....Jets still pretenders.

Shadetree

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the Jets have a better record than both of them. Head to head means nothing when the teams have worse records than you.

And the Bills played the same schedule

Right.  And if the season ended today, we'd be set.  

We could be a decent/good team.  Now we have 4 games to prove it while needing a little help from a Pitt loss or two.

Right.  And if the season ended today, we'd be set.  

We could be a decent/good team.  Now we have 4 games to prove it while needing a little help from a Pitt loss or two.

Steelers and Chiefs win out, we're dead either way. I still think the Ravens could be a problem for them. That is a "throw the records out" rivalry.

Hi guys, Pessimistic a$$hole here.

Now that everyone has had 24 hrs to enjoy the victory, let's face it, this team doesn't make it to the dance. 

They gotta go 4-0 the rest of the way and that ain't happening. 

-again, disappointing OL play.

-again, the pass rush against a weak line was "eh"

Those two aspects of our team will be our undoing. The schedule says 3-1, at best, and 10-6 will leave us vastly improved over last year, but on the outside looking in this year.

Disappointing OL? Weak pass rush?

Don't tell that to #27Dominator, 56Mehl56, or Wet Nuts. They think we b!tchslapped 'em silly yesterday. The score was deceiving.

Sure, our OL got punked nonstop but the Jets were playing smart and conserving energy. 

Sure, we won on Coughlin's mental blackout and a shanked FG but we were clearly the superior team.

And our inability to take the lead for 3 full QTRs was just another strength of ours.

What a game plan. Pure genius. The rest should be cake.

It's very weird. For most of this season, I would have thought 9 wins would be enough to get in, the AFC has been so mediocre. Now 10 might not even be enough.

Now 4-12 to 9-7 is a very good jump. So I would classify that as a successful season.

It may be a loser mentality, but after the Idzik years, meaningful games in Dec is already a "success" to me.  I'm not thrilled with it, but I'll take it.

pretenders or for real; next week at almost the middle of December, the Jets are playing meaningful football.  Assuming we win (hopefully we do), we go further into December playing a meaningful game.  Now if we beat the 3-9 Titans and the Romoless 3-8 Cowboys we go into the very end of December into our most hated rivals playing, yes meaningful football.

We cannot control what other teams do, but we can control what we do.  We where basically done last year 8 games in.  The year before we were done by November (or there about's).  We are playing with what many have called the worst QB in the universe.  And yet, we are still playing meaningful football.  Who knows, win or loose in Foxborro we may yet be playing meaningful football in January and maybe even get into the playoffs.

Shouting out pretenders is either an unhappy the glass is always empty view, or it is a die-hard fan being let down all of these years and is now just trying to soften the blow and not get too excited.  Or, someone just looking for attention.  Either way, it smells of SOJFan ... the Jets aren't (as of yet) playing SOJs so far, maybe the fans can find a way to break the cultural depression.  This time of year can be depressing for so many reasons, at least at this point, we don't have to be depressed to be Jet fans.

Not convinced.  Cleveland lost a game to a bad team on a blocked (would have been game winning) FG that was returned for a TD (by a team that left Cleveland in the middle of the night but left the name).  And now, they don't even show up in the 'in-the-hunt' column of the playoff picture.  We could Cleveland fans

Having a winning season is great but this years schedule was a cake walk, the jets should have been a 8-8 team at the minimum. Marshall is probably gone next season, ivory is a free agent, revis/harris/mangold/brick will all be a year older. The jets are going nowhere unless we can start adding more young talent, especially at QB

Having a winning season is great but this years schedule was a cake walk, the jets should have been 8-8 minimum. Marshall is probably gone next season, ivory is a free agent, revis/harris/mangold/brick will all be s year older. The jets are going nowhere unless we can start adding more young talent, especially at QB

Marshall said that he will play for the Jets until they don't want him anymore and then he will retire.  Jets extended him and he is the first WR with 1000 yards or double digit TDs in a long time - I think he plays next year.

I'm typically the optimistic type but I don't see us beating the Titans next week.   It's screaming let down game.  This team has consistently started games flat and after overcoming the mountain against the cross town rivals this week I don't see them pulling it together to win.  

