MAC's Draft looking suspect

kevinc855

[Sheesh, no need to read my post, this is just about a complete duplicate of what TheDominator said, though I hadn't read it.]

Note that that was written before week 1, and the quote from Gailey is:

"I don't like where he is, but I like where he's headed," said Gailey.

So it's not even clear if that's a negative or a positive.

But TBH, no one knows how good Petty will be, and in the 4th round, he's really just a lottery ticket.

No worries.  Most of us avoided reading this whole thread.

That remark by Gailey was about Deviin Smith not Petty 

I think the quote he is going for is the one from the article.  Funny thing is, I think the only reason Gailey was talking Petty down was to keep expectations down because they were possibly keeping Flynn or Johnson and he didn't want pitchforks at the kid's door for being a 4th round pick that couldn't be the emergency QB

I haven't read a single post in this thread because the topic is so stupid.    All I want to say is anyone evaluating a draft after 1 season let alone 10 games is an absolute f'n  moron.  Period.  The end.

I think it was pretty easy to judge last year's draft since you can judge a player as a failure if he is not on the team.

The twisted syntax of that sentence makes my brain hurt...

So! You do, in fact, have a brain?  Then you must not, not think that was a no-brainer!

Someone said this in another thread, but it's also worth pointing out that we replaced a bunch of scouts the week after the draft, so it's not really fair to call this Maccagnan's draft (which makes sense, given that our 2015 draft looks like all of our other drafts from the last decade).

I would feel much better about this if it weren't what were saying going into the 2014 draft compared to 2013.  I think I'd rather have Bradway pounding the table than whoever those guys were.

Williams was a no brainer and he seems to be developing nicely, which will render Richardson very tradeable in the offseason. 

Devin Smith's lack of development is of minor concern. He was hurt and missed a fair amount of camp and most of the early games. He's about 8-10 weeks behind as a result. Rookie receivers are hit and miss. Some come in like gangbusters but some take time to develop. I remember Alshon Jeffrey being tagged as a bust as a rookie, he was out of shape, didn't seem to care, got hurt, etc. etc. Now look at him. We have a clear 1 and 2 ahead of him. Smith being an impact player this year would have always been seen as a bonus. It was never a necessity. They knew this when he was drafted.

Mauldin looks like he might be a beast. Kids got a motor that never stops and always seems to be in on the action when he's on the field. 

If you actually read Gailey's comments he actually said "I don't like where he is but I like where he's going." Kid was a fourth rounder because he needed work. Gailey thinks he's heading in the right direction. If Fitz continues to not be able to get the job done, I'd give Geno a couple of starts and then Petty a couple of starts. We ain't winning anything this year anyway, Mac and Bowles ain't going anywhere. This is the perfect opportunity to assess these guys. 

Jesus I didn't even know that we waived Harrison. sh*t.

He's been on the practice squad a couple of weeks.  The transactions list says they cut Coples yesterday and reinstated Enunwa, but Enunwa played Sunday.  They also cut Ronald Martin and added Catapano.  Another DE/OLB, so I'm sure everybody is excited.  Hopefully he will play specials.  Kid showed some pass rush promise, but it was the Ivy League.  They IR'ed Stacy, so I guess they have an open slot.  I wonder about Mangold's status.

Williams was a no brainer and he seems to be developing nicely, which will render Richardson very tradeable in the offseason. 

Devin Smith's lack of development is of minor concern. He was hurt and missed a fair amount of camp and most of the early games. He's about 8-10 weeks behind as a result. Rookie receivers are hit and miss. Some come in like gangbusters but some take time to develop. I remember Alshon Jeffrey being tagged as a bust as a rookie, he was out of shape, didn't seem to care, got hurt, etc. etc. Now look at him. We have a clear 1 and 2 ahead of him. Smith being an impact player this year would have always been seen as a bonus. It was never a necessity. They knew this when he was drafted.

Mauldin looks like he might be a beast. Kids got a motor that never stops and always seems to be in on the action when he's on the field. 

