Dolphins brain trust "believes Tannehill is possibly a top-10 quarterback"

dbatesman

I enjoy bashing Rex as much as the next guy, but let's never lose sight of what a total bumble**** Tannenbaum is:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article46974905.html

Dolphins’ coaches, front office seem to have different views on Ryan Tannehill

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@miamiherald.com

There are two messages coming from the same football team about quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

On one hand, one message echoing within the coaching staff is that Ryan Tannehill cannot carry this team and must be managed so that he can manage the offense and ultimately the game. That message suggests the coaching staff views the quarterback as a game manager — the description of a quarterback who is not elite and is merely asked to do no harm rather than go out and win games for his team.

That message is no secret, by the way, because interim coach Dan Campbell has made it clear with his words and offensive coordinator Bill Lazor has made it apparent by his deeds that is what they expect from Tannehill.

“What I’ve told Ryan is, ‘I don’t need Superman.’ … I just want to make sure my message to him is don’t try to be someone you’re not,” Campbell told me weeks ago. “Just manage the game for us. Make the throws that are there, which he will.”

Lazor, meanwhile, has limited the audibles Tannehill can call at the line of scrimmage. The Miami quarterback can change the play at the line if he deems it necessary, but he can only change to choices already served up to him by Lazor before the offense breaks the huddle.

So whereas some savvy NFL quarterbacks can read the defense in front of them and then change the play to anything in the playbook, the Dolphins offer Tannehill the chance to change it to Option A or Option B as provided by Lazor when the play to be run is called.

The reason this happens, apparently, is because coaches want Tannehill playing fast. They don’t want to bog him down at the line. They don’t want him thinking too much about things they don’t want him thinking about.

And, again, this is not guesswork because Campbell has said all of this.

So the picture one gets of what the coaches think of Tannehill is of a game manager they don’t want to overburden for fear of limiting his success.

Fine.

Except that the Dolphins’ personnel department thinks Tannehill is among the top eight to 15 quarterbacks in the NFL.

And this is why that department thinks that:

The team gave Tannehill a five-year, $96 million contract with four new years and $77 million in new money this offseason. Tannehill got $21.5 million fully guaranteed upon signing and nearly $45 million in total guarantees.

So Tannehill’s annual salary averages $19.25 million and he’s signed through 2020.

And, in case you are wondering, Tannehill is likely to be the Dolphins’ quarterback next season and the season after and through 2020 based on what personnel people say and think of him internally.

Yes, there might come a time when the Dolphins select a quarterback to compete with Tannehill if one is too irresistible to draft. But short of that, Tannehill is and will remain Miami’s starter, sources within the organization insist.

Why?

Because doing an exercise the team does internally, Tannehill rates very high among quarterbacks the organization would pick compared with other NFL starters.

That exercise measures whether the Dolphins would pick Tannehill or another starting quarterback if it was starting a team today. So pick the team and decide whether that team’s quarterback would be Miami’s long-term choice over Tannehill.

Buffalo? No.

New York Jets? No.

Jacksonville? No.

Detroit? No.

New Orleans? No.

Minnesota? No.

Cleveland? No.

San Diego? No.

Houston? No.

Philadelphia? No.

Washington? No.

Dallas? No.

St. Louis? No.

Chicago? No.

Denver? No.

The New York Giants? No.

Arizona? No.

Pittsburgh, Oakland and Carolina are probably nots.

The Dolphins would pick Tannehill for the long-term over Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Cam Newton, Teddy Brigdewater and Blake Bortles.

I know this because I was walked through the exercise by the team Friday. And when I balked at names such as Bortles and Newton, the Dolphins pushed back strongly, giving reasons Tannehill would be their preference long term.

(By the way, no offense to Tannehill, but I’d take Matt Stafford, Derek Carr and Ben Roethlisberger over him as well.)

The point is the Miami front office is convinced — convinced — Ryan Tannehill has franchise-quarterback skills and checks boxes other franchise quarterbacks check. The front office believes Tannehill is possibly even a top-10 quarterback.

And this is where something will eventually give.

The fact is Tannehill so far this season has played more like the quarterback the coaching staff thinks he is than the front office thinks he is.

“We’re not putting up enough points,” Tannehill said when asked how he is playing.

