Dolphins brain trust "believes Tannehill is possibly a top-10 quarterback"

dbatesman

The Suh contract was all Tannenbaum. Guy loves making headlines. 

He had a Pro-Bowl caliber player in Jared Odrick who wanted to come back and could have been had for a lot less and had already been a proven success in their defensive scheme. 

He drops him for a guy who has never played that style of defense but is a bigger name. 

That is bad management. Publicly standing by Tannehill, especially since you don't have to because he was drafted by the previous regime,  is bad management. 

Actually the owner loves making a splash, has a history of trying to put the fins on the map.  No GM makes that kind of commitment without ownership being on board or ordering it.

Actually the owner loves making a splash, has a history of trying to put the fins on the map.  No GM makes that kind of commitment without ownership being on board or ordering it.

Yep. You now got a perfect sh*tstorm in Miami - an owner who wants to appeal to celebrities and is overly impressed by glitz and glamour and a VP pf football operations who thinks acquiring big name players is the key to success and loves impressing his boss. 

The Suh contract was all Tannenbaum. Guy loves making headlines. 

He had a Pro-Bowl caliber player in Jared Odrick who wanted to come back and could have been had for a lot less and had already been a proven success in their defensive scheme. 

He drops him for a guy who has never played that style of defense but is a bigger name. 

That is bad management. Publicly standing by Tannehill, especially since you don't have to because he was drafted by the previous regime,  is bad management. 

Odrick stinks.

Tannehill is dreamy.

The point of the article is that Miami is under the diseased notion than Tannehill will be.

By the way, which team in the league is an elite one that doesn't have an elite QB?

Depends on your definition of elite QB, I guess. I wouldn't call Cam Newton elite, but right now his team are one of the top few in the league.

The guy never had a line or a running game, also isn't he on his 2nd or 3rd OC? Not too many guys can be successful. 

The past two seasons the guy has had the chance to lead his team to the playoffs with a weak latter part of his schedule and completely bombed twice.  He capped both of those chances off with embarrassing losses at home to us. I agree that his situation hasn't been "ideal", but it has been more than enough to have at least 1 playoff appearance.  He needs to shoulder some blame for that.

Cam is not elite? Guy will finish at worst 3rd in the MVP ballot and he's not elite? 

Ok.

Sanchez dealt with similar talent issues at skill positions that Cam is dealing with right now and sunk his team father the Titanic.  Cam has his squad undefeated.

Why there are people who can't seem to grasp how impressive he is playing this year is beyond me.

Cam is not elite? Guy will finish at worst 3rd in the MVP ballot and he's not elite? 

Ok.

As I say, it depends on how you define an elite QB. I think Newton is a better football player than he is a QB (if that makes any sense).

Most people rip a QB if he doesn't complete more than 60% of his passes - Newton has only gone over 60% one season, hit it exactly on one, and under for three seasons.

Was he elite last year? Is he elite because of this year alone? How many years of excellent play do you need to qualify as elite? It's all subjective, but I feel the term gets handed out like candy these days, and the elite guys disappear soon after.

Seems like the QB play in the league is pretty bad in general but because its a passing league the numbers are inflated.  If you want to call him #10 that's fine becauseto me there would be no difference with that spot and the #15 spot.  

Stats without context are meaningless. 

He completed 60% of his passes against the Jets for 351 yards and 3 TDs. Tell me, would you say he had a good game?

The kid excels at padding his stats against bad teams and in garbage time. That's the only reason his numbers look good. 

Agreed. He looked woefully inept against the Jets until it was 35-7 and the game was over.

Let's be fair with 2 points: 1) Tannehill is better than most here a giving him credit for.. 2) what are they going to say; we signed him to top 10 money, we are locked in with him for at least 2 more years, we don't have a replacement, and we have no faith in him; btw, we fired all of our coaches - so I cannot really tell you what a competent coaching staff would think of him?

Archived