If you actually read Gailey's comments he actually said "I don't like where he is but I like where he's going." Kid was a fourth rounder because he needed work. Gailey thinks he's heading in the right direction. If Fitz continues to not be able to get the job done, I'd give Geno a couple of starts and then Petty a couple of starts. We ain't winning anything this year anyway, Mac and Bowles ain't going anywhere. This is the perfect opportunity to assess these guys. 

this.  mccags did a lot in one very active offseason, but all his moves were with the understanding the team needed way more work than he was able to do in short order.  

not only did he have to prepare for a draft with scouts he didn't hire, he had to assess an entire roster while pursuing free agents on the fly.  his first goal obviously was to fix the defense which has had dubious results but all the moves were very logical except for maybe bringing back cro (who could well be gone after the season anyway, especially if milliner ever plays decent).  

as mediocre as fitz has been he's better than sanchez (playing like crap again) and geno and he threw some real nice long ones to marshall and smith this past week.  you have to assume that this offseason he will aggressively look to upgrade the offensive line first and foremost, add a real TE and upgrade the crap they've had at lb.  that he cut coples midseason is a great sign, as mccags continues to cut the dead wood from the roster, and this should only open up more opportunities for mauldin.  

both mauldin and smith got off to slow starts due to injury and i still believe they will come around, though those drops really hurt.

What has surprised me about Smith is the drops.  HE was not known for drops in College and actually was one of the better "highlight" WR's.  I would have liked to see them use him for quick screens and slants.  Try to get the kid's feet wet and give him some confidence.

• Upvote 1

What has surprised me about Smith is the drops.  HE was not known for drops in College and actually was one of the better "highlight" WR's.  I would have liked to see them use him for quick screens and slants.  Try to get the kid's feet wet and give him some confidence.

maybe he's not dropping them in practice so they trust him.  just have to hope he works out of this, at least he's getting open.

• Upvote 1

It is way too early to tell about our draft, but as I see it:

#1 Williams - consensus pick - will hopefully be great; frees us to trade Wilkerson or Richardson in the offseason.

#2 Smith - yeah his drops piss me off too. hopefully he can fix this, he is raw, but hopefully

#3 Mauldin - Not a bad value pick for 3rd round; He plays hard - time will tell - I haven't seem much of him in coverage - at least he is faster than our other LBs

#4 Petty - could be the future - if he pans out this is a great draft; way too early to tell

#5 Harrison - practice squad - who knows how this will turn out

#7 Simone - big question mark

So, it looks okay, but not great, right?  But, let's not forget the trades...

Stacey - okay, not impressed

Posey - waste

Marshall - starter and true #1 receiver - yes he has had the dropsies lately

Fitzpatrick - starter - where would we be if Geno was out? playing Simms?

When you include the trades you get our starting QB and starting #1 WR.  Add rotation from Williams (would be starter if not so deep at DL), Mauldin - who will probably start now that Coples is gone.  And you have

3 starters, a rotational contributor (and someday hopefully great starter), and a WR who may someday start if he can get his head out of his a.. and it looks like a pretty damn good draft.  Again, too early to tell

A draft needs a few years to be decided on who is a bust and who isn't. Don't really like Devin Smith so far though. Jets need to spend a high pick on a left offensive tackle to solidify the line. A center is going to be needed as well. Safety is another position that needs an upgrade. Pryor is average at best, and he can't cover my grandmother. He also is NOT the big hitter Rex thought he was getting. He is an arm tackler who always gives extra yards on tackles. Much work is still needed on this team to be a contender, but Mac is a head and shoulders better GM  than Tanny or Idzik.

I hate rating a draft by how many starters it produces.  I remember the 2013 draft being so historically good because we landed a starting CB (Milliner - can't get on the field) Dlineman (Sheldon - suspension problems),  QB (Geno - cause Sanchez got hurt, things not looking so bright for him now), Olineman (Winters - started by beating out other rookies and Peterman who has been out of the league since) and FB (Bohanon - is this even still a position?)  Whoopty damn doo!  Out of those 7 players we got one legit player.  Jury is still not back on some, but "starting" and excelling are two different things.

• 5 years later...
On 11/23/2015 at 5:16 PM, kevinc855 said:

SO, this was a hotbed for anti idzik people and I was certainly no fan of that bumbling stumbling man but as the Jets begin to implode I think we need to stop and look at this last Draft from Mac and company. Bottom line up front to me, average to below average. Lets take a closer look

Round One. Williams: Ok this wasnt Macs pick, this was a gift from the football  gods when the Skins passed on him. Kid is great and will get better with the Jets but our scouting team had nothing to do with this.

