Bowles -I will say it

JohnnyLV

From what I have seen so far, I am extremely unimpressed with Bowles on pretty much all levels.

He was a breath of fresh air after Rex and said all the right things in camp about balance, adjusting to the players on the roster. etc...

I like the Gailey hire as I thought he could install an offense that would really work for our QB and be simpler from a reads standpoint and allow the team to play fast.

I really liked the matchup zone we played the first few weeks. The blending of zone and man coverage principles worked well and generated a lot of initial turnovers.

But we were fresh and new to the NFL. And once there was tape out there teams adjusted to the way we play on both sides of the ball. They have found ways to exploit the matchup zone, and to bury our slow inside linebackers. They learned that we cannot really rush with 4 effectively, and learned the big nickel blitzes Bowles loves and neutralized them. They learned to have less than zero fear of Fitz and completely shut our running game down, knowing there is essentially no way for Fitz to lead the Jets to victory in the air.

All that is to be expected at some level. The NFL is a game of adjustments made game to game as teams learn and adapt to the way each team plays.

But what is Bowles adjustment? Pretty much nothing,

1. The team is not balanced and Arians had no effect on the way Bowles approaches football. Bowles is yet another head coach that seemingly wants to play 90s football., but it is not working and he will not change. Every week we come out super conservative, especially on 1st and 2nd down until we are behind and then we have a terrible QB trying to catch us up through the air.

2. The defensive scheme is not working. Matchup zone is not working, he has done nothing to help the LBs out in coverage, and worst he has stuck with a 4-3 alignment since Sheldon came back which clearly does not work

3. He is a terrible situational coach

4. He makes no adjustments at half time

5. Our teams NEVER look prepared

6. He is yet another super stubborn coach on personnel. He defiantly sticks with Cro, Fitz, and refuses to use Kerley. He sticks with the 4-3, He plays Pace almost exclusively over Mauldin who is outplaying him. Reilly never gets time.

7. Cutting Coples was a useless and meaningless "warning"

I could go on but in sum he is right now a terrible head coach,

In my mind he has 6 games to show he can adjust to the NFL. If we continue to slide and wind up with 6 or 7 wins this season, I fire him and move on. 

I am all for stability at the HC position, but I have already seen enough that if we do not see immediate improvement, I would not cripple the team by giving him 2 or 3 more years to fail. Cut bait and make a new hire. Learn from the mistakes that have been made in hiring a HC, and hire a HC that will actually play 2015 NFL football.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Gailey hire as I thought he could install an offense that would really work for our QB and be simpler from a reads standpoint and allow the team to play fast.

Gailey has been a major reason this offense is so bad,they have played far from fast every time they try to go no huddle they look confused. 

terrible is not accurate.  He blew 2-3 games out of 10. 

I can't find it, but I have vivid recollection of a training camp article where he was asked how much time he spent planning his sideline strategy and philosophy as he was now the HC and man in charge.

His response was essentially "none, as I believe experience is the best teacher"

he will have to learn every lesson the hard way.  what remains to be seen is if he survives it

Gailey has been a major reason this offense is so bad,they have played far from fast every time they try to go no huddle they look confused. 

Honestly I am so sick of this whining on the coaching staff.  How about holding the damn players accountable with their dropped passes? If Smith & Marshall hold on to crucial passes maybe we have a different turnout on Sunday

I will make a constructive suggestion to Gailey...how about tossing a couple of short passes to Smith to get his confidence back? A quick out or a WR screen, an easy catch to get him rolling again.

Shocked that a first time HC with a team without a franchise QB and a lot of holes isn't dominating the league.  He should just go to Staples and get and push the easy button.

I remember a few games when he clearly adjusted at half-time.  In fact, the 3rd Quarter has been some of the best of the Jets.  The QB and team isn't built to come back big from behind, so if the fall behind, they are hard pressed to catch up.

As far as Kerley goes, it is the OC (whom you like) that had reduced his role, not Bowels.  Kerley is a good WR, and yes he wouldn't drop the long bomb like Devin did, but of course he isn't fast enough to get that open deep.

You say he shouldn't play vets and give the youngster the chance, but then knock him for releasing Coples (most likely a Macc decision and a cap decision for next year).

