....Jets still pretenders.

Shadetree

Texans were 3-1 heading into the Jets game.

People read the press clippings early in the year - Texans at 1-4 - and wrote them off as garbage. Then the Dolphins beat down reinforced that (incorrect) perception.

Just like people wrote off the 1-5 KC Chiefs. The same Chiefs who are now on a 6 game win streak and could easily extend that to 10 and the #5 seed.

Typical "self hating Jet fan" garbage!!!

- Waaah, we're 7-5 and in the middle of a playoff run.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, we have important December football games for the first time
since Decmber 2011.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, we beat the Midgets in an exciting OT game for the first time
in over 20 years.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, even though the new staff hasn't been perfect there has been
a noticeable improvement in the culture/performance of the team.  I'm
not happy

- Waaah, we may have found a "Testaverde" type of QB having his best
season late in his career.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, older players are having their best seasons and younger players
are developing.  I'm not happy

Grow up!!!  Enjoy the rollercoaster of the playoff push or go root for
another team

I am convinced if the Jets ever do win a Super Bowl again, some fans are going to complain. 

I made it clear in my original post that  we are indeed vastly improved from last year.

But this is 2015-16 and for a team that had a 4-1 start, while playing real well on D, I don't think I'm abusing the word "pretender."

We were favored to win against the Bills and Texans. We should have beaten those teams. Win ONE of those games we are in the drivers seat. 

I don't really give a sh*t about our record in 14-15 when we had playoff oppty in front of us heading into Bills week. I am not blind to the fact that we are pointing in the right direction as a franchise, but this is the age of free agency and teams need to pounce on their golden oppty when they have the Bills at home and the reeling Texans in back to back weeks.

Also, part of my reasoning behind declaring the Jets pretenders is my disappointment in the OL play and the lack of a pass rush. It is my belief that if we DO run the table and make the playoffs, these particular weaknesses will make us a team that can't make a run to the Big Game like the 9-7 2011 Giants or any other playoff team that made a serious run through the tournament after a lackluster regular season. If we do sneak in, we will be hard pressed to overcome those flaws.

Well sorry, the word pretenders is too strong and has too hard a negative connotation.  

Again, we're fans and too often we overrate our teams.  4-1 was great but a season is 16 games, not 5 and being 4-1 doesn't guarantee anything.  A season usually has swings and games where you're favored and lose as well as dogs and you pull the upset.

Well sorry, the word pretenders is too strong and has too hard a negative connotation.  

Again, we're fans and too often we overrate our teams.  4-1 was great but a season is 16 games, not 5 and being 4-1 doesn't guarantee anything.  A season usually has swings and games where you're favored and lose as well as dogs and you pull the upset.

Don't need to look anywhere else but the Atlanta Falcons.

From 5-0 to 6-6

• Upvote 2

Don't need to look anywhere else but the Atlanta Falcons.

From 5-0 to 6-6

Happens all the time.  Just because you have a good 5 game run guarantees nothing.  

Unless you think the schedule and the opponents you play, their injuries, your injuries etc have nothing to do with how a season plays out. 

Regarding the Bills, they are playing three straight NFCE teams.  While that's odd scheduling, and looks appealing on paper, all three teams  are currently vying for the division (at 5-7 and 4-8 remarkably) and I doubt any of those games will be easy.  Pretty likely they drop at least one on the way, but it won't matter unless they drop two because if we drop one and have a one-game lead, a loss to them in week 17 would put them ahead of us on H2H.  In fact, even if they make up a game on us in the next three weeks it won't matter because the winner in week 17 will still be ahead of the loser in either case.  So in a way, the Bills aren't an issue until then.

Hopefully at least some of the teams in the mix at 6-6 will start dropping off in the next two weeks.  Right now, it's a log jam for sure.

Edited by nycdan

Typical "self hating Jet fan" garbage!!!

- Waaah, we're 7-5 and in the middle of a playoff run.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, we have important December football games for the first time
since Decmber 2011.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, we beat the Midgets in an exciting OT game for the first time
in over 20 years.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, even though the new staff hasn't been perfect there has been
a noticeable improvement in the culture/performance of the team.  I'm
not happy

- Waaah, we may have found a "Testaverde" type of QB having his best
season late in his career.  I'm not happy

- Waaah, older players are having their best seasons and younger players
are developing.  I'm not happy

Grow up!!!  Enjoy the rollercoaster of the playoff push or go root for
another team

it takes absolutely no thought to just simply b1tch and moan about wins and loses.  Much easier to just complain about everything and then credit it to SOJ.

