Winning records/schedule strength

Jetsfan80

Far too many people have decided to think negatively about our success this year.  The most common line?  Our inability to beat teams with winning records.  What we fail to realize is that this has been an unusual season.  The facts:

* Only 11 of the 32 teams (34 %) in the NFL have winning records heading into Week 14.  We're one of those 11. 

* Last year, 16 (50 %) of teams had winning records.  That's a far more typical number.

* We've only had 1 game this season against a team with a winning record currently.  New England, Week 7, on the road, and the game came down to the final possession. 

* Had we not beaten the Colts in Week 2, they would have a 7-5 record.  Evidently, this would have thus become a loss to a "quality team" rather than what it is:  A win over a current division leader.  I'll take the latter.

* Had we been swept by the Dolphins this year rather than the alternative, they would also have a 7-5 record.  I'm happy with sweeping them for the first time since 2007. 

* 2 other wins (Giants, Redskins) were against teams currently very much alive for a playoff spot.  That's a far cry from beating teams who have nothing to play for (like last year, when we beat the hapless Titans in Week 15 and the Dolphins in Week 17).

You can only play the schedule that's in front of you.  This isn't college football, where you make your own schedule and thus have control over playing cupcakes at home or tough games on the road.  We shouldn't apologize for our relative schedule strength or use it as a reason to be negative. 

The fact is, just about in the league has played a pretty weak schedule because of how top-heavy the league has been.  Only the Rams, 49ers, Bears and Lions can really say they played tough schedules.  Why?  The NFC West and NFC North are the only 2 divisions in the NFL that have multiple teams who have won 8 or more games so far this year. 

The Jets just won a meaningful December game this past Sunday.  It's OK to feel good about it.  Every game from here on out is like a playoff game anyways, and there are no easy wins in the NFL.  I'm simply thankful we have something to play for coming off a 4-12 season.  What say you?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, let's look at it this way; we got 'lucky' with the NFC division, but so did the great and powerful Patriots.  Being in the same division, we have basically the same division games (6), NFC East (4), AFC South (4).  So, out of 16 games, 14 are basically the same.  As the super bowl winners (or cheaters), they had the Stealers (with players suspended) and the Broncos, while we had the Raiders (up and down team) and Browns (okay that is a gimmie). We lost to one of our different teams (Oakland) and they lost to one of theirs (Broncos).  We were both beat by the same Eagles interestingly enough the same way with turnovers and ST.

They beat us once and they have 2 more wins.  Yes they are the better team, but nobody is talking about how they got so lucky with the NFC games, etc.  7-5 is still a winning record.  We play against professional football teams (okay maybe not Miami and Cleveland) and a win is a win.

Okay, let's look at it this way; we got 'lucky' with the NFC division, but so did the great and powerful Patriots.  Being in the same division, we have basically the same division games (6), NFC East (4), AFC South (4).  So, out of 16 games, 14 are basically the same.  As the super bowl winners (or cheaters), they had the Stealers (with players suspended) and the Broncos, while we had the Raiders (up and down team) and Browns (okay that is a gimmie). We lost to one of our different teams (Oakland) and they lost to one of theirs (Broncos).  We were both beat by the same Eagles interestingly enough the same way with turnovers and ST.

They beat us once and they have 2 more wins.  Yes they are the better team, but nobody is talking about how they got so lucky with the NFC games, etc.  7-5 is still a winning record.  We play against professional football teams (okay maybe not Miami and Cleveland) and a win is a win.

Pats have 2 more wins than the Jets?

If you're happy with moral victories and gift wins against crappy teams then sure, enjoy it while it lasts but personally I think the jets need to show a lot more before I'll be satisfied. I'm not seeing enough young talent to be optimistic about where this team is going... I see young teams like Oakland and Jacksonville that are building towards success in the near future and the jets who have on a solid nucleus of veterans but for how much longer? I'd rather take the higher draft picks than overachieve our talent level and languish in mediocrity for the near future

Pats have 2 more wins than the Jets?

Sorry, it was subtle - not counting the Jets loss to the Pats.... my point wasn't that the Jets were as good as the Pats, but that other than beating the Jets, the Pats only have two more wins (one a much harder team in the Steelers).  So, the schedule is what is it.

Looking at it another way, the Jets would be leading the division assuming they played in the same division as the Colts, and we would have a 2 game lead if we were in the NFC East.  In other words, there a much 'easier' schedules out there where teams have worst records.

Sorry, it was subtle - not counting the Jets loss to the Pats.... my point wasn't that the Jets were as good as the Pats, but that other than beating the Jets, the Pats only have two more wins (one a much harder team in the Steelers).  So, the schedule is what is it.