Whether this continues the rest of the season could help determine the decision the Dolphins make within their coaching ranks because club executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum, who heads the front office, is not going anywhere. And Tannehill isn’t going anywhere.

The coaching staff, meanwhile, is in a state of uncertainty.

And that coaching staff provides the offense in which Tannehill must succeed, although listening to him talk about it, it’s as if he’s merely tolerating the system now.

“Right now we are just trying to do the best we can with the offense that we run,” he said. “I go out there and try to execute it the best way that I can.”

All this shows is the Dolphins brain trust isn't that bright.   I wouldn't take tannehill over Fitzpatrick and there's no way Fitz is a top 10 guy.  Tannehill is scared under pressure and just not a big time guy.  How he got 96 large is beyond me

The guy can't throw the deep ball, is afraid to take any chances, isn't consistently accurate, has awful pocket presence, and apparently is a douche as well if you believe those practice squad reports. He's a slightly more mobile, less accurate, dumber version of Chad Pennington. Couldn't be happier the Dolphins brass thinks so highly of him.

The problem with Tannehill may be that he's just barely good enough to keep them from trying to fix the problem, plunging them into mediocrity for the next 3-4 years at the position, which is just fine with me.  The way I look at it is: Tannehill is far from the worst QB in the league but he simply doesn't scare me as a fan at all.

Saying they'd rather have him than Big Ben is a joke.  That guy can still launch a 40-yard rainbow like nobody's business.  He's an a$$hole for sure, but in the 4th quarter, protecting a small lead, I'd be a lot more afraid of Ben than Tannehill.  And the same goes for Cam, Carson and a few others on that list.  Maybe it has more to do with the talent around them, but in any case, Miami got what it paid for with Tannenbaum in the FO and now they get to live with it while we enjoy it from afar.

I just wish all those folks who said that Tannenbaum knows what he is doing could justify this report.  This is utter madness. Tannehill is better than Cam Newton and Brees... Ok...

This is the reason Hunter stayed on the Jets, Clarke was retained and Farve and Cotch were allowed to just walk.

The man is an incompetent boob as far as running a football team goes and as long as he is there we can be assured that Miami will go for the short term splash which will yield erratic and short term results!!!

Just Good Grief!!! 

It's understandable the Dolphins front office  feel that way about Ryan Tannehill as a Qb.      Not to Make excuses for Tannehill, but what has that front office done to support Ryan Tannehill.      

How many offensive coordinators have they had this season alone?    How many games have their starting Lt missed this year?  Is that offense line any good?  Have they downgraded the weapons around him?  

All are valid reasons why Ryan Tannehill seems to have regressed as a Qb this year.   It's paramount that the Dolphins hire a coach who can implement an offensive system that plays to Tannehill strengths.     Can bring in weapons that complement where he most comfortable throwing the football.  

Untill they do that it's unfair to say what kind of Qb they have in Ryan Tannehill.( might be the Qb they think he is, and he might not).  

If you believe your guy is a game manager, then you have to allow him to manage it ... getting him to pass 58 times and having a god awful defense to go with a pathetic run game is NOT managing the game.

You want to handle a game manager? See Sanchez, Mark (NYJ) his first two years. Great run game, strong D, QB only needs to make some routine passes, try a deep shot occasionally to scare the opposing D enough, and generally not F it up. Miami on Sunday played like they had Brady and Gronk in there - 9 run plays, 58 pass plays.

You lost me at Dolphin Brain. 

I enjoy bashing Rex as much as the next guy, but let's never lose sight of what a total bumble**** Tannenbaum is:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article46974905.html

In a related story they will be erecting a statue of Ndamukong Suh outside Dolphins stadium as a tribute to his defense and the incredible career he had before coming to Miami. 

where he ranks as far as number 10, or number 13 but the plain fact of the matter is he is a good QB and if he had a better supporting cast and better coaches around him he might even BE a guy who could help a team win some playoff games. Look at his numbers the past 3 seasons;

2013; 24 TDs   17 INTs   60.4 Comp.%  3913 YDs

2014; 27 TDs  12 INTS   66.4 Comp %  4045 YDs

2015;  20TDs  11 INTs    62.1 Comp %  2993 YDs

You and I both know that there isn't any one of us who WOULDN'T have taken a quarterback with those stats over the past 3 seasons

If you believe your guy is a game manager, then you have to allow him to manage it ... getting him to pass 58 times and having a god awful defense to go with a pathetic run game is NOT managing the game.

