Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd Bowles said the waiving of linebacker Quinton Coples, the 16th overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, was based on the numbers game that football sometimes is.

Coples, the Jets head coach told reporters on a conference call this afternoon, "just wasn't playing. I was trying to get a spot [for him] earlier and we didn't have a spot. We weren't playing him, he hasn't been getting any time. It's just a business move. It was nothing personal."

Specifically, Bowles said there were no issues between Coples and him or any other coaches that led to the release: "Absolutely not."

He also said there was no message to the team wrapped up in a transaction involving a former No. 1 pick after the Jets lost for the fourth time in five games to the Texans in Houston on Sunday.

"We're not trying to send a message," he said. "We're just trying to play good football players and we're trying to play guys that want to play and are ready to play. And obviously along the way, whether we're winning or losing, we still have to make business decisions, and that was just one of them."

Bowles said it was not a case of Coples not being ready to play as much as him being involved in the business decision. The coach wouldn't discuss an imminent course of action but he did confirm that he and general manager Mike Maccagnan "have something in mind" regarding the roster spot that's now opened.

"I'm not going to divulge that at this time," he said, "but we do have something that we're looking at."

ooooooooooooooh 

Todd Bowles said the waiving of linebacker Quinton Coples, the 16th overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, was based on the numbers game that football sometimes is.

Coples, the Jets head coach told reporters on a conference call this afternoon, "just wasn't playing. I was trying to get a spot [for him] earlier and we didn't have a spot. We weren't playing him, he hasn't been getting any time. It's just a business move. It was nothing personal."

Specifically, Bowles said there were no issues between Coples and him or any other coaches that led to the release: "Absolutely not."

He also said there was no message to the team wrapped up in a transaction involving a former No. 1 pick after the Jets lost for the fourth time in five games to the Texans in Houston on Sunday.

"We're not trying to send a message," he said. "We're just trying to play good football players and we're trying to play guys that want to play and are ready to play. And obviously along the way, whether we're winning or losing, we still have to make business decisions, and that was just one of them."

Bowles said it was not a case of Coples not being ready to play as much as him being involved in the business decision. The coach wouldn't discuss an imminent course of action but he did confirm that he and general manager Mike Maccagnan "have something in mind" regarding the roster spot that's now opened.

"I'm not going to divulge that at this time," he said, "but we do have something that we're looking at."

ooooooooooooooh 

what about his positive talk in the locker room???  Can we get him a participation trophy???

ooooooooooooooh 

Ray Rice :D

ooooooooooooooh 

"We're not trying to send a message," he said. "We're just trying to play good football players and we're trying to play guys that want to play and are ready to play."

Coquettish!

Jimmy Clausen was waived by the Bears. So, that there's that. 

Fitz, Clausen, Petty.

Geno is a business decision. Nothing personal. 

They all you freak-a-zoids can get all Brett Ratliffe-ey over Clausen.

good call. maybe mallett ?

good call. maybe mallett ?

Good grief, I truly hope not. I have zero interest in trying to rehabilitate more sh*t at QB. Fitz was a nice surprise to make the first quarter of the season fun, and I'd love to see him back next year as our backup QB, but we need to do something real. No more trash. No more selling this fanbase on "hope" and "rebuilding" and the probation period that comes with hiring rookie HCs and rotating garbage QBs.

Good grief, I truly hope not. I have zero interest in trying to rehabilitate more sh*t at QB. Fitz was a nice surprise to make the first quarter of the season fun, and I'd love to see him back next year as our backup QB, but we need to do something real. No more trash. No more selling this fanbase on "hope" and "rebuilding" and the probation period that comes with hiring rookie HCs and rotating garbage QBs.

Well maybe it's time to bring back Tebow and put the Christ back into Christmas this year. 

(Kidding)

Ray Rice?

Completely botched pick. Coples as a 4-3 penetrating D-tackle showed flashes as a rookie only to never see that position ever again thanks to Rex and the draft pick of Sheldon. 