Looking at it another way, the Jets would be leading the division assuming they played in the same division as the Colts, and we would have a 2 game lead if we were in the NFC East.  In other words, there a much 'easier' schedules out there where teams have worst records.

I know that, I was just busting your chops.

I thought the premise of your post was very good, and I agree with you.

If you're happy with moral victories and gift wins against crappy teams then sure, enjoy it while it lasts but personally I think the jets need to show a lot more before I'll be satisfied. I'm not seeing enough young talent to be optimistic about where this team is going... I see young teams like Oakland and Jacksonville that are building towards success in the near future and the jets who have on a solid nucleus of veterans but for how much longer? I'd rather take the higher draft picks than overachieve our talent level and languish in mediocrity for the near future

I wasn't talking about moral victories, I was talking about real ones in opposition to the OPs comment about strength of schedule.  As far as Oakland is concerned, yeah they are young and 'building' but they have sucked for years.  How many top 5 picks does this team have.  And sure 5 wins is building, but that doesn't mean next year they would do better.  Can you imagine this site if we had that many top 5 picks in the last 10 years.  And for getting a better draft pick; the draft is a crap shoot.  And if you are not picking in the top 5 often 304 spots won't matter too much.  Look at us. We picked high this year and there still wasn't a QB for us.

I wasn't talking about moral victories, I was talking about real ones in opposition to the OPs comment about strength of schedule.  As far as Oakland is concerned, yeah they are young and 'building' but they have sucked for years.  How many top 5 picks does this team have.  And sure 5 wins is building, but that doesn't mean next year they would do better.  Can you imagine this site if we had that many top 5 picks in the last 10 years.  And for getting a better draft pick; the draft is a crap shoot.  And if you are not picking in the top 5 often 304 spots won't matter too much.  Look at us. We picked high this year and there still wasn't a QB for us.

I know the draft is a crap shoot but the jets have been terrible at adding young core players, who do we have in the last 5 years besides Sheldon/Mo? Adding Marshall and to a lesser extent revis were great moves but that's a band-aid ... the jets are not going anywhere until we get more young talent on the roster

I am not going to sugar coat it we got a break with the NFC division and teams in our conference schedule this year. Still being 7 and 5 is a lot better than 4 and 12 and no hope hah

So did the Bills and Dolphins.  Yet they're looking up at us in the Wild Card chase and Division.  Partly because the Bills lost to the Giants.  The Dolphins also lost to the Cowboys in addition to getting swept by us.

Meanwhile, the Patriots managed to lose to Philly too this past week.

I know the draft is a crap shoot but the jets have been terrible at adding young core players, who do we have in the last 5 years besides Sheldon/Mo? Adding Marshall and to a lesser extent revis were great moves but that's a band-aid ... the jets are not going anywhere until we get more young talent on the roster

Young, fast and physical wins in the NFL, not old, slow and soft.

Weak post my friend.    But I chuckled at the above line.  In fact...that is a mathematical absolute. 

No it's not.  You're forgetting to incorporate 8-8 records into the equation.  Some years there will be, say, 14 winning records, 4 teams that go 8-8, and the rest are below .500.  But in very few years will you find such a low number of winning records as there have been this year.  The league promotes parity, yet this season has been unusually top-heavy, with a LOT of below average squads. 

By the same token, you could also say there aren't a lot of TERRIBLE teams this year.  The Browns (2-10), Titans (3-9) and Chargers (3-9) are the top 3 teams in running for the top pick in the draft.  Everyone else has 4 wins or more.

Good points.

Who are the top QBs and where were they drafted?  Manning (not currently a top QB), Newton, Stafford and Luck were #1 overall.  Rivers and Ryan were Top 5.  Big Ben right outside Top 10.  Rodgers in the 20s.  Brees in the 2nd round.  Russell Wilson in 3rd.   Brady in 6th and Romo undrafted.

While it helps to be high, it is not a given you will get a G.O.A.T. candidate.

Every year you have a handful of teams that have those great win loss records, and then the losers that win 2 games.  In between is everyone else who regardless of schedule will hover at that 8-10 win mark.  These teams are inconstant from week to week which is where are Jets are.  Look great against the best team in the league and then look like they are a last place team the next.  It is like this every year in the NFL regardless of strength of schedule.

And the Jets have zero.

What is your point?

