Breer sheds light on Coples release, reveals slanderous anti-Rex agenda

dbatesman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000588338/article/week-12-notebook-tom-bradys-rise-began-vs-peyton-manning

Jets' descent. The Jets' 4-1 start was nice, but the players and coaches in New York walked away from Sunday's loss in Houston with a clearer picture of where the program is headed than they ever could've gotten from the wins. Todd Bowles lit into the team postgame -- a scene that Muhammad Wilkerson detailed vividly to the New York Daily News on Tuesday -- leaving very little doubt about where he stood not just with their performance, but how accepting they'd been of failure. The truth is, the new regime saw a culture left behind that's probably best summed up in two words: "It's OK." As in, It's OK if we come up short this week or it's OK if things don't quite go our way. And Bowles' message was, frankly, that it's not OK. And he drove that home by cutting Quinton Coples, who was a card-carrying member of the old guard. So, what's next? Well, a strong finish wouldn't hurt. But this is about more than having the right attitude or being prepared or playing mistake-free on game day. The Jetsneed more players. The roster in place was never championship-worthy, and the expectation all along was that the issues in the middle of the roster created by years of shaky drafting eventually would catch up with the team. Consider that now, with Coples' release, the 2012 class is down to Demario Davis and Antonio Allen, two mediocre players who could be gone after this season, and two of only five players left from the team's 2009 through '12 drafts. The Jets did get the potentially great Sheldon Richardson in 2013 -- though his off-the-field issues remain concerning (Richardson served a four-game suspension at the beginning of this season and could face more punishment after a July arrestgoes through the court system in January) -- and solid starting safety Calvin Pryor in 2014. But those two years, with GM John Idzik commanding three first-round picks and 19 selections total, provided far too little quality of depth. So here the team is. There's a lot of work to do. Assuming they tag him, Wilkerson could be an interesting trade chip for the Jets to pursue a quarterback with in April. And they need numbers, so GM Mike Maccagnan, already down a pick (a conditional pick that'll be a sixth-rounder, headed to Houston for Ryan Fitzpatrick), is a good bet to try to accumulate more draft capital on the trade market. As for the kinds of guys the Jets will be looking to bring in? Bowles pretty much let the players know what they won't be looking for the other day.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think the team is in as dire of straits as this article seems to make it appear. yes the drafting the last half decade has been atrocious but we have some good players on the roster. biggest needs are obviously quarterback, followed by linebacker and o-line. we could also use a young stud rb

This is the kind of stuff that gives me hope for Bowles. He sure has made me scratch my head with some of the decisions he makes during games, but he seems to have the right mindset for changing the culture of this locker room to a professional one; and more importantly for being a successful head coach. Now he just needs to work on being all f-cky during games.

This is the kind of stuff that gives me hope for Bowles. He sure has made me scratch my head with some of the decisions he makes during games, but he seems to have the right mindset for changing the culture of this locker room to a professional one; and more importantly for being a successful head coach. Now he just needs to work on being all f-cky during games.

I think he's got the potential to improve in-game, so while it's frustrating now, I don't see it being a persistent problem over the next couple years.

I definitely think he's dealing with a ****ed up culture with this team. Everyone here has complained about "coming out flat". It has been a signature of the Jets for 4-6 years. He's trying to fix that. It doesn't happen overnight... but at least he seems aware of the it as a problem.

I think he's got the potential to improve in-game, so while it's frustrating now, I don't see it being a persistent problem over the next couple years.

I definitely think he's dealing with a ****ed up culture with this team. Everyone here has complained about "coming out flat". It has been a signature of the Jets for 4-6 years. He's trying to fix that. It doesn't happen overnight... but at least he seems aware of the it as a problem.

On the other hand I'm also wondering if my ability to evaluate anything is too jaded at this point. In terms of handling sh*t like this the bar that Bowles is working with is of a guy who used to cry amidst telling the players that he loved them; followed by waxing philosophical in front of the media about how he's very upset that they don't believe.

A better way of putting this is it's kind of like praising Wrath of Khan for being way better than Star Trek I. Yes, on its own it wound up being a classic, but in a comparative sense it wasn't going up against very much.

I have no issue with any of the decisions Todd Bowles has made since taking over as HC of the Jets. I may have done some things differently, but since I can rationalize why certain decisions were made and have a clear understanding as to why those decision were made, I see no reason to be overly Critical.

