Breer sheds light on Coples release, reveals slanderous anti-Rex agenda

dbatesman

I dunno. The contract is bad, he needs a position change to be even minimally useful, and he needs to put on at least 20 pounds before he can make the position change. Plus he was tagged as a dog coming out of the draft and has done nothing whatsoever to shake that reputation. Even Rex called him out publicly for a lack of effort.

Doubt it. The bar for 5th rounders appears to be women-beating malcontents with a propensity to drop balls in almost every spot that matters.

Lol, like I said, I just wasn't thrilled with the move. I don't exactly have a strong opinion on the matter. If the Jets go on a winning streak, and Coples continues to underperform, then it'll look pretty genius. Obviously, that would be my preference. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It did when the Tuna took over the 1-15 Jets or Sparano took over the 1-15 Fins.. I still believe Bowles and Mac will turn out to be the right combo to get the Jets to the Bowl but the blame game for the former regime is getting beyond silly.. Bowles has had mini camp OTA's and training camp plus film to see what he has anyone that was not up to par should have been weeded out long ago..

you have to put some blame on them. the team wasnt very talented 

Meh. I don't know what they were asking. If he gets the $7M or so he's currently due next year, I'd have to think they could've gotten a lousy 5th round pick for the guy. 

I say beware of the Metha!!

He says is was well known in NFL circles but it was something he never reported!!

Rex sucked and was given two extra years to ruin the team. If they let Kotite destroy the Jets for six years, it would have taken Parcells more time to fix it. Parcells is great. 

That was a silly comparison of first time head coach Bowles and Parcells who was moving into his 3rd rebuild?  Do we want to compare Bowles to Gibbs return to the skins when he added Brunell and took them to the play-offs twice?

Bowles is a first time head coach who is going to make mistakes...like a rookie anything...but he can work on culture while he improves and matures as a HC.  He does have 100% control over that effort without worrying about learning on the job, but comparing him with hall of famers seems a bit silly.  Did we think we hired Bill Parcells when we hired Bowles?  By week 10 he'd be Parcells?

I can't stand Breer, but there's little in this article I can find fault with, so...

How about there being no evidence that Coples was cut for anything other than cap reasons, and that Bowles doesn't get to cut players anyway? Even Bowles said it wasn't a message-sending move. Coples was cut because if he gets injured in these last 6 games then his $8M salary for 2016 gets guaranteed.

i dont think the team is in as dire of straits as this article seems to make it appear. yes the drafting the last half decade has been atrocious but we have some good players on the roster. biggest needs are obviously quarterback, followed by linebacker and o-line. we could also use a young stud rb

Right - the D backfield and special teams define solid

Meh. I don't know what they were asking. If he gets the $7M or so he's currently due next year, I'd have to think they could've gotten a lousy 5th round pick for the guy. 

We gave up a "lousy" 5th round pick for Marshall. Marshall>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Coples. Coples is not worth a 5th rounder, in comparison.

Unless you want to say that Da Bears are just painfully stupid, and we fleeced the hell out of them, than that's a fair point.

How about there being no evidence that Coples was cut for anything other than cap reasons, and that Bowles doesn't get to cut players anyway? Even Bowles said it wasn't a message-sending move. Coples was cut because if he gets injured in these last 6 games then his $8M salary for 2016 gets guaranteed.

I took it that he was cut due to the reasons you stated coupled with the fact that he flat-out sucks/has no motor/underachieves. I especially took great pleasure in how easily Kellen Davis(!) turned and sealed him on a run today.  

Your problem is you hate Rex..LOL I understand fans didn't like his big mouth etc however even Parcell's needed a great season out of Vinny to make a AFCCG.. Rex went back to back AFCCG's with a rookie and 2nd year QB who most say sucked.. Hate all you want but he did what he did and you can't take that away..:)

You make HOF caliber irrelevant points.

I took it that he was cut due to the reasons you stated coupled with the fact that he flat-out sucks/has no motor/underachieves. I especially took great pleasure in how easily Kellen Davis(!) turned and sealed him on a run today.  

Yep. I think the "message" narrative is just a bonus, and Bowles frankly would be wise to run with it. The other players - the veterans, in particular - know that his contract calls for a f*ckload of guaranteed cash if he gets hurt. At 5-5, coming off 2 losses where they even considered benching the only QB they've got, the GM says he wouldn't consider the season a failure if they missed the playoffs (suggesting he half expects it). It therefore made sense to cut Coples at that point.  

Though he hasn't come close to living up to expectations, if he had no such injury guarantees for next year it's far from certain that he'd have been released in late November. Most of the time a team will still let a (theoretically) high-potential guy like him just finish out the season in case the light starts to go on, in which case they can still trade him even if they don't want him back.