And later complain that no one gives us a chance and/or respects us. Lol

I made it clear in my original post that  we are indeed vastly improved from last year.

But this is 2015-16 and for a team that had a 4-1 start, while playing real well on D, I don't think I'm abusing the word "pretender."

We were favored to win against the Bills and Texans. We should have beaten those teams. Win ONE of those games we are in the drivers seat. 

I don't really give a sh*t about our record in 14-15 when we had playoff oppty in front of us heading into Bills week. I am not blind to the fact that we are pointing in the right direction as a franchise, but this is the age of free agency and teams need to pounce on their golden oppty when they have the Bills at home and the reeling Texans in back to back weeks.

Also, part of my reasoning behind declaring the Jets pretenders is my disappointment in the OL play and the lack of a pass rush. It is my belief that if we DO run the table and make the playoffs, these particular weaknesses will make us a team that can't make a run to the Big Game like the 9-7 2011 Giants or any other playoff team that made a serious run through the tournament after a lackluster regular season. If we do sneak in, we will be hard pressed to overcome those flaws.

wow you must love to be miserable.  why not take the glass half full outlook instead?  Seriously, what does it cost you?  How about these apples:

NEW YORK JETS (7-5)
Offense/Defense Rankings: No. 10 (14 Rush, 15 Pass) & No. 5 (1 Rush, 18 Pass)

Turnovers: T7 (4)

The Skinny:  The Jets completed their 10th comeback win from a 10-point deficit or larger in the fourth quarter, celebrating a 23-20 OT triumph over the Giants when Josh Brown’s 48-yard field goal sailed left. Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif (12-131) and Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif (8-101) became the first Jets tandem to surpass 100 yards receiving in the same game since 1986 and Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif completed 72% of his passes for 390 yards and no interceptions. The Jets defense shut the Giants out in the second half and overtime and racked up three sacks of Eli Manning.  First-year head coach Todd Bowles has positioned his team to get on a late-season roll.

• Upvote 2

3-1 could be good enough ... our main challenge will come from Pitt, and they play Cincy & Denver the next two weeks. If Pitt win both of those, it'd be hard to begrudge them a spot in the post season.

Other than that, it's probably Buffalo and Houston, and we're a game up on both right now.

Right now the Jets are ahead of Pittsburgh but trail KC. As long as they keep winning they are in, but that is a tall order. Take them one at a time and start with beating Tennessee who have been a tough team to beat with Mariota at QB.

Right now the Jets are ahead of Pittsburgh but trail KC. As long as they keep winning they are in, but that is a tall order. Take them one at a time and start with beating Tennessee who have been a tough team to beat with Mariota at QB.

Although the Jets have the tiebreaker over the Steelers today, if they both win out the Steelers would get in because they'd match the Jets' conference record and have the tiebreaker edge in record against common opponents.  This is assuming the Chiefs won out too.

Edited by prime21
  • Upvote 2

He'll be here through 2017.  His game has nothing to do with speed, he has a chance to last like a Fitzgerald or Bolden. Nothing about this season says he's slowing down 

No, not at all.  (rolleyes)

Hey fool. Find a single post where I came close to saying any of this.  Otherwise shut the f up.  

The Jets win and some numbnuts need to come on and b1tch and moan over wins.  And whine that others aren't whiney shlts too

Lol ... another classic derelict retort from the highfalutin windbag that is Wet Nuts. 

The only fool b!tching and moaning around here on a regular basis is you. Look it up. 

Its fairy obvious who didn't watch or is a closet Giants fan.  

I'm a "closet Giants fan" because the Jets played poor enough to lose and certainly would've without help from Coughlin and the kicker?

Or were you disagreeing just to be the usual confrontational miserable douche that you are in nearly every thread you touch? ::yes::

No, not at all.  (rolleyes)

Lol ... another classic derelict retort from the highfalutin windbag that is Wet Nuts. 

The only fool b!tching and moaning around here on a regular basis is you. Look it up. 

I'm a "closet Giants fan" because the Jets played poor enough to lose and certainly would've without help from Coughlin and the kicker?

Or were you disagreeing just to be the usual confrontational miserable douche that you are in nearly every thread you touch? ::yes::

Windbag?  Better than clueless.