The handling of the team has been on point . Certain decisions I believe have been made because no plausible other option existed at the time.

It did when the Tuna took over the 1-15 Jets or Sparano took over the 1-15 Fins.. I still believe Bowles and Mac will turn out to be the right combo to get the Jets to the Bowl but the blame game for the former regime is getting beyond silly.. Bowles has had mini camp OTA's and training camp plus film to see what he has anyone that was not up to par should have been weeded out long ago..

It did when the Tuna took over the 1-15 Jets or Sparano took over the 1-15 Fins.. I still believe Bowles and Mac will turn out to be the right combo to get the Jets to the Bowl but the blame game for the former regime is getting beyond silly.. Bowles has had mini camp OTA's and training camp plus film to see what he has anyone that was not up to par should have been weeded out long ago..

Rex sucked and was given two extra years to ruin the team. If they let Kotite destroy the Jets for six years, it would have taken Parcells more time to fix it. Parcells is great. 

Rex sucked and was given two extra years to ruin the team. If they let Kotite destroy the Jets for six years, it would have taken Parcells more time to fix it. Parcells is great. 

Also worth noting that these sending-a-message cuts were usually done in-season with Parcells. That's kind of the point of them.

I think this team has some dumb players as well, players who can't pick up what Bowles scheme demands. His comment on Coples was telling IMO . Creating the culture he wants around this team will include dumping players that may shock us a bit lets just hope we get some decent picks out of the deal and re build this team with the character players Bowles wants and probably MAcc wants as well

Your problem is you hate Rex..LOL I understand fans didn't like his big mouth etc however even Parcell's needed a great season out of Vinny to make a AFCCG.. Rex went back to back AFCCG's with a rookie and 2nd year QB who most say sucked.. Hate all you want but he did what he did and you can't take that away..:)

Your problem is you hate Rex..LOL I understand fans didn't like his big mouth etc however even Parcell's needed a great season out of Vinny to make a AFCCG.. Rex went back to back AFCCG's with a rookie and 2nd year QB who most say sucked.. Hate all you want but he did what he did and you can't take that away..:)

Bobby Ross took Stan Humphries to the Super Bowl.

:nuclear mushroom gif.org:

On the other hand I'm also wondering if my ability to evaluate anything is too jaded at this point. In terms of handling sh*t like this the bar that Bowles is working with is of a guy who used to cry amidst telling the players that he loved them; followed by waxing philosophical in front of the media about how he's very upset that they don't believe.

A better way of putting this is it's kind of like praising Wrath of Khan for being way better than Star Trek I. Yes, on its own it wound up being a classic, but in a comparative sense it wasn't going up against very much.

It was never the players fault under Rex.  He would blubber at the presser that all the fault lay with Big Daddy.  I think it is good for Bowles to start calling guys out individually.  It is the only way to transit from the Fun House to Grown Up World.

Rex got there by inheriting the best Oline in the NFL & Bill Polian pulling probably the dumbest move in the history of the NFL believing you shouldn't try to win every game when your undefeated,lol. 1st play from scimmage after benching Manning for no apparent reason was a strip sack. I knew after time has passed people would forget how 2009 played out. We didn't win 2 games in a row I believe, we were the 1st team to rush for over 250 yards & LOSE THE GAME (Buffalo @ Home).

Then, after Rex biggest coaching win of his career, and Bart Scott exclaiming "Can't Wait", Rex went into Pittsburgh without a game plan & Tomlin ate his f*cking lunch in the 1st half by RUNNING IT DOWN OURTHROATS! I have no idea how a team playing for a chance to play for a Super Bowl berth can come out as flat as a pancake but I saw it with my own 2 eyes. That my friends is all about the coaches being ready....they weren't.

It was never the players fault under Rex.  He would blubber at the presser that all the fault lay with Big Daddy.  I think it is good for Bowles to start calling guys out individually.  It is the only way to transit from the Fun House to Grown Up World.

The key is Bowles is NOT calling out the players in public except for Devin Smith so it is an in house locker room matter as it should be.....

He is also not falsely saying guys are great when they are either poor or just average...big change.

