MAC's Draft looking suspect

kevinc855

SO, this was a hotbed for anti idzik people and I was certainly no fan of that bumbling stumbling man but as the Jets begin to implode I think we need to stop and look at this last Draft from Mac and company. Bottom line up front to me, average to below average. Lets take a closer look

Round One. Williams: Ok this wasnt Macs pick, this was a gift from the football  gods when the Skins passed on him. Kid is great and will get better with the Jets but our scouting team had nothing to do with this.

Round Two; Smith: Allow me to say this after watching football all these years..HES A BUST. Kid is thin and quick and thats about it. He is one of those quick guys in college that can never adjust to the big boys and the hits of the NFL. He has been a drop machine as well, it seems to me he is anticipating being hit (hence injured again) therefore lacks concentration. Seven cathces for less then 90 yards at Week 12 on a top 40 pick?? FAILURE here on Mac.I really never liked this pick back in April.

Round Three: Mauldin: Kid has potential but after 9 games all I see is 8 tackles and 2 sacks. He was supposed to be the edge rusher we needed but I'm not really seeing it. However for the 3rd round I like the pick and the kid and think he will def develop into a better player.

Round Four: Petty: Gaily has made it known he is not coming along the way the Jets have hoped. Of course we have not seem him play yet but it worries me that Bowles was very very direct about not starting Petty the time Fitz and Geno were injured. He was about to go with a journey QB off the street if Fitz didnt start. Maybe we will see Petty play in a meanigless game Week 17 if the Jets get knocked out of the hunt. We will see.......

Round Five: Harrsion: Waived by the team. Need I say more? 5th round is not quite bottom of barrell material. Whifed here.

Round 7: Simon. On the the practice squad of a team that most likley does not need him on active roster the next few years.

All in all, the Jets need to look HARD HARD at NEEDS for 2016. I understnd grabbing the best player on the board but there are so many offensive needs, we will see if its adressed. Our first pick will prob be around 17-25 so lets not expect anything amazing but I say GO WIDE RECIEVER OR RB. But this is the Jets and Bowles so will prob grab some CB. GO JETS!! (I guess??)

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 15

Round 1 is definitely worth discussion.  He was presumably offered the opportunity to trade down, but instead took BAP.  Now, we'll never know exactly what he was offered, but to say that Williams at 4 was a no-brainer - that's almost certainly not true.

For Petty in round 4 - we won't have a clue until year 2 or 3.  Not sure what you're talking about "not coming along the way the Jets have hoped".

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Round 1 is definitely worth discussion.  He was presumably offered the opportunity to trade down, but instead took BAP.  Now, we'll never know exactly what he was offered, but to say that Williams at 4 was a no-brainer - that's almost certainly not true.

For Petty in round 4 - we won't have a clue until year 2 or 3.  Not sure what you're talking about "not coming along the way the Jets have hoped".

http://www.hngn.com/articles/128998/20150912/new-york-jets-rumors-bryce-petty-not-impressing-jets.htm

All you need to do is take a look at Calvin Pryor to see why it is way too early to be judging this year's draft class.  At this point, Smith is the one who may be a cause for concern, but it's a guy who missed preseason and the start of the year, and was already known to have some serious development to do, so it's hardly time to consider him a lost cause.

• Upvote 3

Round One. Williams: Smart enough to not get too cute and pick a guy that fell into their laps.

Round Two; Smith: I honestly did not like the pick at the time considering who else was around then.  I didn't think the guy would look this utterly terrible though.  Too early to call a bust but early returns are not good.

Round Three: Mauldin: His lack of stats and playing time lay squarely at the feet of the coaching staff that have a Rex like affinity for old, slow, smart, non athletic players at olb.

Round Four: Petty: I have not seen any evidence that Gailey has said he is not coming around.  Even if does not pan out, drafting a Qb with a good arm and size at that point in the draft is never wrong, you keep drafting them until you find one.

Round Five: Harrsion: Glad we drafted an olineman here, Harrison was highly touted ability wise and this choice was a okay even if he does not pan out.

Round 7: Simon. 7th rounder are almost always long term projects.

Out of the draft the 2nd rounder is the only big huge question for me.  The rest are good enough picks whether they develop or not.

I hope we make some deals to get more picks next year.

"I don't like where he is, but I like where he's headed," said Gailey.

Sum total of facts in that article.  It doesn't say anything about his progress, just that Petty is not ready.  The quote came from before week 1, when the decision was being made if they should carry a 4th QB while Geno healed.  Does not in any way indicate the Jets were not happy with his progression.  Project QB = project.  That's it. He probably won't pan out, but that just means he is a 4th round QB.

