Jets need to get Drew Brees if the Saints make him available

joewilly12

Gary Meyers Daily News wrote this article 

The Jets desperately need a quarterback. Has anybody seen that movie over the last 40 years?

It didn’t take Ryan Fitzpatrick digging up worms with passes nosediving into the turf against the Bills or two late interceptions in the loss to the Texans to come to this conclusion: He is what he is.

What is that? He’s a journeyman quarterback good enough to start for six different teams but bad enough that none of the first five wanted to keep him.

He is what Bill Parcells calls a “hold the fort guy,” meaning someone who will keep things respectable until GM Mike Maccagnan finds a short-term fix to take over a win-now team or a long-term solution who can provide stability for the next 8-10 years. Geno Smith is a “pack your bags guy,” meaning he will not be around next season.

HOW DOES GENO SMITH STACK UP AGAINST OTHER NFL BACKUPS?

There are three intriguing offseason scenarios for the Jets that include Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford and Colin Kaepernick:

— If the Saints make him available, go get Brees. I like this scenario the best for the Jets: Trade for Brees and draft a quarterback in the first round in the 2016 draft. There could be a complete rebuild in New Orleans after the season starting with Sean Payton moving. The Saints will find a team willing to trade for Brees if he agrees to a restructured contract or they could cut him if he won’t take a salary reduction to facilitate a trade. Brees is scheduled to make $19.75 million next season in the final year of his contract. He will be 37 in January; he had a shoulder issue a few weeks ago that forced him to miss his first game due to injury since he had shoulder surgery after the 2005 season. But since coming back, he tied the NFL record with seven TD passes earlier this month against the Giants. He has 20 TDs, nine INTs and is completing 69.5%.

— Brees would be the perfect mentor if the Jets use their first-round pick on a quarterback. They will likely be picking in the middle of the round. Although there is no quarterback expected to go first overall, Cal’s Jared Goff is likely to go into the offseason evaluation process as the No. 1 prospect. Other QBs who should go in either the first or second round: Paxton Lynch (Memphis), Connor Cook (Michigan State), Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) and Cardale Jones (Ohio State). If the Jets can get the right rookie next year, or if they decide Bryce Petty has potential and he’s their QB for 2017, then Brees can play the role Kurt Warner played for Giants. Warner babysat Eli Manning for the first nine games of his rookie year until Tom Coughlin made the switch.

MYERS’ BOOK REVEALS UNTOLD STORY OF BRADY VS. MANNING

Back page of the New York Daily News for November 25, 2015 with Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints - GET DAT GUY!NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

If the Saints are going to make Drew Brees available, the Jets have to GET DAT GUY!

I think Brees still has plenty left and may look at the Jets as a team ready to win with him at quarterback. He can also set himself up for post-career opportunities, especially in television, by playing in New York.

Brees has become an integral part of the post-Katrina community in New Orleans and if the Saints get rid of him, it will be an unpopular move. But it might be the best football move to free up cap space.

— The Lions, who finally are playing well, certainly will have a new GM and new coach after the season, which could lead to the departure of underachieving quarterback Matthew Stafford. He has a terrific arm — he had 41 TDs in 2011 — and he’s only 27 years old. He’s making $17 million next year and $16.5 million in 2017. In the right situation, he can be a big-time player. He’s more of a long-term answer than Brees, but I wouldn’t give up the Jets first-round pick for him. I would give up second- and fifth-round picks.

NFL AND THANKSGIVING: THE 5 MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENTS

— Kaepernick’s regressed last year and fell apart this season. The breakup between the Niners and Jim Harbaugh left Kaepernick without his mentor and he’s been lost without him. He was benched a couple of weeks ago and then placed on injured reserve last week. It’s a virtual certainty he will be cut or traded after the season. It was just three years ago that Kaepernick came within one play of winning the Super Bowl. He has tremendous athletic ability, a rocket arm, but has struggled transitioning from the read option to a traditional drop back passer. The Jets would have to restructure his contract, but he’s only 28 years old and would be worth giving up the same No. 2 pick the 49ers used to draft him.

