Jets need to get Drew Brees if the Saints make him available

joewilly12

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so you mean all we gotta do is get one of those young franchise qbs who can play for at least the next decade? Wtf, why didn't maccagnan think of this? So that's our off season plan! ! I'm so excited, all this team needs to do is go pick up a young franchise qb. I hope maccagnan knows this and picks one up!!! Who is the young, elite franchise qb we should go get??

Sure its not easy , but there's 1 thing I'm sure of , if we keep wasting our time with washed up Vets and Jags like Fitz we'll never develop an NFL franchise QB..

The D has been bad as of late slow LBs and a very questionable secondary and no pass rush not a Super Bowl wining D by far. 

You are 100% correct but I'm just holding on to the mirage we were promised in preseason as a coping mechanism.  Please play along with me on this.  We have an '85 Bears, '00 Ravens type D here.  

RIIIGHT?

We need 2 new starting LBs, 2 new offensive lineman, a running back who can do something, a new punter, about 5 new ST guys.  I think we draft another QB next year and try to develop him as well as Petty.  We are going to cut some guys to make some room, but I do not see us having enough cap space to handle one of these older, overpaid guys.

Here's what I still don't get  - I read here that Brees is still great, a top QB, and if you have on of those you can always compete, while he helps groom your QB of the future.

If that's so ... why would New Orleans consider getting rid of him? Who's going to groom their QB of the future? Why are they not competitive with him on their team?

If he'd be so great for us, surely he should be equally great for his current team?

Here's what I still don't get  - I read here that Brees is still great, a top QB, and if you have on of those you can always compete, while he helps groom your QB of the future.

If that's so ... why would New Orleans consider getting rid of him? Who's going to groom their QB of the future? Why are they not competitive with him on their team?

If he'd be so great for us, surely he should be equally great for his current team?

new orleans is a hell of alot worse off than the jets are. their defense is a complete mess. shawn payton is assumed to be leaving. they are in need of a real rebuild and drew is their best chip. they will also be over the cap. no one knows they will make drew available for sure. its very possible they keep him. we are just saying IF they make him available we should make a real attempt to get him. as far as being competitive, drew is the reason they have even won any games. their defense is atrocious......drew has to put up 40 points just for them to have a chance

except brees isn't washed up yet. 

Playing QB roulette with pricey aging vets is just going make a mess of the cap again and most likely force the Jets to give away valuable draft picks. Although its unpopular with many, the Jets need to stay the course that Idzik set in motion by purging $$ and aging vets(Pace, Cro, Cumby, Brick??) and buidling a young team that can grow together. In that mindset if they are going to play QB roulette play it with young drafted Qb's until they find one that pays off. Hell even deal rostered players and extra picks to move up for one that has potential, but by all means don't look for the quick fix Vet with the big name and albatross price tag , all that's doing is perpetuating the cycle. 

new orleans is a hell of alot worse off than the jets are. their defense is a complete mess. shawn payton is assumed to be leaving. they are in need of a real rebuild and drew is their best chip. they will also be over the cap. no one knows they will make drew available for sure. its very possible they keep him. we are just saying IF they make him available we should make a real attempt to get him. as far as being competitive, drew is the reason they have even won any games. their defense is atrocious......drew has to put up 40 points just for them to have a chance

Even though I think it would be incredibly unfair to fire Bowles, I'd do it in a heartbeat if we could get Sean Payton as HC of the NYJ.  In fact, I'd almost prefer Payton over Brees.  Though getting Payton AND Brees might be our best chance for short-term success, as we'd have a coach and QB instantly on the same page.  Plus we'd finally have an "offensive focus" as a team (which is almost a requirement for success in today's arena-league like NFL).

Brees has an insane cap # next season that would make it impossible for the Saints to rebuild.

I don't think Brees would be very good outside of a dome full-time like he would be here.  Would he be better than any other crap qb?  Yeah but I think he has a $19.5 million salary plus a $7million bonus.  He's not worth that

In the beginning of the year, I was all for Brees. Now, ehh, not so much. I don't think this team is going to win a SB with Brees the way its constructed now, there are too many holes. I think they would be better off at this point trying to rebuild the right way, draft a QB and hope that the drafted QB or Petty can develop into the guy.

If we were Brees away from being a real contender, I would be all for it, I dont' think we are.