• Upvote 1

First of all it was pick number 6.

Second, you definitely have no brain if you do not think that was a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

SO, this was a hotbed for anti idzik people and I was certainly no fan of that bumbling stumbling man but as the Jets begin to implode I think we need to stop and look at this last Draft from Mac and company. Bottom line up front to me, average to below average. Lets take a closer look

Round One. Williams: Ok this wasnt Macs pick, this was a gift from the football  gods when the Skins passed on him. Kid is great and will get better with the Jets but our scouting team had nothing to do with this.

Round Two; Smith: Allow me to say this after watching football all these years..HES A BUST. Kid is thin and quick and thats about it. He is one of those quick guys in college that can never adjust to the big boys and the hits of the NFL. He has been a drop machine as well, it seems to me he is anticipating being hit (hence injured again) therefore lacks concentration. Seven cathces for less then 90 yards at Week 12 on a top 40 pick?? FAILURE here on Mac.I really never liked this pick back in April.

Round Three: Mauldin: Kid has potential but after 9 games all I see is 8 tackles and 2 sacks. He was supposed to be the edge rusher we needed but I'm not really seeing it. However for the 3rd round I like the pick and the kid and think he will def develop into a better player.

Round Four: Petty: Gaily has made it known he is not coming along the way the Jets have hoped. Of course we have not seem him play yet but it worries me that Bowles was very very direct about not starting Petty the time Fitz and Geno were injured. He was about to go with a journey QB off the street if Fitz didnt start. Maybe we will see Petty play in a meanigless game Week 17 if the Jets get knocked out of the hunt. We will see.......

Round Five: Harrsion: Waived by the team. Need I say more? 5th round is not quite bottom of barrell material. Whifed here.

Round 7: Simon. On the the practice squad of a team that most likley does not need him on active roster the next few years.

All in all, the Jets need to look HARD HARD at NEEDS for 2016. I understnd grabbing the best player on the board but there are so many offensive needs, we will see if its adressed. Our first pick will prob be around 17-25 so lets not expect anything amazing but I say GO WIDE RECIEVER OR RB. But this is the Jets and Bowles so will prob grab some CB. GO JETS!! (I guess??)

Nothing wrong with Williams.

Devin Smith's play has been extremely concerning. But the guy missed all of the pre-season and the first few weeks of the season. He has the tools. He deserves more than a handful of games before labeling him a bust.

Maudlin has been great when on the field. Hopefully with the coaching staff cutting Coples, Maudlin gets a bigger role

Petty was a project QB.. who get this - is a project in year one.

Harrison was waived in a numbers game, and was quickly resigned to the practice squad. Jury's out.

Simon is on the practice squad only due to the depth we have at DL. But given that Harrison probably wont be back next year, it's a good bet Simon is part of the DL rotation in 2016.

[Sheesh, no need to read my post, this is just about a complete duplicate of what TheDominator said, though I hadn't read it.]

Note that that was written before week 1, and the quote from Gailey is:

"I don't like where he is, but I like where he's headed," said Gailey.

So it's not even clear if that's a negative or a positive.

But TBH, no one knows how good Petty will be, and in the 4th round, he's really just a lottery ticket.

Edited by thshadow

Round Four: Petty: Gaily has made it known he is not coming along the way the Jets have hoped.

That remark by Gailey was about Deviin Smith not Petty 

• Upvote 1

At this point the only pick I begrudge Mac is Devin Smith.  Does anyone have a good analysis of how the 2nd rounders picked after Devin Smith are doing?  Devin Funchess and Ronald Darby jump out.  

Mac and Bowles together tried to hard to win now in 2015 rather than build for the future. My biggest beef was signing Cromartie-that $8mm should have been paid to lock up Wilkerson.  

Otherwise they did what they could to sign some quality players on second contracts that hopefully can be with the team when it makes the playoffs in 2017-Carpenter, Skrine, Gilcrist.  Fitzpatrick was a great backup/hold the fort QB.    The team needs to rebuild-it is talent depleted.

• Upvote 1

At this point the only pick I begrudge Mac is Devin Smith.  Does anyone have a good analysis of how the 2nd rounders picked after Devin Smith are doing?  Devin Funchess and Ronald Darby jump out.  

Mac and Bowles together tried to hard to win now in 2015 rather than build for the future. My biggest beef was signing Cromartie-that $8mm should have been paid to lock up Wilkerson.  

