We missed Powell & Enunwa

Jetster

I don't know if I agree with you man.  I think at this point we've put a lot of development into Quincy.  Amaro was listed as a #3 TE, I just don't think these coaches like him at all.  Quincy is a big dude with decent speed and blocks like a beast.  I feel like they have been putting a lot of work into developing him, I'd hate to see that all pay off for another team.  I think over time he can become a good pass receiver. 

And by the way, watch out in our pick 'em league, I'm creeping up for you hahaha!

I hear you but its not like they had a choice over which to develop and work with this year.

And they weren't here a year ago

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear you but its not like they had a choice over which to develop and work with this year.

And they weren't here a year ago

Completely understand that point as well, but coming out of preseason before Amaro's injury it really felt like they were doing all they could to get Enunwa into the role he's in now.  I agree the dude has a lot of work to become a very good receiver, but it's also very hard to find receivers who do what he does in the blocking scheme.  I would even say he doesn't run terrible routes, he does get open.  He just needs to learn body control when catching the ball.  He's one of those guys where the offseason is going to be the factor.  If he is one of those workaholics that is going to spend his entire offseason working on routes and catching the ball I think we may have a keeper.  If he spends his offseason Manziel and Kaepernick style, I can see him being cut. 

Completely understand that point as well, but coming out of preseason before Amaro's injury it really felt like they were doing all they could to get Enunwa into the role he's in now.  I agree the dude has a lot of work to become a very good receiver, but it's also very hard to find receivers who do what he does in the blocking scheme.  I would even say he doesn't run terrible routes, he does get open.  He just needs to learn body control when catching the ball.  He's one of those guys where the offseason is going to be the factor.  If he is one of those workaholics that is going to spend his entire offseason working on routes and catching the ball I think we may have a keeper.  If he spends his offseason Manziel and Kaepernick style, I can see him being cut. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the Jets already had Amaro slotted into the HB position in the preseason, that they weren't planning on using him as a traditional TE.  

Not that it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things, Amaro missed the year and Enunwa seems to have taking his shot and is making it work to his advantage

I think they were leaning towards Enunwa as the blocking side and Amaro as the H-back side.  I guess we will have to wait and see 

gailey is finally using powell in the passing game and not handing it off to him.  he's better as a receiver and should be used like sproles.

Whatever you think of Powell, I do not think you can blame Gailey.  Powell has been dinged almost the entire year.  I don't think he is much like Sproles, but agree he is decent out of the backfield and that with his ability to pick up the blitz he is good on 3rd downs.  He was bound to get  carries since Stacy and Ridley have been hurt/ineffective and Ivory has been dinged and needs an occasional breather in any event.

Since you deny that Curtis Martin is one of the all-time great RBs of this league, then I guess so. :)

Well the label has gone from awesome to great that's a step I suppose.. Your right though I see Martin as a good durable back but not great.. He compiled stats but so did Vinny that has more td's and 5,000+ more passing yds then Montana does that make Vinny great?? As a Jet Martin avg 7 tds a year and between 12 and 1300 yds and barely 4 ypc.. Too me he didn't have the wow factor the greats have not to mention 3 of his first 6 seasons he avg  4 ypc  just half the time..Had it not been for Paul Hackett his old college HC as Jet OC he doesn't make the HOF..IMO ;)

Powell is nice homegrown talent ion a team were that is rare.  Contributes in the offense as a pass receiving back that picks up the blitz nicely.  His effort and desire to make the best out of every touch makes him a solid NY Jet.  That is the only title he needs. 

Sorta like a a rb version of Cothchery.  Hope we aren't dumb enough to let him go.

I think they were leaning towards Enunwa as the blocking side and Amaro as the H-back side.  I guess we will have to wait and see 

I don't think so.  Enunwa and Amaro were practicing as H-backs.  Cumberland and Davis at TE.  Amaro was not getting on the main field much, but he got hurt in the preseason opener and never came back.  He was hurt in OTAs and missed mini-camp too.  I don't think they were planning to use Enunwa as a blocker and Amaro as a pass catcher, it's just that when Amaro went down, Enunwa was the next H-back candidate.

My problem with Powell is that if we lose Ivory I don't have the faith that Powell can step up and be our number one guy.

Most teams rarely have that #1 bell cow guy now. Between injuries and roles, almost every team needs 2 or 3 guys each game to play a significant number of snaps. Powell can fit many of those roles. It's yet to be known if he can be an every down back, but in today's NFL he doesn't need to be.