Round Two; Smith: Allow me to say this after watching football all these years..HES A BUST. Kid is thin and quick and thats about it. He is one of those quick guys in college that can never adjust to the big boys and the hits of the NFL. He has been a drop machine as well, it seems to me he is anticipating being hit (hence injured again) therefore lacks concentration. Seven cathces for less then 90 yards at Week 12 on a top 40 pick?? FAILURE here on Mac.I really never liked this pick back in April.

Round Three: Mauldin: Kid has potential but after 9 games all I see is 8 tackles and 2 sacks. He was supposed to be the edge rusher we needed but I'm not really seeing it. However for the 3rd round I like the pick and the kid and think he will def develop into a better player.

Round Four: Petty: Gaily has made it known he is not coming along the way the Jets have hoped. Of course we have not seem him play yet but it worries me that Bowles was very very direct about not starting Petty the time Fitz and Geno were injured. He was about to go with a journey QB off the street if Fitz didnt start. Maybe we will see Petty play in a meanigless game Week 17 if the Jets get knocked out of the hunt. We will see.......

Round Five: Harrsion: Waived by the team. Need I say more? 5th round is not quite bottom of barrell material. Whifed here.

Round 7: Simon. On the the practice squad of a team that most likley does not need him on active roster the next few years.

All in all, the Jets need to look HARD HARD at NEEDS for 2016. I understnd grabbing the best player on the board but there are so many offensive needs, we will see if its adressed. Our first pick will prob be around 17-25 so lets not expect anything amazing but I say GO WIDE RECIEVER OR RB. But this is the Jets and Bowles so will prob grab some CB. GO JETS!! (I guess??)

Kevin is ahead of the curve.

Seen the early signs with Mac and again with Joey D.

We’ll persist with Douglas and it will set us back another 5 years. Our fans will turn on him all at once and they’ll suggest they knew all along that he was a hack.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

We’ll persist with Douglas and it will set us back another 5 years. Our fans will turn on him all at once and they’ll suggest they knew all along that he was a hack.

Funny because I’m realizing a lot of the people thinking Bryce petty was a good pick were the same ilk defending the captain Morgan pick all the way to the fall 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Kevin.....The GM slayer...

Looking at all those downvotes makes me chuckle 

Predicting a gm, coach, or player on the Jets will suck is not bold.  

In fact, it's the opposite.  

Congratulations!

I prefer to be positive even if it means I'm wrong, otherwise what is the point of following the team?  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

but what if Kevin is wrong. what if we give up on JD and Saleh too early. people do learn from there mistakes.

imagine we finally got the guy but let him go. its like we trained him for someone else.

one more year for him and Saleh. if its stil bad in 2022 then there both out.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, doitny said:

but what if Kevin is wrong. what if we give up on JD and Saleh too early. people do learn from there mistakes.

imagine we finally got the guy but let him go. its like we trained him for someone else.

one more year for him and Saleh. if its stil bad in 2022 then there both out.

It’s been two and a half years. If he was the guy there’d be something to show for it. Instead we have declined significantly under him, worse than we were at this stage under Mac.

He has to go. 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s been two and a half years. If he was the guy there’d be something to show for it. Instead we have declined significantly under him, worse than we were at this stage under Mac.

He has to go. 

He inherited a roster with 5 quality starters.

FIVE.

Not including a QB, cornerbacks or edge rushers.

You tell me how a GM is supposed to fill so many holes in TWO offseasons. Firing him right now would be insane. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Green hat said:

He inherited a roster with 5 quality starters.

FIVE.

Not including a QB, cornerbacks or edge rushers.

You tell me how a GM is supposed to fill so many holes in TWO offseasons. Firing him right now would be insane. 

Agreed.  But he will be fired after  2 more....  

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Predicting a gm, coach, or player on the Jets will suck is not bold.  

In fact, it's the opposite.  

Congratulations!

I prefer to be positive even if it means I'm wrong, otherwise what is the point of following the team?  

Predicting a Jets GM will suck is not bold but hero worshipping the new one when he hasn't accomplished anything is mental. 

• Sympathy 2