People act like he was playing DE as a rookie, but I think he has mostly played OLB his entire career and I think most of his plays were made while lined up at OLB.  Sure he was coming forward and not dropping, but I think he was used like Pace and Bryan Thomas and that is where he fits on these Ds. 

Sheep go to heaven.  Escape goats go to hell!

not sure what you are talking about here, but coples played strictly d-line his rookie year. 5.5 sacks his rookie year and he only played sparingly. his only other time he played d-line was when wilks got the turf toe for a few games in which he also played well

You people are still going with the square peg round hole excuses?  The guy barely did anything.  His upside is Calvin Pace.  Downside is Gholston.  They weren't going to pay him $7M next year and Mauldin is filing his position pretty capably.  No reason to have him taking up a roster spot.

Maudlin got 10 snaps yesterday.

These dudes are all ****ed up in the head.  That's whats up.

Problem is he has zero self motivation.

This is the reason he was cut.

Remember, this is Rex Ryan's defense, custom-built by the master himself.  Usually after going 1-4 the head coach was telling them they were the best players in the league and how he stands behind them and how it's the offense's fault.  New head coach tells them they suck.  It's a rude awakening for them, Coples the first example of a spoiled, lazy malcontent being shown the door, he most certainly won't be the last.

SAR I

but his salary is reasonable this year,no? cant a team claim him and deal with next year, next year? or is his next years salary guaranteed if claimed?

If you pick up his contract this year and he gets hurt you're on the hook for the full 8m next year.  This is RG3 lite, no team will want that responsibility. 

Coples is a lazy POS who doesn't like football. You should all be happy about this move. I'd imagine you'll see a few more moves just like this one over the next two months as Bowles tosses Rex's trash out the front door. Cro needs to be next, if Bowles is serious about sending messages.

This isn't about sending a message, or not primarily anyway. This is mostly about Mac not wanting to be locked in to paying an injured Coples $8M next season. Bowles isn't using him much anyway. Probably only kept him around another week because Richardson was out and we were 5-4.

Now at 5-5, with 3 teams to leapfrog just to get the #6 seed (one of which now owns a tie breaker against us), reality is setting in, and Mac is making a risk vs. reward decision in keeping or cutting Coples for the last 6 games. And he's smart to do it.

Agree on a real message involving Cromartie, like I just wrote to EY. This one has the on-paper appearance of merely a smart GM move independent of any message-sending, like the way Washington has already all but officially cut RGIII. Difference is the Jets can use the Coples roster spot now on someone else, where Washington would still be using RGIII's spot on another equally-unused #3 QB.

It's an old coaching tactic. Remember Parcells exiling Hugh Douglas? I definitely think Bowles is chopping Coples to send a message about effort, and Cromartie has played the laziest CB in the league this season. If he gets preferential treatment because he's Bowles' homey, then Bowles deserves to watch Cro give up his inevitable 8 TDs over the next six weeks. 

An old coaching tactic is cutting a player that you werent even playing?  Meanwhile you let his heir apparent get 10 snaps on Sunday and the biggest pieces of turd on the roster take the field every Sunday without repercussion? 

but his salary is reasonable this year,no? cant a team claim him and deal with next year, next year? or is his next years salary guaranteed if claimed?

His salary was reasonable this year, but it was $7.5 next year with no dead money.  He was as good as gone.

exactly.  He cut a player who hardly sees the field and was never being brought back. 

Cro is not getting cut for a lot of reasons

Mo will have his best game of the year this Sunday.

He is cheap as sh*t.  He gets like $1.5M, so he is due like $500k.  They exercised his option for next year, but I'm not even sure how that works for the next team. If somebody is considering him, they would be wise to snatch him up and see what they have before they renegotiate.  Make sure you want him for 2016 before giving him any money.

Yes. It's like 500K left or something. But, if you claim Coples you take on next year's 8 million as well. I think.

Wouldn't the next team have to pick up that option as well? The contract calls for [the option amount, $7.8M] if the option is exercised. Well, the option has been exercised so that's now his effective contract going forward.

Maybe.

I think he'd just clear waivers and then someone would sign him to a new contract for the rest of the season.

not sure what you are talking about here, but coples played strictly d-line his rookie year. 5.5 sacks his rookie year and he only played sparingly. his only other time he played d-line was when wilks got the turf toe for a few games in which he also played well

And he's a liability on any play where he doesn't get a sack.  At the end of the day in 5 yeas he has 16.5 sacks. He's a scrub

Cro gets cut in the offseason either way. He won't be back.

But there isn't the obvious, underlying benefit to next season in the form of risk-aversion. If Cro loses a foot next week we can still cut him next season without paying him another dime. If that same thing happened to Coples we have to pay him even more next season than the disgusting amount Cro is getting this season.

So I'll be impressed if he cuts Cromartie. That would be a no-nonsense move, since there is no secondary benefit that helps even more than 1 incident of message-sending. The veterans will know a good amount of the reason Coples was cut was his contract not merely his play.

Also I'll believe he's cut when I see he's been cut, not before then.

Like I said earlier, what is the message when you cut someone who doesn't play and was never productive?  We are stuck on the fact that he was a high draft pick years ago but in the scheme of things him being cut  is about the same as if we cut Bowen. Bowen who???   EXACTLY  Someone that has had no impact on this team other than practice.

loud and clear that if you don't bust your ass and produce, even if you're a high pick making good money you're gone.  Not hard to get the message

This isn't about sending a message, or not primarily anyway. This is mostly about Mac not wanting to be locked in to paying an injured Coples $8M next season. Bowles isn't using him much anyway. Probably only kept him around another week because Richardson was out and we were 5-4.

Now at 5-5, with 3 teams to leapfrog just to get the #6 seed (one of which now owns a tie breaker against us), reality is setting in, and Mac is making a risk vs. reward decision in keeping or cutting Coples for the last 6 games. And he's smart to do it.

Agree on a real message involving Cromartie, like I just wrote to EY. This one has the on-paper appearance of merely a smart GM move independent of any message-sending, like the way Washington has already all but officially cut RGIII. Difference is the Jets can use the Coples roster spot now on someone else, where Washington would still be using RGIII's spot on another equally-unused #3 QB.

The salary situation is a nice aside, but Coples is a former first rounder from the prior regime who's been in the crosshairs since training camp. Bowles is a Parcells disciple. This event could have been predicted back in May. 

The salary situation is a nice aside, but Coples is a former first rounder from the prior regime who's been in the crosshairs since training camp. Bowles is a Parcells disciple. This event could have been predicted back in May. 

It's not a nice aside. It's a huge, big deal.

If Coples gets injured badly enough to activate his guaranteed $7.8M for next year it's a handicap this team can't absorb.

This is an accounting/actuarial type move. 6 more games of a healthy Coples getting a snap here or there isn't worth the risk of paying him $8M next year while injured.

Otherwise what's the message? Pre-Bowles guys need to watch their asses but players signed (or re-signed) this offseason can piss in his mouth? Some message.

If you pick up his contract this year and he gets hurt you're on the hook for the full 8m next year.  This is RG3 lite, no team will want that responsibility. 

Yeah.  Somebody else mentioned this earlier.  Certainly something that they had to consider.  I don't like him much as a player.  I defend Rex on the square peg round hole issue with this guy, but do blame him for the pick more than most picks during his regime.  There was all the Rex working Coples in OLB drills and raving.  I know they wanted Irvin, but they seemed happy enough with the consolation.

Archived