You want to handle a game manager? See Sanchez, Mark (NYJ) his first two years. Great run game, strong D, QB only needs to make some routine passes, try a deep shot occasionally to scare the opposing D enough, and generally not F it up. Miami on Sunday played like they had Brady and Gronk in there - 9 run plays, 58 pass plays.

When you're playing the Jets defense it's understandable that you would have that ratio of the pass to the run.( they are that good stopping the run)      Why put your offense in second and longs all day.

You want to run on the Jets , you have to establish the pass first.    Than it  becomes much easier to run as they are playing  with more Db's in the lineup.

The Dolphins offense scheme , and their personell on offense aren't up to par with the jets defense.  It doesn't have anything to do with the Qb- See Andrew Luck.( what he isn't a franchise caliber Qb anymore!

where he ranks as far as number 10, or number 13 but the plain fact of the matter is he is a good QB and if he had a better supporting cast and better coaches around him he might even BE a guy who could help a team win some playoff games. Look at his numbers the past 3 seasons;

You and I both know that there isn't any one of us who WOULDN'T have taken a quarterback with those stats over the past 3 seasons

have you watched the kid in December?  Pass.  start hot finish in a steaming pile.  Plus he's bottom 3 in the league every year in completed passes over 5 yards.  Captain check down...no thank you.  He's a loser, IMO.  

Stats without context are meaningless. 

He completed 60% of his passes against the Jets for 351 yards and 3 TDs. Tell me, would you say he had a good game?

The kid excels at padding his stats against bad teams and in garbage time. That's the only reason his numbers look good. 

Tannenbaum is taking WAY too much abuse for the fish, he hasnt been there long enough at all to do anything that has lead to their current problems. Tannenbaum is not a scout, but he is a competent football executive.

He was in a no win situation here with Rex. Rex was larger than life, and Tannenbaum has zero scouting ability, so he let Rex make all the football decisions, and when they backfired big time, Rex threw him under the bus, which Rex should have been right there with him.

The Sanchez contract was dumb as all hell, but I blame Rex WAY more for that than Tannebaum.

I'll simply say it this way; IF Bryce petty turns out to be the Jets starting QB and HE puts up the exact same NUMBERS, yes STATS (howEVER they happen) I will be one elated and for a change HOPEFUL Jets fan

That's a low bar. When the Dolphins were down 21-0 he was barely completing 50% of his passes for just over 100 yards and an interception. He didn't do anything until the game was effectively over and the Jets defense softened up. THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. 

His lousy play is a huge reason the Dolphins lost that game. 

Tannenbaum is taking WAY too much abuse for the fish, he hasnt been there long enough at all to do anything that has lead to their current problems. Tannenbaum is not a scout, but he is a competent football executive.

He was in a no win situation here with Rex. Rex was larger than life, and Tannenbaum has zero scouting ability, so he let Rex make all the football decisions, and when they backfired big time, Rex threw him under the bus, which Rex should have been right there with him.

The Sanchez contract was dumb as all hell, but I blame Rex WAY more for that than Tannebaum.

The Suh contract was all Tannenbaum. Guy loves making headlines. 

He had a Pro-Bowl caliber player in Jared Odrick who wanted to come back and could have been had for a lot less and had already been a proven success in their defensive scheme. 

He drops him for a guy who has never played that style of defense but is a bigger name. 

That is bad management. Publicly standing by Tannehill, especially since you don't have to because he was drafted by the previous regime,  is bad management. 

The Suh contract was all Tannenbaum. Guy loves making headlines. 

He had a Pro-Bowl caliber player in Jared Odrick who wanted to come back and could have been had for a lot less and had already been a proven success in their defensive scheme. 

He drops him for a guy who has never played that style of defense but is a bigger name. 

That is bad management. Publicly standing by Tannehill, especially since you don't have to because he was drafted by the previous regime,  is bad management. 

Tannenbaum isn't even the GM over there.  

Dumbass did the same thing last year as he did with Sanchez re the big extension.  Now they want him to be a game manager.  You don't sign a game manger for big years for big dollars.

Between the Jets, Buff and the Dolphlegms no wonder the pats just walk away with the div year after year without even trying.

Archived