Most teams rarely have that #1 bell cow guy now. Between injuries and roles, almost every team needs 2 or 3 guys each game to play a significant number of snaps. Powell can fit many of those roles. It's yet to be known if he can be an every down back, but in today's NFL he doesn't need to be.

If im not mistaken he has had his shot at being an every down back for at least a string of a few games and he looked horrific. I would not lose sleep if we let Powell go next year and drafted an RB before round 5 or if we simply replaced him in free agency...I wouldn't be surprised if Mac wanted to bring in a guy like Foster who he is familiar with.

If im not mistaken he has had his shot at being an every down back for at least a string of a few games and he looked horrific. I would not lose sleep if we let Powell go next year and drafted an RB before round 5 or if we simply replaced him in free agency...I wouldn't be surprised if Mac wanted to bring in a guy like Foster who he is familiar with.

When has Powell ever been given a legit shot at that? Of the three free agent running backs, Powell is the one the Jets need to keep. They'll draft someone and bring in someone via FA, but Powell deserves to stay.

We did miss them... But honestly we've been phenomenally lucky with regard to injuries this year. Look around the league at all the major players who have gone down -- we really haven't lose anyone significant for more than a couple of games.

We lost Geno ... most significant injury we've had all year, you could say. ;)

Enunwa seems to make at least one big catch per game that extends a drive, gets us out of bad field position, stems momentum, etc.

Enunwa makes at least one play saving block on a DE, and one pancake block downfield every game as well.

Then there is the fact that we are 3-0 when I have worn my Enunwa jersey which happens to say Keller underneath. 

I only wish I'd made it sooner. 

We also happen to be 7-2 when the new Q plays. 

We did miss them... But honestly we've been phenomenally lucky with regard to injuries this year. Look around the league at all the major players who have gone down -- we really haven't lose anyone significant for more than a couple of games.

We lost our starting QB, and played without Fitz for a game, and a torn ligament for a few. 

Lost Amaro. Allen, Miliner, Owusu, Colon, Folk, and Stacey

Devin Smith missed preseason, and the beginning of the season which probably ruined his season.

We've been without our top 3, or 4 CBs at times,  without Revis for 2 1/2 and Pryor for 3 1`/2 games. Had Williams playing safety because they were all hurt, and now he's out.

Decker, Marshall, Mangold, and Ivory have all played hurt, and missed games. 

Lost Richardson for the first 4 games. I know it wasn't an injury, but so what. 

Certainly doesn't sound phenomenally lucky to me and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. 

Thats why I have tried to be patient with this years team. Any team can go out and spend money - but it takes a good coach, front office and time to build the necessary depth to win consistently. Powell and Enunwa are two of many guys that are getting better and adding depth to the team.

And why I have been personally patient with D. Smith while so many are labeling a bust.  I think we can add him to that list; sucks he got hurt and is out for the season.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Bilal is awesome this year.  Been saying it since we first got a glimpse of him in the preseason.  Idk what he did in the offseason, but he is noticeably faster.

I like Powell also and he had a fine game yesterday.. But how is a player that has 196 yds rushing 3.6 ypc and no tds awesome?? Yes he does have a td on 30 catches but is that really awesome??:)

Bilal Powell is awesome this year.

JAG means that anybody can replace them.  So, I would say that Kellen Davis, Zac Stacy and Ridley are JAGs on this team.  But, Powell is sometimes the spark that ignites the offense.  Clearly other JAGs cannot do this, or Stacy/Ridley would be doing it.  I don't think he is 'awesome' or an every down back, but what he contributed yesterday is way more than just another guy.   He doesn't get a lot of touches (and has been hurt) so his yearly numbers are not great. He also does things that don't show up in (or are not obvious) in the stats.

His screen plays were effective enough to slow down the Giants pass rush.  He also got us a few critical 1st downs, half of our TDs and he is a very good pass protector.  The OP said we missed him, which I think we did.  Normally, when Ivory is out (not sure why yesterday) we are dead on runs.  He played a good game and contributed nicely.  Doesn't make him awesome; doesn't make him a JAG either.

