Guns N Roses Reunion Rumors

AFJF

They stunk because they played sh*tface balls drunk.  Nothing good can come of that, ever.  Not only does the music suck, but the unpredictability and attitudes that come along with the beer muscles too, hence Axl's temper tantrums.  I've played with all types.  The stoners I don't mind, frankly on any drug.  Played with guys on acid, heroin, weed, coke, you name it.  All of them could play.  In fact sometimes they'd come up with some really cool stuff.  Cokeheads sucked because everything got sped up, but they could still play.  But man alcohol.... I have rarely encountered someone who could play sh*tface drunk.  It is always noticeable.  I once joined a band where everyone seemed to be pretty straight.  My first gig with them the other original guitarist was bombed.  We started into the first song and he turned to me and asked what the chords were.  He wrote the friggin song!  He couldn't remember chords, notes, you name it.  It's one thing to have a beer or 2 to take an edge off, but 4 pint glasses of vodka tonics is just not going to work out.  I quit that band the next day.

IDK - I've seen a lot of punk rock shows where the band could hardly stand that were as bad ass as it gets.  haha

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK - I've seen a lot of punk rock shows where the band could hardly stand that were as bad ass as it gets.  haha

Fair enough, I'll give you punk and stuff like that.  Not knocking it at all, I love punk, but from a technical standpoint they're not really painting Picasso's.  3 sloppy chords and a lot of angst does tend to work with alcohol. 

Meant to say Metallica was way better :)

And that makes sense, I was in high school in 92 and remember deciding against chasing GNR because so many people told me they stunk and Metallica blew them away after those shows. The must of played in NJ somewhere

I saw them together at Giants stadium that year and even though I was a bigger GNR fan than Metallica, I was completely blown away by Metallica.  I only really knew "one" and the black album but I came out of that show knowing I was going to buy every album leading up to the black album.  Hard to say how GNR was that night to be honest because I spent the majority of the show with my head in my hands thanks to a pounding migraine. 

That tour was in 1992 I believe. Things were just starting to fall apart then. ha.

Hetfield has done a few interviews about that tour. Said Guns were a complete wreck the entire time, and as a band Metallica kind of watched them and learned how not to handle themselves in almost any situation imaginable. There was that one show in Montreal with the riots where Axl acted like the biggest pussy ever.

To contrast things, and ironically because it was during that weird Axl/Cobain feud, like a year later Pearl Jam bailed on a MTV show because Vedder got sick, and Nirvana wound up playing a double set because Cobain knew the fans were kind of getting screwed. Then they go out and kick ass and play a legendary set which winds up being the Live and Loud show. I think it was Kurt Loder, but someone brought it up at the time that it was one of those things that showed why fans were more endeared to a guy like Cobain over Rose, even though Axl was light years the better singer.

Man, hard to fathom all this sh*t was over 20 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Hetfield has done a few interviews about that tour. Said Guns were a complete wreck the entire time, and as a band Metallica kind of watched them and learned how not to handle themselves in almost any situation imaginable. There was that one show in Montreal with the riots where Axl acted like the biggest pussy ever.

Was Montreal the one where Hetfield stepped into the pyrotechnics, burned himself to a crisp and had to go to the hospital? Then Guns came out--could have played a double set and saved the day--but only got through a couple of songs before Axl started bitching about the sound in the monitors or some sh*t and walked off the stage? That tour was legendary for all the wrong reasons. 

I also remember seeing amateur video of a G n' R concert somewhere when Axl spotted a fan in the front row taking pictures. He jumped into the audience and started wailing on the guy, then a couple minutes later got back up on stage and said the concert was over due to the lame-ass security. He spiked the mic on the floor and stormed off in a huff. 

Looking back, I used to think a lot of the stuff Axl did was pretty bad ass. Now that I'm older, those antics just make him look like a whiny bitch. 

Edit: I found the video I was thinking of. 

Was Montreal the one where Hetfield stepped into the pyrotechnics, burned himself to a crisp and had to go to the hospital? Then Guns came out--could have played a double set and saved the day--but only got through a couple of songs before Axl started bitching about the sound in the monitors or some sh*t and walked off the stage? That tour was legendary for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah. Said he didn't want to do it because his throat hurt.

Fair enough, I'll give you punk and stuff like that.  Not knocking it at all, I love punk, but from a technical standpoint they're not really painting Picasso's.  3 sloppy chords and a lot of angst does tend to work with alcohol. 

Yep.. that is the first thing I thought. Punk is so simplistic and just about raw energy level of drunkenness won't matter as much

This was the Metallica tour NJ show. Problem was they didn't take the stage to almost 11, everyone was in the parking lot all day getting lubed up. Heck, we didn't go in for Metallica but instead left the parking lot in search for more beer on Route 3. 

reality is when Duff McKagan sobered up he realized Axl pulling his diva act and not taking the stage until late very night was costing them gobs of money. Too late.Which led eventually to him leaving/getting kicked out.  Izzy Stradlin's great sin was at the time trying to get sober amid this insanity. 