The list of free agents next year is proof that rarely do valuable quarterbacks make it to the open market: Kirk Cousins (I think Washington will re-sign him) and Sam Bradford are the best of a bad bunch. Washington is expected to cut Robert Griffin III. I thought he would be a good pickup for the Jets at the trade deadline after Fitzpatrick was injured, but I would not build a team around him.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Colin Kaepernick could be an option for the Jets.MICHAEL B. THOMAS/GETTY IMAGES

Colin Kaepernick could be an option for the Jets.

CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP: GET THE DAILY NEWS ON ANDROID & iOS

The Jets, of course, have been searching for a quarterback since Joe Willie Namath. They’ve drafted four QBs in the first round: Richard Todd, Ken O’Brien, Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington. They’ve brought in big-name veterans: Boomer Esiason, Neil O’Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Brett Favre and Michael Vick. They’ve drafted QBs after the first round: Matt Robinson, Browning Nagle, Kellen Clemens and now Petty.

Super Bowl titles since Namath: 0

Super Bowl appearances since Namath: 0

Total Super Bowl appearances and victories in the first 49 Super Bowls: 1

Now more than ever the NFL is a quarterback league. If a cornerback even looks at a wide receiver the wrong way, he gets called for illegal use of eyes…rather pass interference. So, the rules are set up for an elite quarterback to put up big numbers.

The problem for the Jets: They don’t have one.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy is really poorly informed for a journalist. Kaepernick is going to get cut, there's no need to trade for him. Trading a 2nd rounder would be stupid.

If you trade for Brees and his massive deal, it's going to eat up the majority of the cap room to improve the rest of the team. Same goes for Stafford. This team has many holes and trading draft picks for a 37 year old QB is ill advised.

Stafford I just don't think is very good. Maybe he could improve here with a better o-line and run game. I'm just not sure how much. He has more  picks than Fitz this year. 

Im not all in for Brees I'm all in for the Jets having a franchise QB 

They have already started clearing cap space when they let Coples go.

We're all hopeful for a franchise QB. None of the guys mentioned in this article are that. 

Coples being gone helps. Cro will be gone. They will renegotiate Brick. Others will be cut. You have to replace those guys. They'll be looking for another starting guard next season. A starting corner. Linebackers galore. Running back has no one under contract for next season. Oh. And Mo Wilk will cost 14 million to tag. So, yeah. They'll have money to spend but they need more than just a QB. 

Brees is done.

Trading for a QB who will be 37 doesn't work. Kapernick is going to be cut, so if they want him it won't be hard to do. But the step backward he is taking should give the Jets pause. It's either Petty comes through and/or draft another QB. 

Exactly if the Jets had a QB playing at Brees level we would be a SB contender for real that is the difference in having a top flight QB...

Folks say Brees is done but think Fitz has been just great so far...

While Brees may not be done taking a chance on him is putting all our eggs in the basket, sort of like we did with Favre. What this team desperately needs is a QB who can man the spot for a decade , someone who the team can build around. 

Exactly if the Jets had a QB playing at Brees level we would be a SB contender for real that is the difference in having a top flight QB...

Folks say Brees is done but think Fitz has been just great so far...

Can we stop with this nonsense already?  We're not a good team that just needs a game manager qb

Brees is done, has never been nearly as effective outside a dome, and his cap number next season is insane.

Wow. I'm shocked. The first few posts are all about how Drew Brees Colin Kapernick and Matt Stafford are terrible. 

Mod unless the jets draft a qb who makes $600k a year under team control for 3 more years and wins a super bowl his first year , then they are considered terrible. 

Thus always proving the point that most jet fans are just obnoxious and no matter what will never be happy. 

Haha don't want drew brees or Matt Stafford because of cap space.  Dumbest argument I've ever heard. 

While Brees may not be done taking a chance on him is putting all our eggs in the basket, sort of like we did with Favre. What this team desperately needs is a QB who can man the spot for a decade , someone who the team can build around. 

so you mean all we gotta do is get one of those young franchise qbs who can play for at least the next decade? Wtf, why didn't maccagnan think of this? So that's our off season plan! ! I'm so excited, all this team needs to do is go pick up a young franchise qb. I hope maccagnan knows this and picks one up!!! Who is the young, elite franchise qb we should go get??