Bowels had made his share of mistakes, but we should def. fire him in the off season; this way over the next 5 years we can have 5 head coaches.  Actually, if we fired him 2 games ago, we can have 2 rookie HC every year and have the chance at 10 HC a year until we find the next Cowher (who btw took a century to win the SB and didn't do it until he had a real QB).

How good or bad Gailey has been, as with most players/coaches comes down to what your expectations were.  I thought with Fitz/Gailey the Jets would be 10th in PPG at best and 15th at worst.  Right now they're 13th so I'm fine with how he's done.

Has he had some stinkers and head-scratchers?  Absolutely...but it's not nearly as frequent as previous OC's IMO.

Honestly I am so sick of this whining on the coaching staff.  How about holding the damn players accountable with their dropped passes? If Smith & Marshall hold on to crucial passes maybe we have a different turnout on Sunday

I will make a constructive suggestion to Gailey...how about tossing a couple of short passes to Smith to get his confidence back? A quick out or a WR screen, an easy catch to get him rolling again.

If Marshall and Smith hold on to those passes, what is Fitz looking at?  Another 150ish yds and at least one more TD?  All that while under heavy pressure from JJ Watt.  Fitz wasn't great on Sunday by any stretch, but he was far from the team's biggest issue.

If Marshall and Smith hold on to those passes, what is Fitz looking at?  Another 150ish yds and at least one more TD?  All that while under heavy pressure from JJ Watt.  Fitz wasn't great on Sunday by any stretch, but he was far from the team's biggest issue.

Horseshiit...he was terrible and he is so limited that it forces the Jets to essentially be perfect on offense.

also

he claims to be an executive HC that oversees the whole team.  I don't think I have seen him with a play sheet calling plays

Kacy Rodgers and Chan Gailey deserve some criticism for what you are nailing Bowles for

In each loss the Jets were down 2 scores late in the game. And in each case NOBODY said to the offense run the hurry up, shake your ass, get in gear MOVE. In 2015 NFL, that is unacceptable. Doesn't appear Gailey does much but run his plays. Mismatches aren't exploited, dangerous players like Watt last week don't seem to get defensed, running plays espeically take forever.Does this old f__ watch tape? Is there any quality control going on? Looks like this old guy does what ever he wants.  When your OL is banged up, delayed handoffs make no sense.Thought hiring hack Chan Gailey for a defense-oriented coach was a major mistake, and so far the awfulness of the offense has made that opinion  a fact. 

Belichick's career was saved by Mo Lewis.  He was 5-11 in 2000 and started 1-3 in 2001.

Well some Pat fan friends of mine who watched Brady in camp in 2000-2001 said it was only a matter of time until he became a starter.. Mo just helped make that a bit sooner..

Well some Pat fan friends of mine who watched Brady in camp in 2000-2001 said it was only a matter of time untill he became a starter.. Mo just helped make that a bit sooner..

I remember that time well.

Brady absolutely outplayed Bledsoe during training camp and pre-season that year. All the media and fans were pretty much split on who should start the season (like a complete dumbass, I was in the Bledsoe camp).

Like Savage said, at some point during that season, Brady would have been named the starter.

All Mo Lewis did was move up the timetable.

Managing early success is a difficult job for any coach, much less a rookie. Look at Bowles and Dan Quinn right now. IMO, the best thing that can happen for this team right now is Fitzpatrick playing himself to the bench and Petty getting the last 4-5 starts to show a little something. Get the 8th or 9th overall pick, draft some speed and another QB, go into the offseason where you can dump some trash holdovers, and start the rebuild in earnest. This nonsense of trying to ride Fitz and Ivory to the 8th seed is a waste of time.

How good or bad Gailey has been, as with most players/coaches comes down to what your expectations were.  I thought with Fitz/Gailey the Jets would be 10th in PPG at best and 15th at worst.  Right now they're 13th so I'm fine with how he's done.

Has he had some stinkers and head-scratchers?  Absolutely...but it's not nearly as frequent as previous OC's IMO.

And if one wants to be fair Chan has had more to work with.. Decker was hurt last year and Fitz is a bit of a upgrade over Gee-No.. The Jets were 14th in 2011 PPG and that was with the Butt Fumbler..