Even though I think it would be incredibly unfair to fire Bowles, I'd do it in a heartbeat if we could get Sean Payton as HC of the NYJ.  In fact, I'd almost prefer Payton over Brees.  Though getting Payton AND Brees might be our best chance for short-term success, as we'd have a coach and QB instantly on the same page.  Plus we'd finally have an "offensive focus" as a team (which is almost a requirement for success in today's arena-league like NFL).

idk if I'd be able to stomach payton constantly putting our best rb on the bench to give some other scrub carries for some arbitrary, stupid reason

Playing QB roulette with pricey aging vets is just going make a mess of the cap again and most likely force the Jets to give away valuable draft picks. Although its unpopular with many, the Jets need to stay the course that Idzik set in motion by purging $$ and aging vets(Pace, Cro, Cumby, Brick??) and buidling a young team that can grow together. In that mindset if they are going to play QB roulette play it with young drafted Qb's until they find one that pays off. Hell even deal rostered players and extra picks to move up for one that has potential, but by all means don't look for the quick fix Vet with the big name and albatross price tag , all that's doing is perpetuating the cycle. 

We've already deviated far from that course with the likes of Cro, who you mentioned. Pace and Cumberland aren't even expensive. What are they, $2M apiece? For all we know, Cumberland would have already been cut if Amaro was able to play. Pace, also, wasn't a bad re-signing. The idea is to sign a veteran cheap (like Pace) in case his younger replacement is so terrible you can't have him on the field. Then after the season, Pace can be cut with no anxiety over whether his replacement can handle the job. Problem isn't Pace's compensation; it's that Pace is getting too much playing time.

Brick has to go, but the problem is one of chicken and egg variety. To get a rookie that can be expected to fill in right away and not get a QB killed, we'd probably have to use our top pick (certainly no later than our 2nd pick). I hate forcing our hand that way. But the flip-side to that is the team wouldn't invest a pick in a high-level LT prospect unless there was a gaping hole there. Problem is Brick's contract calls for so much in pre-draft bonus money, it makes it unlikely for us to keep Ferguson just to get us through the draft as insurance, and if we do take a LT high, then cut him. It's possible, and may even be the best course of action if you can stand the stench of that waste, but I don't think it's likely to happen. 

Bowles and Geno for Payton and Brees.  Throw in DBRrck and Harris  Make it happen Maccaroni. 

In signing a vet QB not so much, at any other position I agree. Good money on the very short term for a vet QB is fine and will not cripple you. Also allows you to draft to fill out your roster, and not have to start a rookie QB and actually develope one. I am not even talking 3-4 years of development; go for 1-3 years of sitting one and you should know what you have to make a decisino to move forward or not.

QB development is a lost art at a time when the position has never had as much riding on it as does now. Also not to mention, at a time when a majority of younger QBs are not learning the same game that is played in the NFL. The business is really running the game and the impatience grows.

I'd rather spend more on a proven stud than spend less on a proven dud.

Brees is HOF bound, doesn't need any coaching. He upgrades the team, elevates others around him.

JAGs spend their entire careers trying to learn their craft and never do.

Because of them sandbagging the team you don't get full value from other players' hefty contracts.

The whole team is handcuffed and held hostage by a sucky QB.

He ends up costing more than just his salary.

you like 22 million contract ,it is salary cap hell

Salary cap hell?  Until we find a non-POS QB, we're in total-salary-flush-down-toilet hell.  Every dollar spent is a waste.  We're also in waste-great-players'-careers hell.  As any good players we have waste away their careeres playing meaningless games year in and year out.  

I'd expect some sort of restructure from Brees.  But even if not...  YES.  I happily risk him turning to absolute $hit and what you call salary cap hell. Because our current hell is much much worse.

Salary cap hell?  Until we find a non-POS QB, we're in total-salary-flush-down-toilet hell.  Every dollar spent is a waste.  We're also in waste-great-players'-careers hell.  As any good players we have waste away their careeres playing meaningless games year in and year out.  

I'd expect some sort of restructure from Brees.  But even if not...  YES.  I happily risk him turning to absolute $hit and what you call salary cap hell. Because our current hell is much much worse.

right now we are in absolutely no forseeable chance at a superbowl hell

I'd like to think there's a way around it, but if needed I'd let Wilk walk to get Brees here.  Alternative is chatting on this board a few years from now saying "man we better hurry up and find a qb cause our core players like Wilk aren't getting any younger".  Just like we have been for years regarding Mangold, Brick and Harris.  Without a QB in today's game, it doesn't matter what else ya have.  