Poor job by Bowles to not utilize his talent - HE IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN AN EDGE RUSHER. 

jet nut, I get your point. I just don't agree with it. I believe my own eyes over what some message board posters tell me. nobody was saying that coples sucked his rookie year and nobody said he sucked when he filled in for Wilkerson last year. the only 2 times he played d-line in his 4.5 year career. but yet he sucks because he was forced to play olb.

lets keep in mind that next year 2 guys on the line are looking to get paid and 1 guy cant seem to stay out of trouble. rex screwed coples by moving him to olb

bowles screwed coples by continuing the stupidity

now they cut the guy

I thought he had value. the jets threw him in the trash

Coples screwed Coples.  He failed as a OLB.  Hes not a good enough DL. You think he is, no one else does.  Two coaching staffs, known and hired for their defensive minds dont agree with you.  DL built like Coples make the switch to OLB.  Given his MO is to be lazy its not surprising that he failed.  Not the coaches, he failed.  

Now, who are the two who need to be paid next year?  And what, we're supposed to worry about real players needing to get paid and we need Coples as the fall back?  

You like him, I think hes a lazy dog who wasted his talent.  Time will tell. 

Coples screwed Coples.  He failed as a OLB.  Hes not a good enough DL. You think he is, no one else does.  Two coaching staffs, known and hired for their defensive minds dont agree with you.  DL built like Coples make the switch to OLB.  Given his MO is to be lazy its not surprising that he failed.  Not the coaches, he failed.  

Now, who are the two who need to be paid next year?  And what, we're supposed to worry about real players needing to get paid and we need Coples as the fall back?  

You like him, I think hes a lazy dog who wasted his talent.  Time will tell. 

time will tell. no sense arguing this point. we obviously have different opinions on the player. but let me ask you this and answer honestly. at which point during coples 2 stints on the defensive line, did you come to the conclusion that coples cant play good enough? was it during his rookie year, starting only 2-3 games and getting 5.5 sacks or was it when wilks was injured and coples filled in without missing a beat? at 265 no less. just curious

time will tell. no sense arguing this point. we obviously have different opinions on the player. but let me ask you this and answer honestly. at which point during coples 2 stints on the defensive line, did you come to the conclusion that coples cant play good enough? was it during his rookie year, starting only 2-3 games and getting 5.5 sacks or was it when wilks was injured and coples filled in without missing a beat? at 265 no less. just curious

As a rookie he may have only started 2-3 games but he was on the field as much as he was in years 2 & 3.  Never did I ever see the player Rex swore he got.  I saw the player that was ripped as lazy and heartless.  Really.  5.5 sacks are not impressive to me.  I also never saw the Coples that you claimed filled in for Mo without missing a beat.  You'd be alone in that one, no one, anywhere thinks Coples is capable of replacing Mo without missing a beat.  At any weight, Mo is a destructive force at times, Coples has never, ever been one

1. As a rookie he may have only started 2-3 games but he was on the field as much as he was in years 2 & 3.  Never did I ever see the player Rex swore he got.  I saw the player that was ripped as lazy and heartless.  Really.  5.5 sacks are not impressive to me.  I also never saw the Coples that you claimed filled in for Mo without missing a beat.  You'd be alone in that one, no one, anywhere thinks Coples is capable of replacing Mo without missing a beat.  At any weight, Mo is a destructive force at times, Coples has never, ever been one

no he wasnt

but the thing is, he did. and even if he only brought 80%-90% of what mo brings, he shouldn't be cut worthy.

starting to think that you didn't watch the games

I asked you to answer the question I asked truthfully and you hand me this

no he wasnt

but the thing is, he did. and even if he only brought 80%-90% of what mo brings, he shouldn't be cut worthy.

starting to think that you didn't watch the games

I asked you to answer the question I asked truthfully and you hand me this

OK, now he's 80-90% of Mo.  Or has played that way.  I know you didnt watch the games.  No one has ever mentioned Coples and Mo together in the same breath.  But youre getting angry, I'm done.  I said it before we disagree.  When he's picked up and becomes a star you can say you were right and I'll agree

If you're a CPA and you go to a firm and they hire you as a CPA, but then when it comes to the actual job, they keep asking you to fix the heating system and fix the Internet on their computers, how well do you think you'd do?

Thats a rediculously bad analogy.

Remember wanting DeCastro at that pick who has started 35 games at Guard for the Squelers, even after the season ending injury in his rookie season

Or I wonder if this is when Bradway was pounding the table for Wilson, and Rex stopped and said "he promised"

Oh well, the rebuild continues

Good luck to Q in the NFC hopefully

Archived