In my mind he has 6 games to show he can adjust to the NFL. If we continue to slide and wind up with 6 or 7 wins this season, I fire him and move on

I am all for stability at the HC position, but I have already seen enough that if we do not see immediate improvement, I would not cripple the team by giving him 2 or 3 more years to fail. Cut bait and make a new hire. Learn from the mistakes that have been made in hiring a HC, and hire a HC that will actually play 2015 NFL football.

I can't stop laughing.  

His act is getting old. It is one thing to have no fire when your team goes on a 4-1 streak. Follow it up with 1-4 and you act like there's no fire under you? I don't believe in this guy.

Where is the pass rush? He's had 3 top level defensive linemen for each game this season and he can't get a damn pass rush going? 1 sack on TJ Yates, seriously?

Why were guys like Zac Stacy returning kicks?

What's with throwing up the white flag with 2 minutes and 3 timeouts left in a half?

And if one wants to be fair Chan has had more to work with.. Decker was hurt last year and Fitz is a bit of a upgrade over Gee-No.. The Jets were 14th in 2011 PPG and that was with the Butt Fumbler..

Fans can make all the excuses they want but it doesn't change the fact that they're a perennial basement dweller on offense no matter who the QB/HC/WR/TE's are.  Only time this offense has been a real threat was when they had a HOF HC, HOF QB or an elite rushing attack.  They do not have a HOF HC or QB yet they're a few dropped TD's from being a top-10 offense.  I'll take it.

Well some Pat fan friends of mine who watched Brady in camp in 2000-2001 said it was only a matter of time until he became a starter.. Mo just helped make that a bit sooner..

Maybe so, but even the great BB wouldn't pull a struggling Bledsoe to put in the great Brady.  The point is that it is difficult to bench a veteran who has played well for a rookie/2nd year player (especially at QB); even when the veteran is struggling and the young player has looked good.  People always slammed Rex for playing veterans.  Now Bowles is accused of it.  It isn't easy to make that call (especially when the team is 4-2); so, let's not shoot the rookie HC for the same thing BB did.

I would guess eventually BB would have pulled the switch, but who knows, he may have waited until the playoffs were out of reach.

Maybe so, but even the great BB wouldn't pull a struggling Bledsoe to put in the great Brady.  The point is that it is difficult to bench a veteran who has played well for a rookie/2nd year player (especially at QB); even when the veteran is struggling and the young player has looked good.  People always slammed Rex for playing veterans.  Now Bowles is accused of it.  It isn't easy to make that call (especially when the team is 4-2); so, let's not shoot the rookie HC for the same thing BB did.

I would guess eventually BB would have pulled the switch, but who knows, he may have waited until the playoffs were out of reach.

If you followed what BB did with the Browns he pulled fan favorite Bernie Kosar for Vinny.. BB went 5-11 with Bledsoe in 2000 I don't think he was that crazy about a QB that was there during the Tuna  regime who he was trying to get away from and be his own man..

If you followed what BB did with the Browns he pulled fan favorite Bernie Kosar for Vinny.. BB went 5-11 with Bledsoe in 2000 I don't think he was that crazy about a QB that was there during the Tuna  regime who he was trying to get away from and be his own man..

Wasn't criticizing BB, was just saying it is hard to pull a proven vet for a younger player.  It takes either a while, or for the team to be desperate.  Trying to be fair to Jets coaches; they deserve their fair share of criticism, but that critique IMO isn't fair.  Had we set the vets and played the youngsters more, you hear stuff like Devin dropped the pass, where is Kerley.

This team comes out flat week after week and usually winds up playing come from behind football sometime that alters a game plan. Why is this? 

Because in a league where video game numbers are the norm, we don't have an offense that can consistently put up 30+ points a game.

Wasn't criticizing BB, was just saying it is hard to pull a proven vet for a younger player.  It takes either a while, or for the team to be desperate.  Trying to be fair to Jets coaches; they deserve their fair share of criticism, but that critique IMO isn't fair.  Had we set the vets and played the youngsters more, you hear stuff like Devin dropped the pass, where is Kerley.

Last time I saw Kerley he was on a milk carton..:D I haven't been critical of Bowles I agree he's in a learning phase.. Next year he's going to need a better showing IMO if he wants to keep being a NFL HC..

Archived