We could bring in Watt and have the best defensive line the NFL has ever seen, yet still end up 6-10.  Bring in a top QB, you could have gaping holes on D, yet still potentially get 11+ wins.

I keep hearing the talking heads down in Miami saying Payton will be the next head coach of the Fins as the FO feels he can be a perfect  fit with Tannehill. Whether that happens is another thing.

Gary Meyers Daily News wrote this article 

The Jets desperately need a quarterback. Has anybody seen that movie over the last 40 years?

It didn’t take Ryan Fitzpatrick digging up worms with passes nosediving into the turf against the Bills or two late interceptions in the loss to the Texans to come to this conclusion: He is what he is.

What is that? He’s a journeyman quarterback good enough to start for six different teams but bad enough that none of the first five wanted to keep him.

He is what Bill Parcells calls a “hold the fort guy,” meaning someone who will keep things respectable until GM Mike Maccagnan finds a short-term fix to take over a win-now team or a long-term solution who can provide stability for the next 8-10 years. Geno Smith is a “pack your bags guy,” meaning he will not be around next season.

HOW DOES GENO SMITH STACK UP AGAINST OTHER NFL BACKUPS?

There are three intriguing offseason scenarios for the Jets that include Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford and Colin Kaepernick:

— If the Saints make him available, go get Brees. I like this scenario the best for the Jets: Trade for Brees and draft a quarterback in the first round in the 2016 draft. There could be a complete rebuild in New Orleans after the season starting with Sean Payton moving. The Saints will find a team willing to trade for Brees if he agrees to a restructured contract or they could cut him if he won’t take a salary reduction to facilitate a trade. Brees is scheduled to make $19.75 million next season in the final year of his contract. He will be 37 in January; he had a shoulder issue a few weeks ago that forced him to miss his first game due to injury since he had shoulder surgery after the 2005 season. But since coming back, he tied the NFL record with seven TD passes earlier this month against the Giants. He has 20 TDs, nine INTs and is completing 69.5%.

— Brees would be the perfect mentor if the Jets use their first-round pick on a quarterback. They will likely be picking in the middle of the round. Although there is no quarterback expected to go first overall, Cal’s Jared Goff is likely to go into the offseason evaluation process as the No. 1 prospect. Other QBs who should go in either the first or second round: Paxton Lynch (Memphis), Connor Cook (Michigan State), Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) and Cardale Jones (Ohio State). If the Jets can get the right rookie next year, or if they decide Bryce Petty has potential and he’s their QB for 2017, then Brees can play the role Kurt Warner played for Giants. Warner babysat Eli Manning for the first nine games of his rookie year until Tom Coughlin made the switch.

MYERS’ BOOK REVEALS UNTOLD STORY OF BRADY VS. MANNING

Back page of the New York Daily News for November 25, 2015 with Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints - GET DAT GUY!NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

If the Saints are going to make Drew Brees available, the Jets have to GET DAT GUY!

I think Brees still has plenty left and may look at the Jets as a team ready to win with him at quarterback. He can also set himself up for post-career opportunities, especially in television, by playing in New York.

Brees has become an integral part of the post-Katrina community in New Orleans and if the Saints get rid of him, it will be an unpopular move. But it might be the best football move to free up cap space.

— The Lions, who finally are playing well, certainly will have a new GM and new coach after the season, which could lead to the departure of underachieving quarterback Matthew Stafford. He has a terrific arm — he had 41 TDs in 2011 — and he’s only 27 years old. He’s making $17 million next year and $16.5 million in 2017. In the right situation, he can be a big-time player. He’s more of a long-term answer than Brees, but I wouldn’t give up the Jets first-round pick for him. I would give up second- and fifth-round picks.

NFL AND THANKSGIVING: THE 5 MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENTS

— Kaepernick’s regressed last year and fell apart this season. The breakup between the Niners and Jim Harbaugh left Kaepernick without his mentor and he’s been lost without him. He was benched a couple of weeks ago and then placed on injured reserve last week. It’s a virtual certainty he will be cut or traded after the season. It was just three years ago that Kaepernick came within one play of winning the Super Bowl. He has tremendous athletic ability, a rocket arm, but has struggled transitioning from the read option to a traditional drop back passer. The Jets would have to restructure his contract, but he’s only 28 years old and would be worth giving up the same No. 2 pick the 49ers used to draft him.