Otherwise they did what they could to sign some quality players on second contracts that hopefully can be with the team when it makes the playoffs in 2017-Carpenter, Skrine, Gilcrist.  Fitzpatrick was a great backup/hold the fort QB.    The team needs to rebuild-it is talent depleted.

Devin Smith made a lot of sense. He was a speedy receiver on a team that didn't have one. The jury is still out and he seems lost. Hopefully a full NFL offseason will get him back up to speed.

Cro makes sense too. He's a veteran coming off a solid season who had experience in NY and in Bowles system. It's not like we had a ton of proven guys behind him. He should be cut this offseason and then maybe Milliner (unlikely), Williams (maybe) or McDougle (unlikely) can take his place. 

All you need to do is take a look at Calvin Pryor to see why it is way too early to be judging this year's draft class.  At this point, Smith is the one who may be a cause for concern, but it's a guy who missed preseason and the start of the year, and was already known to have some serious development to do, so it's hardly time to consider him a lost cause.

Yes, I think it's fair to say a wide receiver who can't catch the damn ball might be a bit of a concern.

I haven't read a single post in this thread because the topic is so stupid.    All I want to say is anyone evaluating a draft after 1 season let alone 10 games is an absolute f'n  moron.  Period.  The end.

Its probably stupid to you because you can't read.

• Thumb Down 1

I'll tell ya, what you're saying here isn't so rebellious. Some people on here are just so sensitive.  Its like they think you're hurting their feelings or something.  ****in hilarious, to actually have hurt feelings by criticizing the Jets organization that hasn't won in 45 years.  WOW so on with it.  Williams, great pick BUT our DL was fine w/o him.  I would have taken Gurley. This offence SUCKS.  Gurely is a one of a kind back and immediately would have electrified our running game.  We haven't had a back like that since Freeman McNeil.  Oh Well, next. Devin Smith.  Honestly, didn't know much about him, but its clear he's a bust.  Personally, I would have used the #2 as trade bait and whatever else (reasonably) and traded for Glennon.  #3 Mauldin....I agree he looks like a good player in the making.  #4 Petty..whats to say other than we have to wait and see.  I think that's what you said right? Yea you did.  #5  Harrison... another bust - oh well - so who gets blamed for this anyway?  Oh not the GM, he is just the GM.  #7 Simon DE...oh another DE just what we needed.   So this team has so many needs its crucial to stop going the BPA route.  First and foremost, it needs a QB. They need to cut Geno and find a decent interim QB until they can decide on whether developing Petty is the answer. All else is on the back burner.        

Look, Smith looks like sh*t. Maybe that changes, but that's the case for now. Mauldin looks like he'll be ok I guess, but watching Clemmings tear it up the past few weeks in Minnesota doesn't make the Petty pick any more tolerable than it already wasn't. Williams will probably be great, but I dunno, hard to get excited about yet another run-stuffing DL. Yippee. I thought it was tough to be excited about this class on draft weekend and I haven't seen much to suggest otherwise. End of the day it looks like we got two good players, and in a normal draft year this would all be fine, but the Jets had blown a bunch of drafts prior to 2015 and desperately needed to hit a grand slam this past year. Pretty clear that's not happening.

Edited by RutgersJetFan

Someone said this in another thread, but it's also worth pointing out that we replaced a bunch of scouts the week after the draft, so it's not really fair to call this Maccagnan's draft (which makes sense, given that our 2015 draft looks like all of our other drafts from the last decade).

Pretty much. Every draft from '07 on didn't net the Jets more than 2 players. Some less and some none. That's a surefire ticket to consistent mediocrity. I mean jesus, scroll through the '08 through '14 drafts. What the sh*t. The Jets were so desperate for an all-world class this year, and even if things work out for some of this one, it's pretty clear that at the very least, it's safe to conclude that they ain't that.

Pretty much. Every draft from '07 on didn't net the Jets more than 2 players. Some less and some none. That's a surefire ticket to consistent mediocrity. I mean jesus, scroll through the '08 through '14 drafts. What the sh*t. The Jets were so desperate for an all-world class this year, and even if things work out for some of this one, it's pretty clear that at the very least, it's safe to conclude that they ain't that.

Blasphemous, just blasphemous.  You should be banned for this.  Off with his head. LOL

Edited by Powpow

I remember when Wesley Walker was a rookie and young WR would be wide open, running past everyone and dropping passes left and right.

Too bad we didnt have the internet back then to have all the stay at home GM and scouts to tell us after half a season how he was a bust.  We could have cut him early and eased the pain

• Upvote 2