That being said, they will go on to beat the Cowboys and potentially the Pats and Bills.  So that's my prediction, 3-1, with the loss coming against Tenn.  

BTW I think the Giants win their division.

Disappointing OL? Weak pass rush?

Don't tell that to #27Dominator, 56Mehl56, or Wet Nuts. They think we b!tchslapped 'em silly yesterday. The score was deceiving.

Sure, our OL got punked nonstop but the Jets were playing smart and conserving energy. 

Sure, we won on Coughlin's mental blackout and a shanked FG but we were clearly the superior team.

And our inability to take the lead for 3 full QTRs was just another strength of ours.

What a game plan. Pure genius. The rest should be cake.

Hey fool. Find a single post where I came close to saying any of this.  Otherwise shut the f up.  

The Jets win and some numbnuts need to come on and b1tch and moan over wins.  And whine that others aren't whiney shlts too

Having a winning season is great but this years schedule was a cake walk, the jets should have been a 8-8 team at the minimum. Marshall is probably gone next season, ivory is a free agent, revis/harris/mangold/brick will all be a year older. The jets are going nowhere unless we can start adding more young talent, especially at QB

Why in the hell would Marshall be gone?

Every team that has not clinched is a pretender.  And what is with people using iditoic buzz words that totally do not apply to this situation?  Pretenders?  Who ever said they were solid contenders?  4-12 team is at a point that almost no one could ask any more from this team, that being a playoff contender at this point in the season.

And if they go 10-6 or even 9-7 and miss the playoffs they're pretenders because?  

Because you or others had unreasonable expectations?

Every team that has not clinched is a pretender.  And what is with people using iditoic buzz words that totally do not apply to this situation?  Pretenders?  Who ever said they were solid contenders?  4-12 team is at a point that almost no one could ask any more from this team, that being a playoff contender at this point in the season.

I made it clear in my original post that  we are indeed vastly improved from last year.

But this is 2015-16 and for a team that had a 4-1 start, while playing real well on D, I don't think I'm abusing the word "pretender."

We were favored to win against the Bills and Texans. We should have beaten those teams. Win ONE of those games we are in the drivers seat. 

I don't really give a sh*t about our record in 14-15 when we had playoff oppty in front of us heading into Bills week. I am not blind to the fact that we are pointing in the right direction as a franchise, but this is the age of free agency and teams need to pounce on their golden oppty when they have the Bills at home and the reeling Texans in back to back weeks.

Also, part of my reasoning behind declaring the Jets pretenders is my disappointment in the OL play and the lack of a pass rush. It is my belief that if we DO run the table and make the playoffs, these particular weaknesses will make us a team that can't make a run to the Big Game like the 9-7 2011 Giants or any other playoff team that made a serious run through the tournament after a lackluster regular season. If we do sneak in, we will be hard pressed to overcome those flaws.

Looks like Steelers do.  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

At present we hold the tie-break over Pitt because we're 5-4 in conference games and they are 4-4. it's misleading because we've played more conference games, we have 3 left and Pitt has 4.

Let's assume Pitt goes 3-1 to get to 10-6. They then have a 7-5 conference record however it plays out.

Jets can get to 10-6 in different ways - if we win our 3 AFC games and lose to Dallas, we'd be 8-4 conference record and win a tie-break over Pitt. If we go 3-1 any other way, we'd be tied on record AND conference record.

After that it goes to win % in common games (minimum of 4 games needed). This is where it gets confusing to me - we have both played 1 game against Oakland and Indy. Pitt are 2-0 in those, we are 1-1. Our other common opponents are New England and Cleveland, but we play NE twice, Pitt play Cleveland twice. We're 1-1 with one to play, they're 1-1 with one to play. So far it's advantage Pitt (though I'd argue that the tie-breaker is heavily biased towards Pitt due to the opponents in question).

Using the simulator though, even if we both end up 10-6, where we beat NE and Pitt lose to Cleveland, if either of our other losses is in the AFC we're still out, presumably based on the next tie-breaker. However, that's such an unlikely scenario I'm not going to worry too much about it.