I think people use the JAG term a little to often when they really mean "role player" and that is what Powell is. He is not a star but he is a very good role player for the Jets.  What he is asked to do (spell Ivory, pass block, catch passes out of the backfield) he does very well.   He always was a good pass blocker and receiver but I think this year he is much more explosive and has more of a burst than I can remember.  Apparently he wasn't 100%.  Maybe he also lost a little weight or added a new workout regime.  Whatever the case is, he has become a very important part of our offense.   

I think people use the JAG term a little to often when they really mean "role player" and that is what Powell is. He is not a star but he is a very good role player for the Jets.  What he is asked to do (spell Ivory, pass block, catch passes out of the backfield) he does very well.   He always was a good pass blocker and receiver but I think this year he is much more explosive and has more of a burst than I can remember.  Apparently he wasn't 100%.  Maybe he also lost a little weight or added a new workout regime.  Whatever the case is, he has become a very important part of our offense.   

People hand out HOF and hot garbage out a lot.  JAG is another one; in my mind a JAG is a totally replaceable, nothing special player.  A role player is something else.  No matter how you slice it, glad Powell is on the team.

Somebody called Bilal a JAG the other day and I was shocked. To me a JAG is another teams castoff. A guy you signed to help out ST and he only sees the field when 5 guys get hurt. Bilal is NO JAG.

It was probably me and I spent an hour explaining that I probably have a higher opinion of JAGs than most of you.  My first comment is, damn, you shock easily.  To me a JAG is a guy that you don't have to gameplan against.  If you define JAG as practice squad player, then yes he is better.  If you define it as replacement level NFL spot starter/role player (as I do) then he is basically a JAG.  Powell has been playing at an elevated level and I would say he has been above a JAG over this last run, but he has had a JAG or slightly better career.  Same with Stacy.  Somebody else used the term "role player" and I can see that description fitting what you guys think better, but there are guys like Kerley who are at that level and maybe don't have a role right now.  You can say NOJAG all you like, but they signed him back for peanuts because nobody really wanted him and he probably still isn't having as good a season as you guys think. 

A guy like Thompkins is certainly a JAG and people here are looking to give him a roster spot for 2016 

It was probably me and I spent an hour explaining that I probably have a higher opinion of JAGs than most of you.  My first comment is, damn, you shock easily.  To me a JAG is a guy that you don't have to gameplan against.  If you define JAG as practice squad player, then yes he is better.  If you define it as replacement level NFL spot starter/role player (as I do) then he is basically a JAG.  Powell has been playing at an elevated level and I would say he has been above a JAG over this last run, but he has had a JAG or slightly better career.  Same with Stacy.  Somebody else used the term "role player" and I can see that description fitting what you guys think better, but there are guys like Kerley who are at that level and maybe don't have a role right now.  You can say NOJAG all you like, but they signed him back for peanuts because nobody really wanted him and he probably still isn't having as good a season as you guys think. 

A guy like Thompkins is certainly a JAG and people here are looking to give him a roster spot for 2016 

You JAG easily. I think the definition you explained of a JAG is your own. Whatever.

BTW Bilal is NO JAG by my definition.

He looks like a totally different player this year. Faster, stronger, and great vision. I don't know what changed for him, but he is playing great right now. 

I think they're calling plays that suit what he does well. Playing to his strengths.

I like Powell also and he had a fine game yesterday.. But how is a player that has 196 yds rushing 3.6 ypc and no tds awesome?? Yes he does have a td on 30 catches but is that really awesome??:)

I was going to say this.  He had a nice game rushing in the opener and a nice game receiving yesterday, but he has never been "awesome" except maybe that game against Buffalo in 2013.  That is the reason these guys cause so much debate around here.  They are "JAG"s but they are also useful pieces to the team.  When their places are being taken by Kellen Davis and Zac Stacy/Stevan Ridley, you tend to miss a JAG that can provide an adequate performance.   I don't think either is awesome, but the Jets do need more guys like them to fill out the roster. 

He's a third down back guys and in that respect he's done very well. Awesome ? No... but he has made some big plays and he's got his burst back due to the fact he's not had much in the way of a beating this year... He might very well be a big weapon in the playoffs that and his pass blocking is elite as is his ability to be deceptive in the screen game something we were never able to do the last 7 years because we never had a QB who knew how to properly disguise a screen like Fitz does.

Enunwa looks awkward as hell catching a pass but he was very raw coming out of Nebraska. Hopefully he can continue to develop as a receiver. 

not as awkward as Cumberland :-)

(is he still on the team btw? He's completely dropped off the radar) 

Archived