The stupidest statistic known to man...the Jets beat the Colts at the beginning of the season, the Colts had a winning record before the last game, the Colts have won their division for the past several years...if the Colts win next week, does that count as beating a team with a winning record? If you beat a really good team on opening day, that doesn't count, or a team that is 1-1 or a team that would have a winning record had you not beaten that team, had we lost both times to the Dolphins, we would have lost to a winning team rather than beating a losing team...the Pats beat us, but we've beaten ourselves in several games, so doesn't that count for something? It is so silly, it is borderline ridiculous.

The stupidest statistic known to man...the Jets beat the Colts at the beginning of the season, the Colts had a winning record before the last game, the Colts have won their division for the past several years...if the Colts win next week, does that count as beating a team with a winning record? If you beat a really good team on opening day, that doesn't count, or a team that is 1-1 or a team that would have a winning record had you not beaten that team, had we lost both times to the Dolphins, we would have lost to a winning team rather than beating a losing team...the Pats beat us, but we've beaten ourselves in several games, so doesn't that count for something? It is so silly, it is borderline ridiculous.

In the playoffs you're going to actually have to play good teams, the jets are not going to face the Browns or the Dolphins if they manage to get in

We have had an easy schedule -- the AFC East collectively has. There's a reason our division is 28-20 combined (the best record in the NFL.) We've played the AFC South and NFC East -- 8 games against the two worst divisions in football.

There's nothing to apologize for, but yeah, we haven't played a murder's row.

So did the Bills and Dolphins.  Yet they're looking up at us in the Wild Card chase and Division.  Partly because the Bills lost to the Giants.  The Dolphins also lost to the Cowboys in addition to getting swept by us.

Meanwhile, the Patriots managed to lose to Philly too this past week.

Bills and Dolphins also both lost to Jacksonville. :lol:

I am not suggesting that the Jets don't draft; I was stating that with the draft being a crap shoot that the Jets shouldn't tank winnable games to move up a few spots.  These spots are most important in the 1st round.  And you can only 'suck for luck' for so many years (not that it is doing much good for them this year).  You need to do your best in the draft.  But, to just diss the team because they have an 'easy' schedule and say, hey instead of the wins, you want to loose for a better draft position - is where I have a problem.

I'm happy with wins.

miserable fans dissect wins to tell others how unimpressive and meaningless those wins are for reasons that are pretty meaningless. 

Wins are wins.  I'll take more wins over fewer.  Jets aren't old and you don't get extra credit because you have a few young players while being a sub .500 team

I'm happy with wins.

miserable fans dissect wins to tell others how unimpressive and meaningless those wins are for reasons that are pretty meaningless. 

Wins are wins.  I'll take more wins over fewer.  Jets aren't old and you don't get extra credit because you have a few young players while being a sub .500 team

The Jets are old.

They are the 5th oldest team in the NFL.

People can say whatever they want, **** them. The Jets are still 7-5 and in position to make the playoffs

People were saying the same thing about the Mets earlier this year because they beat up on sh*tty teams and  struggled against team that had winning records. It worked out just fine come playoffs time didn't it?

I'm not saying the Jets are going to make the Superbowl, or even make the playoffs for that matter. However, if they do make it to the playoffs, anything can happen. I say just enjoy the ride. If people want to put them down because of who they beat, let them. It will be so much sweeter if the Jets do succeed

People can say whatever they want, **** them. The Jets are still 7-5 and in position to make the playoffs

People were saying the same thing about the Mets earlier this year because they beat up on sh*tty teams and  struggled against team that had winning records. It worked out just fine come playoffs time didn't it?

I'm not saying the Jets are going to make the Superbowl, or even make the playoffs for that matter. However, if they do make it to the playoffs, anything can happen. I say just enjoy the ride. If people want to put them down because of who they beat, let them. It will be so much sweeter if the Jets do succeed

the mets are loaded with young talent, the jets are loaded with aging veterans. There's a very good chance this team takes a step backwards next year unless the young guys start showing something

The Jets are old.

They are the 5th oldest team in the NFL.

And it effects nothing.  Old players are replaced and you move on.  Free agency changes a lot of the problems, you don't need multiple drafts.  We're old at positions you can be older, QB & OL.  The LBS need to be upgraded.  Point is replace a Colon, Pace, Cro and the age of the team changes drastically in relation to others.  I'd bet off the top of my head that the difference between the oldest roster and youngest isn't more than a few years

the mets are loaded with young talent, the jets are loaded with aging veterans. There's a very good chance this team takes a step backwards next year unless the young guys start showing something

But we're talking about this year. It has nothing to do with next year. This current team I feel can compete if they make it to the playoffs. I don't think they can win a Superbowl, but it would not shock me if they won a playoffs game or two

Archived