Will be interesting to see if the Ravens want to part ways with Flacco. I think Flacco would be the best option for us in free agency if he became available and the Ravens might go into rebuild mode and draft a new QB with their top ten pick.

The Ravens are one of the lucky teams to have a franchise QB. I agree they may start a rebuild, but it would be based around Flacco, not without him. 

Brees is the man.  I'd be happy with him even at 37, 38 and possibly 39.

We'd all love home grown talent, but they don't grow on trees.  Doesn't sound like Petty will be ready next season.  The team seems to have given up on Geno (otherwise why start a mediocre Fitz?).  

So yeah, next best thing.  Bring in a classy vet and hopefully groom Petty and/or some other young guy for a couple years.  At least Brees gives some meaning to the final years of Mangold, Brick, Revis, Harris, Marshall...

i wish the jets could one day have a qb as "finished" as brees playing for them. Seriously.....brees would be the best qb this team ever had....even at 47 years old

Brees is a shadow of his former self. The jets are in rebuild mode. Need to find and develop a young stud. If jets were close this yr, it may have made sense. They are still a half dozen players away.

The Jets do not need a old weak arm QB with a high salary, "WE TRYED IT ONCE BEFORE AND IT DID NOT WORK OUT TOO GOOD",I LIKE to get one of the young QB's 

I'd put money on Brees being able to still have a better deep ball (40+ yds) when he's 39 than half the qbs playing now.  When he's 50, he'll still throw 40+ than Fitz throws 25+ now.

Brees is a shadow of his former self. The jets are in rebuild mode. Need to find and develop a young stud. If jets were close this yr, it may have made sense. They are still a half dozen players away.

no....the jet really aren't that far off. You know what would have made us an instant contender? A real quarterback. 

i wish the jets could one day have a qb as "finished" as brees playing for them. Seriously.....brees would be the best qb this team ever had....even at 47 years old

I love all the "forget brees, I want one of those young stud qbs to build around" . Like ummmm, no sh*t sherlock. Too bad there are virtually almost none of those around. If we can get brees on this team and actually compete for a championship for a couple years while we try to find a young franchise qb them that's a great plan. I guess they'd just rather watch the jets suck year in and year out while we are in a perpetual rebuild. 

The Jets do not need a old weak arm QB with a high salary, "WE TRYED IT ONCE BEFORE AND IT DID NOT WORK OUT TOO GOOD",I LIKE to get one of the young QB's 

you're right. I'm so much happier watching our slightly younger, much less talented, weaker armed qb lose games for us. That few million less we are paying him is making me very happy

I love all the "forget brees, I want one of those young stud qbs to build around" . Like ummmm, no sh*t sherlock. Too bad there are virtually almost none of those around. If we can get brees on this team and actually compete for a championship for a couple years while we try to find a young franchise qb them that's a great plan. I guess they'd just rather watch the jets suck year in and year out while we are in a perpetual rebuild. 

Unreal.  

this year would have made sense if cap able. Next year not so much, unless revis gives back $10M

we have a few guys to cut and restructure to give us plenty of room next year. No one was available this year. If we have a chance to get a qb for the next couple years that is one of the best then we should do it. It gives us a window of a couple years to possibly find the young stud to groom. Can brees get hurt? Sure. Fitz got hurt, Flacco hurt etc etc. Difference is brees is a great qb when healthy. It's football, sh*t happens. Young stud qbs are so rare and are virtually impossible to find. 

we've been in rebuild mode for 3 decades.  When in reality we just simply haven't had a QB.  When you have a QB you're never rebuilding.  And when you don't you're always rebuilding   

If you have a chance to get a QB that can win - even if he's older and even if it's for a year or two, you do it.  

You can still continue to draft QB's.  No QB=rebuilding, good QB=continual contention

we've been in rebuild mode for 3 decades.  When in reality we just simply haven't had a QB.  When you have a QB you're never rebuilding.  And when you don't you're always rebuilding   

If you have a chance to get a QB that can win - even if he's older and even if it's for a year or two, you do it.  

You can still continue to draft QB's.  No QB=rebuilding, good QB=continual contention

I have seen Brees play many times this yr and for the most part he has been bad. Had a couple of very good games, Not worth $18M a yr and with Revis getting $16M, makes no sense.

Archived