Rex got there by inheriting the best Oline in the NFL & Bill Polian pulling probably the dumbest move in the history of the NFL believing you shouldn't try to win every game when your undefeated,lol. 1st play from scimmage after benching Manning for no apparent reason was a strip sack. I knew after time has passed people would forget how 2009 played out. We didn't win 2 games in a row I believe, we were the 1st team to rush for over 250 yards & LOSE THE GAME (Buffalo @ Home).

Then, after Rex biggest coaching win of his career, and Bart Scott exclaiming "Can't Wait", Rex went into Pittsburgh without a game plan & Tomlin ate his f*cking lunch in the 1st half by RUNNING IT DOWN OURTHROATS! I have no idea how a team playing for a chance to play for a Super Bowl berth can come out as flat as a pancake but I saw it with my own 2 eyes. That my friends is all about the coaches being ready....they weren't.

This is always lost when people try and defend the fact that Rex is and always was a terrible HC.  The freaking guy thought he was eliminated from the play-off contention in 09 and had to be alerted of his dumbness in his post game presser. Still.... posters like to say things like "he took us to back to back AFCG's." 

2009 was the perfect storm luck wise and the 2010 team, while very talented, suffered the same fate as Rex teams do by going MIA after winning Rex's version of the SB a week prior to the AFCG. 

i dont think the team is in as dire of straits as this article seems to make it appear. yes the drafting the last half decade has been atrocious but we have some good players on the roster. biggest needs are obviously quarterback, followed by linebacker and o-line. we could also use a young stud rb

there is absouluty zero depth

Your problem is you hate Rex..LOL I understand fans didn't like his big mouth etc however even Parcell's needed a great season out of Vinny to make a AFCCG.. Rex went back to back AFCCG's with a rookie and 2nd year QB who most say sucked.. Hate all you want but he did what he did and you can't take that away..

Rex took Mangini's teams to back to back AFCCG's.

When he was on his own beginning in 2011, he has never even had a winning season as a HC.

Rex took Mangini's teams to back to back AFCCG's.

When he was on his own beginning in 2011, he has never even had a winning season as a HC.

A lot of people said that all Rex needs is a "good QB". Well Tyrod Taylor has looked pretty solid this season and the Bills are 5-6.

Denver 98 was one of the best football teams ever, yes.

I don't remember them being THAT good.  I remember thinking that the '84 49ers, '85 Bears and '86 Giants and probably the '91 and '92 Cowboys (whichever the 1st 2 SB winners of the Jimmy Johnson era were) were among the best teams I'd ever seen. 

Probably there are a couple more teams I'm missing (maybe another 49er team.  Possibly a Patriots team though it's tough to compare a salary cap era team to pre-salary cap era). I don't think those Broncos were on the level of those teams.

It did when the Tuna took over the 1-15 Jets or Sparano took over the 1-15 Fins.. I still believe Bowles and Mac will turn out to be the right combo to get the Jets to the Bowl but the blame game for the former regime is getting beyond silly.. Bowles has had mini camp OTA's and training camp plus film to see what he has anyone that was not up to par should have been weeded out long ago..

It took the Tuna two seasons to find the playoffs. It's pretty easy to see this team finishing at 9-7, on the outside looking in, just the same as they did in Parcells' first year. Not that it means they'll go to the AFCCG next year.

It took the Tuna two seasons to find the playoffs. It's pretty easy to see this team finishing at 9-7, on the outside looking in, just the same as they did in Parcells' first year. Not that it means they'll go to the AFCCG next year.

The parallel would be if we pick up Jay Cutler and this career high-interception gunslinger, who never quite lived up to the lofty potential, was given a couple of possession receivers (which we have) and kept under control. He would be Bowles' Testaverde. The difference is Testaverde wasn't a douchebag, and I don't see us even looking at him, given his icy relationship with Marshall. 

Also Tuna had to topple the Pete Carroll Patriots - a roster of players he coached for years himself - not the Brady-Belichick Cheatriots who have lost all of 18 (regular season) games over these past 6 seasons combined. It was a fun ride that 2nd year in particular, but honestly we all know it was an easier throne to topple. One wonders what would have happened if Belichick wasn't already here, begging/pressuring Parcells to pick up Testaverde after Baltimore cut him in June, and we would then have gone with Foley (or at best, Foley/O'Donnell) for the entire '98 season.

Also Bowles/Maccagnan didn't pass up the opportunity to draft Peyton Manning. 

Filled a whoopie cushion with diarrhea and put it under Sheldon Richardson's seat cushion while his back was turned.

Just imagining the process of getting that diarrhea into the whoopie cushion... so what do you use, a funnel? A hose? Do you attach it directly? 

Seems complicated. 

Archived