Rex got there by inheriting the best Oline in the NFL & Bill Polian pulling probably the dumbest move in the history of the NFL believing you shouldn't try to win every game when your undefeated,lol. 1st play from scimmage after benching Manning for no apparent reason was a strip sack. I knew after time has passed people would forget how 2009 played out. We didn't win 2 games in a row I believe, we were the 1st team to rush for over 250 yards & LOSE THE GAME (Buffalo @ Home).

Then, after Rex biggest coaching win of his career, and Bart Scott exclaiming "Can't Wait", Rex went into Pittsburgh without a game plan & Tomlin ate his f*cking lunch in the 1st half by RUNNING IT DOWN OURTHROATS! I have no idea how a team playing for a chance to play for a Super Bowl berth can come out as flat as a pancake but I saw it with my own 2 eyes. That my friends is all about the coaches being ready....they weren't.

And the Tuna's Jets gave up 23 points in the 2nd half of the Denver AFCCG game and Davis ran for 167 yds and the Jets had 14 yds rushing..

Rex was loyal to a fault with his players, taking the heat for them in front of the press, and almost certainly coddling them too much in the locker room. It served him well his first two years, taking over for 'lil Il Duce, but not over time as the roster deteriorated (however large his role in that deterioration was). He got more out of year one of Idzik than could be expected, but with the second year of austerity he mailed it in. Winning a couple late games, seemingly, to pad his résumé. And the players were doing the same. Well before those wins, it was obvious that the team was in for a complete housekeeping, and they wanted to keep their jobs. 

The team Maccagnan and Bowles took over completely lacked direction. The players were used to being protected by their coach, and Ryan did too often seem satisfied with a "good loss," rather than demanding of a win. That is a culture that needs to be changed. 

We'll start to see how the cutting of Coples works to adjust that culture. I wasn't thrilled with the move. I think they could've gotten something for him in a trade over the offseason and, as the article states, the team can use as many picks/players as it can get. These last few weeks have been very disappointing, but I also knew the five takeaways a game of the first couple weeks wasn't sustainable. I still like Bowles overall. I like Maccagnan a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing them remake the team in their image. 

how many AFCCG's did Tuna get too

strange question ... unless it was saying getting to the AFCCG is best we can hope for as Jets fans, the joke either went over my head or wasn't funny

was he HC of Pats for 3 or 4 seasons? ... Then of course with Giants in NFC for about 8 years

his record was 3-1 in championship games & 2-1 in Super Bowl's in aprox 15 seasons

Rex was loyal to a fault with his players, taking the heat for them in front of the press, and almost certainly coddling them too much in the locker room. It served him well his first two years, taking over for 'lil Il Duce, but not over time as the roster deteriorated (however large his role in that deterioration was). He got more out of year one of Idzik than could be expected, but with the second year of austerity he mailed it in. Winning a couple late games, seemingly, to pad his résumé. And the players were doing the same. Well before those wins, it was obvious that the team was in for a complete housekeeping, and they wanted to keep their jobs. 

The team Maccagnan and Bowles took over completely lacked direction. The players were used to being protected by their coach, and Ryan did too often seem satisfied with a "good loss," rather than demanding of a win. That is a culture that needs to be changed. 

We'll start to see how the cutting of Coples works to adjust that culture. I wasn't thrilled with the move. I think they could've gotten something for him in a trade over the offseason and, as the article states, the team can use as many picks/players as it can get. These last few weeks have been very disappointing, but I also knew the five takeaways a game of the first couple weeks wasn't sustainable. I still like Bowles overall. I like Maccagnan a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing them remake the team in their image. 

These are the lyrics to a song that plays in my heart now 

Meh. I don't know what they were asking. If he gets the $7M or so he's currently due next year, I'd have to think they could've gotten a lousy 5th round pick for the guy. 

I dunno. The contract is bad, he needs a position change to be even minimally useful, and he needs to put on at least 20 pounds before he can make the position change. Plus he was tagged as a dog coming out of the draft and has done nothing whatsoever to shake that reputation. Even Rex called him out publicly for a lack of effort.

Meh. I don't know what they were asking. If he gets the $7M or so he's currently due next year, I'd have to think they could've gotten a lousy 5th round pick for the guy. 

Doubt it. The bar for 5th rounders appears to be women-beating malcontents with a propensity to drop balls in almost every spot that matters.

Archived