The list of free agents next year is proof that rarely do valuable quarterbacks make it to the open market: Kirk Cousins (I think Washington will re-sign him) and Sam Bradford are the best of a bad bunch. Washington is expected to cut Robert Griffin III. I thought he would be a good pickup for the Jets at the trade deadline after Fitzpatrick was injured, but I would not build a team around him.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Colin Kaepernick could be an option for the Jets.MICHAEL B. THOMAS/GETTY IMAGES

Colin Kaepernick could be an option for the Jets.

CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP: GET THE DAILY NEWS ON ANDROID & iOS

The Jets, of course, have been searching for a quarterback since Joe Willie Namath. They’ve drafted four QBs in the first round: Richard Todd, Ken O’Brien, Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington. They’ve brought in big-name veterans: Boomer Esiason, Neil O’Donnell, Vinny Testaverde, Brett Favre and Michael Vick. They’ve drafted QBs after the first round: Matt Robinson, Browning Nagle, Kellen Clemens and now Petty.

Super Bowl titles since Namath: 0

Super Bowl appearances since Namath: 0

Total Super Bowl appearances and victories in the first 49 Super Bowls: 1

Now more than ever the NFL is a quarterback league. If a cornerback even looks at a wide receiver the wrong way, he gets called for illegal use of eyes…rather pass interference. So, the rules are set up for an elite quarterback to put up big numbers.

The problem for the Jets: They don’t have one.

hey maybe you should compare what Brees is doing this week against the Texans resurgent defense and what Fitz did last week. The 2 ints late by Fitz were in desperation mode but he played well enough to win Brees is just sucking . Then when you're done making that comparison look at Ftiz game this week and we still have 6 drops

hey maybe you should compare what Brees is doing this week against the Texans resurgent defense and what Fitz did last week. The 2 ints late by Fitz were in desperation mode but he played well enough to win Brees is just sucking . Then when you're done making that comparison look at Ftiz game this week and we still have 6 drops

You're the kind of guy who says he always bets on red at a blackjack table. You rationalize the decision when it comes up black and yell "See? SEE?!?!?!" when it's red. You did the same thing for years with Sanchez it seemed every time the guy completed a pass.

Geno Smith had a perfect game against the Dolphins last year. He still blows anyway. Just enjoy the game & whooping the Fins' asses instead of I Told You So's about a guy who merely sucks less than Geno. I am.

You're the kind of guy who says he always bets on red at a blackjack table. You rationalize the decision when it comes up black and yell "See? SEE?!?!?!" when it's red. You did the same thing for years with Sanchez it seemed every time the guy completed a pass.

Geno Smith had a perfect game against the Dolphins last year. He still blows anyway. Just enjoy the game & whooping the Fins' asses instead of I Told You So's about a guy who merely sucks less than Geno. I am.

I said Fitz Sucks you know it was a joke ...you're putting out I told you so's for me and you're also making sh*t up that I said in the past. As for Geno I always hated him and he does suck so you can take his perfect game and stick it.

Your evaluation of QB's is half assed ..you never look at the entire picture. A team plays a bad game and you expect the QB to win the game single handedly and that's short sighted sh*t IMHO.

Fitz has had some bad moments but so has every other QB in the NFL hes not the kind of QB to take teams back from large deficits because our offense is not built that way. We have no burners we have not threats out of the back field and our field position ST's absolutely suck. We are a ball control offense not because of Fitz but because of the way we are built once you realize that you will begin to understand its not the QB that's not built for comebacks its the entire offense.

I said Fitz Sucks you know it was a joke ...you're putting out I told you so's for me and you're also making sh*t up that I said in the past. As for Geno I always hated him and he does suck so you can take his perfect game and stick it.

Your evaluation of QB's is half assed ..you never look at the entire picture. A team plays a bad game and you expect the QB to win the game single handedly and that's short sighted sh*t IMHO.

Fitz has had some bad moments but so has every other QB in the NFL hes not the kind of QB to take teams back from large deficits because our offense is not built that way. We have no burners we have not threats out of the back field and our field position ST's absolutely suck. We are a ball control offense not because of Fitz but because of the way we are built once you realize that you will begin to understand its not the QB that's not built for comebacks its the entire offense.

I look at more than you do. Fitzpatrick is only as good as his WRs are. Or more correctly, only as good as his primary read is, because he never looks at a second WR or even shifts his gaze off his primary read.

He's having a great game. Just enjoy it.

Archived