So from what I can see, our game vs. Dallas is pretty irrelevant (as far as us vs. Pitt goes) - if we both finish 11-5, Pitt get in anyway. If we both finish 10-6, with our only loss being to Dallas, we get in, but if we beat Dallas and lose elsewhere, Pitt are in. Only way the Dallas game becomes relevant is if KC slip up and both Pitt and NYJ finish with better records (if all 3 end up 11-5, KC and Pitt are in, Jets are out).

I can see some anxious weeks and serious scoreboard watching ahead!

At present we hold the tie-break over Pitt because we're 5-4 in conference games and they are 4-4. it's misleading because we've played more conference games, we have 3 left and Pitt has 4.

Let's assume Pitt goes 3-1 to get to 10-6. They then have a 7-5 conference record however it plays out.

Jets can get to 10-6 in different ways - if we win our 3 AFC games and lose to Dallas, we'd be 8-4 conference record and win a tie-break over Pitt. If we go 3-1 any other way, we'd be tied on record AND conference record.

After that it goes to win % in common games (minimum of 4 games needed). This is where it gets confusing to me - we have both played 1 game against Oakland and Indy. Pitt are 2-0 in those, we are 1-1. Our other common opponents are New England and Cleveland, but we play NE twice, Pitt play Cleveland twice. We're 1-1 with one to play, they're 1-1 with one to play. So far it's advantage Pitt (though I'd argue that the tie-breaker is heavily biased towards Pitt due to the opponents in question).

Using the simulator though, even if we both end up 10-6, where we beat NE and Pitt lose to Cleveland, if either of our other losses is in the AFC we're still out, presumably based on the next tie-breaker. However, that's such an unlikely scenario I'm not going to worry too much about it.

So from what I can see, our game vs. Dallas is pretty irrelevant (as far as us vs. Pitt goes) - if we both finish 11-5, Pitt get in anyway. If we both finish 10-6, with our only loss being to Dallas, we get in, but if we beat Dallas and lose elsewhere, Pitt are in. Only way the Dallas game becomes relevant is if KC slip up and both Pitt and NYJ finish with better records (if all 3 end up 11-5, KC and Pitt are in, Jets are out).

I can see some anxious weeks and serious scoreboard watching ahead!

Thanks.  I hadn't gone into it that far.  Probably would've at some point this week, but you just saved me the time.

Hey, at least we have meaningful games in December.  Could get exciting.

I made it clear in my original post that  we are indeed vastly improved from last year.

But this is 2015-16 and for a team that had a 4-1 start, while playing real well on D, I don't think I'm abusing the word "pretender."

We were favored to win against the Bills and Texans. We should have beaten those teams. Win ONE of those games we are in the drivers seat. 

I don't really give a sh*t about our record in 14-15 when we had playoff oppty in front of us heading into Bills week. I am not blind to the fact that we are pointing in the right direction as a franchise, but this is the age of free agency and teams need to pounce on their golden oppty when they have the Bills at home and the reeling Texans in back to back weeks.

Also, part of my reasoning behind declaring the Jets pretenders is my disappointment in the OL play and the lack of a pass rush. It is my belief that if we DO run the table and make the playoffs, these particular weaknesses will make us a team that can't make a run to the Big Game like the 9-7 2011 Giants or any other playoff team that made a serious run through the tournament after a lackluster regular season. If we do sneak in, we will be hard pressed to overcome those flaws.

The Texans just came off of a dominant victory over the undefeated Bengals in Cincy. How is that reeling?

I dont know why people think Marshall will be gone. His contract keeps him here for at least 2 more years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51601/jets-retool-contract-of-wide-receiver-brandon-marshall

Marshall doesn't strike me as a guy who's thinking of walking away any time soon. And the Jets would be deranged to get rid of him.

Hi guys, Pessimistic azzhole here.

Now that everyone has had 24 hrs to enjoy the victory, let's face it, this team doesn't make it to the dance. 

They gotta go 4-0 the rest of the way and that ain't happening. 

-again, disappointing OL play.

-again, the pass rush against a weak line was "eh"

Those two aspects of our team will be our undoing. The schedule says 3-1, at best, and 10-6 will leave us vastly improved over last year, but on the outside looking in this year.

the jets don't need to go 4-0.  

the steelers probably won't go 3-1.  they still have Cincy, Denver, Baltimore, Cleveland.  They might go 2-2.  Division games are always tough, regardless of record.  

just beat the titans.

Archived