Waiting, where is the post where I thought the Jets were all world whatever off of sundays win???  You keep going off about the Giant game as if I didnt see it or am as dumb as you apparently are.  Im either a homer or a fool b1tching.  Which is it. You can't even make up your mind

You made the statements, repost for all of us.  Or STFU

And yes, Marshalls game has nothing to do with speed, only a idiot would argue otherwise.  Start with Marshall, was his point.

Comprehension is not one of your strong points

Hi guys, Pessimistic azzhole here.

Now that everyone has had 24 hrs to enjoy the victory, let's face it, this team doesn't make it to the dance. 

They gotta go 4-0 the rest of the way and that ain't happening. 

-again, disappointing OL play.

-again, the pass rush against a weak line was "eh"

Those two aspects of our team will be our undoing. The schedule says 3-1, at best, and 10-6 will leave us vastly improved over last year, but on the outside looking in this year.

This is an overall dopey post.  You beat who is put in front of you.  Winning by 3 points or 17, is secondary to getting the W.  And the OL protected Fitz well enough so that he could have the passing game of his career. 

And who says we have to go 4-0?  If we go 3-1 and beat the Bills we will likely make it.  Pitt has to play the Bengals and the Broncos. The Bills would have to gain a game and beat us again.  I think our chances are pretty decent, even if we lose to the Pats.  And the Pats are not looking exactly like a powerhouse now, in any event.

And by the way, calling yourself the "Voice of Reason" doesn't make it so, especially if you are going to spout off negative stuff just for the sake of being negative.

• Upvote 2

Windbag?  Better than clueless.

Waiting, where is the post where I thought the Jets were all world whatever off of sundays win???  You keep going off about the Giant game as if I didnt see it or am as dumb as you apparently are.  Im either a homer or a fool b1tching.  Which is it. You can't even make up your mind

You made the statements, repost for all of us.  Or STFU

And yes, Marshalls game has nothing to do with speed, only a idiot would argue otherwise.  Start with Marshall, was his point

Doesn't matter what you "think". Doesn't matter what moves he has. Marshall is a WR. When his speed drops off, he's done. 

Yes, you are all three (among others): clueless, a homer, and a fool b:tching. Now GFY.

Doesn't matter what you "think". Doesn't matter what moves he has. Marshall is a WR. When his speed drops off, he's done. 

Yes, you are all three (among others): clueless, a homer, and a fool b:tching. Now GFY.

I know you are but what am I??? Are you serious

Thats good.  You believe this.  He'll be here for years.  He never was fast, his success is built on his size and knowing how to use it.  You can believe whatever you want.  He's like a Bouldin and a Fitzgerald.  Neither have games built on speed and don't have to deal with losing speed.  

But do me a favor, put me on ignore.  Your, loss, not mine.  I don't need the education, you do.  

Thats good.  You believe this.  He'll be here for years.  He never was fast, his success is built on his size and knowing how to use it.  You can believe whatever you want.  He's like a Bouldin and a Fitzgerald.  Neither have games built on speed and don't have to deal with losing speed.  

But do me a favor, put me on ignore.  Your, loss, not mine.  I don't need the education, you do.  

That is wrong. Marshall has great burst and breakaway speed. He's not as fast as he once was but he still has it. Never said he didn't.

Sorry, you're not exactly schooling anyone around here like you always think, so get over yourself.

It was you that responded to my post yesterday, I normally ignore your garbage.

Edited by jetrider

True BM was never a burner 4.52 40 at the 2006 combine.. Wayne who was much smaller and had about the same speed and was successful..Some have it and some don't Steven Hill had speed but that's about it..

True BM was never a burner 4.52 40 at the 2006 combine.. Wayne who was much smaller and had about the same speed and was successful..Some have it and some don't Steven Hill had speed but that's about it..

I'm not complaining about his lack of speed.  Or think he needs to be fast, there's more than one way to play WR.  Point is Marshall is more like a Larry Fitzgerald, A Bouldin type.  His game and his success are not based on speed, therefore a drop in speed inst as problematic to his game.  Yeah he had some speed but he's dont that type of WR, he shouldnt have the drop off a blazer has when he losses his only asset. 