07.18.92 - Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
opening act: Faith No More
set: Perfect Crime, Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Attitude, It's So Easy, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Wild Horses [Intro] / Patience, You Could Be Mine, Piano Solo, November Rain, Drum Solo, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, The One [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, Bad Obsession, Welcome To The Jungle, Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door
encore: Estranged, Don't Cry, Mother [Intro] / Paradise City
audio/video recording?: audio, video
notes: Before 'Live And Let Die,' Axl apologizes to the crowd for the technical difficulties that resulted in GN'R starting late. 'Double Talkin' Jive' is dedicated to the Presidential candidates. Gilby plays a little bit of 'Brown Sugar' before 'Wild Horses.' Axl does a hilarious Izzy impression during introductions. Slash starts 'Paradise City' after 'Estranged' but stops after a few chords and Gilby starts of 'Don't Cry.'
photos
review

Same thing year before-didn't take the stage until around 1130, everyone drunk.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-n-roses/1991/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-4bd6c726.html

Yes

Some of us can only stand Justin Bieber for only a couple hours per day.

You're right, GnR and Justin Bieber are our only two options. While I'm not particulary a fan of the band, that wasn't my point. Point I was making is seeing washed up bands/artists. I saw Bob Dylan a few years back and he was just down right terrible.

How many of the ones after the black thing did you buy?

Most of them up until the last few.  I prefer the older stuff and I can live with a few of the songs on "load" and "re-load"....love "Low Man's Lyric" but nothing beats "Master of Puppets" IMO.

I pray this never happens.  They will look like all the other reunited bands doing their covers and sounding like a Vegas act. 

Plus, Axl is a tool and done vocally.  Slash can still shred, but does not need Axl's inevitable meltdowns.

^ cop

axl ruined what should have been my generations rolling stones

**** him

^ cop

There's just no way. Speaking terms or not, once Slash has to spend more time with Axl he'll bail. 

^ cop

Maybe if Axl's not a sociopathic BPD control freak the band doesn't break up. At the same time if Axl's not a sociopathic BPD control freak they definitely never make it out of the Whiskey in the first place. Guns had ceased to exist as a creative entity long before anybody had ever heard of them. All of their important stuff (the entirety of Appetite and Lies together with the big singles from I and II) predates the release of the Suicide EP by at least six months. Heroin killed the band in its crib. It's like a star that's dead a thousand years before the light it produces ever reaches earth. The rise and fall and long slow descent into irrelevance was all illusory. Everything we ever got out of this band was the product of Axl holding everything together with his fingernails for years until he finally just lost his sh*t.

^ cop

^ cop

^ cop

Maybe if Axl's not a sociopathic BPD control freak the band doesn't break up. At the same time if Axl's not a sociopathic BPD control freak they definitely never make it out of the Whiskey in the first place. Guns had ceased to exist as a creative entity long before anybody had ever heard of them. All of their important stuff (the entirety of Appetite and Lies together with the big singles from I and II) predates the release of the Suicide EP by at least six months. Heroin killed the band in its crib. It's like a star that's dead a thousand years before the light it produces ever reaches earth. The rise and fall and long slow descent into irrelevance was all illusory. Everything we ever got out of this band was the product of Axl holding everything together with his fingernails for years until he finally just lost his sh*t.

maybe  Axl grew up finallY.  Dude needs to lose some weight though the last pic I saw of him he looked horrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw an article yesterday saying at some of the star wars screenings, during the coming attrctions there's a short clip of a concert crowd in black and white, a little bit of "Welcome to the Jungle" is played, and that's it.  No explanation.  

This thing is gonna' happen...I hope.

Can't imagine Steven Adler will be part of this, more likely Matt Sorum. Would love to see Izzy Stradlin get his due after getting sheetcanned because he committed the awful crime of getting sober. 

Gonna be Duff, Slah and Axl with existing drummer and rythmn guitarist....Noone else

Can't imagine Steven Adler will be part of this, more likely Matt Sorum. Would love to see Izzy Stradlin get his due after getting sheetcanned because he committed the awful crime of getting sober. 

can adler even speak anymore ?  I remember an interview he did, it was very sad, his brain is mush

can adler even speak anymore ?  I remember an interview he did, it was very sad, his brain is mush

Not really....had a stroke many years ago. Oddly enough, when he played at the RnR HOF induction he played drums fine.  Not that I think he'd be an option to bring out on tour.  It's a shame Matt Sorum won't be joining them.  Main thing is Slash/Axl/Duff...that's enough for me.  Izzy also joined Axl on stage for a few shows in NYC several years ago.  I wouldn't be shocked if he did the same thing this time around.

Not really....had a stroke many years ago. Oddly enough, when he played at the RnR HOF induction he played drums fine.  Not that I think he'd be an option to bring out on tour.  It's a shame Matt Sorum won't be joining them.  Main thing is Slash/Axl/Duff...that's enough for me.  Izzy also joined Axl on stage for a few shows in NYC several years ago.  I wouldn't be shocked if he did the same thing this time around.

I'm getting a Woody Johnson hearing you talk about this

It's confirmed. Coachella announced them in the lineup and Slash confirmed it on Facebook. 

But leave it to longtime crotchety frontman Axl Rose to ruin the victory parade, at least kind of. The GNR lead singer tweeted about the supposed reunion tours by sort of shooting down the notion that anything was confirmed.

Axl’s comments on the Guns N’ Roses reunion tour weren’t a total denial — but it was pretty far from a confirmation too.

I wouldn't pay $5 or go 50 feet out of my way for this a$$hole.  he is already screwing with people

what a shame

But leave it to longtime crotchety frontman Axl Rose to ruin the victory parade, at least kind of. The GNR lead singer tweeted about the supposed reunion tours by sort of shooting down the notion that anything was confirmed.

Axl’s comments on the Guns N’ Roses reunion tour weren’t a total denial — but it was pretty far from a confirmation too.

I wouldn't pay $5 or go 50 feet out of my way for this a$$hole.  he is already screwing with people

what a shame

Archived