I'm not complaining about his lack of speed.  Or think he needs to be fast, there's more than one way to play WR.  Point is Marshall is more like a Larry Fitzgerald, A Bouldin type.  His game and his success are not based on speed, therefore a drop in speed inst as problematic to his game.  Yeah he had some speed but he's dont that type of WR, he shouldnt have the drop off a blazer has when he losses his only asset. 

You do realize I was agreeing with you right??:blink:

Here's another one for the "self hating" Jet fans:

Waaah, why are we hiring a defensive HC we need to address
our offense.  I'm not happy!!!

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz  3 hours ago

Jets offensive rankings:

Total: 10
Run: 14
Pass: 15
Scoring: 11

dont you know its because we have a soft schedule.  just you wait until Fitz has to come from behind in the 4th quarter, AMIRITE?

Hi guys, Pessimistic azzhole here.

Now that everyone has had 24 hrs to enjoy the victory, let's face it, this team doesn't make it to the dance. 

They gotta go 4-0 the rest of the way and that ain't happening. 

-again, disappointing OL play.

-again, the pass rush against a weak line was "eh"

Those two aspects of our team will be our undoing. The schedule says 3-1, at best, and 10-6 will leave us vastly improved over last year, but on the outside looking in this year.

Well Goodbye Happiness, I hardly knew ya ...

Hey, KRL, jet Nut, or whoever  else feels the need to lump me in with the always whining aboutwinning   crowd...I'm not part of that crowd..I do bring pessimism quite often, granted, but don't start telling me I'm gonna whine about what going on with the current, positive, direction of the franchise..I've made it clear that I'm happy about that.

you guys want to celebrate for 12 months for beating a sh1tty giants team? Go right ahead...I tell you they haven't shown me enough to get excited about and I'm being "dopey" and negative for negatives sake? Blow me.

Maybe you didn't catch the "pessimistic azzhole" part in my first sentence? 

Because I don't have 4000 posts, I can't share the way I see things? I've been posting here for long enough to complain. I've certainly been posting long enough for regulars to know I'm always posting with more than a little humorous pessimism. 

iMO, the 2015-16 Jets are a disappointment because they fvcked up 3-4 games they should have won. Those losses might cost them a playoff spot. I don't have a right to be pissed in 15-16 because they sucked in 14-15? Oh, should I give them a fvck ing participation trophy, too? 

...and I'm supposed to be lumped in with complainers!?!? I ain't complaining, I'm pissed. I reserve that fvck ing right without some doosh nozzles calling me "negative for negatives sake" or "dopey" or "same ol jets fan"

• Upvote 1

Hey, KRL, jet Nut, or whoever  else feels the need to lump me in with the always whining aboutwinning   crowd...I'm not part of that crowd..I do bring pessimism quite often, granted, but don't start telling me I'm gonna whine about what going on with the current, positive, direction of the franchise..I've made it clear that I'm happy about that.

you guys want to celebrate for 12 months for beating a sh1tty giants team? Go right ahead...I tell you they haven't shown me enough to get excited about and I'm being "dopey" and negative for negatives sake? Blow me.

Because I don't have 4000 posts, I can't share the way I see things? I've been posting here for long enough to complain. I've certainly been posting long enough for regulars to know I'm always posting with more than a little humorous pessimism. 

iMO, the 2015-16 Jets are a disappointment because they fvcked up 3-4 games they should have won. Those losses might cost them a playoff spot. I don't have a right to be pissed in 15-16 because they sucked in 14-15? Oh, should I give them a fvck ing participation trophy, too? 

...and I'm supposed to be lumped in with complainers!?!? I ain't complaining, I'm pissed. I reserve that fvck ing right without some doosh nozzles calling me "negative for negatives sake" or "dopey" or "same ol jets fan"

This is the wrong week to speak this. Fitzpatrick won 7 games bro. lol. 

You know, I get the pessimism.  But I believe that in the Jets 2 best seasons, 68 and 69 they only beat 1 team in the regular season that ended up with a winning record.

So, I'll enjoy the ride, and if they get hot at the right time, maybe they can make the playoffs and make a little noise.

"Dopey" may have been a bit strong, for which I apologize.  We are all entitled to our own opinion.  But we don't get a lot of great moments and you chose the moment after a gutsy come-from-behind win against a bitter rival to piss in our cheerios and describe our winning team, which appears to be fairly highly regarded by non-SOJFs, as "pretenders."  That is your right but don't expect us to agree or like it.

• Upvote 3